Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Black/White 2 » Pokemon: Black/White

Pokemon: Black/White Discuss the game: Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. Ask/Answer questions and discussions about Pokemon Black/White only.

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Major resemblances?

^I sense a racism lawsuit^

Wowzers! A lot of similarities, and a lot more I did not post.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Broderick Offline

Send a message via AIM to Broderick Send a message via MSN to Broderick
Default Re: Major resemblances?

You have to think about something. These guys have been designing pokemon for almost 15 years now. There are over 600 (right? ~100 new ones for 5th gen?) of them. Six. Hundred.
I'd like to see you design 600 pokemon and have none of them have a little similarity between each other.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

When I first saw Kibago, I didn't even think about Gible. I actually thought it looked a lot like Larvitar. To each his own, I suppose. x3

Well, there are a lot of ideas Pokémon has, of yet, not delved into. Greek mythology, for one, and many different animals they still haven't included. I have been looking forward to a dolphin Pokémon for the past three generations. Not once have I seen one. No, Kyogre does not count. It is clearly just a whale. Nor have I seen cardinals. Nor krill. Nor lemurs. Nor aardvarks.

Many of them are really creative. Once I saw the Oshawott and Snivy evolution lines, I became ecstatic. And then Blitzle? Munna? The Vanipeti evolution line? The Tamagetake evolution line? The Monozu evolution line? Never seen anything like them in the past few generations.

~Professor Geoffrey
Old 01-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Rival Silver Offline
Elite Trainer

So much resemblence between Gible and Axew!

<--- Credit to Doodlebop|Credit to Temporal Snake
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broderick View Post
You have to think about something. These guys have been designing pokemon for almost 15 years now. There are over 600 (right? ~100 new ones for 5th gen?) of them. Six. Hundred.
I'd like to see you design 600 pokemon and have none of them have a little similarity between each other.
Yes, and when it gets to that point, that is when you stop and deal with the mons you already have.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Skylands Offline

I noticed these resemblances as soon as the 5th gen Pokemon were revealed.

Either way, you cannot deny the same about past generations. Examples:

Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree > Wurmple/Silcoon/Beautifly
Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill > Wurmple/Cascoon/Dustox
Kabuto/Kabutops > Anorith/Armaldo (the claws and blade-like forearms)
Magikarp/Gyarados > Feebas/Milotic
Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu > Minun/Plusle > Pachirisu (and now Emonga)
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Trent Reznor Offline

Send a message via AIM to Trent Reznor Send a message via MSN to Trent Reznor Send a message via Skype™ to Trent Reznor

Perhaps each region's Pokemon are actually supposed to resemble each other.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Gokudera-Kun

Sup guys? I'm Charles Darwin, maybe you've heard of me(lol). So, I was on this boat in the Galapagos just chillin', and get this, I found these finches. But on each island, the finches were different. Can you believe that? They looked similar, but that's because they all evolved from the same type of bird. They adapted to their island's habitat. Crazy, right?

There are similarities in nature, there are going to be similarities in Pokemon too. Also, Broderick is right kids, you try and come up with 600 completely unique creatures.

VPP: Giratina, Level100 @ 4,554
Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Ridley Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ridley

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Expy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtropes
As with almost every other male protagonist, the male protagonist resembles Red. His beta banner sprite even had the same hat-hold as Red and his signature smirk. Now it resembles his HGSS sprite except without the hat-hold. Also, to represent a completely new ecosystem within the Unova region, a lot of ideas from previous games had to be reused. Even the plantlife has changed.

◦Klink is an expy of the Magnemite and Beldum families. Floating, one-eyed metal objects that work in clusters.
◦Bianca, your female rival, seems to resemble a female Barry. She's even got his personality.
◦Munna has the same type, classification, and abilities as Drowzee and Hypno. Musharna has a different classification, but instead looks like a Drowzee with added femininity.
◦Emonga, the new Pikaclone of the generation, is blatantly a steal from Pachirisu. Both are electric squirrels with very similar designs, although Emonga is a flying squirrel, and so boasts an Electric/Flying combination.
◦Tabunne, as the new Healing Pokémon, seems to slot into Chansey's position rather nicely. Along with being pink and kind of bovine, meaning it could be said to be like Miltank as well.
◦Mamanbou is a heartshaped Water-type Pokémon- Luvdisc, anyone?
◦Baffuron is Tauros with an afro.
◦Kon/Corn looks a lot like Falkner, with the blue hair and Peek A Bangs.
◦Dangoro, Gigalith's pre evolution, can be considered an expy of Geodude, since it's a rock type that might possibly take its role and appear commonly in caves. It can also be considered one of Beldum, since they both have one eye, a similar type of head, and evolve into a quadrupedal creature with two eyes.
◦The Dokkora line are expies of the Machop line.
◦Woobat for Zubat. Their American names even rhyme!
◦Along with Pidove for Pidgey, Tabunne for Chansey, Patrat for Rattata, Yorterrie for Whismur, Choroneko for Poochyena (by its role in the game) or Meowth (by its appearance and personality), Blitzle for Electrike, Kurumiru and Fushide for Caterpie and Weedle, Monmen and Churine for Oddish and Bellsprout, Yabukuron for Grimer, Tesshido for Pineco, Axew for Bagon, Victini for Mew, etc etc etc. There are a LOT of expies this Gen.
■This is justified by the decision of having only new Pokémon to be encountered in the wild, and by the sheer amount of pokemon created already. Therefore, some gameplay niches will be filled, and some visual designs will be taken.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Face Here View Post
Perhaps each region's Pokemon are actually supposed to resemble each other.
Finally, someone gets it.

Broderick and Nyurgh pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Ceromax Offline

I honestly think they should have stopped at the 3rd generation, but the Fourth brought a lot of new features such as the gts. and dont reply to this with some Mean comment Please, because i know someone will.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:11 PM

I never asked for any sarcasm.

As I said before, if it gets to that point, it is best to just stop creating Pokemon. If you are running out of ideas. If you are essentially copying other Pokemon and just changing the color a bit, I suggest you just stop. Don't be like Saturday Night Live and continue until nobody likes you anymore.

Sure, continue the show and the games, but 600 Pokemon is getting to be a little ridiculous.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 01-18-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Tsujin Offline

You're on the internet. You should expect Sarcasm at every point.

Also, I would agree with you about stopping if that were the case here, but it's not.
As was stated before some of these pokemon were supposed to look like other pokemon. The creators decided they wanted to make an ENTIRELY NEW REGION.
This being said obviously there is going to be resemblances. If you're not going to put Pidgeys, Rattatas, Bidoofs, & what have you in the beginning of the game then you have to make new ones that fufill those purposes. What, just because it's a new region were not supposed to have a Pidove or Shikijika? Because they look alike is no indication that they are running out of ideas. In all actuality you might as well get used to the idea of that we will have well over possibly 800+ or hell even 1000+ pokemon eventually. It's a whole new region completely separate from all other regions. There is going to be resemblances and I honestly don't think they should stop making pokemon anytime soon.

| Friend Codes / Trade Thread / Battle Log |
| Me IRL / Pokerus Empire / YouTube |
Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 PM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post

As I said before, if it gets to that point, it is best to just stop creating Pokemon. If you are running out of ideas. If you are essentially copying other Pokemon and just changing the color a bit, I suggest you just stop. Don't be like Saturday Night Live and continue until nobody likes you anymore.

Sure, continue the show and the games, but 600 Pokemon is getting to be a little ridiculous.
Well from what I understand, people still like it. :P Black and White are highly considered the best pokemon games and quite possibly the best DS games ever made.

Still, no one really cares that Sawsbuck(idc if it might be fake, it's one of the most creative names) looks like Stantler, it's still a different pokemon. Also, f two pokemon look similar, it doesn't mean they are running out of ideas. And no 649 isn't enough, I want them to keep on making more and more. :D

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 PM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post

Well from what I understand, people still like it. :P Black and White are highly considered the best pokemon games and quite possibly the best DS games ever made.

Still, no one really cares that Sawsbuck(idc if it might be fake, it's one of the most creative names) looks like Stantler, it's still a different pokemon. Also, f two pokemon look similar, it doesn't mean they are running out of ideas. And no 649 isn't enough, I want them to keep on making more and more. :D

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Closed Thread