Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 AM
NES2 Offline

Default A Day in the Life of A Koopa [PG]

NOTE: This story is a test and actually the first serious work I'll be submitting. Depending on reviews I might right more chapters or end it, but consider this a one-shot prologue for now. I hope you enjoy this story, and if all goes well it should get decent reviews.

NOTE: I do not own nor claim any characters mentioned in this fanfiction. Mario, Bowser, Goombas and Koopas are all the property of Nintendo Corporation and I in no way wish to infringe on their copyright. This is solely a fan-made work.

A Day in the Life of A Koopa
A Mario Fanfiction Comedy

Prologue
"BEEP. BEEP. BEEP."

That was the first thing I heard that morning. Awakening to the electronic sound of the my bedside clock, I rubbed my eyes before sitting up in my bed. Hitting the snooze button, I threw of the soft white linens and walked over to the window. Looking out of it I saw that as usual, the sun wasn't out. If you were surprised that I said it was the usual, then I should probably explain why this is so.

See, I live in a castle. Bowser's Castle, to be exact. You should probably have figured it out by now. No? Well, let me give you a few hints. I'm a yellow reptile with a green shell, my kind get's stepped on A LOT, and our life insurance policies cover death by plumber. If you haven't guessed it by now, you probably have been living in a cave.

I'm a Koopa named Philip. A lackey, a minion, whatever you may call us, I'm one of them. As a barely paid member of Bowser's Armed Forces*, I wake up everyday and wait to die. That's right, that's all we can do. You may be asking why I put up with this, but I shall explain later.

Anyways, now you know why it's normal for the sun to never be out here. Bowser's Castle is scenically placed in the middle of a wasteland covered by lava flows, volcanic ash, and barren earth. Bowser somehow thinks that the whole setup is "intimidating" and "deadly", I just think it's pointless for two reasons. One, the lack of sunlight is absolutely depressing, and two, because nothing can stop Mario. I repeat, nothing. I mean, if you actually capture the princess and flee to another galaxy entirely and you still get your shell handed to you, clearly there is nothing you can do to stop the guy.

Anyways, as I was talking to you the reader**, I was also preparing for my day, or should I say perpetual darkness. I took a shower, made my bed, picked out a tie and shell, and of course, brushed my beak (In case you haven't noticed, we don't have teeth). Checking myself in the mirror one more time, I prepared to leave my room for work.

Now, before I continue I should elaborate on what my room looks like. It's pretty empty since I spend most of my time out on the field (or in a cave, tower, giant bouncy mushrooms, or the sky). I have a side table next to my bed which has my clock on it (it's entirely black with red glowing numbers), a map of the Mushroom Kingdom hanging on the wall, a bathroom with a shower and a running toilet, and a television. The walls are made of dark grey bricks (remember, we are in a castle), and the floor is carpeted red. That's pretty much my apartment in a nutshell.

Now continuing onto what I do at work, my entire job is basically being assigned to different worlds, doing patrols completely unprotected, and praying to the Giant Goomba in the Sky that Mario doesn't decide to crush my shell. It's frankly a very scary and unproductive job, but you get used to it after awhile. After all, there isn't much you can do as a Koopa. A few of us can sometimes break into the world of sports, but otherwise we are confined to the unsavory work of serving under Bowser.

If you want to understand why Bowser is such a pain to work under, simply pull out any Mario platformer and proceed to play it. As you can see, we do nothing but walk back and forth. We can't run away, attack, or plead for our lives. These are the rules we live by, and it's a nightmare. What's worse is that you have to watch every single person you love as a friend get beaten to a pulp, have their shells ripped off (it's a dishonor for a Koopa to lose his shell, a matter of pride really. It doesn't help that Mario kicks them around either), and of course, see the assailant hop along as if nothing happened.

That's another thing about being a Koopa. Everybody assumes that just because we work for Bowser that we are heartless, soulless monsters with no purpose, goals, dreams, or reason to exist. That is not the case. Believe it or not, we feel every single bone being crushed as you hop on us. Some of us have families and children, and many of us don't necessarily like working for Bowser. It's not like we have a real choice anyhow, so it's completely unfair that we have to suffer for Bowser's stupidity and Mario's unquenchable love for the Princess that's in another castle entirely.

Well, I want to change that. I don't know how or when, but I want to do something different. This lifestyle isn't meant for me, and I have to make a change. It will be a difficult journey, but I have to start somehow. I know there are big things in store for me. Today is a new day for me, and little by little I'll try to beat the odds. Someday, things will be different for me, and maybe, just maybe, I'll make a difference in World 8. My name is Philip the Koopa, and this is my life.

*Actually correction, we aren't armed unless you count those Bullet Bill cannons as weapons.
**One thing you should learn about this story is that THERE IS NO FOURTH WALL. If you've played Super Paper Mario for the Wii, you know what I mean.

Last edited by NES2; 12-11-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Certain corrections, etc.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:41 PM
akaichi Offline

Send a message via MSN to akaichi Send a message via Yahoo to akaichi Send a message via Skype™ to akaichi
Default Re: A Day in the Life of A Koopa [PG]

I LOVE this. I don't see any problem with it really. I like the depth, I like how you can sort of RELATE to the dude. It's very well laid out, not jumbled like mine. :D
95% of teens would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers at the top of a skyscraper about to jump. Copy and paste this if you are part of the 5% that would sit there with popcorn and a camera and yell "DO A FLIP!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Doodlebop Offline

'It's not like we have a real choice anyhow, so it's completely unfair that we have to suffer for Bowser's stupidity and Mario's unquenchable love for the Princess that's in another castle entirely.'

BEST. LINE. EVER. Please keep writing. This made me laugh so much.

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 12-16-2010, 09:33 PM
NES2 Offline

OK, so just a little announcement here. As of today I have decided to go forward with writing further about the adventures of Philip. I hope by Jan. 1st to have the first actual chapter started. In the meantime however, I'll be writing a slightly-related Christmas spin-off that will act as a separate one-shot story. I won't spoil anything else about the story other than that.

P.S. Right now this story should only be on this site. I don't think anyone would steal, but who knows...

EDIT: Bowser's Christmas is now out. If you like this story, I would go ahead and read that one. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by NES2; 12-17-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
NES2 Offline

OK, I have an announcement to make.

Just so the very small group of people watching this thread are aware, I'm going to finally start on that chapter I promised I would begin in January. I'm sorry I've been inactive for a bit, but I'm ready to start typing up a new chapter. Hopefully I'll finish it by the week's end, but if not just be content with the fact that I acknowledge you guys still exist.

So for now, goodbye.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Yay, good luck!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:18 PM
NES2 Offline

Chapter 1
Day 365

OK, i'm pretty sure that anyone who has worked a day in their lives knows what it's like to have a d**k boss who is constantly putting you down. You know, the one that sneers at you, spills coffee on your new suit, and knows how to push all the right buttons. I have one of those, and his name is Gerald. He is the Hammer Bros. in charge of my division, and I absolutely hate the guy.

He's pretty much like Bowser miniaturized and given a hammer, because he practically ADORES the Koopa King. He uses all of his sayings, tactics, and punchlines. Furthermore, he's a TOTAL MEATHEAD, no brain whatsoever. Naturally, this is the guy left in charge of STRATEGY by Bowser. Sure enough, today he was waiting by the extremely outdated punchclock-machine we used and ready to hurl his daily insult.

"Phil, haul some shell and get busy. We're heading to the Mushroom Kingdom to steal the Pri-, oh wait, she's already here!", Gerald scolded before breaking into self-laughter at his own terrible joke. As I punched the card that made me feel no different from the thousands of other Koopa working here, I could already feel the staleness kicking in. That feeling that it's going to be a long day filled with the usual.

Carrying myself to the airship with what little dignity I had left, I contemplated on my life at this moment. Believe it or not, this day marks one full year of working for Bowser, one full year that I haven't died in the field. I might be pushing my luck, but I've faired pretty well compared to the unlucky souls that leave us on the first day. I've made a few friends, had a few moments of amusement, but nothing really important has happened to me. I yearn for something more, but as a Koopa I'm supposed to expect less. Today though, I have a feeling something will happen, something bigger than usual.

"Maybe my romantic life will pick up?", I thought to myself as I walked to the airship. As far as this year is concerned there hasn't really been much of one for me, except for one date I had with a Red Shelled Koopette on Christmas that never went anywhere, but after that the love aspect of my life faded away. It's not that I'm really desperate right now either, but I wouldn't mind a bit more passion to my dismal life.

"Philip, hey down here!", came a voice from below, interrupting my inner monologue. Looking down, I saw it was my Goomba friend and coworker Pete.

"Oh hey Pete. We on the same airship this time? Mine's the B.S.Thunderclaw", I asked him, trying to make the name of the ship sound less lame than it already was. Bowser after all wasn't exactly a brilliant leader or even a decent namer. The ironic part was how the ship prefix spelled B.S., exactly what most of the names were.

"Nope, I'm on the B.S. Demonwing. It‘s a patrol mission in World 7", replied Pete, with slight disappointment. Pete and I were what we liked to call "boat-buddies", and I couldn't tolerate Princess Raids without him. He sort of balanced me actually, the optimist to my pessimist. This is ironic since he's the one lacking the arms.

"Well, have a safe trip", I told my friend Pete.

"No, I should be wishing you that. Your ship's captain is Bowser Jr. after all", Pete replied as he walked away, giving me crucial information in a casual manner. That's right, I got the airship with a whiny, father adoring, absolutely ANNOYING brat of a Koopa. Let the good times roll…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Adjust the mast! Plot a course for the castle! Get me my milk!", barked the tiny captain of our airship as I began my personal hellish nightmare shift. Nobody liked working for Jr., not even Gerald. He constantly whined and shrieked much to the detriment of our tiny and non-visible ear-holes, and a swore to myself I would go overboard if this went on. I myself was high up in the crow's nest, watching the horizon for the Princess's Castle and trying to not listen to the noise going on below. We were still over World 4, but soon we would reach the castle.

You would think the workers of an airship would get some cool looking pirate gear, but we didn't even have that to make the pain bearable. As I gazed tiredly into my periscope towards the horizon, I wondered why Peach never moved. I mean, if your castle constantly get raided by a horde of turtle soldiers, it’s princess kidnapped by their king, and a couple of plumbers have to get her back nearly every week, you would think a move would be in order. But no, she stays in her castle, oblivious to common sense and reason. Either that or the Princess is a real masochist, which wouldn’t surprise me. Kidnapping Princesses in giant flying boats has become normal for me too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a brief skirmish in which the castle was bombed and the Princess stolen, we had begun heading back towards Bowser’s Castle with our prize, a frilly pink cladden golden blonde with the supposed grace of a canary and the brains of a pigeon. After all, beauty and brains is a rare thing to have in a person, so most of the time you have one or the other in extremes.

I was placed in charge of guarding the cage thanks to Gerald, who as I say again wants nothing more than my total annihilation, and I as walked back and forth across the front of the cage I got to listen to the wonderful logic of our dear Princess.

“Let me out! I am a Princess, royalty of the Mushroom Kingdom! This is an outrage! These steel bars are uncomfortable!”, moaned the Princess in a tiring rant that was actually worse listening to than Bowser Jr. The shrill and obnoxious high pitch voice didn’t help either. As the rambling went on and my shift seemed to get longer and longer, my frustration began to grow. Finally, at the end of my rope and annoyed beyond sanity, I snapped back at our captive.

“WILL YOU SHUT UP ALREADY! KOOPA CHRIST YOU DRIVE ME MAD! YOU ARE A PRISONER, NOT OUR ESTEEMED GUEST, NOW SHUT UP AND GET OVER IT! WE’LL BE IN THE CASTLE IN AN HOUR AND YOU CAN MOAN ABOUT HOW TERRIBLE YOUR LIFE IS THERE!”, I screamed at the Princess, who closed her mouth and stared with an almost dumb look in her eyes at me. I honestly contemplated lifting the cage with the crane and letting it drop overboard, giving me the satisfaction of ending the cycle forever at the cost of my job. Eventually reason won me over however, and I decided it wasn’t in my best interests to do that.

“Hmph!”, was her response, turning the other cheek and shutting her eyes in with pout. Deciding that this pouting was better than the obnoxious chatter, I sighed with a relief that had come too soon.

“Mario’s on board, Mario’s on board! Get to your stations and prepare for combat!”, came the voice of a Kamek below, throwing the ship and my heart into a frenzy. Murphy’s Law had never felt so real.

Last edited by NES2; 02-26-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Pokol DaErran Offline

I'm quite liking the feel of this so far; it strikes the perfect balance between believable and amusing. Definitely looking forward to more~

Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 PM
NES2 Offline

For those of you still following, take note of this.

Since I'm writing a story for Dreamcraft this month, I probably won't update THIS until May. That's all.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 PM
akaichi Offline

Send a message via MSN to akaichi Send a message via Yahoo to akaichi Send a message via Skype™ to akaichi

Awwwz. I was so ready to read tooooo!
95% of teens would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers at the top of a skyscraper about to jump. Copy and paste this if you are part of the 5% that would sit there with popcorn and a camera and yell "DO A FLIP!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

I'll keep this bumped up for you mate!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 PM
akaichi Offline

Me too.