Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Black/White 2 » Pokemon: Black/White

Pokemon: Black/White Discuss the game: Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. Ask/Answer questions and discussions about Pokemon Black/White only.

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Major resemblances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubatheDiverman View Post
Well from what I understand, people still like it. :P Black and White are highly considered the best pokemon games and quite possibly the best DS games ever made.

Still, no one really cares that Sawsbuck(idc if it might be fake, it's one of the most creative names) looks like Stantler, it's still a different pokemon. Also, f two pokemon look similar, it doesn't mean they are running out of ideas. And no 649 isn't enough, I want them to keep on making more and more. :D
Pokemon has been losing its numbers (consumers) since 2005.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Sure, continue the show and the games, but 600 Pokemon is getting to be a little ridiculous.
Lol, you think that is bad? I'm sure Digimon takes that number and beats it to death relentlessly. Although, a lot are recolors...Good games though.

Sure, some of the designs are odd (a walking garbage heap? Really?), but others are pretty cool.

I'm just mad that they didn't make a toilet form for Rotom (I thought it was pretty clever when I thought of it. Sludge Bomb! Eeew...) and a tornado pokemon. Oh, and a Sandstorm form for Castform <3

I mean, you have freakin' candles, for crying out loud. Although, the candle 'mons are by far my favorites of the new generation... XD
Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Quote:
Pokemon has been losing its numbers (consumers) since 2005.
From Pokebeach:
Quote:
Six weeks before their United States launch, Black and White have already sold 759,252 units according to VGChartz. At this rate, the games will most likely reach over a million preorders a month before their March 6th launch date. Here's what VGChartz has to say about the sales:

Pokémon Black/White Version (DS) pre-orders continues to outperform every other game by a significant amount, as it adds 155,000 pre-orders this week down from 208,000 last week. The game currently sits at a total of 759,000 and is six weeks away from launch. It is currently the most pre-ordered game in America and it beats the next closest game by a margin of 4 to 1.

Note that Black and White aren't just the most preordered DS games in America, but the most preordered "games" period. In August, the games became the fastest-selling DS games in history, reaching a million preorders a month before their Japanese release. Later, the games hit another milestone, selling over five million copies in Japan only 17 weeks into their launch. And "Pokemon's dead" my donkey! (Hey, why isn't there a donkey Pokemon yet? Add that to the list along with a dolphin.)
And I'm saying the 5th gen is the quote "rebirth of pokemon"

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubatheDiverman View Post
From Pokebeach:

And I'm saying the 5th gen is the quote "rebirth of pokemon"
That is bullsh1t, as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 had 50 million Ps3 copies reserved alone. And that "truth" you are posting states that Pokemon Black and White is not only the most preordered game for the DS, but ever.

And that ratio is also off. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl sold 533,000 preordered, and that is not a 4 on 1 ratio. The point is, the only reason people are reserving copies is because they boast brand new 3D graphics, when THAT is a lie.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-02-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

Quote:
That is bullsh1t, as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 had 50 million Ps3 copies reserved alone. And that "truth" you are posting states that Pokemon Black and White is not only the most preordered game for the DS, but ever.

And that ratio is also off. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl sold 533,000 preordered, and that is not a 4 on 1 ratio. The point is, the only reason people are reserving copies is because they boast brand new 3D graphics, when THAT is a lie.
Excuse me? Are you saying that for every single person, you know the reason they made their pre-order? I'm sorry to throw reality at you, but I myself pre-ordered it because not only do I love the new region, but the Pokemon for me are a good step up from past gens. I like that this game isn't safe like the past ones have been. Where literally everyone will be starting from scratch, where everyone will be a new trainer despite our back story on games.

THAT'S why I made my pre-order. It's also why a lot of other people made pre-orders. I was in a skype chat of over 50 people, and only three said they did it for the graphics. Everyone else had a different reason.

So please, don't go boasting your vast knowledge on our reasons for buying something, okay? xDDD

As for Pokemon looking similar. I have one word for you. EVOLUTION.

In reality, animals adapt and evolve differently in different environments. Crocodiles and Alligators look very similar. Are you going to claim nature ran out of ideas and went, "I like the Crocodile... lets just add some different features to that and make the Alligator!!"

Also, look at horses. There are TONS AND TONS of different breeds, yet generally speaking they all look very similar. Are you saying nature did a copy thing with them too? Haha. Pokemon are allowed to look similar because it brings a more realistic look to their world.

For the new buffalo and Taurus, they look alike, but are two vastly different species. They come from the same base, bovine, but they are not of the same branch so to speak. And to just add to our cow talk, they have yet to make a bull to counter Miltank. Taurus is a wild bull, not a domesticated one. We place him with Miltank, but he's still not a domestic farm bull like Miltank is a domestic farm cow.

If they ever make the farm bull, will you pull the same thing and claim self copying? I wouldn't. I mean heck, we have Sharpedo. What if they make another shark Pokemon? You going to say that they just got the idea from Sharpedo and were all, "Sharks.... more sharks... we have no clue what else to make so lets make more sharks!!"

=P

I want more Pokemon. There are literally MILLIONS of species they have yet to even cover. I want to see how they cover more than what they have, including similar animals but different breeds (I am serious about the domestic cow... I want that... GIVE ME MY COW!!)

=^^= Nya

EDIT:

Another example about similarity in the real world:

This is a Devon Rex.
This is a Sphinx

Do you see how generically similar they are? Sure the coats are different, but any person who isn't heavily knowledgeable on cat breeds probably wont be able to tell the difference.

Also, Glameow and Chroneko look NOTHING alike. I don't know where you see the similarity other than the pose they were drawn in and possibly the facial expression. Haha.

=^^= Nya

Last edited by RocketMeowth; 02-02-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMeowth View Post
Excuse me? Are you saying that for every single person, you know the reason they made their pre-order? I'm sorry to throw reality at you, but I myself pre-ordered it because not only do I love the new region, but the Pokemon for me are a good step up from past gens. I like that this game isn't safe like the past ones have been. Where literally everyone will be starting from scratch, where everyone will be a new trainer despite our back story on games.

THAT'S why I made my pre-order. It's also why a lot of other people made pre-orders. I was in a skype chat of over 50 people, and only three said they did it for the graphics. Everyone else had a different reason.

So please, don't go boasting your vast knowledge on our reasons for buying something, okay? xDDD

As for Pokemon looking similar. I have one word for you. EVOLUTION.

In reality, animals adapt and evolve differently in different environments. Crocodiles and Alligators look very similar. Are you going to claim nature ran out of ideas and went, "I like the Crocodile... lets just add some different features to that and make the Alligator!!"

Also, look at horses. There are TONS AND TONS of different breeds, yet generally speaking they all look very similar. Are you saying nature did a copy thing with them too? Haha. Pokemon are allowed to look similar because it brings a more realistic look to their world.

For the new buffalo and Taurus, they look alike, but are two vastly different species. They come from the same base, bovine, but they are not of the same branch so to speak. And to just add to our cow talk, they have yet to make a bull to counter Miltank. Taurus is a wild bull, not a domesticated one. We place him with Miltank, but he's still not a domestic farm bull like Miltank is a domestic farm cow.

If they ever make the farm bull, will you pull the same thing and claim self copying (3)? I wouldn't. I mean heck, we have Sharpedo. What if they make another shark Pokemon? You going to say that they just got the idea from Sharpedo and were all, "Sharks.... more sharks... we have no clue what else to make so lets make more sharks!!"

=P

I want more Pokemon. There are literally MILLIONS of species they have yet to even cover. I want to see how they cover more than what they have, including similar animals but different breeds (I am serious about the domestic cow... I want that... GIVE ME MY COW!!)

=^^= Nya
EVOLUTION. YES! They are all different breeds, but in the end, they are all your sweet little ponies aren't they. Yes, well, they are. Look, they have several bird Pokemon. All looked pretty different until now. They had several unique Pokemon recently. Budew is a good example. Original looking, and it seemed as if it could have been its own Pokemon. Anyway, I digress.

If they wanted to make an evolution to a type of Pokemon, without adding an evolutionary tree to a specific Pokemon, they could simply do like they did with Nidoran (fm) or Nidoran (m) (2). Or, more probably, with Evee and its multiple evolutionary stems (1). Instead of claiming all new and original Pokemon, and giving us damn near a THOUSAND to memorize, they should try, at best, to keep that number narrowed down. And in my defense, Miltank and Tauros look nothing alike.

(1)There is always an original species to trace back to. They could simply design a Pokemon that would be the base for all of these new additions, and simply let it evolve into one of the "evolutions" depending on the Pokemon's use and environment.

(2)Nidoran (fm) and Nidoran (m) were both the same Pokemon, just classified differently because of their distinct differences because of gender. Thus, they could do the same in this instance, as they are the same but have small physical differences, BUT THEY DO NOT. SUGGESTING THEY WERE ALL MEANT TO BE ORIGINAL.

(3)This, technically, is not self copying as they have several new art and media designers.

It seems it depends on the area you live in. Because here, in Germany, most of the people are getting it simply because the game is supposedly in "3D".

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-02-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 PM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

I don't know about you, but I HATE it when they add to previous Pokemon. It gets rid of what was already set up for those guys.

Example: Pikachu

Pikachu in all of our games up to Jhoto was a basic Pokemon. It was the first form and we all knew it. Even in the cartoon it was the first form. Now it's the second, the middle. The brings the question, "Why didn't Ash just get a Pichu from the start?" You could argue that Pichu doesn't live in Kanto, or that Oak simply found a Pikachu and caught it, but I digress that adding to past ones gets rid of what was already set up about them.

Plus, if you add to past one,s you're still adding to the numbers of Pokemon we have to learn and recognize.

Also, how is it hard to remember all the Pokemon? Off hand, I'm sure you can name 50 different animal species. I'm sure you can name around a hundred different bands, I'm sure you can throw out a good hundred or so boy names or girl names. Why would having so many Pokemon be any different than any of those situations? You're still using memory, and it's not like it's that difficult unless you yourself have the brain of a ninety-year-old who is currently losing all their memories.

=P

Also, if they just do more of the Nidoran business, you'll eventually start to call that unoriginal. Same for just adding to the past ones. You'll complain about how you're sick of them keeping to the old ones and how you'd like to see a lot more self evolutionary ones that have no connection to the old guys.

I don't even want to get into the grief that would be cause by having another Pokemon similar to Eevee in it's evolutionary chain. I'm sure you'd have a mars mountain worth of bashing and trolling if they did that.

=^^= Nya
Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Ant2011 Offline
-=Create=-

Send a message via AIM to Ant2011

I think Nintento is trying to fill a gap. They tried to make a game with ALL NEW pokemon. Every previous game has had like, less than half from previous generations. They needed to fill the type/power gap. If they just made a game with 50-75 pokemon they'd all be original. They put the past aside for the first half of the game and put the designers to work. Yes, there will be a few similar pokemon. Also, don't all people look alike, save for skin, hair, and eye color?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:21 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Quote:

Someone needs to learn how to research and read.

Where in the heck did you come up with 50 million? The PS3 version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 only had 748,092 pre-orders, while the Xbox360 had 1,857,294 and the PC had 304,079. It might of sold 50 million copies, but not reserved. Don't believe me? Here:http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders.php?date=40125

No. WaterPokemonMaster(Owner of Pokebeach) is saying that Black and White are the most pre-order games RIGHT NOW. Yes, the sentence in question is vague, but it also doesn't state in any way that Black and White are the most pre-order games ever.

VGChartz(that is were it's quoted from) is saying it has a margin of 4 to 1 over the next game on the list, which is Dragon Age II. I really don't know where you got Pokemon Diamond and Pearl from.....http://www.vgchartz.com/article/8383...mon-dominates/

And lol at your last sentence. Pure opinion, which is ok, but stating it as a fact is not.

Now all of of that(except for WPM's comment) is the "truth". Stop pulling your facts out of thin air and stop making assumption. If you actually want to prove something to someone, then you need to do better than that or no one will take you seriously.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Last edited by scubasteveE; 02-03-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Meowth, you simply misunderstand my points, and since you see that I am not a fanboy of Pokemon and I am willing to speak against it, you are claiming I will dislike everything new about it.

And Scuba, despite my mistake, it is true. And if that is not what that quote is saying, suggest a rewording.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Ant2011 Offline
-=Create=-

Send a message via AIM to Ant2011

Can I just say that I find it hilarious how we went from "Possible similarities" to "Prove how they're all different using common real world logic" :3
Old 02-04-2011, 01:55 AM
scubasteveE Offline

Quote:
Meowth, you simply misunderstand my points, and since you see that I am not a fanboy of Pokemon and I am willing to speak against it, you are claiming I will dislike everything new about it.

And Scuba, despite my mistake, it is true. And if that is not what that quote is saying, suggest a rewording.
Truth? What truth? You haven't backed anything up with anything to prove it is true. Please post a link to where it says "People are only buying Black and White for the graphics" or "Pokemon has been losing consumers since 2005"? Did you know Diamond and Pearl(14.77 million) sold more copies then Ruby and Sapphire(13 million)? They also sold more than Gold and Silver(14.51 million)? Really NOTHING you have said is true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant2011 View Post
Can I just say that I find it hilarious how we went from "Possible similarities" to "Prove how they're all different using common real world logic" :3
I don't know. People come with these crazy ideas that if pokemon look similar, they have ran out of ideas. It's quite comical.....

Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant2011 View Post
So, instead of adding maybe a species mechanic, they should just add 150 more new and "original" ones?

And as for Scuba, the truth I am speaking is that the article needs to be reworded in the sense that it sounds like it is claiming BW is getting preorders more than any other game. That is not true, and despite me misreading information, you posted yourself that there were more MW2 preorders than BW. Though, according to you, the quote does not mean that. Whatever, either way I am correct at that point.

And dude, if you live around where I live, Pokemon was once adored like a god, now it is hardly a pass time. And in the place I live, everybody is saying they are buying it just for the graphics. So, in my local census, I am right again.

I acknowledge I am mistaken on a global scale. However, it is not comical as there are similarities, and it gets old fast.

Is everyone forgetting that you can make Pokemon out of inanimate objects too? But yet, all these people are saying that they are following a nature. Instead of wasting time and wasting our brains as we try to rack them to memorize 150 more, how about making a system such as this:

Deerling>Sawsbuck
|
---> Stantler

or

Glameow/Purrloin

Could the evolution, or even the appearance change but names appear the same?

I find it amusing how you result to calling my accusations "comical" when they are not. If you find that it is, why are you wasting your time? When conducting an argument, try not to insult one's views, rather just state why you disagree with them.

I should seriously publish a book on how to wage an argument (if this can even be considered one) properly.