Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Obsessiforge Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Obsessiforge
Default Avril Lavigne Is Hot

Introduction:

Basically, I saw the banlist of the tier, and noticed that Deoxys-S was not in there, and was inspired to build a team to abuse the entry hazards Deoxys-S provides. I decided that using Choiced users with entry hazards was the way to go. The good thing is, this generation, there came Pokemon with abnormally huge attacking stats, comparable to that of the Ubers. Equipping them with Choiced items, and supporting them with entry hazards will make them incredibly hard to wall.

Game Plan:

Get Spikes and Stealth Rock up with Deoxys-S and work from there; At the very least, I aim for one layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock, as the absolute minimum. This team uses the old school Dragon+Steel combo from the previous generation, and unsurprisingly has great defensive and offensive synergy even in the 5th gen. It also uses two Special Attackers, in Genosect and Lucario (OMG SPECS LUCARIO N00B!!!), and two Physical Attackers, which are Choice Band Salamence and Garchomp. Salamence and Garchomp crack the mid game open with their boosted attacks, and steel types coming into wall them are severely weakened out by the dual Outrages. Late game, I usually find Genosect finishing off the game with its powerful Bug Buzz, or Lucario cleaning up the remains with Vacuum Wave. I feel that the team has covered most threats relatively well. However, I do think that some threats still cause it some problems, such as weather teams, and this is where I need help.

==========================

Indepth:

Deoxys-S @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Superpower

Stealth Rock and Spikes is obvious for an entry hazard lead. Taunt is to stop slower leads like Skarmory, Forretress, and Nattorei from getting hazards down. Superpower is there for the random Lead Tyranitar I've been seeing, and Heatran switching in, expecting me to have Extremespeed or some other resisted move. 252 Spe to outspeed every non Choice Scarf lead, and 252 HP to take random attacks from Taunted leads. Deoxys-S almost always guarantees that I get up a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock, and always causes a switch once it Taunts the opposing lead. Sometimes if I manage to lay down all 3 layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock, I save Deoxys-S as death fodder, to scout movesets of threats I'm unsure of, or take crippling status aimed at one of the team members. Something like Skarmory or Nattorei wasn't chosen, because Speed is everything for this team and its fast paced nature, so Deoxys-S was the obvious choice. I don't bother to Taunt against offensive leads like Meteor Mash+Bullet Punch Metagross (yes it exists even in this gen), and just get Stealth Rock down.

---

Shandera (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef/ 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Energy Ball

In every Spike-Stacking team, a Spin-Blocker is necessary, this team is no exception; With Rotom-A gone as a Spin-Blocker and Revenge killer, I had to move onto the next best thing. This thing absolutely loves entry hazards even with no Special Attack boosting item. It managed to 2HKO Kerudio after hazards damage, which is unreal. The Spread and nature is obvious for a revenge killer, and there is no reason to NOT use Shadow Tag on a Choice Scarf Shandera. Shandera usually comes into the threats Genosect pulls out; Heatran loves to switch into Genosect (since mine lacks a move to significantly hurt it with) and firing of Flamethrowers, removing Heatran with HP Ground, means that Genosect can abuse its moves easier, and more often than not, I find Genosect rampaging through the foe's team with Heatran removed. TBH, Shandera is best defined as the Wobbuffet of the 5th gen, with a Choice Scarf and Shadow Tag, anything locked into the wrong move is guaranteed to be eliminated from the battle.

---

Lucario (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Vacuum Wave
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball
- Close Combat

"****** ******, WTF SPECS LUKE", is what I get when I destroy their beloved Doryuuzu with Vacuum Wave. Close Combat bluffs a Swords Dance set, so people tend to switch in their Physical walls in, only to be destroyed by a boosted Aura Sphere. Shadow Ball is chosen over Dark Pulse, since Aura Sphere and Shadow ball have perfect coverage, hitting everything in the metagame. Vacuum Wave has saved my butt many times, once I was battling some weird lategame Rock Polish Rhyperior with only Salamence and Lucario left, it OHKOed the damn thing at 57%. Close Combat is necessary for Blissey or Evolution Stone Chansey. Currently, Fighting- type attacks are being thrown around the metagame like crazy, from Technician Breloom, and the dominant Bulk Up Roobushin. I decided to take advantage of this and abuse Lucario's signature move in Aura Sphere. The reason why I didn't opt for a Swords Dance Lucario, is a) Because this is an all choice team, and b)to overwhelm physically bulky threats aiming to sponge Close Combats. Finally Lucario is the first Steel- type of my Steel+Dragon core.

---

Genosekuto @ Choice Specs
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def/ 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

One of the best new threats to enter the game, imo. With a Download Sp. Atk boost, and Choice Specs, its attacks do an immense amount of damage even when resisted. Between those four moves, it has perfect coverage, outside of Heatran, and more often than not, I find myself using Bug Buzz, which is a highly useful sweeping tool late game, with Heatran, and faster Choice Scarf Pokemon removed. However, abusing Bug Buzz is fun and all, opposing Choice Scarf Shandera pose a huge threat, towards Genosect locked into Bug Buzz. This is why I scout first before going on to abuse its STAB. I've been using Modest for quite some time, and recently started using Timid nature. Nowadays, I'm seeing stuff like Adamant Salamence, and Modest Raikou, the former OHKOed by Ice Beam, and Raikou destroyed by Bug Buzz after Spikes+SR damage.

---

Salamence (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Aqua Tail
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Nothing really changed about Salamence this gen.; it's still a potent attacker, and only fears the bulky Steel- types, Metagross, Bronzong, Registeel. These Steel- types are relatively easy to stop, as most try to come in on Genosect for some reason, and take big damage from Bug Buzz, or are trapped and killed by Shandera. Aqua Tail is there to take advantage of the rain induced by Politoed. IMO, Fire Fang is pretty useless; I never actually find Salamence facing Nattorei, since by the time Salamence comes in, Nattorei is gone, so I was wondering what to put in there, maybe Dragon Tail to spread around Spikes damage?

---

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake

In Gen. 4, I always heard great things about Garchomp, about its power, its bulk. But now that I've used it, I can say that its a great mix between power and bulk. With defenses equivalent to those of Swampert, Garchomp has the power to take on boosted attacks from stat uppers, and continue its terrorism. Garchomp comes in once its partner Salamence has punched holes in the opponent's team, and finishes the remains with Dragon Claw. Most people expect Garchomp to be the Scarf variant, and expect its Dragon- attacks to be "weak" enough to sponge, and boy are they wrong when their Bulk Up Roobushin goes down to Outrage. Garchomp's speed is also incredibly useful to outspeed the new threats with those troll Speed stats (98, 97, 101).

---
Closed Thread