Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Post Why is there No Pokémon MMO?

Jim Avery, an editor of Nintedo Gal, wrote his vision of a Pokemon MMO.It’s no secret that in Nintendo’s eyes, “Pokémon” is synonymous with “money”. The series has been going strong for over 12 years now, and every time a new mai

More...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 AM
winstein Offline

Default Re: Why is there No Pokémon MMO?

Interesting stuff. I thought it will be an article one why there will not be a Pokemon MMORPG, but it turns out to be a visionary of a Pokemon MMORPG. As for me, I don't mind it if there is, as I am not an MMORPG person.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

While I admit a Pokemon MMO would be awesome, I don't blame Nintendo for not wanting to do it. It looks like it would take a massive amount of time, energy, resources, and commitment, and Nintendo seems like they already have their hands full with all the other game franchises they try to make games for.

It's definitely a hefty long-term commitment, and you need to keep in mind that if Nintendo were to launch this, it would make all previously released Pokemon games completely obsolete, which is a pretty massive risk. It's also clear that MMO games really only work well on the computer, which isn't Nintendo's playing field.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Team Razor Offline

hasn't this been posted a while ago?

Anyway, I would love a MMO but only if it is free once you bought it. If not, I can aswell start with wow again.

I'm back for real this time(I think).

Old 03-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I agree with the guy who wrote the article. I too feel the need to beat down a ten year old's Ho-oh.

What they would need to do is as follows: Get a third party developer to run and manage it as an MMO (to address Neo's point about not having nearly the time or commitment level from the main studio to do it), set up an expansion system similar to what The Old Republic is going to do (the game itself is free to play, but there would be updates every month or so that you could pay for to unlock new areas, quests, adventures, etc.), and most importantly, integrate the main series with the MMO. Make it so there are some things you can only do in the solo games and some things you can only do in the MMO, and have them be connected in some way. For instance, the main series can be for the solo gym quest, Legendary capturing, an independent storyline, etc. Meanwhile, the MMO would have it's own adventure, which you could transfer your character to and from at any time (although leveling would cap and/or scale, so you couldn't raise your Pokemon in the MMO, then bring them back into the game and use them to CRUSH ERRYTHING).
Old 03-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Master Zorua Offline

Actually, I think the Mystery Dungeon series would be more suitable for a Pokemon MMO. You'd get to choose out of all of the non-legends which base evo Pokemon you want to play as, and as you level up, you earn new moves, the ability to evolve, etc. Plus, you'd be able to create teams with other players. The legends would be at war with each other in Alliance/Horde style, which would open things up for PvP, while a central storyline of a mysterious legendary Pokemon creating the conflict behind the scenes plays out.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Phantasm.Angel Offline

Send a message via AIM to Phantasm.Angel

When I first read the title I thought it said "Why there is no Pokemon MMO" and I thought it was going to be a detailed and reasoned explanation by Nintendo or an employee of theirs about why there isn't a Pokemon MMORPG. Instead, I found it was another fan complaining about things beyond their control. Curse you dyslexia, curse you.

paired with the marvelous Eternal Moonlight, creator of the above
Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

To be honest, I don't think it would work well. Console and handheld games both do not have the power to support a server holding over 50, and even then you are pushing it. It would also be extremely difficult to create the game in the MMO style, considering everything is still an ugly pixilated sprite. Pokemon Crater used to be okay, but it still had many horrible traits, such as lag, or the occasional hack.

Bottom line is, it would really have to be PC based if the MMO wanted to be successful or not, and since the main appeal about Pokemon is that you can play it on the go, that would not be as popular as a 2cm by 2cm game cartridge.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:22 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

I could see a pokemon MMORPG working and working well, in sort of the style of the .Hack games. It would take alot of time, but then Super Mario Galaxy did to, and Warcraft always does, but they are both real games and not just still ideas on the chopping block that someone thought were too hard to do :)

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art