Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 01-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default SimCity 3000: Biggest City Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracked.com
Vincent Ocasla has beaten Sim City 3000. For those of you saying, "So what? He beat a video game," you should know that beating Sim City is like finishing Pac-Man or arguing with your wife -- there is no actual "win" condition. Or so the creators thought, but they didn't count on Ocasla's unsettling obsession. He created a flawless, fully functional Sim City of roughly six million residents, and it only took him four years. Those aren't "in-game years" either -- those are actual real years of his life: 1.5 years of theory and planning, and 2.5 years of construction (read: clicking on water pipes and power lines while he slowly forgets what it is to experience human love). Though the object of this particular obsession is utterly harmless, the existential dread starts to kick in after you view his video.

The amount of sheer calculation and planning that has gone into this city is beyond any harmless hobby. While we were going about our daily routines, Ocasla was planning. While we were laughing, struggling and just getting by, Ocasla was planning. While we were making love and arguing and growing old together, Ocasla was planning -- planning his ruthlessly efficient, totalitarian dream-state. The ominous Latin names and sinister music in the video don't do anything to convince us he's not the next Borg overlord, either. And then there are his words. When asked about the fact that in his city, the average life of a citizen lasted only 50 years, he stated: "Health of the Sims was not a priority, relative to the main objective."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJQTc-TqpU

No cheats, just ruthless totalitarian planning for the largest possible population size in SimCity 3000. No roads, utilities come from neighbor deals, 19^2 modules delivering the maximum possible efficient use of space. 4 years of work.

Mind = blown

Quote:
Precisely that. Technically, no one is leaving or coming into the city. Population growth is stagnant. Sims don’t need to travel long distances, because their workplace is just within walking distance. In fact they do not even need to leave their own block. Wherever they go it’s like going to the same place. There are a lot of other problems in the city hidden under the illusion of order and greatness: Suffocating air pollution, high unemployment, no fire stations, schools, or hospitals, a regimented lifestyle - this is the price that these sims pay for living in the city with the highest population. It’s a sick and twisted goal to strive towards. The ironic thing about it is the sims in Magnasanti tolerate it. They don’t rebel, or cause revolutions and social chaos. No one considers challenging the system by physical means since a hyper-efficient police state keeps them in line. They have all been successfully dumbed down, sickened with poor health, enslaved and mind-controlled just enough to keep this system going for thousands of years. 50,000 years to be exact. They are all imprisoned in space and time.
I used to play SimCity. A lot. And this thing terrified me. Maybe it was just the music, or the creepy Latin lettering. Or the knowledge that this guy would make an excellent evil overlord.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 01-08-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 PM
NES2 Offline

Default Re: SimCity 3000: Biggest City Possible

Holy. Cow.

I used to play Simcity, and I thought I had finally created my "win" city. But this guy, this guy is insane.

Yeah, the 50 year lifespan and totalitarian state have me worrying this guy is Big Brother. Of course it's a simulation and only somewhat accurate, but if this guy was in charge of a city... oh god, I can't imagine. I'm pretty sure that if Nox were going to build their own "utopia" in the desert, it would be just like this.

I didn't help that the video was so damn ominous. Plus the clown. I hate clowns.