Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Male Snorunt Offline

Default Religion

Many of us have and accept a religion, (while some do not) and most of us were born to parents who shared that religion and brought us up to believe in it. But what religion do you think you would have adopted if you were born without a religion? Why would you choose it?

I myself am a Catholic, and I would have probably worshipped Greek gods or been a Jainist (sp?) if I wasn't born Catholic. This is because I tend to lean toward more interesting things, and the Greek gods really appeal to me in that sense. I might have been a Jainist because I believe it's wrong to hurt any other creatures.

Also, we can use this thread to discuss interesting religions.

Last edited by Male Snorunt; 10-11-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Skylands Offline

Default Re: Religion

I am non-religious (possibly agnostic) now, but I was originally baptized as a Catholic when I was a baby and practiced the faith until I finished 8th grade.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Male Snorunt Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylands View Post
I am non-religious (possibly agnostic) now, but I was originally baptized as a Catholic when I was a baby and practiced the faith until I finished 8th grade.
Oh? What made you lose faith?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I'm a deistic agnostic. My mother had a bit of a bout with paganism when I was very young but for most of my life she's been an atheist, and my grandmother shares my agnostic beliefs. I don't know or care about my father's religion.

I actually was born without a religion, so I'll explain why I believe what I do. I see too much pain and hardship to accept that there is a merciful God watching out for us, and too much joy and happiness to believe there could be a cruel one. On the other hand, there's too much perfection and beauty in nature for me to believe that the universe simply is. For instance, what are the possible odds that the moon of this planet, one of only two planets in the entire universe we know for sure could possibly sustain life (the other having just been discovered recently), and where life did develop, having a moon that is exactly the right size and exactly the right distance to create the perfect eclipse when it passes between us... I don't believe that could have just happened on its own.

As for the agnosticism though, I recognize that it's simply too freaking impossible for humans to possibly comprehend God and his/her/their/His/Her/Their will, and therefore don't think any of the organized religions is absolutely right. As far as I'm concerned, anyone's personal interpretation of God's will is their business.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Skylands Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male Snorunt View Post
Oh? What made you lose faith?
To be quite honest, I was never interested in religion in the first place. My mom was Catholic and wanted me to complete everything up to Confirmation.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Retro-Smasher Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Touchy topic is touchy.

Anyways, I'm personally a non-religious person, because it seems ridiculous and far fetched that there could be anything supernatural out there (other than ghosts of course :P) so I guess you can I'm a rationalist.

If anything, I'd probably be a pagan, because that whole ideal really appeals to me, but if I was forced into a religion, it'd be the Celtic religion. Basically, their idea of afterlife is having sex, killing each other, and eating as much as you want. Those damn Celts had the best folklore.

Thanks Mw!
Smashing Stats
Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Male Snorunt Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Smasher View Post
Touchy topic is touchy.

Anyways, I'm personally a non-religious person, because it seems ridiculous and far fetched that there could be anything supernatural out there (other than ghosts of course :P) so I guess you can I'm a rationalist.

If anything, I'd probably be a pagan, because that whole ideal really appeals to me, but if I was forced into a religion, it'd be the Celtic religion. Basically, their idea of afterlife is having sex, killing each other, and eating as much as you want. Those damn Celts had the best folklore.
I guess it is sort of touchy, any topic that is related to religion is. But most of the comments don't really answer the main question of the topic, except yours.

Lord Khajmer, you seem to admire the moon. I love the moon, I think I might actually have worshipped Lady Luna if I was born agnostic~
Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
I guess it is sort of touchy, any topic that is related to religion is. But most of the comments don't really answer the main question of the topic, except yours.

Lord Khajmer, you seem to admire the moon. I love the moon, I think I might actually have worshipped Lady Luna if I was born agnostic~
You can't be born agnostic. It's not a religion, it's a personal philosophy, a belief that we can't actually know philosophical or religious truths in absolute certainty. It's entirely separate from one's actual religious beliefs-for example, my deistic beliefs.

As an aside, I will say that if I were to join any kind of organized religion I would find the nearest Wiccan coven. Why? Simply because their core practices are kept secret to any outsider. It's one of the few religions that you can't truly understand unless you're part of it. So, from a scholarly standpoint I would want to join for the sake of study.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Male Snorunt Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
You can't be born agnostic. It's not a religion, it's a personal philosophy, a belief that we can't actually know philosophical or religious truths in absolute certainty. It's entirely separate from one's actual religious beliefs-for example, my deistic beliefs.

As an aside, I will say that if I were to join any kind of organized religion I would find the nearest Wiccan coven. Why? Simply because their core practices are kept secret to any outsider. It's one of the few religions that you can't truly understand unless you're part of it. So, from a scholarly standpoint I would want to join for the sake of study.
Oh, my mistake. I can't think of the correct word then...

But you'd probably have to prove you're dedicated if you wanted to be a Wiccan, considering their secrecy. If you were just in it for study, I'm not sure you'd be accepted. But I don't blame you, I'd like to figure out what they do, they seem interesting.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
Oh, my mistake. I can't think of the correct word then...

But you'd probably have to prove you're dedicated if you wanted to be a Wiccan, considering their secrecy. If you were just in it for study, I'm not sure you'd be accepted. But I don't blame you, I'd like to figure out what they do, they seem interesting.
I think what you're looking for is pagan.

And it's not like you can just go knock on a coven's door and ask to be a Wicca. There are initiations to undergo. And it's not like once I'd learned I'd just walk out, it is an interesting religion.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:50 AM
Retro-Smasher Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Pagans are cool, but those Christian and Catholic douches mistreated and abused them for hundreds of years. I've got a Pagan friend, he's chill about religion though.

Thanks Mw!
Smashing Stats
Old 10-12-2010, 03:15 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

I'm a Christian and I was brought up in a Christian household. But the rest of my family is interesting. My dad and brother has always been Christians, but my mom hasn't. My mom before she married my dad was a Witch and her her first husband was Satanist, but she a 180 and became a Christian. My sister is a Wiccan and as far as I know has always been one.

But I personally can't see myself as anything other than a Christian. [/end generic but true Christian thing to say]

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 10-12-2010, 03:25 AM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

I don't have a religion because I don't believe in something created by humans as a way of controlling others and promoting blind faith as a way of self fulfillment.

If I had to be confined to a category, you can say I'm "free", or that my "religion" is being alive.

I don't consider myself above or better than the idea of religion but it all just seems like a load of crap. There's too many God's and too many conditions for each God. I am however interested in what people believe and why people believe it.

Last edited by The Maple Syrup Baptist; 10-12-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:28 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubatheDiverman View Post
My sister is a Wiccan and as far as I know has always been one.
Budding religious scholar man incoming. You aren't technically Wiccan based on belief alone, it's a religion of practice. And since you can't learn the practices of Wicca except by being part of a coven, and since it's against the rules to initiate someone under the age of 18 due to the sexual aspects of it, no one can actually have always been Wiccan. You do have to actually join.

Notice: This is based on my personal research into the Wicca religion. There may be some covens out there who do initiate minors, however I do not know of them.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Near Offline

Send a message via AIM to Near Send a message via MSN to Near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Budding religious scholar man incoming. You aren't technically Wiccan based on belief alone, it's a religion of practice. And since you can't learn the practices of Wicca except by being part of a coven, and since it's against the rules to initiate someone under the age of 18 due to the sexual aspects of it, no one can actually have always been Wiccan. You do have to actually join.

Notice: This is based on my personal research into the Wicca religion. There may be some covens out there who do initiate minors, however I do not know of them.
Khaj, no one likes a smart ass.

Click "Near" for my Stats, and "Blue" for BJ's Stats.

I WILL NOT BE ACTIVE FROM JUNE 24TH TILL JULY 2ND.