Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cobalt Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Cobalt Shadow
Default Is money truley the root of all Evil?

One statement I have heard many times is "Money is the root of all evil", but in todays society it is practically impossible. Food, clothing, shelter. These days it is really hard to get these without $$$. Every day we earn money, spend money etc and we find it hard to live without?

Pros of money: Payment for goods and services,(Is there anything else?)

Cons of money: leads people to commit crimes for it eg drug dealing, assasination, theft etc, suicide can be caused by money problems, some people are living in a cardboard box while others have 15 mansions in different countries of the world (in otherwords it is very unbalanced)

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Dragotech, Eternal Moonlight and I are the PE2k Wolf Pack! Fear Fredward the Sparklepire, Bidoof the Soulless and Slenderfairy!
Banner Made by Me
Old 12-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Money has absolutely nothing to do with evil. Do you really think people wouldn't steal, lie, cheat, hoard, and kill, if there was no money? They'd do it with gold, jewels, metal, corn, flint knives, woman: anything that they value. Money is just a convenient scapegoat.

By the way, currency is essential to an advanced civilization. You try making a modern nation based on the bartering system. Your economy will be on the level of North Korea's.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Money is often mistaken for the root of all evil, but in fact that would actually be greed. Money is just the thing that captures the eye of greed. And since greed is an intrinsic human trait, that makes humans the root of all evil. Point, Khajmer.

Of course, if Lewis Black is to be believed the root of all evil is your choice of Oprah, Donald Trump, Beer, Youtube, Dick Cheney, American Idol, Kim Jong-il, Las Vegas, Bloggers, Boob jobs, Drinking games, the NRA, Puerto Rico, Disney, Spring Break, Boomers, Strip Clubs and The Hills. Personally I go with Cheney but then Nigeria isn't trying to get any of those other things arrested.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Ender the Xenocide Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Money is often mistaken for the root of all evil, but in fact that would actually be greed. Money is just the thing that captures the eye of greed. And since greed is an intrinsic human trait, that makes humans the root of all evil. Point, Khajmer.

Of course, if Lewis Black is to be believed the root of all evil is your choice of Oprah, Donald Trump, Beer, Youtube, Dick Cheney, American Idol, Kim Jong-il, Las Vegas, Bloggers, Boob jobs, Drinking games, the NRA, Puerto Rico, Disney, Spring Break, Boomers, Strip Clubs and The Hills. Personally I go with Cheney but then Nigeria isn't trying to get any of those other things arrested.
Agreed comrade. Except one thing. I don't think that greed itself is evil, I think too much of it is. Every want and desire you have is greed.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Blood Red Lucario Offline

Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Blood Red Lucario

The concept of money can definitely be part of the roots of evil. The concept itself promotes greed and envy. While money as a concept is money as we know it is not. Pieces of green cloth can be valued a lot today and mean nothing in less than 24 hours.

Absol Hatches: 27 Level 100: 312

All credit goes to Knightblazer
URPG
Old 12-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Money is just the thing that captures the eye of greed. And since greed is an intrinsic human trait, that makes humans the root of all evil. Point, Khajmer.
You can't just make a mass generalization like that. There is no way that every human is born with an innate want for more of anything. In fact, that only comes when someone is first introduced to something that they really like and want more of, like a kid who gets his first piece of candy. And even after that it would be such a fallacy to say that everyone is inherently "greedy". There is a difference between greed and want. Now everyone wants something in their life, of course, excluding babies who have not yet gained consciousness. But even they want something; they want to be picked up, changed, or they want food.

Greed is on an entirely different platform. A Webster's definition of greed is "an overwhelming desire to possess" generally speaking, "more wealth or goods than needed". This is more of an acquired trait, rather than something we're born with. I know plenty of people that are about as far away from greedy as you can get.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

"Radix malorum est cupiditas" - The Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer. (The root of all evil is greed/desire.)

As inferred in the above quote, the root of all evil, as fabled about in everything from mythology to old wives' tales, is actually desire. Greed, lust, and gluttony (i.e. seven deadly sins) and more are all things that point to desire and selfishness. It really isn't so much a modern debate in society. Even though most people belong to an Abrahamic faith (Christianity, Judaism, Islam), many more are open to all kinds of conversation, and said selfishness - although generally discouraged - isn't totally shunned. If you want to eat as much whatever you want and how much you want, go right ahead. If you want to have sex with various different partners, go at it. If your goal is to make as much money as possible, even possibly steal money, be our guest. But you will pay the price; there are consequences for our actions, and above morality, this is the more prominent issue at hand today. Not necessarily what the root of all evil is, but moreover what will get you in trouble and what will keep you healthy and safe.

~Professor Geoffrey
Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Blood Red Lucario

Greed is not an intrinsic trait. Wherever you live that makes you believe that is a sad place indeed.

The true question of this topic should be what do we consider money. I consider money anything of value that can be traded for more things of value. With that way of thinking one can come to the conclusion that money=value.

If greed is the overwhelming desire for excess value then one cannot be greedy if we never considered anything valuable. However, because everything has its own worth people desire them.

Greed cannot exist without value

Greed = evil

Value=Money

Greed cannot exist without money

Money is a root of evil.

URPG
Old 12-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Lucario View Post
Greed is not an intrinsic trait. Wherever you live that makes you believe that is a sad place indeed.

The true question of this topic should be what do we consider money. I consider money anything of value that can be traded for more things of value. With that way of thinking one can come to the conclusion that money=value.

If greed is the overwhelming desire for excess value then one cannot be greedy if we never considered anything valuable. However, because everything has its own worth people desire them.

Greed = evil

Value=Money

Money is a root of evil.
Money is not value. Money is valuable. Money is an item that is generally accepted to have a certain value, and thus can be traded for other items on widely accepted terms. By your logic, anything and everything can be considered the root of all evil, because anything and everything can be considered to have value.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Money is not value. Money is valuable. Money is an item that is generally accepted to have a certain value, and thus can be traded for other items on widely accepted terms. By your logic, anything and everything can be considered the root of all evil, because anything and everything can be considered to have value.
Anything and everything can be considered money am I right? What makes money money is the fact that it has value. Essentially money is just value that can be traded. We can get paid aesthetically pleasing rocks or bunk beds money is anything of value which is anything and everything. So following my logic

Money does not exist without value

Money is value that can be exchanged and or acquired

Greedy people wish to obtain things of value, namely obtainable value

Greedy People have greed

Greed is the desire for more things of value or value that can be acquired

Greed is the desire for money

Greed= evil

Money is a root of evil

URPG

Last edited by Blood Red Lucario; 12-16-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Lucario View Post
Anything and everything can be considered money am I right? What makes money money is the fact that it has value. Essentially money is just value that can be traded. We can get paid aesthetically pleasing rocks or bunk beds money is anything of value which is anything and everything. So following my logic

Money does not exist without value

Money is value that can be exchanged and or acquired

Greedy people wish to obtain things of value, namely obtainable value

Greedy People have greed

Greed is the desire for more things of value or value that can be acquired

Greed is the desire for money

Your logic is totally, and utterly, nonfunctional. Value is not a physical thing that can be traded. Objects may have value. Objects may not be value. An anvil is not weight because it is heavy. An apple is not a color simply because it is red. You cannot equate a physical object, "money", to an immaterial concept, "value". Money is merely a method through which value is determined.

The disproof of your argument is simple. Money cannot be value because value exists in the absence of money. I have no money, but I have a car. I can trade this car for food, water, corn, knives, anything. There is no money involved, but my car still has value, as does whatever I traded it for. Thus, value != money, and so, even if value is the root of evil, money is not.

Moreover, value is not greed. Value exists in the absence of greed. Money also exists in the absence of greed. Value exists in the absence of money. The things you postulate are equivalent to each other are not even close to being equal.

In addition to this, greed is not the sole expression of evil. Plenty of evil actions are committed every day without money as the goal. Do Islamic terrorists blow themselves up for money? No, they do it for religion. Are spouses murdered because of money? No, it is a crime of passion. Your argument is incredibly flawed on so many levels.

Art Gallery

Last edited by Lusankya; 12-16-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Your logic is totally, and utterly, nonfunctional. Value is not a physical thing that can be traded. Objects may have value. Objects may not be value. An anvil is not weight because it is heavy. An apple is not a color simply because it is red. You cannot equate a physical object, "money", to an immaterial concept, "value". Money is merely a method through which value is determined.

The disproof of your argument is simple. Money cannot be value because value exists in the absence of money. I have no money, but I have a car. I can trade this car for food, water, corn, knives, anything. There is no money involved, but my car still has value, as does whatever I traded it for.
Following what I stated before Money can be anything and everything. The moment you trade your car for food it becomes a form of money therefore making your argument false saying value exists when money does not exist.

Yes tangible objects of value cannot be considered value for that you are correct.

Money can't exist without the concept of Value

Money is Tangible pr intagible and can be Acquired

Time is intangible but can be exchanged for other tangible things

Value may be intangible but money not dollars, euros, pesos or anything like that I am talking about tangible or intangible objects that can be traded and have value. The very concept behind

Time can be used as a form of currency how? If I want bread but have nothing of value besides my time I can give him a little of my time for bread.

Greed is the desire of things with value AKA money

Greed is evil

Greed doesn't exist without money

Therefore because money exists greed exists making money one of the causes for evil.

You are attacking the wrong part of my argument. I've stated how Greed is related to the concept of money. Money can be anything and everything as long as it has value and can be exchanged or acquired.

The definition of value is not money. How can a greedy person grab hold of value if it doesn't have an acquirable form? Giving objects value gives allows value to be acquired.

Don't believe me?

The hunter's skills in a tribe are valuable, the priest's knowledge and wisdom is just as valuable, both skills and knowledge can be acquired and traded. A greedy person will do anything in his power to take both from the others to increase his value to the tribe. He stole tradeble things of value. He stole money. Why because he desired money

Money is a root to evil.

You have yet to prove that greed is not the desire for money so your "disproof" has been denied until you do prove that money as a concept is not related to greed.

URPG
Old 12-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Disco Offline

Power is much moreso a root to evil than money is.

Money is simply a ladder. Humans lay it up against the tree to reach evil.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
Power is much moreso a root to evil than money is.

Money is simply a ladder. Humans lay it up against the tree to reach evil.
Power can fall into the concept of money because it has value.

A greedy person can try to acquire all power.

Greed exists because of money.

Money is root to evil.

URPG
Old 12-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Greed is only a concept. It only exists the way you perceive it in your own reality, nobody else's. Your argument is flawed.