Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmachameleon View Post
It pisses me off that someone born with that much privilege, inheriting 1/50 of a billionaire's estate and attending top schools for all of his educational life, would want to spend their life's work instilling fear into so many just because of a distaste of globalization. I'm not exuberant as most others are about his death (on an anime-character pacifism scale, where Vash the Stampede is the highest score possible, I'm somewhere right below a Kenshin Himoura), as he was nothing more than a symbol at this point, and I fear retaliation of some sort.

Seriously, all of these terrorists need to chill down, play some Okami, and watch some Cowboy Bebop. They should put positive, self-fulfilling goals ahead of selfish goals that kill and injure others around them.
Most modern terrorists are not educated in the West, which makes it all the more easy to control them, because let's be honest, when they are young the are taught to hate the West.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 05-04-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmachameleon View Post
It pisses me off that someone born with that much privilege, inheriting 1/50 of a billionaire's estate and attending top schools for all of his educational life, would want to spend their life's work instilling fear into so many just because of a distaste of globalization. I'm not exuberant as most others are about his death (on an anime-character pacifism scale, where Vash the Stampede is the highest score possible, I'm somewhere right below a Kenshin Himoura), as he was nothing more than a symbol at this point, and I fear retaliation of some sort.

Seriously, all of these terrorists need to chill down, play some Okami, and watch some Cowboy Bebop. They should put positive, self-fulfilling goals ahead of selfish goals that kill and injure others around them.
Okami and Cowboy Bebop are positive and self-fulfilling?
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:30 PM
karmachameleon's Avatar
karmachameleon Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 1,223
Send a message via AIM to karmachameleon
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Okami and Cowboy Bebop are positive and self-fulfilling?
The first sentence and second sentence in that last part were two separate statements, the first being that they need to relax more and stop being so militant, the second being that they should think of others and live more peacefully; I never said either was positive or self-fulfilling. On top of that, the examples of Okami and Bebop were not meant to be taken concretely, they were meant to be taken as a parallel for something in their culture.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmachameleon View Post
The first sentence and second sentence in that last part were two separate statements, the first being that they need to relax more and stop being so militant, the second being that they should think of others and live more peacefully; I never said either was positive or self-fulfilling. On top of that, the examples of Okami and Bebop were not meant to be taken concretely, but as a parallel for something in their culture.
You are failing to understand that they will never just stop, they will always be doing what they are doing because they are taught from a very early age to spread their religion with the sword. But I am not saying this about all Muslims, only Muslim extremists.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:37 PM
karmachameleon's Avatar
karmachameleon Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 1,223
Send a message via AIM to karmachameleon
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
You are failing to understand that they will never just stop, they will always be doing what they are doing because they are taught from a very early age to spread their religion with the sword. But I am not saying this about all Muslims, only Muslim extremists.
I never said they would stop, I said they should stop, just like how people should stop killing and hurting each other.

Obviously, anti-American, anti-globalization sentiments won't just go away, but they can be quelled somewhat; just look at the work Greg Mortenson has done for example.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

So far, it does not seem like the anti-Western sentiment is being quelled at the least.

And I am not disagreeing with you, I am simply telling you that they won't.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Sight of the Stars's Avatar
Sight of the Stars Offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Top of Mt. Everest. -shivers- Cold.
Posts: 4,043
Send a message via AIM to Sight of the Stars Send a message via Skype™ to Sight of the Stars
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Okami and Cowboy Bebop are positive and self-fulfilling?
Very, Lusy. Very. They are infinitely fulfilling.

-cough-

I'm just happy he's dead. It sounds mean to celebrate someone's death, but that's probably what he did after the Twin Towers were destroyed. The nerve...
__________________
.previously known as White Wolf of the Snow.
Quote:
[12:38:59 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: ...So how do we do this? XD
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH"
[12:39:57 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: XDDD
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
So far, it does not seem like the anti-Western sentiment is being quelled at the least.

And I am not disagreeing with you, I am simply telling you that they won't.
Well they could be like Japan and just be all passive-aggressive about it rather than outright aggressive.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-06-2011, 02:53 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Well they could be like Japan and just be all passive-aggressive about it rather than outright aggressive.
Japan might as well have won WWII, considering we turned them into the world's second largest economy and our biggest ally on that half of the planet. They certainly got more out of it than we did. They have nothing to be aggressive about.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-06-2011, 03:00 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Japan might as well have won WWII, considering we turned them into the world's second largest economy and our biggest ally on that half of the planet. They certainly got more out of it than we did. They have nothing to be aggressive about.
Despite that, there is a sense of anti-Americanism in parts of Japan. There needs no logic in the existence that there is a passive-aggressive type of behaviour going on in parts of Japan against the US, possibly partially due to the culture that they have. It is only a statement of fact. Nothing more and nothing less.

And I disagree that the US got little in comparison to the Japanese. The US got a heck of a lot out of WWII. The strategy of throwing money at Europe to get a ton more money back through really the only existing industry in the world at that point in time was an ingenious idea. That is, the US rocketed themselves to the forefront with no other possible competition for a long time. Japan had to struggle back up after getting nuked twice and certainly its prosperity didn't come until 20 years after WWII.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-06-2011, 03:13 AM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Despite that, there is a sense of anti-Americanism in parts of Japan. There needs no logic in the existence that there is a passive-aggressive type of behaviour going on in parts of Japan against the US, possibly partially due to the culture that they have. It is only a statement of fact. Nothing more and nothing less.

And I disagree that the US got little in comparison to the Japanese. The US got a heck of a lot out of WWII. The strategy of throwing money at Europe to get a ton more money back through really the only existing industry in the world at that point in time was an ingenious idea. That is, the US rocketed themselves to the forefront with no other possible competition for a long time. Japan had to struggle back up after getting nuked twice and certainly its prosperity didn't come until 20 years after WWII.
Was referring specifically to the war in the Pacific, which the US didn't get much out of except showing off the nuclear bombs and giving the Navy and the Marines their day in the limelight. Had WWII not happened, Japan would likely be far worse off economically than they are today. Also, I meant that the reason they were passive-aggressive instead of aggressive was because they had little to be truly angered over. Although there will always be illogical resentment for any losers (and sometimes the winners too), I think it can be said that typically, the less justification for said resentment, the less aggression will result.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Master Zorua's Avatar
Master Zorua Offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Where you least expect me to be...
Posts: 2,612
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

There are very, very few people in thiis world that have ever existed that really did need to die. Osama is one of them, joining the ranks of Hitler, Stalin and Caligula.

On a lighter note, they named a drink after him. You make it with two shots and a splash of water.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Was referring specifically to the war in the Pacific, which the US didn't get much out of except showing off the nuclear bombs and giving the Navy and the Marines their day in the limelight. Had WWII not happened, Japan would likely be far worse off economically than they are today. Also, I meant that the reason they were passive-aggressive instead of aggressive was because they had little to be truly angered over. Although there will always be illogical resentment for any losers (and sometimes the winners too), I think it can be said that typically, the less justification for said resentment, the less aggression will result.
Economically speaking yes, but we also have to factor in that there are a lot of Japanese people who do truly hate America because of the bombs. We also didn't count the Japanese in American and Canada, who were placed in concentration camps. There's a lot of justified hate amongst the Japanese against US, economic boom or not.

Just look at it this way: Americans hate Osama for WTC, which killed ~3000 people. America easily did way more damage than that in Japan with two nuclear bombs, leaving those places uninhabitable for better or worse. That's a lot more dead people. I can't see how you can justify that the people in America can hate Osama while simultaneously state that Japan cannot do the same thing, when the situation in Japan was far worse off emotionally.

Seriously, if economics is what you think that matters, why should Osama hate America? America's been his economic benefactor for how many years?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky's Avatar
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Terseland.
Posts: 3,068
Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Economically speaking yes, but we also have to factor in that there are a lot of Japanese people who do truly hate America because of the bombs. We also didn't count the Japanese in American and Canada, who were placed in concentration camps. There's a lot of justified hate amongst the Japanese against US, economic boom or not.

Just look at it this way: Americans hate Osama for WTC, which killed ~3000 people. America easily did way more damage than that in Japan with two nuclear bombs, leaving those places uninhabitable for better or worse. That's a lot more dead people. I can't see how you can justify that the people in America can hate Osama while simultaneously state that Japan cannot do the same thing, when the situation in Japan was far worse off emotionally.

Seriously, if economics is what you think that matters, why should Osama hate America? America's been his economic benefactor for how many years?
America is righteous in that sense, because you notice that when they dropped those bombs, they were at a time of war. Also keep in mind that if it took TWO, the Japanese were far too stubborn to listen to a simple army marching over Tokyo.

Lus, the Middle East has no real reason or justification to hate the West, but yet they are as aggressive as one can be.
__________________
Latest Test/Work in Production:
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Kenny_C.002's Avatar
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hina <3
Posts: 12,268
Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Osama bin Laden is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
America is righteous in that sense, because you notice that when they dropped those bombs, they were at a time of war. Also keep in mind that if it took TWO, the Japanese were far too stubborn to listen to a simple army marching over Tokyo.
There's no such thing as righteous in war. America's "righteous" in it that they won the war and nothing else. Seriously, if I dropped an atomic bomb on you and killed your entire family, I highly doubt that you would just brush it off to "war". It's naive to say that anti-Americanism doesn't exist in Japan just because you think America is righteous. At least try to put yourself in the shoes of the other guy once in a while.

The bombings were within days of each other. If you think that a surrender would come that swiftly, all you need to see is that the surrender came 9 days after the second bombing. Therefore we can conclude that the Japanese had no chance to surrender after the first bomb. Interestingly enough, Hiroshima was a deliberate place for Americans to test the devastation of the atomic bomb as it was left untouched by regular bombings that happened on the rest of Japan. That frankly is sickening.

Second, America never tried to march on the streets of Tokyo. I don't understand why they would, considering the moat around Japan in similar vain to the moat around the US. After further review, the plan was to atomic Japan a couple more times until Japan can't retaliate against a march in Operation Downfall. In essence, Japan surrendered at the first possible opportunity, which was after the two atomic bombs.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com