Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Trent Reznor Offline

Send a message via AIM to Trent Reznor Send a message via MSN to Trent Reznor Send a message via Skype™ to Trent Reznor
Default Thread Reviving

Too many times, people revive threads. Thread revival is annoying and it never seems to stop. I'm not trying to tell moderators to "search the whole forum for recent thread revivals." I'm only suggesting to be stricter from the beginning - make the rules more specific. The actual rules post is only 572 words long, much shorter than the average. The whole section regarding thread revival is only 15 words long.

Obviously, the rules are cutting corners. "No reviving old threads. Ask a Moderator first before posting in an old thread" is NOT going to work in this lifetime. Being specific is the key, and that's not happening there. So, to sum it up, the rules might need a makeover to stop that. New members wouldn't really care if there's nothing specific about the punishment or the description. Thank you for reading.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Rival Silver Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: Thread Reviving

$5 says that most thread revivers never READ THE RULES. And the other 50% of thread revivers are Spam Bots.

<--- Credit to Doodlebop|Credit to Temporal Snake
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative

honestly, no one reads the rules. i know people form 2007/6 and even '05 that still haven't read the rules fully.

besides, they're more likely to read the rules than someone that just joined will be. chances are, that's not going to stop someone from reviving an old thread.

thread revival isn't that big of a deal. it's usually only threads that are 2-3 months old, and they usually get past the mods anyways, cos it's not that big of a deal. unless it were a thread that were 1 year+++++ old or something of the like, the mods really don't make that big of a fuss over it. it's very easy to spot, as well since a lot of old members are no longer active.

|thedynamicduo|
Old 12-05-2010, 06:58 PM
miyoun Offline

Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun

necroposting is after a month from the last post, but if it's a sticky WHO CARES? (das kinda the point of them)
if its 100% a reply to the thread itself like a discussion or an art thread and you're updating, i see no problem with that either.

&i'm from 05 and i admit (sorry mods+ryan wherever he may be) i have NOT read the rules properly.

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm
Old 12-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

If I had it my way, I'd make the rules so good and funny that you'd actually want to read them and you'd remember them and crack up every time you thought of them.

From what I can see, Ryan really intended the rules to be more hit and run, not really spend a whole hour writing extensive legalities on how to behave here. Some forums have a truckload of rules, and one site I know of forces you to even take a test on how well you know the rules before your account can be created. To me, that's pretty extreme. The truth is, I think the rules are pretty archaic.

In terms of thread reviving, sticky threads can be revived at any time. Non-sticky threads are usually considered dead if the last poster made their post over one month ago. Generally, I've been a little more lax on this rule, especially if the thread's subject matter is still applicable and can still be talked about. For example, if someone were to revive a debate on abortion in the Other Discussion thread, and the post was actually well-written, informative, and provided a good argument in response to those past posts, I probably wouldn't lock it, even though making a whole new thread would have been better. However, if someone were to revive a long-dead topic on Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, such as the Mew rumor or whatever, and just put something useless as "I think its good" or just an opinionated response, that to me is a kill on sight.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe

Maybe look into a vB plug-in that automatically locks non-sticky threads in certain sections after 31 days or something? I'd be surprised if a plug-in like that didn't exist.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

I've been here since 05 and I've never read the rules. They're just common sense.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Trent Reznor Offline

Send a message via AIM to Trent Reznor Send a message via MSN to Trent Reznor Send a message via Skype™ to Trent Reznor

Bold is my comments.

1. Use Sentences (Capitalizations & Periods).
You can use sentences and still be inappropriate.
2. No Inappropriate Behavior/Junk Posts (spam).
Okay, this works.
3. Respect other members and their opinions.
What's the difference of disrespecting and disagreeing?
Note: Inappropriate behavior and junk posts may lead to ban. I have little patience for this kind of behavior.
Apparently, since you're usually inactive, you wouldn't see it much either way.
4. No double posting (making multiple posts in a row). Just edit the first post with the new information. Exceptions are fan fics and art galleries.
How about triple posting?
5. No illegal material allowed (Roms, Emulators, copyrighted materials, etc.)
etc.? ETC.??? That doesn't work for some noobs.
6. This is a Pokemon forum for all ages, make your posts reflect that.
okey dis reflects dat.
7. No reviving old threads. Ask a Moderator first before posting in an old thread.
-

Twin: Eternal Moonlight | Sister: Scourge of Amaranth | Pair: Doodlebop
Theme by Mizuki Emi
Old 12-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Traxx Offline
Experienced Trainer

A lot of people just want their question to be answered when they revive threads....I'm not saying this is anyone's fault, but if people get to the threads sooner, there might not as many revives of threads....

I still ultimately agree with Yo Face Here, but I think we can help with the problem.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Trent Reznor Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
A lot of people just want their question to be answered when they revive threads....I'm not saying this is anyone's fault, but if people get to the threads sooner, there might not as many revives of threads....

I still ultimately agree with Yo Face Here, but I think we can help with the problem.
But what I truly mean isn't the poster reviving the thread - I mean somebody else reviving it. That's what really annoys me.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 PM
miyoun Offline

Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Face Here View Post
Bold is my comments.

1. Use Sentences (Capitalizations & Periods).
You can use sentences and still be inappropriate.
2. No Inappropriate Behavior/Junk Posts (spam).
Okay, this works.
3. Respect other members and their opinions.
What's the difference of disrespecting and disagreeing?
Note: Inappropriate behavior and junk posts may lead to ban. I have little patience for this kind of behavior.
Apparently, since you're usually inactive, you wouldn't see it much either way.
4. No double posting (making multiple posts in a row). Just edit the first post with the new information. Exceptions are fan fics and art galleries.
How about triple posting?
5. No illegal material allowed (Roms, Emulators, copyrighted materials, etc.)
etc.? ETC.??? That doesn't work for some noobs.
6. This is a Pokemon forum for all ages, make your posts reflect that.
okey dis reflects dat.
7. No reviving old threads. Ask a Moderator first before posting in an old thread.
-
You're just nitpicking now.

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm
Old 12-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Trent Reznor Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiume View Post
You're just nitpicking now.
Same thing goes for you.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:51 PM
ashkelon Offline
Elite Trainer

Coming from mostly technical boards, I have a different take on "reviving" old threads -- If a person is adding something of value, or if a thread tends to cyclically rest for a couple months and then have a flurry of activity, what does that hurt?

If we are free to continue to add new information or valid content to older threads, then it keeps the information about a topic organized in a single thread. You don't have to search through 50 threads to see how something developed.

Threads on mechanics, breeding or EV training might be examples of discussions where it could be legit to add to or ask a question in an older thread.

And there are those threads (everybody knows them) that rest for a couple months until found by a new person who thinks they are fun or funny. They post, there is a flurry of counter posts by people who've never seen the thread before -- I mean -- be NICE, we want new people don't we? And to have them enjoy themselves?

An example of that would be the "dumb looking pokemon following you around" thread. I'd never seen it until someone posted in it. It was funny to read and I would have posted to it had it not been locked. This kind of thread doesn't really hurt anyone, does it? So what if it's revived? It will die and sink.

I'm not saying the mew thread needs to be revived. Or that any thread, new or old, needs to have "LOL WUT" as a legitimate post. Those things are stupid no matter HOW OLD the thread is.

I'm saying that setting a nit picking anal model is probably not in the best interest of the board.

I'll follow the rules. I've been here awhile.

But I don't like mini-mods. NOBODY DOES. Let the mods we have take care of it. And don't be strung up too tight about a freakin' thread date!

Since you're here -- it's likely you can read -- and if you can read, you can tell from a thread header if it looks interesting or not.

If you don't want to read it -- don't -- no one forces you to -- skip it and read something else.

There is a point where too much modding discourages people from joining or posting. Given the length of time this place has been active, I think it's struck a good balance.

Mods have smarter things to do than sit and count the number of days old a thread is -- especially if it's actually getting traffic that's not fighting.

IMO, of course.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM
paperfairy Offline

Send a message via AIM to paperfairy Send a message via Skype™ to paperfairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
Coming from mostly technical boards, I have a different take on "reviving" old threads -- If a person is adding something of value, or if a thread tends to cyclically rest for a couple months and then have a flurry of activity, what does that hurt?

If we are free to continue to add new information or valid content to older threads, then it keeps the information about a topic organized in a single thread. You don't have to search through 50 threads to see how something developed.

Threads on mechanics, breeding or EV training might be examples of discussions where it could be legit to add to or ask a question in an older thread.

And there are those threads (everybody knows them) that rest for a couple months until found by a new person who thinks they are fun or funny. They post, there is a flurry of counter posts by people who've never seen the thread before -- I mean -- be NICE, we want new people don't we? And to have them enjoy themselves?

An example of that would be the "dumb looking pokemon following you around" thread. I'd never seen it until someone posted in it. It was funny to read and I would have posted to it had it not been locked. This kind of thread doesn't really hurt anyone, does it? So what if it's revived? It will die and sink.

I'm not saying the mew thread needs to be revived. Or that any thread, new or old, needs to have "LOL WUT" as a legitimate post. Those things are stupid no matter HOW OLD the thread is.

I'm saying that setting a nit picking anal model is probably not in the best interest of the board.

I'll follow the rules. I've been here awhile.

But I don't like mini-mods. NOBODY DOES. Let the mods we have take care of it. And don't be strung up too tight about a freakin' thread date!

Since you're here -- it's likely you can read -- and if you can read, you can tell from a thread header if it looks interesting or not.

If you don't want to read it -- don't -- no one forces you to -- skip it and read something else.

There is a point where too much modding discourages people from joining or posting. Given the length of time this place has been active, I think it's struck a good balance.

Mods have smarter things to do than sit and count the number of days old a thread is -- especially if it's actually getting traffic that's not fighting.

IMO, of course.
quoted for truth. I was just talking to RM the other day about this, but having a rule against thread necromancy, if it generates meaningful discussion, is just silly. It isn't always a bad thing... I just don't agree with the idea that because it's old, it's no longer relevant.

Will always find their kind.
ASBL | twins with Jenn <3
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Teo Offline

Send a message via AIM to Teo Send a message via MSN to Teo

It's really not that big of a deal as you're making it out to be. The general rule of thumb is if it's more than a month old and is revived it generally gets locked. It also comes down to which mod handles the given thread. Some may just lock it while others may leave it open because it contributes to the topic. If anything it seems that it just annoys you personally and rather nitpick things because they aren't up to your own personal standards or other forums standards.

If anything keeping things simple and to the point have always worked best for our community. So everything just comes down to basic common sense as it were.