Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 AM
changoo Offline
Banned

Default How come Ash doesnt catch more Pokemon?

Remember during the first few episodes? Where Ash was all "I'm going to be the greatest Pokemon master ever!" and how he was going to catch all 150 Pokemon? Well its been like 14 years and hes only caught less than 30 different kinds of Pokemon and a few of them were given to him. When he usually sees a wild Pokemon he observes it, maybe checks his pokedex, and thats it. He leaves it alone and often helps wild pokemon get back to another part of the territory. Or releases them.

What happened to that desire to catch all the Pokemon? What happened to that desire to be the very best, that no one ever was?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:30 AM
Rival Silver Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: How come Ash doesnt catch more Pokemon?

He seems to have more of an interest now of getting 5 pokemon from each region, where with Pikachu is a 6 person team. Meaning he has a 6 pokemon team which we trains throughout the region.

<--- Credit to Doodlebop|Credit to Temporal Snake
Old 01-20-2011, 03:13 AM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

I actually think he still aims to be a Pokemon master... But yeah it seems like at the rate he's going, he wont become a master until he's already dead and gone. xD

Poor Ash, if only he wasn't so naive. I mean, he released Pidgeot after it had JUST evolved to protect a flock of Pidgey and Pidgeotto that he'd pretty much already saved by defeating Fearow. xDD

And at this point Charizard should be a mega house with power. He only left it at the Charicipic Valley so it could become stronger...

Some Pokemon I am fine with him releasing mainly because the reasons are understandable.

Butterfree - mating season
Lapras - found the heard and her mother (she's a girl YOU ALL KNOW IT TO BE TRUE!!!)
Larvitar - returned him to his mom (he wasn't supposed to keep Larvitar to begin with so... yeah)

umm... my mind is drawing a blank right now... who else did he release with justifiable reasons? I know all the Pokemon he released for dumb reasons, or even gave away for dumber reasons *coughprimeapecough*

Haha.

=^^= Nya
Old 01-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle

I think the way Ash does things is more realistic. It would be really hard to train around 25 pokemon within a region and still make sure they are up to snuff for an actual battle. At least with 5 (not counting Pikachu) he can make sure that these guys are powerful and can handle being in a league competition. It seems like now Ash wants to focus on just a small amount then getting a huge bunch because he wants to be able to get to know them and bring out their full potential. If he did that with a whole bunch of them then it would take forever for him to get all eight badges.

It is like the old saying goes, "Don't spread the butter too thin" or something like that. Ash prefer to have at least six strong pokemon instead of 20ish okay pokemon. Ash has in a way grew up from that mentality and realize that it best to just have a good small bunch of strong pokemon.

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Skylands Offline

The writers probably wanted to treat the Pokemon more like characters, and it's hard to get attached to the Pokemon when there's so many.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

The show is about Ash emotionally bonding with his Pokemon. It would be difficult to do so if he continuously caught Pokemon like his previous rival, Gary Oak. And as Skylands said, it is also easier to develop characters if there are fewer of them.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Ceromax Offline

He forgot to buy pokeballs.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

The fewer the better if you ask me. Not only is it easier to keep track of fewer pokémon and bond with fewer pokémon, but also training fewer pokémon is easier and more efficient because Then keeping track of a pokémon's strengths and weaknesses is easier to keep track of and easier, therefore, to improve.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 AM
ShinySephiroth Offline
New Trainer

Yep, I guess it's just for plot purposes. A shame, really. :(
Pearl: 1634 9442 8006
Platinum: 2365 0181 0185
Soulsilver: 3739 3883 7588
White: ???? ???? ????
Black: ???? ???? ????
Member of:
Pokemon Secure, Neoseeker, Pokemon Elite 2000, Smogon, Pokemon Masters Club, Serebii, Gamefaqs, PokemonGTS, PokeCommunity, and Project Pokemon
Pokedex: 493/493
Shinydex: 493/493
Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai

Well, maybe there is a big difference between games and movies(^^)
Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

I find it ironic that the slogan is "gotta catch 'em all", yet pokemon's main character does not abide by that at all. xDDD And I don't think it makes him more realistic... I just thing it proves how he thinks he's pretty good, but he's really not. xD

I guess the whole thing with him developing bonds with them all is reasonable and it's one of the main things encouraged within the ideas of pokemon, but I think he should catch more anyhow... I mean, you catch some pokemon to become friends with them and travel with them, battle with them, and have a lasting journey with them, but others you have for the purpose of collecting. o: I admit it sucks for the pokemon, but I love the idea of ranches, so I like to think that many trainers can send them to those kinds of places. x)

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.