Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Post Hands On with the Nintendo 3DS

David Ewalt of Forbes managed to try out the Nintendo 3DS at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. According to him, the system is compelling, but has some downsides.

Announced last spring at the E3 expo, the 3DS capitalizes on one of the hottest trends in consumer electronics: 3-dimensional video. But unlike the 3D movies you might catch in a theater, or even the 3D televisions sold by companies like Panasonic or Philips, the 3DS doesn’t require a pair of dorky glasses. Instead, the device’s top screen produces an autostereoscopic three-dimensional image, displaying multiple views that your eyes perceive as having real depth.

Today at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, I got to play with a 3DS for the first time, trying different pieces of software, including an augmented reality card game. So far, I’m impressed and excited –though I do have a few reservations.

First and foremost, the 3D is extremely cool. Since you’re not wearing special glasses, it feels very natural and real, like the image on the screen has actual depth, and you could poke your finger into it. A small slider switch lets you adjust the false depth of the image, so you can turn the 3D off entirely, or tweak it to your particular eyesight.

In one game, Pilotwings Resort, I controlled a Mii wearing a rocket belt, and had to fly around a landscape, navigating obstacles and popping balloons by colliding with them. The gameplay was simple and intuitive, the rockets easily controlled by the device’s new analog input pad. And the 3D interface was simply perfect for flight simulation –I was actually flying around things, not just to the left or right of them.

That said, the augmented reality has some issues. The 3DS wants you to keep a distance of about 30 inches from the card, and every time I pulled too far away, it would pause the game. That happened a lot. Admittedly, this was my first time playing, but it’s clear the augmented reality feature will only work within a limited range of movement.

Limited movement is also an issue with the 3D screen overall. Thanks to the depth slider button, you can easily hold the device anywhere from a few inches from your eyes all the way to full arms-length, and still get the 3D effect. But tilt it to the left or right, or move it towards one side of your body or another, and the screen goes blurry. This device must be held pretty much straight in front of you, and I can see where that would be tiring.

And while I didn’t play with the 3DS for much more than twenty minutes, I do worry about how much eyestrain it will cause over extended use. Nintendo’s already warned that children under the age of six shouldn’t use the 3D feature, since it could cause vision problems. I wonder if a grownup wouldn’t develop at least temporary strains or pains, if they played for a couple hours or more.

Still, it’s hard to argue with how well the 3D works. I watched a short series of animated video clips on the device and they looked great. I can’t wait to see the original games developed for this format. Nintendo has also made deals with movie studios to put 3D movies on the device, and I think they’ll be popular.

Source: Forbes

More...
Old 01-08-2011, 02:46 AM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420
Default Re: Hands On with the Nintendo 3DS

this is just my opinion,
1st I have to say I love the color scheme to the 3DS. it stands out and i consider it to have a maculine look.
that being said I really wouldnt pay MSRP on this item unless i get it used at gamestop or something.
I'd just aswell spend that dough on a DSi XL, but to each their own.

Pokérus Empire
Old 01-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Being the scrooge I am, I'd probably wind up turning off the 3D for a while. I'm really excited though about how this thing connects to the internet more easily - a feat I still cannot do with my four year old DS Lite (yet the Wii, I can).

Tiddlywinks! *Poofs*
Old 01-08-2011, 06:32 AM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

I'm very excited for this. Though the strain is a risky thing, I am hyped to see how Nintendo pulls off the 3D gaming. If what this dude says is true, I am going to have way too much fun with this. I already act like a little kid in every 3D movie I see, trying to grab every single object that comes at me.

With this, FFFFFF WHO KNOWS WHAT CHILD LIKE BEHAVIORS WILL SHOW! xD

O.O; Pokemon in 3DS would be amazing. I pray to the heavens that they makea game for it, and not something silly or dumb like Pokmemondash. I mean like, hardcore awesome like in Mystery Dungeon or Rangersm, heck even Colosseum or Gale of Darkness!!! That would be fantastic.

=^^= Nya
Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMeowth View Post
I'm very excited for this. Though the strain is a risky thing, I am hyped to see how Nintendo pulls off the 3D gaming. If what this dude says is true, I am going to have way too much fun with this. I already act like a little kid in every 3D movie I see, trying to grab every single object that comes at me.

With this, FFFFFF WHO KNOWS WHAT CHILD LIKE BEHAVIORS WILL SHOW! xD

O.O; Pokemon in 3DS would be amazing. I pray to the heavens that they makea game for it, and not something silly or dumb like Pokmemondash. I mean like, hardcore awesome like in Mystery Dungeon or Rangersm, heck even Colosseum or Gale of Darkness!!! That would be fantastic.

=^^= Nya
OOOOHHHHHH MY GOD. Imagine a continuation from Gale of Darkness on the 3DS! AMAZING. owo

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 01-08-2011, 08:33 AM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumori Gem View Post
OOOOHHHHHH MY GOD. Imagine a continuation from Gale of Darkness on the 3DS! AMAZING. owo
*imagines and begins drooling* IT WOULD BE AMAZING!! Who knows, maybe Ho-oh would the be the ultimate target if a continuation was made!

SHADOW HO-OH FOR PEACE AND LOVE! xDDD

=^^= Nya
Old 01-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMeowth View Post
*imagines and begins drooling* IT WOULD BE AMAZING!! Who knows, maybe Ho-oh would the be the ultimate target if a continuation was made!

SHADOW HO-OH FOR PEACE AND LOVE! xDDD

=^^= Nya
Wasn't Ho-Oh the ultimate target for Colosseum?

Anyway, I'm psyched for this. It'll be really weird playing in 3D for the first time.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 PM
shadowinfernape Offline
Experienced Trainer

Imagine Pokemon Snap on the 3DS!Pokemon jumping out using the slider to move the camera and more pokemon!It would be really cool to get the 3DS and It's 3D games!

and more.

check it out if you can!

To shadowinfernape's fiery sprite shop
Old 01-08-2011, 08:15 PM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJello View Post
Wasn't Ho-Oh the ultimate target for Colosseum?
Can't remember... I haven't played Colosseum in so long...

=^^= Nya
Old 01-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

The 3DS seems pretty cool. I wonder how Pokemon games will work on it in future though. I can't imagine sprite-based games to look that good with the 3D thing so maybe they'll be forced to move away from that.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

I used to have the income to buy two of everything the day they came out... now I'm living a bit more frugally. LOL.

I'm still on only one DS Lite and most of the time still use my pokepark side-lit original DS.

I only use one eye at a time due to my autism, so I'm not sure how the 3d would work for me. Might be more of an annoyance than anything. I would love a DLi XL, though.

Not keen to see any of the "shadow" pokemon games ported. I don't really like the animation art style for the humans in the game -- dislike them enough I find the games annoying -- especially the first one where you were followed by your "partner". I ended up seeing how often I could trap her places, like stairwells and caves.

If there are games for this platform, I hope they are awhile in coming. I still have some catching up to do on consoles beforehand.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Gokudera-Kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Gokudera-Kun

Metal Gear Solid, Persona, and Resident Evil are already confirmed for 3DS. But I heard the battery only lasts 3-5 hours.

VPP: Giratina, Level100 @ 4,554