Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Other Boards Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Nothing Exists

Nothing exists. Sounds a bit ironic doesn't it? Well, according to many top physicists and scientists, nothing really exists except matter itself. What do I mean by this? No, this is not the Matrix. No, we are not a video game, and yes, life matters.

Let's explore shall we?

Everything that we see is conceptualized in the pink mush we call the brain. Every thing we see is a model produced by the brain. For example, the fact that light doesn't actually travel in a straight line. It may appear to go straight ahead, but it acts nothing like it. Photons bounce around all the time, light bends and goes through all entrances and holes in a wall, rather than just simply beaming through one. But yet, elementary schools teach that light does actually travel in a straight line.

The Universe is getting bigger, no? It takes 1 second for light to travel 299, 792, 458 meters. However, if you think about it, if the Universe is actually expanding, it would take longer for light to travel. Yes, it does. Rather than humans actually noticing the change, we just simply conceptualize. Our brains make up for the lag, so while it seems time is not slowing down, it is. But how does time slow down? What is time, a model? Yes, however if you find yourself being yanked into a black hole, time slows down does it not? Suggesting that time is actually a physical thing. No, rather you see time for what it actually is. Light gets sucked up by black holes, so you see what the Universe is like without that light, when light slows down.

When we look at black holes in space, we cannot see one with our naked eye. Humans make a model or help us understand or grasp just what a black hole is. Black holes are invisible, and can only be stopped if it pulls in something that is more massive than itself (impossible), but we look at it as a hole, a black nothingness in space. We compare it to what a hole is on Earth.

When we think of an alien, a far off creature. Most humans would look at it as a very Earthly-based animal. Why? We compare it to something we see on our home planet when in reality, animals could be gas clouds, or specs of light that live for only a few seconds. So, is reality false? Is it all fake, or is the fake real? Is there such a thing as real? Or is the fake that we conjure up really reality? Yeah, how do yah like them apples.

What do you think? Are the scientists correct, or do you have a better theory?

And if this is true, after you spend twenty hours of WoW and your mom kicks you off and tells you to get back to reality, you can wittily reply, "Which reality?"

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-22-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Steak Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Steak
Default Re: Nothing Exists

So...what exactly is your argument?
Are you suggesting that reality is false because it just so happens that our individual realities are perception-based, or...?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Hoshika Offline

I don't even know the point of this thread, but I remembered this while I was reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Blood Red Lucario Offline

Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Blood Red Lucario

This is really just a concept of which perception is true or not.
Really our brains just comprehend where things are most likely to be when we observe them. Following quantum theory matter is a wave that is everywhere and everything all at once when it is not observed but once it is observed / perceived it snaps to the place and state it is most likely to be in. Following this, yes, our perceptions are an estimate of what is really there.

So yes our reality is based entirely on our perception. However when the mother asks you to jump back to reality she most likely means jump back to the reality that both you and her are perceived to share existence in.

The only reason why time is perceived to slow down when approaching black holes is because it is so massive any other mass near is is drawn to it at great speeds due to the attraction effect of gravity. So time slows because one is moving faster toward the massive object (the black hole). This is the same for light which is said to have no mass (yet have momentum) it isn't "stopped" or slowed down by the black whole it is just swallowed into it and cannot be reflected so that our eyes or instruments can perceive it. Which ultimately leads to its name. Its a black whole because its a whole within our perceived space a gap that our minds cannot perceive. Black refers to the dark and the dark refers to the unknown. Giving it a very proper name.

We can only imagine things and creations that we "know" so aliens that are unknown to us can only be imagined by things we know related earth. The little green lizard men are just imaginative things that our minds can only make up because its the only way we know life can exist.

So in terms of perception being true. I'd say not absolutely true but close.

(This is all coming from a mild study on the subject of quantum physics and relativity. Besides the occasional discussion of these subjects with teachers I've only really scratched the surface for both. Anyone who can clarify better than I can please do.)

Absol Hatches: 27 Level 100: 312

All credit goes to Knightblazer
URPG
Old 02-23-2011, 03:01 PM

This is an argument brought up by Stephen Hawking and his book the Grand Design. This book essentially attempts to explain the conception of the Universe without the need of a deity. Essentially, read the book to understand the argument a little better.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:55 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

For anyone unfamiliar with what Carl Sagan is talking about here.

Quote:
Indeed, one might even say, solipsism is necessarily incoherent, a self-refuting idea, for to make an appeal to logical rules or empirical evidence the solipsist would implicitly have to affirm the very thing in which he or she purportedly refuses to believe: the 'reality' of intersubjectively valid criteria, and/or of a public, extra-mental world.
Sagan never believed in solipsism, but he did like the implications that our perceptions do not necessarily reflect our reality (actually he just liked novel thoughts in general). But really, it's a pointless debate. Whether the reality we perceive is real or not, we have no choice but to assume that is is real.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 02-24-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

My question into this isn't "are you right, does anything really exist?" but rather, "why does it matter?"

Even if the universe doesn't exist beyond our perceptions, what we perceive is still enjoyable. It's still life as we know it, and it's generally pretty good for most of us. So what does this whole question of nihilism or solipsism or whatever matter? We can't move beyond it, we can't prove it, and there's no real need to do either.

Basically, I take the same opinion as I would if Morpheus approached me and offered to get me out of the Matrix. Life's fairly nice for most people, and what you're offering isn't necessarily better, and has a fair chance of being worse (guess what: it was.) So therefore, who cares?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:05 AM

One who wants to know more for what the Universe actually is.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
One who wants to know more for what the Universe actually is.
Well personally I find that silly. Then again I also find it silly that some Hindus give up all attachments to the world, down to their own name, in order to be "closer to god." So maybe it's just a case of blue and orange morality.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Well personally I find that silly. Then again I also find it silly that some Hindus give up all attachments to the world, down to their own name, in order to be "closer to god." So maybe it's just a case of blue and orange morality.
I do not find it silly to know what the Universe actually is. I would definitely not want to wander around thinking that Newton's Law/Theory is completely correct.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
I do not find it silly to know what the Universe actually is. I would definitely not want to wander around thinking that Newton's Law/Theory is completely correct.
Well that's completely unrelated. Newton's Laws can be correct or incorrect regardless of whether the universe as we percieve it is real or not.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
But it's silly to want to know if your perceptions are real when you cannot alter them. Whether your perceptions are right or not, it doesn't change the fact that they are all that you can perceive. Thus it is pointless to debate whether our perceptions are correct since they are all we have to base our debate off of.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 02-25-2011, 02:20 PM

Thus, it is completely incorrect to argue in the first place?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

A person who believes that nothing that they perceive is real or accurate has no basis on which to make an argument, since logic and arguments are based on the assumption that reality exists.

Art Gallery
Old 02-25-2011, 07:57 PM

Why are we arguing over the fact that I find this topic interesting and I think people should at least comprehend the subject?