Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Do you use the Sound Theory?

Do you implement the Sound Theory in your stories? Coming from an animation background, I am used to having pretty good soundtracks for films.

So, if you do use music to set the mood of your fan fiction, how do you implement it? What is your soundtrack? And if you do want a soundtrack for your fan fiction, what do you wish or think the music should be?

- Note: It doesn't have to be music especially composed for your fan fic (that would just be insane), but it can be music from anything and anyone.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: Do you use the Sound Theory?

All. The. Time.

I find movie soundtracks, video game soundtracks, and other songs with limited or no lyrics work especially well for this. Many of them incite a profound feeling of inspiration, help put you in a different setting of thought, and help you forge ideas from the mood of the music.

I recently came across an artist called "Two Steps From Hell" which mostly does songs for movie trailers. Absolutely freaking epic. If you want a flavor of what some of these songs sound like, listen to these four:

Merchant Prince
Am I Not Human?
Black Blade
Ocean Princess

Besides those, its all a matter of finding and listening to the right music soundtrack that follows the same genre and mood of what you're writing about. But listening to dead silence... yeah, that's usually when and how Writer's Block kicks in.

Music is motion.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Mawile-Danmaku Offline

Me too. I don't write much anymore, but I like to listen to music to help set the mood. Heavy metal is my favorite type, especially for action scenes.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Giratina Offline

I don't add in songs at certain points in the story (unless they're actual lyrics used for emphasis), because to be honest, scratching the record to say "Brave Heart starts playing!" or something is a little weird to me. But I do have a list of 'character themes' stored on my iPod, and for some stories have selected an opening or ending theme as well, if they were ever to be treated as an animated show. As for actual writing, it depends; I can write a super-melodramatic scene and be listening to If I Could Turn Back Time or something.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)