Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 12-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Lusankya's Avatar
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Lucario View Post
"My" theory of money is not worthless in a philosophical question that the original poster has asked. You are sticking so firmly to the literal form of money you are not even taking into consideration what its figurative meaning is. In philosophy the literal and the figurative both share an equal worth. So the accepted concept of money has as much worth as "my" theory because in a philosophical debate such as this both "my" theory and the literal meaning have to be taken into consideration because the quote "money is the root of all evil" is open for interpretation. Money may just be a general term for a number of things depending on how one thinks the original speaker meant money to be used or it can be as literal as you have stated it to be. Since "money" figuratively is a symbol of wealth and value one could interpret the original speaker meant money as a general term to refer to objects of value.
-_________________________________________-

No. Your theory is completely, and utterly worthless. Money is a defined term. What you try and redefine it as is completely worthless. This is not a "I can interpret this the way I see it." This is a simple fact. You are wrong. It doesn't matter what you say. You cannot redefine money. I'm sorry you cannot comprehend such simple concepts, but seeing as you have failed to understand any of the terms you have used so far and are clearly a ignoramus either pretending to be or thinking he knows something of value despite having been disproved in the usage of words at every turn so far, I am through trying to educate you in basic dictionary use.
__________________

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Blood Red Lucario's Avatar
Blood Red Lucario Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Aboard Starship Enterprise
Posts: 473
Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Blood Red Lucario
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
-_________________________________________-

No. Your theory is completely, and utterly worthless. Money is a defined term. What you try and redefine it as is completely worthless. This is not a "I can interpret this the way I see it." This is a simple fact. You are wrong. It doesn't matter what you say. You cannot redefine money. I'm sorry you cannot comprehend such simple concepts, but seeing as you have failed to understand any of the terms you have used so far and are clearly a ignoramus either pretending to be or thinking he knows something of value despite having been disproved in the usage of words at every turn so far, I am through trying to educate you in basic dictionary use.
So now you resort to insulting me.

If you hadn't noticed I already stated you are right about what money is in its literal sense. I have stated what money is in its figurative sense. But obviously you don't believe in words having both a figurative and literal meaning. And believe it or not Money has more meanings then just the way it is defined in the dictionary. Essentially it boils down to what the original speaker meant when he said "money" either its literal meaning or its figurative meaning.

Because you think the literal term "money" is use in the statement "money is the root to all evil" you are set in stone that money cannot mean anything but the literal definition word. Obviously you need to learn a thing or two about how the symbolism of language. Reading poetry is a good start.

No one is trying to redefine words. You are now not only putting words in my mouth, insulting me, and being dismissive but also saying I'm trying to do things I am not. The use of the word "money" is open to interpretation unless you can find the guy who first misquoted the apostle Paul and ask him what does he mean by "money". We both have valid points whether you believe it or not. Unfortunately, we cannot find an understanding between one another because you are resorting to hostility through insults.

Because you have dropped to hostility our debate is over.

In the quote "money is the root of all evil" it can be interpreted that "money" is used figuratively as a symbol for things of value. Because greed is the overwhelming desire for things of value it can be said that things of value make greed what it is. It is also known that greed is a root to evil. So because objects of value , symbolized by "money", exist greed exists and without objects of value greed would not exist because there would be nothing to desire. Meaning that the root to evil through greed would not exist if it weren't for objects of value, symbolized by "money".

Is "money" THE root to all evil? No, there are many paths to evil. But is it A root to evil? Yes.
__________________

Absol Hatches: 27 Level 100: 312

All credit goes to Knightblazer
URPG

Last edited by Blood Red Lucario; 12-18-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Orthar's Avatar
Orthar Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Away from Crusties.
Posts: 5,506
Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Lucario View Post
Flawed is just a word it exists the way you perceive it in your own reality, nobody else's.

See where that kind of thinking takes us? Absolutely nowhere.
No, flawed is a word which has been defined and is used to describe the situation of something. Greed is a concept, not just a word. You fail to see the point I was trying to make, and instead write stories defending how your logic, which I will once again state is flawed, makes sense. You have absolutely no argument.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-18-2010, 02:46 AM
Blood Red Lucario's Avatar
Blood Red Lucario Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Aboard Starship Enterprise
Posts: 473
Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Blood Red Lucario
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
No, flawed is a word which has been defined and is used to describe the situation of something. Greed is a concept, not just a word. You fail to see the point I was trying to make, and instead write stories defending how your logic, which I will once again state is flawed, makes sense. You have absolutely no argument.
The point you were trying to say from my understanding was that greed does not have one meaning because it is a concept. It makes my point flawed because as a concept greed can be interpreted as something that has to do with evil or something that has nothing to do with it.

My little story was to show that following your thinking, concepts are only what a person perceives them as and therefore have no value in any argument, gets no one anywhere.

Evil is another concept that is perceived differently between people. Does that mean that there is no definable evil because there is no universal meaning to it?

My logic comes from what Geoffrey said about greed leading to negative consequences. Evil deeds lead to negative consequences by punishment by peers or depending on a person's religious stance a very unappealing afterlife (if they even consider an afterlife exists). I'm not sure what you define as an evil action but most people would agree that evil is the desire to do or act of doing an action not liked by society because it hurts other members of said society. An agreed upon formal statement of meaning is a definition.

So since most agree that evil is I said it was would that not define the concept of evil? And if evil as a concept can be defined can greed not also be defined?
__________________

Absol Hatches: 27 Level 100: 312

All credit goes to Knightblazer
URPG
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-18-2010, 04:33 AM
Lord Celebi's Avatar
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 13,317
Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

PE2K Other: Discussion: Where we debate the definitions of words.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,469
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Lus, STFU. He's not using money in the sense of dollars or euros. He's taking money in the context of the quote "the love of money is the root of all evil" to mean "things of material value" which includes money, cars, food, gold, etc., where "the love of money" will then translate to "greed." The quote, then translated, becomes "greed is the root of all evil" which is what he argued (rather poorly but that's beside the point) up until you completely and utterly derailed the thread with a pointless discussion on the definition of words and, in my honest and frank opinion, completely shamed yourself in your position as a moderator, yet again, with your utter inability to recognize different points of view from yours in a philosophical context. Good job. Now shut up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exon Auxus
You can't just make a mass generalization like that. There is no way that every human is born with an innate want for more of anything. In fact, that only comes when someone is first introduced to something that they really like and want more of, like a kid who gets his first piece of candy. And even after that it would be such a fallacy to say that everyone is inherently "greedy". There is a difference between greed and want. Now everyone wants something in their life, of course, excluding babies who have not yet gained consciousness. But even they want something; they want to be picked up, changed, or they want food.

Greed is on an entirely different platform. A Webster's definition of greed is "an overwhelming desire to possess" generally speaking, "more wealth or goods than needed". This is more of an acquired trait, rather than something we're born with. I know plenty of people that are about as far away from greedy as you can get.
It isn't really an acquired trait, so much. I can say this from experience in dealing with them, even babies will want what they don't have regardless of need. Yes, they want food or a diaper change, but they also want the teddy bear you left lying on the counter even if they have another one right next to them. Why? Because they don't have it.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Exon Auxus's Avatar
Exon Auxus Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: No.
Posts: 6,079
Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Lus, STFU. He's not using money in the sense of dollars or euros. He's taking money in the context of the quote "the love of money is the root of all evil" to mean "things of material value" which includes money, cars, food, gold, etc., where "the love of money" will then translate to "greed." The quote, then translated, becomes "greed is the root of all evil" which is what he argued (rather poorly but that's beside the point) up until you completely and utterly derailed the thread with a pointless discussion on the definition of words and, in my honest and frank opinion, completely shamed yourself in your position as a moderator, yet again, with your utter inability to recognize different points of view from yours in a philosophical context. Good job. Now shut up.



It isn't really an acquired trait, so much. I can say this from experience in dealing with them, even babies will want what they don't have regardless of need. Yes, they want food or a diaper change, but they also want the teddy bear you left lying on the counter even if they have another one right next to them. Why? Because they don't have it.
Oh I think I see what you're saying now a little more clearly. It makes a bit more sense. But don't you think we shed that extremity of desire after a while? Sure babies want stuff they don't have, but when you're an adult with a popsicle and you see someone else with a popsicle, that doesn't make you just automatically want it right?(As you might if you were a baby).

...Or at least if you do want it you won't sit there and cry for twenty minutes until you get it.
__________________

Last edited by Exon Auxus; 12-18-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exon Auxus View Post
Oh I think I see what you're saying now a little more clearly. It makes a bit more sense. But don't you think we shed that extremity of desire after a while? Sure babies want stuff they don't have, but when you're an adult with a popsicle and you see someone else with a popsicle, that doesn't make you just automatically want it right?(As you might if you were a baby).

...Or at least if you do want it you won't sit there and cry for twenty minutes until you get it.
I know I do want those tasty lolipops, and instead of crying, I'll hide my lolipop and death glare the other guy until I get his.

Aside from that Blood Red Lucario started making sense only like 3 posts in, so can we forgive Lus?
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Ender the Xenocide's Avatar
Ender the Xenocide Offline
Amateur Trainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 56
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Material things are not the source of ALL evils done in the world. There are psychopaths who will simply kill a person (an evil) just to kill a person, the adrenaline rush if you will.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Exon Auxus's Avatar
Exon Auxus Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: No.
Posts: 6,079
Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Now that Lusankya's out of the way, we can continue a decent discussion. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender the Xenocide View Post
Material things are not the source of ALL evils done in the world. There are psychopaths who will simply kill a person (an evil) just to kill a person, the adrenaline rush if you will.
I think so too, given that there exist many evils that couldn't have less to do with money. When someone lies it can be considered an evil, but most of the time a lot of people lie just because they have a fear of getting caught doing whatever they were doing. I don't think there's any relation to money there.

Now if someone's robbing a bank...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-20-2010, 05:16 AM
bbecham's Avatar
bbecham Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 24
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

in reality its 99% true because we can see all around the whole world is just running behind this no one is actually thinking about the problems of an ordinary man. all have forget the humanity. people are killing the relations for the sake of money. its really the root of damn evil.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-20-2010, 05:16 AM
Starkipraggy's Avatar
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gundam Porygon ZZ
Posts: 3,151
Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exon Auxus View Post
Now that Lusankya's out of the way, we can continue a decent discussion. :D



I think so too, given that there exist many evils that couldn't have less to do with money. When someone lies it can be considered an evil, but most of the time a lot of people lie just because they have a fear of getting caught doing whatever they were doing. I don't think there's any relation to money there.

Now if someone's robbing a bank...
You could be lying so that you don't get found out for stealing cookies from the cookie jar/stealing $ from your mum, so that's kind of a relation to money/value.

Money is the root of the majority of evil I suppose. A lot of things can be linked back to money, and the few that don't will then consist of the minority.
__________________


Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Grimowl's Avatar
Grimowl Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 17
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

I don't believe in evil, I believe in greed as the definition of evil(greed as the lust of having more and being above others), but for sake of the saying:

Greed is the root of evil. Money did nothing but simplify being greedy.(and trading, yes).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Ceromax's Avatar
Ceromax Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Bark
Posts: 154
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

Thats just a figure of speech, its said because today People Will do so many bad things for money. Robbing a store thats evil, They are robbing the store for money therefore Money Caused an evil act. thats what i always thought about this saying anyway
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Peace Buyer's Avatar
Peace Buyer Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aboard the USG Ishimura
Posts: 2,172
Send a message via Yahoo to Peace Buyer
Default Re: Is money truley the root of all Evil?

It all depends on what you do with your money, how you obtain your money, and how far will you go with your money.

Yeah money can do alot of of things, mainly pleasurable things such as buying you games or buying you food. But to honor it, most people save it up or if they use it for nufarical purposses like dishonorable things as in prostitues or buying some weapons or nuclear warfare...Most ways to obtain this money include things such as working for it, or stealling, doing evil deeds, killing the rich, destroying the poor, most of the time is wrong doing, but alot of people do the right thing to obtain thier money.How far you would go just to get that money is probably one of the most important parts. Some would go as far as shaming their family name, or actually leave a blood mark on society.

Either way, Alot of evil things have happened to it.. I wouldn't blame people for thinking that money is the most terrible source of evil... But over all, if you treat it the right way, then its not really a evil thing...

~ Peace
__________________
The following was too over rated for your viewing
♥Paired up with the Epic Angel_DeArc♥
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com