Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default Rewrite: THIS time, I'm doing it.

Yes, for hopefully the last and most successful time, I will be rewriting Hearthome High, this time as HH: Sinnoh.

The plot is both very similar and very different from the original.

The original plot had all of the teams we all know and love that we knew, Teams Rocket, Aqua, Magma, Galactic, etc, secretly form an alliance named the Pokémon League Association, a friendly organization that was originally supposed to take over for the various different leagues and retire the Elite Four and Champion of every region, eventually fire all of the gym leaders, and take over all of the regions of the area I have as of late called the Honshu province; the collection of all the regions we know now excluding Unova. Sinnoh, due to its weather patterns and geography, was, in the plot, the last region planned to be captured. Since I was a newbie writer at the time, there were a lot of perverted innuendos, gym leaders, frontier brains, and notable trainers altogether. Imagine SSBB with all of the notable trainers from all the games and in the anime. Yeah, it was that intense.

So, to make it smaller yet bigger in the scheme of things, I'm turning the plot into something extremely similar, but I'm expanding it so it's not so many notable trainers in one place so I don't have to end the thing in an all-out Pokémon war again, which was rather stupid. On top of it, I had to end (Sorry, spoiler alert to the ending of the original Hearthome High. It's not how the rewrite will end, though, trust me.) the fanfiction with Arceus ending everything, which was pretty weak of me. But I was a newbie. No longer is everything limited to Hearthome City, and the journey is mobile, going through several regions. Thus the first of the series will be named HH: Sinnoh. I plan for it to be composed of four parts in total. I'm not sure what they other three will be yet, but I will try to make two of them major regions (like Kanto, Hoenn, etc) as opposed to minor regions (Almia, Oblivia, etc). Orre will definitely be one of them, I'm sure.

This time around, are there any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: Rewrite: THIS time, I'm doing it.

I really don’t recommend doing rewrites, even if you are changing some of the plot around and such. It may seem silly, but a thoughtful quote I remember is “when you reach the last page, close the book.” In other words, what’s done is done, don’t look back and try to fix past mistakes, make changes to the old, and try to paint over the ugly parts. In truth, you’re far, far better off shooting to try something new, going for a completely fresh experience, and giving yourself a clean slate to work with rather than try to get muddled up in the confusion of deciding what to change, what to fix, what to keep, what should be done differently, and so on. You’re going to get caught up in a spider web of confusion and as a result, you’ll probably be hitting a lot of serious Writer’s Block, or you might lose motivation to continue as a feeling of “yeah, I’ve written this part before but… I just don’t want to write it all over again. Maybe I’ll do it tomorrow… next week… next month…” and bam.

I’ll admit, I’ve been tempted to do some rewrites of Trial of Juno. In all truth and honesty, the very first segment of ToJ I: The Gray Battlegrounds, is so incredibly chaotic and even loony on some levels that someone could read it and get the wrong impression about the entire story. In truth, The Gray Battlegrounds is very wild when it comes to fantasy, opening up with a very Alice in Wonderland kind of feel and presentation. However, when part II, The Twisted Fields, comes up, the story’s theme and mood becomes very dark and morbid, becoming very gothic in theme and nature, and this remains pretty much the same throughout the rest of Trial of Juno I, II, III, and IV.

However, no matter what, the existence of The Gray Battlegrounds is still critical to everything else that happens in Trial of Juno. Changing it drastically or deleting it in an attempt to replace it with something else opens up a massive amount of plot holes. Instead, I just remind myself that it’s a part of the story, and it’s a part of the foundation that the rest of the saga rests upon. Making a few edits, such as plugging in a bit more description, cleaning up some of the awkward grammar usage, and so on is fine, but making major changes to it is pretty dangerous.

When it comes to Hearthome High, I say use it as a learning experience, and start fresh. Sure, it could be an idea that traces some of its roots to that story, but it should be generally something new and fresh that allows you to create and build the plot and storyline in your own new way rather than try to work around what was said and done. In the end, its really your decision. I’ve had plenty of stories that I never did finish, but I decided to lay them to rest and not try to revisit them in effort to see if I could bring them back from the grave.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 PM

For some reason though, I can't part from the story. I messed it up in so many ways, since it was one of the first ideas I had. I do agree, however, that it should be a learning experience and that afterwards, it should be laid to rest.

I was planning to rewrite it was a completely different plot, but I guess this is just an old story idea that really can't be brought back.

~Professor Geoffrey
Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Giratina Offline

To be honest, I didn't get very far into the original Hearthome High. |D; I don't know why, but the first few chapters were never really interesting enough to warrant an archive binge. I do think that it is good that you're trying to rework it, but like Neo Pikachu said, it's very easy to get bored with writing the same thing again. Changing the ending and all is well and good, but sometimes there are times when you really may need to deviate - and it's not usually a bad idea to try to go somewhere new when you're tired of the old approach. I've been planning to rewrite Metal Coat for about a year now (the reason I didn't was the fact that I'm already failing with two other fics, but oh well), and even before touching the document itself, I've planned character redesigns for almost everyone, a new opening and climax, and basically twisted everything around. It certainly won't follow the same path it did back in 2007. As a matter of fact, I've stopped calling it a "rewrite" and started calling it a "second attempt" - the original will be used as something of a base, but won't be referenced very much at all, so that I can write a better story with the same general idea.

Well, that's my rant. Fortunately, we managed to get through this whole long post without a single mention of my distaste for Team Universal plo--

...wait...

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina View Post
To be honest, I didn't get very far into the original Hearthome High. |D; I don't know why, but the first few chapters were never really interesting enough to warrant an archive binge. I do think that it is good that you're trying to rework it, but like Neo Pikachu said, it's very easy to get bored with writing the same thing again. Changing the ending and all is well and good, but sometimes there are times when you really may need to deviate - and it's not usually a bad idea to try to go somewhere new when you're tired of the old approach. I've been planning to rewrite Metal Coat for about a year now (the reason I didn't was the fact that I'm already failing with two other fics, but oh well), and even before touching the document itself, I've planned character redesigns for almost everyone, a new opening and climax, and basically twisted everything around. It certainly won't follow the same path it did back in 2007. As a matter of fact, I've stopped calling it a "rewrite" and started calling it a "second attempt" - the original will be used as something of a base, but won't be referenced very much at all, so that I can write a better story with the same general idea.

Well, that's my rant. Fortunately, we managed to get through this whole long post without a single mention of my distaste for Team Universal plo--

...wait...
It's true. Rewrites can be difficult to stay with. But I like your idea of calling it a second attempt. xD

Besides, the only story I truly want to rewrite - or rather, reattempt - is Fyre Spin. But the only reason is so I can reformat it to fit in the story that I'm writing instead; Legend: Tohjo.

~Professor Geoffrey
Old 12-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

I never really knew about Hearthome High, but to be honest, I don't agree with what's been said here.

In 2005 I wrote a Sonic story that's very dear to me, and after two years I wanted to rewrite it again. The first one was only 69 pages in a small exercise book, and although it was hilarious and extremely random, there were a lot of flaws and I planned on writing a "good copy" as such. So I opened up Open Office, the Word program I had at the time, and began writing. I finished it in April, 2008, and I was extremely happy with it--I'd fixed some plotholes, patched things up, added new characters, inserted new scenes and the story ended up being way bigger than the original, which I called my draft, and recently I've began editing it and going through everything to make it up to scratch. I want to redo it so I can fix all the plotholes and that kinda thing, and I don't think it's stupid at all.

After doing my first version in 2005, I was really happy, but then two years later I completely rewrote it, and not once did I get bored or procrastinate. Since I changed everything so much, it was basically a new story, yet it held all the precious memories and positive connotations attached. Even now when I occasionally open it to go back and edit the 2008 version, I find myself enjoying it and there's none of this "being caught up in a spider web of confusion" stuff. Maybe it just doesn't apply to me, but I think it's stupid to give something up if you love it so much. There's nothing wrong with going back and rewriting/editing a new story, and I'm really happy that I rewrote it after the first time, and even now that I'm continuing to rewrite it.

Same goes for old chapters of my other stories--it's really great to go back, freshen it up, and get rid of all the mistakes and stuff. I really don't like this "what's done is done and what's past is past" business, because I don't agree. =/

So, you should rewrite it if you want. ^^ It'll bring back memories, and if you've already got a base to go off, then shouldn't that just make it easier?

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.