Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Speed-X Offline

Send a message via AIM to Speed-X
Default I'm sure a lot of us are tired of seeing....

Okay. Let's just give you this scenario. Have you ever gone to an art board in the "Mixed: Art" boards here, and see nothing but "OMG MEH ART SHOP" and whatnot? I'm sure that if you visit the "Mixed: Sprite Art" forum regularly, that's pretty much all you see: only a few gallery threads...but then you see "OMG SHOP" everywhere. EVERYWHERE. And the witty titles don't make things much better. It actually makes things more cringe-inducing, but I digress.

Anyways, I think it would make a WORLD of a difference if we were to just add a subforum to the "Mixed: Art Boards" forum that is strictly for request "shops." Therefore, no one will have to worry about seeing an effing plethora of all these spammy "shops" while they're trying to browse and whatnot, and having their thread be bumped down because of just some post in just another request thread. And better yet, I won't have quite as much of a red dent mark on my forehead for the numerous amount of facepalms I end up executing per day. :D XD

But, yeah. Having a subforum for all that would make not only browsing easier, but just make viewing said art forum less cringe-inducing. This would probably be only limited to request threads, because "schools" and whatnot aren't too big of a deal here at all (although, it's terrible on Pokefarm. Look if you dare, but...you have been warned....). Also, it could apply to not only the "Mixed: Sprite Art" board--which has such an influx that I could hang myself with it--but also benefit to all of the other art boards...of course.

And then, I personally don't believe the moderators should need to worry about moving or locking the existing request threads...then again, at least locking them and allowing the owner of said request thread to repost it in the new subforum, or something. Honestly, I'm unsure as to how that part were to be best worked out.

Thanks for reading. And I apologize if what I may have said may be taken as a little cruel, but it's an issue that really just needs to be confronted bluntly.

Last edited by Speed-X; 03-22-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Simmi Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Simmi Send a message via MSN to Simmi
Default Re: I'm sure a lot of us are tired of seeing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
Okay. Let's just give you this scenario. Have you ever gone to an art board in the "Mixed: Art" boards here, and see nothing but "OMG MEH ART SHOP" and whatnot? I'm sure that if you visit the "Mixed: Sprite Art" forum regularly, that's pretty much all you see: only a few gallery threads...but then you see "OMG SHOP" everywhere. EVERYWHERE. And the witty titles don't make things much better. It actually makes things more cringe-inducing, but I digress.

Anyways, I think it would make a WORLD of a difference if we were to just add a subforum to the "Mixed: Art Boards" forum that is strictly for request "shops." Therefore, no one will have to worry about seeing an effing plethora of all these spammy "shops" while they're trying to browse and whatnot, and having their thread be bumped down because of just some post in just another request thread. And better yet, I won't have quite as much of a red dent mark on my forehead for the numerous amount of facepalms I end up executing per day. :D XD

But, yeah. Having a subforum for all that would make not only browsing easier, but just make viewing said art forum less cringe-inducing. This would probably be only limited to request threads, because "schools" and whatnot aren't too big of a deal here at all (although, it's terrible on Pokefarm. Look if you dare, but...you have been warned....). Also, it could apply to not only the "Mixed: Sprite Art" board--which has such an influx that I could hang myself with it--but also benefit to all of the other art boards...of course.

And then, I personally don't believe the moderators should need to worry about moving or locking the existing request threads...then again, at least locking them and allowing the owner of said request thread to repost it in the new subforum, or something. Honestly, I'm unsure as to how that part were to be best worked out.

Thanks for reading. And I apologize if what I may have said may be taken as a little cruel, but it's an issue that really just needs to be confronted bluntly.

First off all, activity in the art section isn't that much these day, certainly isn't enough for a whole section to be added, not to mention the 3 new sections your suggesting (that is if you are talking about that), for sprite's, graphics and fan art. If your not talking about 3 different section's then I think it would be rather cluttered and hard for people to find a shop of the genre they are looking for, more the reason to have the shops in the sections they are in now.
Also in their own way the shops are a gallery worth taking a look at to see the work off the shop owner, I also don't see why you mentioned the title of the shops, I think it's rather dictorial if your expecting people to follow some standard on how to show creativity in the title's of their shops/gallery.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Speed-X Offline

Quote:
First off all, activity in the art section isn't that much these day, certainly isn't enough for a whole section to be added, not to mention the 3 new sections your suggesting
True, very true. But, firstly, I was suggesting one. One for each for request shops....

Quote:
it would be rather cluttered and hard for people to find a shop of the genre they are looking for, more the reason to have the shops in the sections they are in now.
I suppose that is rather true. *shrug*

Quote:
Also in their own way the shops are a gallery worth taking a look at to see the work off the shop owner, I also don't see why you mentioned the title of the shops, I think it's rather dictorial if your expecting people to follow some standard on how to show creativity in the title's of their shops/gallery.
Dictorial? Um. No. My intention is to have things a little more organized. =_= Then again, I suppose it doesn't matter much due to lack of activity lately in the art boards, which I suppose is an unfortunate area for posts to drop in.

Also, there is a clear difference between a gallery and a request shop. Besides, one or so galler(y/ies) can pretty much be the basis so that the artwork in said gallery can be used as a bit of a quicker and more convenient reference.
And no, I wasn't referring to changing anything about the titles, if that's what you were getting at by saying "dictorial." No...that was only my digressive opinion / comment.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Right now, the Sprite Art board isn’t exactly booming with activity to the point where this is needed. I understand your feelings about constructive criticism and trying to weed out junk from quality work, but right now, PE2K’s main focus is on increasing activity, not being very selective about who places their work here. If we start lashing out on every shop, we’re pretty much going to drive all the spriters (or pixel artists to be politically correct) out of town. If there’s fewer shops, sometimes we need to lower the bar and set standards lower to foster more activity and encouragement to submit work, even if its not expert quality. Something is better than nothing, and right now, we need more people submitting something instead of feeling tentative because their work is going to be stoned to death the moment they post it.

And I kind of agree with what other people said. Sometimes the more you have… the less you have. Adding more sections only dilutes the activity in the main section as everything becomes spread out, so instead of one somewhat active section, you have several with barely any activity at all, making the whole thing look dead and look like no one cares about submitting work here anymore. If anything, the art sections should probably be complied together, so the section is more active, more circulated, and there’s more going on in that area. The only purpose of making more subforums is because activity is very high in that area and the forum can afford to be divided into different criteria.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 AM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

From my point of view, yes there are a lot of shops, but you're going to get that regardless on any site. Shops are popular. Making a whole new section for them would be very difficult, as well as in a sense, pointless. The Sprite Board we have now is so full of shops, there would be no point in making a new sub forum for them. You'd still have the clutter that we have now.

As for locking the threads and making people repost them just so we can have them in the right section, it's not very fair. That's more work for the owner of the shop, and it can create hostilities for when people try to argue against moving (if any even do).

As for moving threads, again, that's more work for the mods of the art boards that honestly, we don't have time for. There are so many shops in the sprite boards that we'd be at it for weeks, maybe longer. There aren't many active art mods you know, and I honestly don't think it would be fair to push the duty onto the GMods so we can get it done.

I can understand your frustration though. There really are a lot of shops. You've just got to hang tough though and get through it. A new board in my opinion is pretty much out of the question because of how much is already within the existing board.

=^^= Nya
Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Right now, the Sprite Art board isn’t exactly booming with activity to the point where this is needed. I understand your feelings about constructive criticism and trying to weed out junk from quality work, but right now, PE2K’s main focus is on increasing activity, not being very selective about who places their work here. If we start lashing out on every shop, we’re pretty much going to drive all the spriters (or pixel artists to be politically correct) out of town. If there’s fewer shops, sometimes we need to lower the bar and set standards lower to foster more activity and encouragement to submit work, even if its not expert quality. Something is better than nothing, and right now, we need more people submitting something instead of feeling tentative because their work is going to be stoned to death the moment they post it.

And I kind of agree with what other people said. Sometimes the more you have… the less you have. Adding more sections only dilutes the activity in the main section as everything becomes spread out, so instead of one somewhat active section, you have several with barely any activity at all, making the whole thing look dead and look like no one cares about submitting work here anymore. If anything, the art sections should probably be complied together, so the section is more active, more circulated, and there’s more going on in that area. The only purpose of making more subforums is because activity is very high in that area and the forum can afford to be divided into different criteria.
If you want to increase activity here on the forums, simply promote Pokemon Snap: XXX if you know what I mean xD

On second thought, don't do that... we will get freaks in here.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Speed-X Offline

Just read through all the posts, and yeah. I suppose you all do have a point about the activity issue (Neo Pikachu mentioned) and about the locking and/or moving of the threads or something.

Perhaps not a new subforum, but what if there was just some way to seperate the projects, shops, and galleries away from each other without being too problematic or disruptive?
Although, I honestly would have no idea how that could work...*thinks*
Hm. Well, I dunno. Maybe I just have an OCD-complex when it comes to organization. But...*shrug* I've seen it work on plenty of other forums just fine. But I suppose they were added from the start. Meh. :\
Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 AM
Woodchuck Offline

Send a message via MSN to Woodchuck Send a message via Skype™ to Woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
Just read through all the posts, and yeah. I suppose you all do have a point about the activity issue (Neo Pikachu mentioned) and about the locking and/or moving of the threads or something.

Perhaps not a new subforum, but what if there was just some way to seperate the projects, shops, and galleries away from each other without being too problematic or disruptive?
Although, I honestly would have no idea how that could work...*thinks*
Hm. Well, I dunno. Maybe I just have an OCD-complex when it comes to organization. But...*shrug* I've seen it work on plenty of other forums just fine. But I suppose they were added from the start. Meh. :\
Maybe make it a requirement that everyone put [SHOP], [GALLERY], [PROJECT], etc. in the title of their thread to designate what type of thread it is? It would at least make things a tad more organized.

"Because without Twitter... You're f*cking nothing. Your life is just a burnt-out shell. You're like a husk."