Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: NAfrica in deep turmoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Thirty years ago, hardly anyone in the Eastern world could afford cars.
I see. This is totally and completely relevant to the discussion and supports your argument that the Chinese are discontent with their government very well. Your point is very clear.

Also, Japan.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Thirty years ago, hardly anyone in the Eastern world could afford cars.
You completely missed the point. People who have starved in the past, and are now able to regularly and easily afford food, do not care, will not care, will never care that they can't afford cars.

P.S. Japan says hi.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Dude, people in the States could not afford T.Vs at the time. Now people can buy them for not even 200 dollars. A lot of things have lowered in price globally. A decade from now, we could buy a Yacht for 500 dollars (exaggeration). And I would like to point out it is not the government that is doing that, rather it is the Western companies building factories over there.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Dude, people in the States could not afford T.Vs at the time. Now people can buy them for not even 200 dollars. A lot of things have lowered in price globally. A decade from now, we could buy a Yacht for 500 dollars (exaggeration). And I would like to point out it is not the government that is doing that, rather it is the Western companies building factories over there.
You aren't getting it. They don't care. 30 years ago the Chinese people could not afford food. Now they can. Ergo, life is much better now. And it is not solely Western companies building factories, it's the Chinese government's economic policies surrounding regulation and foreign investment which both allows those factories to be built and creates incentive for Western corporations to bring them there. Meaning that, in regards to the above point about food and being able to purchase it, they're obviously doing something right.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
The point ---->

----
Your head

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 02-18-2011, 10:45 PM

Ahhh, I see. Still, it is quite possible that the rest of North Africa will continue to riot.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:45 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Currently the rioting countries are being cracked down on, hard, i.e. Bahrain and Libya. It seems like Egypt was a one-shot miracle.

Art Gallery
Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Iran and Syria are rioting now.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 PM
KantoBreeder Offline

Yesterday, the UN passed a resolution demanding an immediate ceasefire from Colonel Gaddafi. If it is not met then Libya will face military action. Though the Libyan government have told the UN that they have given the rebels a ceasefire however the rebels have reported that they are still being attacked by aircraft.

The resolution includes a no-fly zone over Libya, which has been expanded to involve tanks and heavy artillery, an increase of the sanctions already put up against Gaddafi and endorses the use of force short of invasion.

Of the fifteen members present at the vote, ten voted in favour, none voted against and five abstained from voting. Among the abstainers were Russia and China, who oppose the use of force against sovereign states in general.

David Cameron, the British Prime Minister, has said that Gaddafi will be judged "by his actions and not his words." The French foreign minister has said that French planes are ready to launch military strikes if there is no cease fire that covers all of Libya. The President of the United States, Barack Obama has said that an attack on Libya would not include US ground troops and would not go further than was needed to protect the people of Libya. Britain, France and some Arab allies are expected to lead the initial air-strikes.

The rebel commander in Benghazi has claimed that Gaddaffi is bluffing when he says that he will order a ceasefire. He says that "all the world knows that Muammar Gaddafi is a liar. He and his sons, and his family, and all those with him are liars."

On the other hand, many in Libya's capital, Tripoli, see the UN's intervention as an attempt by foreign powers to plunder the countries oil.

Source: BBC News
Old 03-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

I think it's best if Arab countries do most of the ground work, then Libyans will be less apt to blame it on the West.

Art Gallery
Old 03-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe

I hope the rebels hold Bengahzi, it'll be a catastrophic failure on the UN's part if Gaddafi wins.