Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Default Umm, mind looking at my story idea?

This got no attention in the idea and premises thread. And I am impatient.

Um, I got another idea for a fanfic by cudgeling what little brains I have. ^^' I stink at explaining things, but the basic gist is that there's this human guy who lives on an island all by himself except for some Pokemon companions. He wants to see the outside world and so, essentially speaking, he and his Dragonite buddy set off on LE GRAND ADVENTURE or something, to discover the world around him. It turns out that humans are not really on very good terms with Pokemon, and don't take too well to the 'monster tamer', as they call the MC. And Pokemon don't like him too much either. So naturally he tries to make both sides see that neither are so bad after all.

Some problems.

I have no idea how to get that started. The whole uniting them or whatever. I was thinking that maybe it could be just one village or something. That would be a lot easier than the whole world.

Also, I can't decide whether I want a Dragonite or a Flygon as the MC's 'sidekick', so to speak. Dragonite makes more sense, but Flygon is an awful lot cooler. (Dragonite has like a beer gut or something.) I also thought Dragonair could work, but it doesn't really fit the character. I'm leaning on Dragonite.

And on the island, should there be more people, or just the MC? Leaning on just MC.

Ehe. What do you think? ^^'

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Giratina Offline

Default Re: Umm, mind looking at my story idea?

First off: I LOL'd. This sounds funny.

That out of the way, I do think it might be able to work, but you might want to just restrict it to a City of Adventure or something. A big one, so it's not like "I have brought peace to grass huts A, B, and C! I am done!" I would keep him alone on the island, since that would really underline the idea of him not knowing the relationship between Pokémon and human. And as for the last thing... well, I would do either, but it really depends on the area. Dragonite would make more sense since I think Dratini and company live in the water (hence, surrounding an island), but if there's a desert in there too then it can really go either way.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)

Last edited by Giratina; 01-23-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Hehe, thank you. It's not really intended to be funny, but I have this rambling way of explaining things that makes it sound funny/very strange.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But I can't really decide on the level of tech. It's harder to have big cities without technology. Dragonite probably makes more sense, and actually, it would bring a reason to him being on the island (Dragonites guide shipwrecked crews to shore.)

Great! I think the only thing I really have left to work out is some human characters (besides MC) and what level of tech it is. It might be fun to have it be super-hyper technological... And it would help them be able to survive without Pokemon... IDK.

Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
My Links
Old 01-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

With that rambling you should write a comedy like NES2 is doing. Aaaanyway.

I am all for adventure fan fics, as I am writing one myself. Go for the "Imma save the world with my badass Dragonite!" act!

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 01-23-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebop View Post
This got no attention in the idea and premises thread. And I am impatient.

Um, I got another idea for a fanfic by cudgeling what little brains I have. ^^' I stink at explaining things, but the basic gist is that there's this human guy who lives on an island all by himself except for some Pokemon companions. He wants to see the outside world and so, essentially speaking, he and his Dragonite buddy set off on LE GRAND ADVENTURE or something, to discover the world around him. It turns out that humans are not really on very good terms with Pokemon, and don't take too well to the 'monster tamer', as they call the MC. And Pokemon don't like him too much either. So naturally he tries to make both sides see that neither are so bad after all.
I like the idea. n_n I'm guessing a first the writing will be based a lot more on thoughts and reactions to surroundings- unless, of course, you're like me and make Pokemon speak like humans? xD
So how come they're not on good terms? O: You could invent something like... in a village or city somewhere, Pokemon and humans fell out over something and the hatred began to spread.
Also, why is he on the island?

Quote:
I have no idea how to get that started. The whole uniting them or whatever. I was thinking that maybe it could be just one village or something. That would be a lot easier than the whole world.
The village or city where it started, maybe? O: He could perhaps meet someone- perhaps a girl ;D- who thinks the same way he does. Maybe she's linked somehow to a person who rules the village or city (or even a major media company) who promotes the hatred, and she joins with him to try to dissuade them from that view and show that Pokemon and humans can be friends.

Quote:
Also, I can't decide whether I want a Dragonite or a Flygon as the MC's 'sidekick', so to speak. Dragonite makes more sense, but Flygon is an awful lot cooler. (Dragonite has like a beer gut or something.) I also thought Dragonair could work, but it doesn't really fit the character. I'm leaning on Dragonite.
Dragonite makes me think of Lance xDD Well, if I were you, I'd think of a personality you'd want the Pokemon to have, and then look at images of Dragonite and Flygon (and maybe Salamence, too?) and see which one jumps out at you.

Quote:
And on the island, should there be more people, or just the MC? Leaning on just MC.

Ehe. What do you think? ^^'
Just the MC, I personally think. n_n Then you'll have a lot more to write about when he reaches civilization, because he'll be all like 'OMG HUMANS O__O'

Old 01-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post

I like the idea. n_n I'm guessing a first the writing will be based a lot more on thoughts and reactions to surroundings- unless, of course, you're like me and make Pokemon speak like humans? xD
So how come they're not on good terms? O: You could invent something like... in a village or city somewhere, Pokemon and humans fell out over something and the hatred began to spread.
Also, why is he on the island?
Thank you. :)

Pokemon don't speak human, but he can understand most dialect (living around them his entire life and all). Some he'll have more trouble than others, but there is a common language that Pokemon use though it is somewhat more limited than specific species language. It's sort of like Watership Down, if you've ever read that. But he would know how to speak human too because there would be a Lucario on the island. :D

I was thinking it would be set in the past or something, before they started getting along with Pokemon (sort of like humans think they're brutal wild animals) or something. But maybe I should come up with a more legit reason. xD

Oh, the island. I read that Dragonite guide shipwrecked crews to shore... So I was thinking that maybe when he was really young he was on a boat that got shipwrecked. And the Dragonite took him to the island.

Quote:
The village or city where it started, maybe? O: He could perhaps meet someone- perhaps a girl ;D- who thinks the same way he does. Maybe she's linked somehow to a person who rules the village or city (or even a major media company) who promotes the hatred, and she joins with him to try to dissuade them from that view and show that Pokemon and humans can be friends.
I was thinking maybe a daughter of the mayor could get along with him or something, and he'd end up showing her and that would kick off the whole 'Pokemon aren't bad' campaign. But the idea that a daughter of a media company that promotes hatred sounds pretty cool.

Quote:
Dragonite makes me think of Lance xDD Well, if I were you, I'd think of a personality you'd want the Pokemon to have, and then look at images of Dragonite and Flygon (and maybe Salamence, too?) and see which one jumps out at you.
That's what I'll probably do, but for my story, I think it's probably gonna have to be Dragonite.

Quote:
Just the MC, I personally think. n_n Then you'll have a lot more to write about when he reaches civilization, because he'll be all like 'OMG HUMANS O__O'
Yes, that's what I'm thinking. And he'll be reeeaaally socially awkward. xDDD And it also brings up some interesting possibilities for when he encounters a girl. Because he'll never have seen one before. xD
Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
With that rambling you should write a comedy like NES2 is doing. Aaaanyway.

I am all for adventure fan fics, as I am writing one myself. Go for the "Imma save the world with my badass Dragonite!" act!
I'm reading that, actually. Isn't it hysterical? xD Maybe one day.

Haha, all right. Thank you!

My Links
Old 02-02-2011, 05:50 PM

I am liking it. I think it would be awesome to make it so the regular people of the town or city are so brainwashed by whomever is saying Pokemon are bad, that the character his would-be girlfriend are forced to start illegal underground operations... man... I should do that myself...
Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
I am liking it. I think it would be awesome to make it so the regular people of the town or city are so brainwashed by whomever is saying Pokemon are bad, that the character his would-be girlfriend are forced to start illegal underground operations... man... I should do that myself...
If you steal my idea, I will have a lawyer on you so fast that your head will spit. And spin. They do that too, they have their ways... >(

/cannotkeepstraightface

No, seriously, I think that's interesting, but could you clarify by what you mean by brainwashed? Like, brainwashed as in they're pretty set in their beliefs, or brainwashed as in 'ZOMBIEEEEE' kinda way?

My Links
Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Well, I have already planned out the story for Pokemon: Ordo Origins, and there is a small segment where... well... it has to do with the underground... But it will no where be as epic as this story.

Anyway, I mean as if they are tricked by the bad guys into believing that Pokemon are bad. =D
Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Well, I have already planned out the story for Pokemon: Ordo Origins, and there is a small segment where... well... it has to do with the underground... But it will no where be as epic as this story.

Anyway, I mean as if they are tricked by the bad guys into believing that Pokemon are bad. =D
Haha, it's okay. I was kidding. xD And thank you. c:

Yeah, I was planning on it. o3o It's more interesting that way.

OKAY. I'm going to go and actually try to write this thing. With a very vague semblance of a plan. Very. Very. Vague.

My Links
Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 PM

I help come up with scripts for stories (with my coworkers), for I animated CGI, Flash, and Frame-by-Frame. I am pretty used to having a very detailed overall story.

Good luck, and I will read it!

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-02-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

*late to the party*

Like the others, I find this to be a very interesting idea ^^ I always find human/Pokemon interactions interesting, especially when they don't necessarily fit the idea that the games/anime usually project--as long as it is explained and makes sense. I'm also very interested about knowing more about the MC and learning why he was alone on the island in the first place. Did he/she just give up on society at some age? Or did they just grow up in the wilderness (maybe with some secuslive family or Pokemon?) I think it would be interesting if Pokemon dialect could be understood somehow by the human (since you said he'll be comparing and contrasting humans and Pokemon, right?), which I think maybe you were hinting at? :o

Also, if you need help writing that vague semblance of a plan (lol), I found this website that I think would be very nifty to use! :D

Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander009 View Post
*late to the party*
Not late. Fashionably late.

Quote:
Like the others, I find this to be a very interesting idea ^^ I always find human/Pokemon interactions interesting, especially when they don't necessarily fit the idea that the games/anime usually project--as long as it is explained and makes sense. I'm also very interested about knowing more about the MC and learning why he was alone on the island in the first place. Did he/she just give up on society at some age? Or did they just grow up in the wilderness (maybe with some secuslive family or Pokemon?) I think it would be interesting if Pokemon dialect could be understood somehow by the human (since you said he'll be comparing and contrasting humans and Pokemon, right?), which I think maybe you were hinting at? :o
Thank you! :D Yeah, every once in a while I just wanna try something different. :) I was thinking maybe that when he was very young, a Dragonite found him on a life boat, and took him to his home. Because Dragonites like guide shipwrecked crews to shore. Except he'd really be more... carrying... Yeah. And yes, he knows Pokemon. Kind of. Well, the thing is, he knows like all the island Pokemon's dialect, but he might not know all of the dialects once he gets off the island. But there's a general dialect, and though it's kinda limited, he'll be able to communicate what he wants to say. It's like with Watership Down.

Quote:
Also, if you need help writing that vague semblance of a plan (lol), I found this website that I think would be very nifty to use! :D
Haha, thank you! I'll look into it. c:

My Links
Old 02-07-2011, 07:07 AM

I am sorry. I just had to laugh at the link. Honestly, I am following this thread to learn more and more about this story, and when he posted that wonderful CC, I figured the link was a joke... I mean... "How-to-write-a-novel"?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Well, why not? I need all the help I can get. Especially considering I haven't finished the first page. x.x

My Links