Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 AM
Sight of the Stars Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sight of the Stars Send a message via Skype™ to Sight of the Stars
Default Skies of Gray (Second Chapter Now UP)

Author's Note: This chapter is no longer a mess. I edited and redid it. :) Also, I'm a short chapter person.

Skies of Gray (PG-13)

.introduction.

Just yesterday she saw the piece of animated artwork that they call ‘dawn’.

Dawn always started with the strokes of light in the eastern reaches in the night sky, caressing the darkness with a gentleness that only the rising sun could ever muster. The light extended its soft touch outwards, resetting the ever-changing borders of its realm once more, setting a feathered edge that would soon take over the sky.

Dawn was always spent alone in silence. Just yesterday she had basked in the rising sun, watching the sky take on its pink hue, which faded shortly after. It was always beautiful, seeing the sun slowly ascending past the jagged line of the forested horizon. The light enhanced the landscape whether it was morning or afternoon.

Just yesterday she had rested at the roots of a large Kapok tree in the forest, eating the Rattata she had caught, staring at the light that dappled the ground with a look of boredom.

Never again would she ever think the dawn or the light-speckled forest floor boring.

.chapter one.
-what we'll never have again-

A figure streaked down the sandy, light-colored beach of the crescent moon-shaped island, cream fur blending with the gritty sand. The crimson sun frantically nipped at the undersides of stringy clouds, fighting to leave it's orange light on the bottom of them.

A sea of bobbing heads broke the clean line of the horizon just as the figure came to a stop, blue eyes not moving from the approaching Pokemon. One of the heads lifted above the rest, mouth gaping. A gorgeous call of greeting rang out, echoing over the whispering waves. All nine tails of the cream-colored Pokemon on the beach began swaying slightly, in a sort of tail wag. The Ninetales tipped her head back and sent a powerful howl back out over the water. It echoed eerily before finally fading.

Trumpets of joy rippled through the approaching Lapras, and the native Pokemon of the island emerged from the tropical forest the coated the chunk of land in the middle of the lonely ocean. Kangaskan stomped into the open, Psyduck stumbled and tripped on the sand, Nidoking and Nidoqueen lifted their horns to the sky as they stepped into the light, Scyther slashed through the undergrowth and into the glare of the sun. Wingull swooped, Swallow dipped and dived, Crobat peered out from behind palms, and Pidgeot and Pidgeotto crowed both gentle and harsh notes. All activity in the island was sucked to the shore as the Lapras approached.

Every summer they came in a marvelous group. The creatures were beautiful and graceful in the water. Their flippers, two large ones in the front and two smaller in the back, swept through the water, churning it and pushing their blue bodies forward. Their rounded head was topped by two curls on the back of their skulls. They all had large, gray shells on their back, the blunt spikes that protruded from them making their silhouetted outline jagged against the crimson sun. They were all graceful, blue masters of the sea.

Except for one.

It wasn't that she wasn't a master of the sea, or that she wasn't graceful. In fact, she was the leader of the group, the one that had first called out to the Ninetales as they had come into sight. The leader of the group was pure white with a silver shell.

Wynn hadn't gained leadership with her gorgeous color, though. She had earned her position. She was the most respected Lapras out of all of them. Her name was often used to name children. She was very old but still strong. She had no children; she had never taken a mate, for she never felt like having children. She just never found the right Lapras.

Krabby and Kingler scuttled about, gathering wood. The other Pokemon began helping, and before the Lapras arrived they had four huge piles of wood shaped like cones on the beach, each about 50 yards away from each other. As the Lapras drew near they stopped, and Wynn gracefully glided forward through the water.

The Ninetales, named Sight of the Stars, was the well-known leader of the island. She waded into the water. The two stopped about three feet away, gazing at each other. After a long, seemingly endless pause, the two moved forward and touched noses. Cheers burst from the island. The group of Lapras moved forward and Sight of the Stars returned to the shore, smiling. Wynn was her best friend. Tomorrow the best part of summer would begin. But for the night, a celebration was to be had, for the traditional event must be carried out.

Sight of the Stars rushed a pile of wood, paws blurring on the sand. Her small paws pounded the gritty substance with much force, sending sand flying behind her, and her nine, flowing tails rippled with her stride.

She reached the last pile of wood and dug her claws into the sand, and swerved, running by the other side of it. As she passed she blew a plume of flame into the middle of the wood, sending it ablaze. As she passed each pile she lit it on fire. As she set the last one on fire, the food came out. Plates of wood and stone were brought out, filled with gathered fruits and greens, but not meat (to avoid anyone taking offense). The meat eaters dashed into the rainforest.

Here, only the small animals were used as prey. Rattata and Raticate were the most common prey type, and the Bidoof that hung around the lagoon were a great snack. Small birds were common prey, but no Pokemon that visited the festivities were allowed to be eaten. A lot of small Pokemon didn't come, for they despised the Lapras. Sometimes a Rattata would snatch food and flee, though they risked being caught.

Nobody noticed Sight of the Stars and Wynn slipping away. Wynn dipped her head under the water, coming up for air as she swam away in silence. Sight of the Stars' paws landed on the sand without noise. The two headed for the lagoon, where they always met and shared the tales of the sea and of the island in private.

That was the last time they managed to discuss such fortunate news.
[12:38:59 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: ...So how do we do this? XD
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH"
[12:39:57 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: XDDD
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."

Last edited by Sight of the Stars; 01-08-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sight of the Stars Send a message via Skype™ to Sight of the Stars
Default Re: Skies of Gray (First Chapter Now UP)

Chapter Directory

-Chapter 1
-Chapter 2
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH"
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."

Last edited by Sight of the Stars; 01-08-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Dr Robotnik Offline

Oh dear, the poor Bidoof that must sacrifice their lives for the common good! ... Not that I care about Bidoof anyways. On to my thoughts!

I liked it, but I thought it was short XD That Ninetails is your favorite, innit?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:05 PM

My author's note says I'm a short chapter person. x3 And you should know that by now I don't like long chapters. :3

Ninetalessss<3
Old 12-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Oooh, Nessie, this feels very intriguing. I love the idea so far, as I've always liked the whole Pokemon-in-charge thing... like, when they're mature and cool. xD Like WARRIOR CATS.

I also love Sight of the Stars' name. O:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf of the Snow View Post
Sight of the Stars rushed a pile of wood
Is that supposed to be rushed to a pile of wood? o-o

Anyway, I'll keep reading!

Old 01-01-2011, 12:27 AM

Rushed *at. Woops. I'll go fix that.

CAITTT<333333
Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf of the Snow View Post
Rushed *at. Woops. I'll go fix that.

CAITTT<333333
I guessed as much. xD

*huggle*

Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Okay, finally got a chance to read this! Though I don't know much of the plot so far, I really like the idea and concept, and the story had both and interesting opening and end that made me wonder about the story and where it's plot is going to go.

Quote:
native Pokemon of the island emerged from the tropical forest the coated the chunk of land
That
Quote:
Scyther slashed through the undergrowth and into the glare of the sun.
Not a typo, but.... =D =D =D =DDD

I really liked the description you used here. It really made the island seem isolated and secret. The pokemon gathering when the lapras arrived was interesting. I like the idea of an old, odd-colored lapras being their leader. I wonder what sort of news she has to bring to Sight of the Stars. It's probably nothing good. D:

I found it interesting that Sight of the Stars was the leader of the island pokemon. I wonder how it works with one pokemon leading all the groups of species, though I guess for the most part the other species just agree on some rules and otherwise get left to their own devices or something?

I like how you acknowledged that some of the pokemon were predators; most of the time that gets left out in stories and it always bothers me. I find it a little sad that the scythers and other predators had to leave the celebration to eat. I would think (but then again, I don't know, I'm not a prey pokemon) that seeing others eating meat wouldn't bother them so much, since they're wild and would be used to how things work in nature. I guess if someone who belonged to the species of the prey being eaten could be offended, though. I think they need to work something out where the predators have their own little area to eat and be served food that would be separate from where the berries and stuff were, so they wouldn't have to leave the celebrating. xD

Looking forward to seeing where this story goes. ^^

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

I demand a green ninetales named...Uh...Blows with the Wind! Yeah >.> Lol.

A white Lapras! Ooooh~ I love it <3 Not shiny, something unique all-together. I'll call it the..."Legendary Color" since a white Lapras is so cooooool, it's almost legendary! (Similarly, a gold Aggron or a red Articuno would be up there too ;D )

I liked it. Short, but to the point. Poor Rattata. I have one that knows Flame Wheel and Swords Dance. He's a beast >:3

I sense trouble on the horizon, though >.>
Old 01-08-2011, 04:08 AM

.chapter two.

-pool of memories-

The two Pokemon knew each other all too well.

The full moon’s face grinned down on them, it’s pale smile rippling as it reflected on the deep blue waters of the lagoon. Orange and yellow specks of flickering light jumped on the water’s surface as the minuscule waves fluttered through the water. Volbeat and Illumise, the cause of these lights, drifting lazily over the gentle lagoon.

Wynn’s swift movements made V-shaped ripples through the water, but they were very small. For once, Sight of the Stars’ pawsteps were not completely silent as her paws sank into the mud with a slight squelch sound as she padded alongside the water that lapped at the shore with a rough hushing sound as the waves rasped over the sand.

Immediately, Sight of the Stars looked Wynn over. Scars on her left side. The pained look in her eyes with very strain of a muscle. Chipped shell spike on her right side. Wynn and the Ninetales stopped moving. The fox Pokemon sat down on a cool, dry rock with Wynn about five feet in front of her in the water.

"Not much shade from the sun 'cause of the lack of clouds, eh? And trouble with the Sharpedo again?” Her assessment, as always, couldn’t be more accurate. Wynn nodded, her eyes swiftly sweeping over Sight of the Stars.

“Everything has gone fine this year?” Wynn asked, not as skilled as Sight of the Stars in this area.

Sight of the Stars lowered her head and looked to the side a bit, closing her eyes. She visibly winced, muscles twitching. When she looked back at Wynn, her eyes were filled with sorrow.

“Physically, yes, but the Pokemon of Mooncrest are not mentally fine... Daul died two months ago.”

“No!” the white Lapras exclaimed, fins rising and slapping the water. The moon’s reflection shuddered violently, quaking as she sent waves through the lagoon. “Not Daul!” This obviously troubled Wynn.

“Yes. It was of natural causes, but it is a great loss,” Sight of the Stars said.

“I can’t believe it... he was so strong a few years ago when he withdrew from the position as Mooncrest’s leader. Blastoise usually live longer.”

“Ah, but remember, he was at least twenty when he came to the island,” she reminded. Daul had been an excellent leader, and had once done the same thing as her and Wynn were doing now only a few years ago. It had thrown the Pokemon into a state of unease, as losing the most valuable elder always did. He had been powerful and wise.

“He will be missed,” Wynn admitted sadly, dipping her head. They shared a long, eerie period of complete silence. Kricketot chirruped nearby. There was an additional pause.

“I feel something... I don’t know what it is,” Sight of the Stars said. The Ninetales’ nine, long, brown-tipped tails swirled with unease.

“Yes,” Wynn agreed, nodding. “I have felt it... I am unsure as to what it means, though.” Both of their brows furrowed as they thought hard, frustrated. Then, they both sighed in unison.

“Daul would know,” they both said at the same time. Another pause.

“We’ll find out soon enough,” the Lapras said, eyes trained on her close friend, who dipped her head.

This time the silence was something that rarely ever happened; it was awkward. An awkward moment of silence had almost never been shared between the two Pokemon. Usually they carried on from one subject to the next swiftly. Whether it was the strange feeling the Pokemon had or the death of Daul that caused this was something neither one of them could even begin to fathom.

“The sun was horrid this year,” Wynn said. It had been the first thing that had come to mind as far as breaking the silence went.

“I saw that several of the Lapras were sunburned. You are lucky that you do not burn as well. Usually light colored Pokemon burn easily.”

“I used to burn, but my skin got used to it. The red was the only pigment that it ever had, really, other than white. I never tanned. It just peeled and-”

“Shh!”

“Oh, I’m sorry if that’s a bit-”

“No, not that!” Sight of the Stars said. “Listen!”

They fell into silence. Only then did they notice that the Kricketot had stopped their song and the Illimuse and the Volbeat had either moved away or simply refused to flash.

Instead of hearing it, they felt it.

The water rippled and the trees of the tropical rainforest did the same as a tremor pulsed through the earth like a giant shockwave. Birds flew up from the trees in waves, their cries of shock engulfing the island. They all fled. The birds knew something that they didn’t. Quiet wrapped itself around Mooncrest as they flew wildly out to sea.

Another tremor blasted the island. It knocked Sight of the Stars off of her paws, sending her tumbling into the water. She surfaced and managed to paddle back before Wynn made it to her. Trees quaked and leaves fell.

Then it was quiet again.

An instinct pulsed strongly through their veins. Run!, it screamed. Run as far and as fast away as you can! But the overpowering curiosity of Wynn and Sight of the Stars won over. They were about to go investigate when a strange Pokemon appeared, bursting through the undergrowth.

It was a strange sight-- a jet black Vulpix appeared, mysterious, purple-hued eyes shining with terror. His breathing was ragged and he panted. He had obviously ran all the way across the vast island to get to them.

“The... tremors! They sent some Pokemon out to sea!” he exclaimed in a frantic manner in between his gasps for air. Sight of the Stars and Wynn were interested immediately; they both tensed, ready to take off any moment. “The Lapras are trying to save them. The fires were put out and the Illimuse and Vulbeat have gone there to help. All of the birds have fled!”

“Lead me to them, Nightfawn!” Sight of the Stars demanded, her tone sharp and commanding. The Vulpix nodded and dashed into the undergrowth without a moment’s notice. Sight of the Stars glanced back at Wynn with a nod. The Lapras turned, dove into the water, and resurfaced about twenty yards away. She sped out of sight, exiting the lagoon as she swam with all of her might. Sight of the Stars whipped around and followed Nightfawn. She caught up with him easily; he had shorter legs, being a Vulpix.

He hadn’t been fibbing. Lapras were hauling small Pokemon back to shore. The beach was in a frenzy. Pokemon rushed around tending to the ones that had been rescued and others stood by, terrified and confused. They were unsure of what to do. The gaze of the leader turned downshore. She could hear the distant sound of water being displaced rapidly. Wynn was almost here. Her path of sight swivelled back around as she went to relight the fires. She breathed endless plumes of flame onto the wet wood until it partially dried each pile out and finally allowed them to completely catch fire.

Finally, when all of the Pokemon were brought back from the sea, Sight of the Stars and Wynn stayed up as the rest of the exhausted island residents collapsed on the beach. Their eyes drooped and they refused to rest until dawn weaved it’s web of light across the eastern skies. Then Wynn pulled herself to the shore and rested her head on the gritty sand, too exhausted to sleep floating. Sight of the Stars passed out with her front paws and head on the neck of the white Lapras, anchoring the other Pokemon to the shore.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron
Default Re: Skies of Gray (Second Chapter Now UP)

My guess is that the volcano is going to erupt. Or people are blasting the area to find gold.

Oooh - I want to sprite Nightfawn now <3 And Dual...Wow. I feel bad, even though we didn't even know him. I think a flashback is in order.

Nicely done - I saw one mistake.

Quote:
Immediately, Sight of the Stars looked Wynn over. Scars on her left side. The pained look in her eyes with very strain of a muscle. Chipped shell spike on her right side. Wynn and the Ninetales stopped moving. The fox Pokemon sat down on a cool, dry rock with Wynn about five feet in front of her in the water.
Should be "every".