Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Black/White 2 » Pokemon: Black/White

Pokemon: Black/White Discuss the game: Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. Ask/Answer questions and discussions about Pokemon Black/White only.

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Pokemon Black and White: Snap Judgment Review

I had gotten mine several weeks ago. I will review the game:

TitaniumAnimations, SNAP JUDGMENT REVIEW!

Graphics - Somewhat impressive. For a DS game, the graphics are about par. I have played games with far more impressive graphics, such as The Conduit (DS) and Mini Ninjas (DS).

The graphics were announced to be fully 3D rendered, which quite frankly isn't true. I am glad they renounced such a claim, for here is why. Hardly anything is any different from any other game graphics-wise. This was a major disappointment, and so far, it all seems like the camera angle has changed, and that's all. Honestly, it really got my blood boiling when I saw the recycled "3D" sprites in the Pokemon Center. The same carefully shaded drawings were simply... well... Drawings, nothing 3D about them.

I understand that graphics have never been apart of the Pokemon game, but ever since the release of Pokemon: Gale of Darkness, my gaming gut has had an irresistible hunger for something of that design. So far, bogus. Crummy pieces of pixel is all I have ever got, I know it is not much to argue about, and to be honest, it is quite alright. But when you want to boast about something, at least make in mentionable... Like Bullet Storm!

Gameplay - The gameplay has always run on the same formula since day one, with an occasional exception here or there. I have to give the Pokemon Company credit for having the skills to keep feeding us the same game over and over again. To be honest, I have no idea how many times I have to capture a freaking Pikachu to realize I have played the game before. It works though, and despite my constant reluctance to pick up the most "new" and "improved" Pokemon game, I always find myself soullessly paying for the game and taking a weekend and a half just to beat the game and make notes about the new Pokemon and features.

If you are a new or somewhat out of wack about the RPG-style gameplay of Pokemon, let me lay it out for you.

You get six slots in your little army of Pokemon to fill up. Each Pokemon fills up a slot. These Pokemon have several different types, ranging from Water and Fire, to insanity like Ghost and Psychic. Each type having their own strengths and weaknesses, it is simply a complex (ironic) rock-paper-scizzors game with the feature to legally claim, "No! That was paper, not scizzors!"

Overall, nothing has changed in the gameplay department either. An occasional "something new" has been added, such as triple battles and rotation battles, but it just leaves you hanging, as if that was ALL they could have thought of? Really? It all seems like one giant filler, and I honest-to-God hope it is, because if this is the type of recycled stuff they will be sending me... I will consider that money I for some zombie-fying reason pour into it, a complete and utter waste.

Pokemon - If you are unaware of how Pokemon works, you should really learn. You see, after one or two years of having the same monsters running willnilly throughout the world, Pokemon has to come up with some new ones. Each one having a new type combination, look, and power.

One thing about this really bugs be though. How in the heck can you run around the world, and then all of the sudden meet new Pokemon, then go back to your region and figure out they were all over the place? Where is the logic in that?

Anyway, the new Pokemon are hit or miss. Some cool ones have been added, but most of them seem like recycled disappointments or, more probable, MOSTLY evolutions of Garbodor:

Jokes aside, I really find the new Pokemon to be disappointments. It is not fair to say all are bad, for many of them are still good or even excellent. But, despite me trying to justify their despicable existence, I can't find the courage to tell you a lie. A lot of the Pokemon seem like simple evolutions, but with different names and evolution trees. I have heard people tell me that my disappointment was because I have come to expect too much, and that the designs aren't getting worse.

Where is the logic in that, too? If they were good enough for me to love them before, and now I am disappointed, they obviously are getting worse. I find it strange how I have been told that so many times lately. Listen, I like Pokemon, and most of it is good. Why is it such a crime for me to criticize the new game?

Story - The story is pretty much as recycled as the other games. You decide to go on an adventure to capture Pokemon and beat gym leaders, and on the way encounter an evil crime syndicate that is after the two legendaries of the new region, which lead to you capturing it yourself and using it for good (who would do that? I mean, if I had an all-powerful Pokemon, I'd abuse the word). The story is not linear, and at best, is the same for everyone.

About the team, it is quite ironic to hear in the movies how the world of Pokemon is such a peaceful paradise, but in every region there is some evil, heavily organised crime syndicate.

It would be nice if there was some form of customization to the game at least. But no, that is not even a courtesy provided by GameFreak.

Competition - The game offers over 100 more Pokemon to the scene, completely revamping game style. With the added feature of Triple Battles and Rotation battles, despite being overly hyped, still add some interesting aspects to competitive gaming. This is good, as this will help bring a little more variety to battles, and battle commentators won't find themselves saying, "And so, obviously, the Fire won against the Grass... again..."

Also, the multiplayer gameplay has been completely refreshed. No longer do you have to rely on the pitiful Friend Code system, which is one of the things that made me think the Wii was simply a petrified dinosaur poop. You are able to battle against random players. This is great, and at least the competitive side of the game is getting something new. All that is needed now is some form of easy communication and a server-based system, where you are able to know who you are going against and pick the game you would be able to enjoy the most.

Multiplayer has never been Pokemon's pride and joy. It is nice to see that after years of total obliviousness to Wi-Fi, they have finally tapped into the ancient power. They have harnessed it well, and it is exciting to see it being put to good use!

Verdict - This Pokemon game (Black and White) and its new Pokemon are, quite frankly, just another Pokemon turd, no matter how shiny or sprinkled it is. Do not expect too much, and you will be pleased... Sounds kind of like what they told me when I traveled to Austria.

The Pokemon are interesting enough, but they had better come up with something more impressive or I will no longer be a zombie. But with new additions to multiplayer, this not only adds more to the replay value, it adds something a little different to the overall gameplay. Despite the fact that the game's general formula is reused over and over again, and despite the annoyance of it, it is better than changing it into something nobody would ever like.

To be honest, it is just another Pokemon game, and unless you are a fan of the Pokemon games, I would not pick it up... Don't look at it even, for its mesmerizing spell will force you to buy it.
Rating: 7.5/10

- Long live Negima!

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 03-04-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420
Thumbs down Re: Pokemon Black and White: Snap Judgment Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
I will consider that money I for some zombie-fying reason pour into it, a complete and utter waste.
all i heard was blah blah blah! money and more blah..
really if you didnt want to buy Mr Masuda a new pair of boxers then you should have spent your money elsewhere..
I doubt anyone here forced you to buy the game at gunpoint, with that said you can always go to gamestop and trade in your Gen V for ..fill in the blank

Pokérus Empire
Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy
Default Re: Pokemon Black and White: Snap Judgment Review

It's funny, I'm normally an 'OMG new pokemon not as gooder'
fan myself, but something about this generations pokemon..I actually like most of them :).
Plus, it's not like the new generation is replacing the older ones, so I can always go back and play them to...
And as far as the story goes, it's never about the surface story they give us, it's making up more in depth ideas from what little throw away lines and details that always drag me in.
Imagination, fanfic and pokemon are a wonderful mix <3

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr420 View Post
all i heard was blah blah blah! money and more blah..
really if you didnt want to buy Mr Masuda a new pair of boxers then you should have spent your money elsewhere..
I doubt anyone here forced you to buy the game at gunpoint, with that said you can always go to gamestop and trade in your Gen V for ..fill in the blank
Maybe you should actually read the review.

Is it the fact that I did everything in my power and used every single bit, no matter how small it was, of dislike and contempt while writing this review so my complete and utter adoration for Pokemon did not get in the way? I am trying to have a non-biased review, unlike my SS/HG review, and not have it some mindless fangasm.

- Long live Negima!

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 03-04-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Maybe you should actually read the review.- Long live Negima!
^ im straight
i was just busting your chops for laughs..
I'm already playing it so reading reviews isnt on my itinerary

Pokérus Empire
Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr420 View Post
^ im straight
i was just busting your chops for laughs..
I'm already playing it so reading reviews isnt on my itinerary
I am prepared to defend myself when I write these things, so don't be offended if I seem rather harsh.

- Long live Negima!