Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: War Declared

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Call of Duty: I got hit, but I am better!

Battlefield: I am dead, but use that defibrillator and I am combat-ready again!

Medal of Honor: I am hit and in need of some serious bandaids!
The point

-------->

Your head

Quote:
Keep in mind that your comparison to a video game is just as insane as someone who would directly compare the Roman army tactics to the modern United States army.
I'm not comparing the realism, I'm pointing out that the tactics apply equally. You get behind cover, you poke out of cover, you shoot your opponents, you get back behind cover when they start firing back.

Quote:
Now, let me get back to watching Charles Dawkins. This is boring. Watch this if you want to continue the fight:

Duty Calls: The Calm Before the Storm
No one is forcing you to remain in the discussion.

Quote:
Walls become unimportant with a round that can puncture tank armor. I dunno', jus' sayin'!

The wall + .80 Cal = Kill

Though it would require one hell of a recoil arm to absorb an .80 cal sniper rifle.
You're missing the point. I'll spell it out for you.

THAT'S. NOT. NUMBERS. THAT. IS. TACTICS. If you have with you a sniper wielding a .80 calibre sniper rifle who is capable of taking the recoil then the fact that you have large numbers is irrelevant, because a) he's the only one that will be able to shoot the enemy through the walls and b) your victory is because you brought this person with you. Without that tactical advantage then the existence of the .80 calibre sniper rifle is meaningless, because cover tactics still apply.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
The point

-------->

Your head

I'm not comparing the realism, I'm pointing out that the tactics apply equally. You get behind cover, you poke out of cover, you shoot your opponents, you get back behind cover when they start firing back.

No one is forcing you to remain in the discussion.

You're missing the point. I'll spell it out for you.

THAT'S. NOT. NUMBERS. THAT. IS. TACTICS. If you have with you a sniper wielding a .80 calibre sniper rifle who is capable of taking the recoil then the fact that you have large numbers is irrelevant, because a) he's the only one that will be able to shoot the enemy through the walls and b) your victory is because you brought this person with you. Without that tactical advantage then the existence of the .80 calibre sniper rifle is meaningless, because cover tactics still apply.
Wait. What is the wall made of? We have not established that in this hypothetical situation. *Puts finger on his face to symbolize a mustache* "We must have everything as correct as possible so Lusankya will not flip out at us for making obscene predictions and stating our opinions."

You are also implying that there is only one person with a sniper rifle. And you are also implying that there is no other weapon that anyone has in that attack force that cannot blow a hole open in the wall, etc.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
What is your IQ?

Have you followed Khajmer or have you just been glued to your own comments, laughing: Ahaha! I'm smarticles!

Oh, and just a word with you. An untrained killer can kill a trained killer, no matter how or why or with what. I do not care if it was "luck" (there is no such thing), or God's fist (there is no such thing), or the fact that some politician decides he doesn't want to be the one written down in the history books as the one who lost the war (there are plenty of those).

If these hypothetical situations are meaningless to you, why argue in the first place? Is it the fact that you have an irresistible need to display your intelligence, you have all the time in the world, or you are as guilty as the rest of us?
I've followed Khajmer and Lucario and you, and I can easily tell you that how common .80 caliber bullets are has absolutely no bearing on whether 10 men are likely to kill 1 man, making the fact that you actually tried and argue that since .80 caliber bullets are common, the 10 will win. Yes, I am laughing, but I'm laughing at your stupidity, not my intelligence.

I didn't say hypothetical situations are meaningless to me, I said your hypothetical situations are meaningless since they have no bearing on reality whatsoever. What you argue is akin to hypothesizing that China will have 100 story tall Super-Gundams to fight the US with, and therefore the US would lose. It's totally meaningless. You have no evidence whatsoever to back up any of your claims. You have yet to connect any of your hypothetical scenarios to reality in any logical way. You have, in short, not said anything of worth.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
I've followed Khajmer and Lucario and you, and I can easily tell you that how common .80 caliber bullets are has absolutely no bearing on whether 10 men are likely to kill 1 man, making the fact that you actually tried and argue that since .80 caliber bullets are common, the 10 will win. Yes, I am laughing, but I'm laughing at your stupidity, not my intelligence.

I didn't say hypothetical situations are meaningless to me, I said your hypothetical situations are meaningless since they have no bearing on reality whatsoever. What you argue is akin to hypothesizing that China will have 100 story tall Super-Gundams to fight the US with, and therefore the US would lose. It's totally meaningless. You have no evidence whatsoever to back up any of your claims. You have yet to connect any of your hypothetical scenarios to reality in any logical way. You have, in short, not said anything of worth.
No, I am implying that numbers do matter in a battle. I do not care if there are tactics used or not. Numbers significantly influence the course of the battle, and that is what I am trying to get at. You cannot simply say, "Nah! If a person just so happens to be lugging around a tactical nuke with them, they'll win!" And since China has the LARGEST army in the world, it is only natural that I use them in a hypothetical situation, and because you said that America could not possibly be beaten in a head on fight, I attempted to prove that China's numbers would definitely influence the battle significantly and probably bring about a victory.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
You are also implying that there is only one person with a sniper rifle. And you are also implying that there is no other weapon that anyone has in that attack force that cannot blow a hole open in the wall, etc.
But it is not, follow me on this one, not the numbers that are causing their victory. Without these assets, the numbers are worthless. Numbers are only, only, only ever an asset, they are not a substitute for strategy, and there is always a tactical way to defeat the opponent's assets. Look at the Vietcong. In a world where outnumbering your enemy means victory, the sheer number of troops we pumped into Nam should have won easily. However, we didn't win by numbers, because they were able to use guerrilla tactics to make them meaningless. The only way we would have been able to win would have been carpetbombing, napalm, or lots and lots of fire. Us having the larger army was meaningless.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
No, I am implying that numbers do matter in a battle. I do not care if there are tactics used or not. Numbers significantly influence the course of the battle, and that is what I am trying to get at. You cannot simply say, "Nah! If a person just so happens to be lugging around a tactical nuke with them, they'll win!" And since China has the LARGEST army in the world, it is only natural that I use them in a hypothetical situation, and because you said that America could not possibly be beaten in a head on fight, I attempted to prove that China's numbers would definitely influence the battle significantly and probably bring about a victory.
And I showed you, repeatedly, that numbers are irrelevant against an enemy with technological, strategic, aerial, naval, and every other form of superiority you can imagine that isn't numbers. China may have the largest army in the world, but the majority of that army has never done any actual fighting and has relatively crappy training and weaponry compared to the United States. And no, they aren't going to pull off a miracle where they win despite the odds being massively against them. Having a mere 1 million more cannon fodder against a foe that is superior in every other way just means you'll have 1 million more casualties. So yes, they have a large army, and that fact will influence the war, but it's not nearly enough to bring about a victory.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."

Last edited by Lusankya; 03-26-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 PM

What proof? You have only said, "Pshah! America will just shoot its big guns they just have laying around!"

Do you realize it takes time to get those things set up? It takes time to redeploy troops that are somewhere where they are really not needed to where they are? By the time they got there, Los Angeles would look worse than the recent movie featuring the city. (love me for making a movie reference)

I do not think America just has a freakin' mechanized army just sitting around, waiting for the Chinese to come and attack.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
Numbers are and always will be the weakest of strategic assets. In a battle between two militaries that are equal in every single other respect, then yes, numbers will bring about a large advantage. However, between America and China, we have superior technology, superior experience, superior training, superior strategic positioning, superior allies, and are overall superior in pretty much every military aspect except numbers, meaning that as far as the Chinese army is concerned, the only use those higher numbers would be against us is literally to Zerg Rush.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:14 PM

Are you sure about the whole technology part? The Chinese have literally copied our jet fighters. As a matter of fact, it was on the news.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
What proof? You have only said, "Pshah! America will just shoot its big guns they just have laying around!"

Do you realize it takes time to get those things set up? It takes time to redeploy troops that are somewhere where they are really not needed to where they are? By the time they got there, Los Angeles would look worse than the recent movie featuring the city. (love me for making a movie reference)

I do not think America just has a freakin' mechanized army just sitting around, waiting for the Chinese to come and attack.
Wait, wut?

Did you honestly just imply that China would be able to get a first strike in on American soil?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh wait, you were serious.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

May I point out that the Chinese navy is smaller than the American navy and is currently still planning to make a navy that is capable of combat on the open ocean? Their navy can barely cross the Pacific at all, let alone defeat the American navy in the process.

Art Gallery
Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:

Actually, between active duty military currently stationed in the United States and our reserve troops we have about 1.5 million ready to defend the US and its territories in the event of an attack.

Quote:
Are you sure about the whole technology part? The Chinese have literally copied our jet fighters. As a matter of fact, it was on the news.
And meanwhile, as they copy our jet fighters, we're developing new ones. See, the funny thing about copycats is, they always tend to be behind.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Actually, between active duty military currently stationed in the United States and our reserve troops we have about 1.5 million ready to defend the US and its territories in the event of an attack.

And meanwhile, as they copy our jet fighters, we're developing new ones. See, the funny thing about copycats is, they always tend to be behind.
A civilized conversation commences while we hear insane and highly questionable laughter in the background.

Hm, reserves? Weekend warriors? 1.5 million just sitting around in the United States? Doubt they are actual field troops man. I have lived at military bases before, and the only thing I can tell you is that they do not have actual armed troops there. Yeah, the guards have a sidearm or an m4 (that is not even loaded half the time), most of it is simply intelligence gathering. So, 1.5 million... doubt it. Maybe 900,000 actual COMBAT READY troops.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
A civilized conversation commences while we hear insane and highly questionable laughter in the background.

Hm, reserves? Weekend warriors? 1.5 million just sitting around in the United States? Doubt they are actual field troops man. I have lived at military bases before, and the only thing I can tell you is that they do not have actual armed troops there. Yeah, the guards have a sidearm or an m4 (that is not even loaded half the time), most of it is simply intelligence gathering. So, 1.5 million... doubt it. Maybe 900,000 actual COMBAT READY troops.
Because you are clearly a military authority on the combat capabilities of the US military, what with your gifted and privy knowledge on classified government information, and you clearly of all people, ought to know just how many combat ready troops the US has having done no research into this whatsoever.

Art Gallery
Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:

They don't carry arms because they don't expect to be attacked any time soon. Every good soldier is combat ready in terms of their training, and I would be willing to wager that the arms are stored in a convenient place where the soldiers can get to them quickly in the event of an attack. This is assuming, of course, that Lus is wrong about any attacker being able to launch a first assault on the US directly, which he is not, insane and self-assured ego aside. Between our radar and satellite surveillance, we'd see them coming a mile away. Now, a single surprise aerial raid akin to Pearl Harbor? Yeah, I imagine they'd be able to pull that off. But they'd never get boots on the ground and entrenched long enough to not be blown to smithereens by our air force.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Because you are clearly a military authority on the combat capabilities of the US military, what with your gifted and privy knowledge on classified government information, and you clearly of all people, ought to know just how many combat ready troops the US has having done no research into this whatsoever.
I have been all around the world with my family to military bases thank you, and I have had many friends to have been deployed. I suggest you keep a level tone, since I doubt you have even been ON a base before. (I have lived on one for over 7 years)

And Khajmer, I can guarantee that those soldiers on not combat ready (so many of them do not actually fit the requirements to even get deployed due to obesity).

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 03-26-2011 at 10:37 PM.