Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:41 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Why do you write?

Why do you write fan fictions? What do you feel you need to accomplish through writing them?

My goal: To create a story with a mixture cannon and fake characters that have more background than just, "I am from BLAH BLAH BLAH town, and I do BLAH BLAH BLAH because of my BLAH BLAH BLAH first Pokemon," and also to give more purpose to the characters as well.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 01-02-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Winter Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Winter
Default Re: Why do you write?

I write to stave off boredom, and at times because I'm conceited enough to think that I can do a better job at making a story on such and such subject than the writers. And also 'cause I gotta vent my creativity otherwise my brain would asplode. :)

Banner by me! | My dA | My FF.Net
Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Griff4815 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Griff4815

Hmm, I guess it just kind of came naturally after a time. It's fun too.

The biggest Grovyle fan in PE2K or anywhere.
Time Bandit
Old 01-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Well, I write because I have to. When I was first introduced to letting out my ideas (as about 200 ideas had been in there ever since I could piece sentences, really) via WordPad I was crazy happy!! I loved writing and I wrote a lot of short stories. My first one was about "Mr. Giant", a guy who made a playpark in his garden for children to play in.

Ever since then, I've wrote stories. I find them as a way of release and doing what I want to do to my enemies to other characters, which is probably why I never stray away from violence in my stories.

Spoiler:
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 PM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

I write because it's a form of expressing oneself. A lot of my darker side can be put to good use through that art of both drawing and making stories. On top of that, I can't see how people wouldn't like to write them. Sure it takes time, but when accomplished you can create entire worlds, languages, religions, ways of life, all from your head.

For fanfictions, I love writing them because they give a new twist to an already set storyline. For my Mystery Dungeon story, Team 9 Lives, I don't follow the set storyline of the game. This leaves a whole world open for me to create as I wish.

For Plight of Mercury, I have built the fire type past just being a fire type. I love giving them more personality, more background and history. It's even fun when placing stereotypes, sayings, or even racism into the story because it creates a much more believable tale then just going,

"The Growlithe was a fire type Pokemon, a type that could burn you if not watched."

Sure it's true, a Growlithe could burn you, but that's all you're saying about it. You're just saying it's a fire type. Fanfictions just open the world for you and tend to be underestimated in terms of literature. People look down on them because yeah, the idea isn't 100% yours, but at least you're building up something that is.

Heck, if I wanted, I could turn Plight of Mercury into my own story 100% by just turning the fire type Pokemon into different races of fire dragons. xDD

That's why I write both fanfictions and non. it's a way to open something up, build on it, and express myself.

=^^= Nya
Old 01-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

I agree with what's said here, but I hate the differences people purposely mention about fan fiction and non fan fiction. To me...they have no difference. Other than the whole 'copyright' thing, meaning these "fan fictions" are impossible to publish. That's literally, not even kidding, the ONLY thing I find different about fan fiction. I mean, yeah, you use other people's creations (pokemon) and characters (specific characters like protagonists if it's an anime fan fiction or whatever), but hello! If you were to write an original story, then you're using things that you didn't make up--water, trees, worlds, time of day, time of year, the laws of gravity, the fact that atoms make up everything, bugs, animals... I mean, really. Also, when creating 'original' characters, then you're bound to have some kind of influence from another character, meaning that, hey! It's like using a part of someone else's character. And that happens all the time. Unless it's direct plagiarism, it's not a bad thing. Original writing is no better and no worse than fan fiction, and frankly I think they should all just be called "stories".

Yeah...ranting a bit there. Anyway...why I like writing stories? xDD For the obvious reasons, I guess. My passion for pokemon merged with the fact that most of the things I want to see in the anime or play in the games don't happen, and therefore I write what I can't see or play anywhere else. As well as the fact that I love writing, and I find it endlessly fun to create and write about characters that can make the story interesting. I also write what I'd want to read in someone else's stories, or things that I'd like other people to read...for the purpose of giving them inspiration (possibly xD) and whatnot to write their own stories, because writing is a great thing on many levels and has taught me a lot.

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.

Last edited by Graceful_Suicune; 01-06-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

I write because I love to tell stories. I've made up stories since before I could write, and back then I would draw pictures and have my parents write the words of the story. XD I wanted to learn to write as fast as possible so I could write my own stories. Since then, there hasn't been a single time in my life where I haven't been writing or thinking of stories. It's always been something I love and do all the time.

Only since the start of The Path of Destiny have I shared my stories with others, apart from occasionally my sister. Before, the main reason I wrote stories down was so that I could read them later and have a record of all the events that happened in the story (and occasionally to pretend they were real books XD). Now that I have some stories I'm sharing with others, I write them both for myself and for the people who read and enjoy them. Creating characters and stories is just something I've always loved to do, and it makes me pleasantly surprised to know that other people like reading them too.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Giratina Offline

I write because I would die if I didn't.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 01-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Velocity Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful_Suicune View Post
I agree with what's said here, but I hate the differences people purposely mention about fan fiction and non fan fiction. To me...they have no difference. Other than the whole 'copyright' thing, meaning these "fan fictions" are impossible to publish. That's literally, not even kidding, the ONLY thing I find different about fan fiction. I mean, yeah, you use other people's creations (pokemon) and characters (specific characters like protagonists if it's an anime fan fiction or whatever), but hello! If you were to write an original story, then you're using things that you didn't make up--water, trees, worlds, time of day, time of year, the laws of gravity, the fact that atoms make up everything, bugs, animals... I mean, really. Also, when creating 'original' characters, then you're bound to have some kind of influence from another character, meaning that, hey! It's like using a part of someone else's character. And that happens all the time. Unless it's direct plagiarism, it's not a bad thing. Original writing is no better and no worse than fan fiction, and frankly I think they should all just be called "stories".

Yeah...ranting a bit there. Anyway...why I like writing stories? xDD For the obvious reasons, I guess. My passion for pokemon merged with the fact that most of the things I want to see in the anime or play in the games don't happen, and therefore I write what I can't see or play anywhere else. As well as the fact that I love writing, and I find it endlessly fun to create and write about characters that can make the story interesting. I also write what I'd want to read in someone else's stories, or things that I'd like other people to read...for the purpose of giving them inspiration (possibly xD) and whatnot to write their own stories, because writing is a great thing on many levels and has taught me a lot.

~GS.
While I think that writing original stories is a bit better for creative improvement, I completely agree with what's said here. Fanfiction is a great way to take what's already been done and improve upon it, adding your own ideas. What, after all, separates a fanfiction from a collaboration, which is called 'original'? Little. You're still using the other person's ideas for a story you're writing in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina View Post
I write because I would die if I didn't.
This sums it up in a nutshell.

I have written from pretty much the day I knew how. It's some pretty bad crap that I read every now and again to tell myself to thank the Lord I've improved. It's a great way to express my creativity and capture my ideas that I don't have the skill to illustrate. It lets me visualize my fantasies and fascinations. It helps me live in my own little worlds. And they are very fun, twisted places~

Thanks, Speed and Dino and also Speed! :D