Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Altrius Offline

Default OU Gen V Team - Power Up that Nidoking!

Hello all! Welcome to my first Gen V RMT.

I started playing competitively on Pokemon back in Gen IV andn i seriously enjoyed it. I didnt get particularly far nor did I do very well. But I was still learning back then and althought it wasnt successful I did enjoy it :) but anyways, here I am back with my first Gen V RMT, themed around one badass mofo pokemon - Nidoking.

Building the Team

Okay, so here he is. The monster that is Nidoking. I personally love him, hes a great pokemon, hugely diverse movepool and has some nice special attack. Call him my special sweeper, but when he sweeps. He damn well sweeps.

After looking around on Smogon for a while, I spotted an analysis about Venomoth here and my jaw literally dropped. Venomoth now has Quiver Dance. He also has Baton Pass. Do you see the brillience here? I grabbed Venomoth with both hands.

So I had this pair that worked well together. But I needed a physical sweeper. After looking around a little, I decided that Conkeldur would be a safe and solid addition to my team. He hits hard, can take hits and laughs at Blissywalls.

3 Down, 3 to go. I had my attacking force, and now it was time to take a defensive spin on it all. Ive never ever really liked Blissy because I think it looks stupid as sin. So I took a look at another pokemon ive always liked - Vaporeon. Being a bulky water and with Wish synergy I settled on her. Which then also sparked another idea in my head.

Vaporeons weakness's, and pretty much every other pokemon on my team aside from Venomoths', are all covered by Ferrothorns incredible typing. With just a 4x Weakness to fire, and a 2x to fighting Vaporeon and Ferrothorn compliment each other perfectly. Not only that Ferro is resistant to an INCREDIBLE 10 types and completely immune to poison! This makes him the perfect wall/staller, and I jumped at the first opportunity for him.

Finally, I realised I needed a Rapid spinner, as my team was going to be whittled down by entry hazards again and again. So after a look around I settled on Tentacruel for his typing and diverse movepool. Still not entirely sure about him however.

A closer Look

Lead/Set-up.

Venomoth
Item - Leftovers
Nature - Timid
Ability - Wonder Skin
EV's - 252 HP/252 SpD/4 SpecD
Moves
- Baton Pass
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz

Venomoth here shot right up there into OU with Gen V with just one key move - Quiver Dance. Not because Venomoths stats are amazing at all, they're average at best, although I would say more lackluster (Though to be fair the average stats are where they need to count) but because Venomoth can learn Baton Pass. Oh yea baby. Venomoth is my lead, and I will almost always open up with a Sleep Powder. If only Venomoth could learn Spore it would hit every time, but nevermind I guess. I'll have to settle with Sleep Powder. After Ive got the opponant asleep, they will either switch or try to wake them up. This gives me a maximum of 1-3 Quiver Dances. If I can pull of 3, its game over. 1 is not so definatel but some serious dentage will happen. After ive got my quiver dances done, its Baton Pass to Nidoking and watch him steamroll EVERYTHING. And that is pretty much Venomoths job. Bug Buzz is there just in case he has to do some form of fighting.

Sweepers

Nidoking
Item - Expert Belt
Nature - Modest
Ability - Sheer Force
EV's - 252 SPAtk/252SpD/4Def
Moves
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

The idea with Nidoking here is a simple one. Set him up to sweep the opposing team. Earth Power gives him the STAB while Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt give him a massive range of coverage, and with a +3 Quiver Dance behind those attacks there is literally nothing that can stop him. There hasnt been many pokemon that have given him a major problem so far, although without the Quiver Dances behind him hes nowhere near as good as he could be. Also, having generally lower base stats than many other pokemon in OU he cant take as many hits, if any at all. He literally is the definition of Glass cannon, which in a way is kind of upsetting. But watching him plough through teams just really makes up for it. Ive gone for Expert Belt because of the wide coverage he has, and to perhaps fake a Choice Item.

Conkeldurr
Item - Life Orb
Nature - Adamant
Ability - Guts
EV's - 120HP/252Atk/136SpDef
Moves
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

Conkeldurr is a monster, and the fact he bloody looks like one just helps out all the more. He literally screams "I dont need to move fast to kick your ass. I'll just wait till your offguard." with his sky high attack yet dismal speed. Meaty hp and with some decent Defense and SpDef too he can take the hits and pound them back. His movepool is simple enough. Bulk up to raise that attack to sky high levels, Drain Punch to knock them down and regain hp, Mach punch for priority if i think I can nab a quick kill and Payback to take care of pesky ghost and Psyhic types. Hes a beast, and seriously pounds faces in.

Walls

Ferrothorn
Item - Shed Skin
Nature - Relaxed
Ability - Iron Barbs
EV's - 252HP/48Def/208SpDef
Moves
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Ferrothorn is my Physical wall. He takes poundings and shrugs them off saying "That all you got mate?" He covers every weakness on my team (Aside from Venomoths fire weakness.) so I can switch him into anything I know isnt going to have a fire/fighting move. Sadly with those being very common moves these days I have to be particularly careful when switching him in. His moveset is standard enough. Ive no idea what the situation on Entry hazards is in Gen V, but I took Stealth Rock so he can set them up if needed. Leech seed is there for health regen. Power Whip for some STAB damage and Protect to stall them out with Leech Seed. I was going to take Leftovers, but I remembered that Chandelure is a monster with Shadow Tag (Meaning I would be unable to switch out) So I took Shed Skin instead.

Vaporeon
Item - Leftovers
Nature - Bold
Ability - Water Absorb
EV's - 248HP/252 def/8 SpDef
Moves
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Vaporeon is a beautiful pokemon, and the fact she is bulky as hell is even better. With a satisfying 463hp, and a respectable 240 def she laughs at the fighting types that threaten to take down Ferrothorn. Fire types? Dont even want to know about them thanks. She is the perfect staller, with leftovers for the health recovery, Wish to either use on herself or pass to a team member. Protect/Toxic are the usual strategy, and Scald is there for some STAB. She covers the rest of my teams weakness's, and has never let me down so far.

Support/Utility

Tentacruel
Item - Lum Berry
Nature - Calm
Ability - Liquid Ooze
EV's - 252HP/64Def/176Spdef.
Moves
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Hex

I took Tentacruel as my final option because I thought I needed a rapid spinner. However, to my dismay hes become pretty obseloute. Hes not particualrly useful and just doesnt seem to have the gusto the rest of my team has, nor has he acctually managed to nail any pokemon. He just dies everytime. Looking to replace him with something, although not entirely sure yet.

Conclusion

And there we have it! Team Nidoking fleshed out and torn apart. Because im not entirely sure about the threats in Gen V OU yet, im not going to do a threat list just yet. However, if anybody has any suggestions or problems then can spot in my team I am more than happy to listen and take any advice. Thank you for reading my RMT.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

Default Re: OU Gen V Team - Power Up that Nidoking!

Looks like quite a solid team overall, a few changes I'd make, however;
*Life Orb over Expert Belt on Nidoking. I don't know if you realised, but as well as removing the secondary effects of moves, it eliminates Life Orb's recoil. a permanent 0.3x boost is better than the occasional 0.2, I'm sure you'll agree!
*Timid on Nidoking. Between Sheer Force and Life Orb, you're getting a higher attack boost than you would from choice specs. Patching up his very average speed is more important.
*Stone Edge over Payback on Conkeldurr, Fight/Rock delivers better coverage this gen than Fight/Dark. Plus Conkeldurr is more often than not stalled out than outright killed, so Payback doesn't deliver as consistent damage as SE.

I'd also agree that Tentacruel looks pretty redundant on this team. No member of your team is Stealth Rock weak, you have two poisons to absorb Toxic Spikes (And a Guts abuser who loves them), and spikes take three turns to set up, by which point you can maul them with Nidoking or a +2 Venomoth before putting them to sleep and getting even more boosts (I love the combination of Quiver Dance and Sleep Powder, I use it on my Doredia). I'd personally suggest bringing in a fast psysical or special attacker, preferably with a ground resistance given that at the moment, Earthquake hits your entire team for neutral at worst. Aside from that, I see very few issues with this team.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Altrius Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
Looks like quite a solid team overall, a few changes I'd make, however;
*Life Orb over Expert Belt on Nidoking. I don't know if you realised, but as well as removing the secondary effects of moves, it eliminates Life Orb's recoil. a permanent 0.3x boost is better than the occasional 0.2, I'm sure you'll agree!
*Timid on Nidoking. Between Sheer Force and Life Orb, you're getting a higher attack boost than you would from choice specs. Patching up his very average speed is more important.
*Stone Edge over Payback on Conkeldurr, Fight/Rock delivers better coverage this gen than Fight/Dark. Plus Conkeldurr is more often than not stalled out than outright killed, so Payback doesn't deliver as consistent damage as SE.

I'd also agree that Tentacruel looks pretty redundant on this team. No member of your team is Stealth Rock weak, you have two poisons to absorb Toxic Spikes (And a Guts abuser who loves them), and spikes take three turns to set up, by which point you can maul them with Nidoking or a +2 Venomoth before putting them to sleep and getting even more boosts (I love the combination of Quiver Dance and Sleep Powder, I use it on my Doredia). I'd personally suggest bringing in a fast psysical or special attacker, preferably with a ground resistance given that at the moment, Earthquake hits your entire team for neutral at worst. Aside from that, I see very few issues with this team.
*I totally didnt realise it reduces the life orb damage done. Thats fantasitc! I'll defo be switching that out, thanks for pointing that out Gofre. Also yea changing the nature is a good idea too, now ive got that extra boost from life orb.
*I only took Payback because Ive seen a lot of Reinulus's floating around. However, because you said about switching Tentacruel out I was thinkinh perhaps an Accelgor? Hes fast as hell and has some meaty special attack and also resists ground types. Or perhaps Elecktross? No weakness's whatsoever and some nice stats.

What're your opinions on what to switch out for Tentacruel? And thanks for the analysis too Gofre :)
Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Knuckles Offline

Send a message via AIM to Knuckles Send a message via Yahoo to Knuckles

things to note mate...

first things first i can see your concept here and it looks pretty good at standing point.. i have to point out that anything with a combination of psychic/electric moves will put a serious dent on your team. latias <_< azelf and gothitelle are suspects that come to mind here..

i also noticed that you are more or less trying to find a better rapid spinner.. if you don't like tentacruel i'd recommend trying out hitmontop or starmie. donphan is an option but i personally wouldnt recommend it

Gofre pretty much pointed out everything else i was gonna cover,
Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

I honestly feel like you should replace the lead, ill try to find a better suggestion when i get home.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 04-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Team Razor Offline

I have tried this team(replaced ferrothorn with gliscor and conkel with machamp) in POL(see bottom section of the forum) for a while and often find that I have to baton pass to vaporeon instead because nidoking would have been OHKO'ed while Vaporeon tanks the hit and then I wasted the boosts. Therefore I suggest running Baton pass over scald. Yes, a taunter walls you, but I never seen a taunter in POL so I don't think they are that common anyway.

I'm back for real this time(I think).

Closed Thread