A stew of new information came out today from the Pokemon Black and White site
concerning the upcoming Pokemon Black and White games. The first of new information is that a release date for Pokemon Black and White has been announced. American Pokemon fans can start buying the games on March 6th, 2011 but you can start preordering your copy of the games today!
Also announced today were English names concerning people, locations and pokemon. Hiun City has now been dubbed Castelia City. At the time of this writing, little is known about where this name came from but I suspect it comes from Castalia who was a nymph in Greek mythology. If the names of the cities are going to be based on Greek mythology then this will be a new twist in the Pokemon series.
The English name for Professor Araragi has been announce to be Professor Juniper which keeps up with the tradition of naming professors based on trees.
Several English names for the new Pokemon features in Pokemon Black and White has also been announce. Below is a list of the pokemon.
- Minccino is the name that Chillarmy will be called by American Pokemon fans. The name seem to be based off ‘Mink’ and the word ‘Chino’. Mink is an animal similar to a chinchilla and Chino is a type of cloth. Minccino’s signature move has been translated as Tail Slap.
- Gigaiath is English name decided to drop the ‘i’ and be replaced with a ‘l’.
- Munna kept it’s Japanese during the English transition along with the move Telekinesis.
- Megucroco has been given the name Sandile for the English release of the games. This is a play on the words ‘Sand’ and ‘Crocodile’. The ability Overconfidence that Sandile along with many pokemon has been dubbed Moxie. Seems a bit off since Overconfidence gave a bit of arrogance feel while Moxie gives the feeling of like as if the pokemon is working off justified bravery.
- Mamepato has been dubbed as Pidove which mostly likely is a combination of ‘Pigeon’ and ‘Dove’. It’s ability Pigeon Heart has been translated as Big Peaks.
- The electric zebra, Shimama, will now go by the name of Blitzle. This seems to be a play on the word ‘Blitz’. Wild Bolt, a move that Blitzle learns, has been kept during translation.
- The gear pokemon, Gear, English name will be Klink. An interesting name that is has a mechanical feel to it. It seems to be based on the sound that gears sometimes make. No word if Klink’s signature move Gear Saucer has been changed.
- Darmanitan is the English name for Hihidaruma. This seem to have a little bit of the word ‘Daruma’* and ‘Orangutan’. Encourage has been renamed as Sheer Force.
A lot of other information has been revealed on the Pokemon Black and White site. Some other information was revealed such as the color of your pokedex will depend on the gender that you choose and a Random Match-Up feature where one can find a random battle on Nintendo WiFi without the use of a Friend Code.