Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle
Default Re: Isshu English Names Revealed

Yeah I am not much of a fan of these new names. I see what they were doing for Snivy and a bit of Tepig. I figure they were going to fit pig in there somewhere and I am guessing boar is going to be used for the other evolutions.

The explanation that Tsujin and Blue Jello mention I can see happening. This region isn't based on anything from Japan so it would make sense that a new name has to be made. If what I looked up is correct, Isshu is derive from isshurui, "one variety". Seeing that this is a new beginning then Unova, "New Unity" fits as an English equivalent.

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 PM
TeirusuFX Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to TeirusuFX Send a message via Yahoo to TeirusuFX Send a message via Skype™ to TeirusuFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebop View Post
Snivy? As in... you know....

Snively? *collapses into hysterics*
That is exactly what I thought when I first saw Tsujin's English name.

Although, I fail to see the likeness in these names, of course, that's what I thought for Gen IV too, but alas I ended up getting used to them in the end. But still, aside from these three, I can't wait to see how they butcher the other Pokemon's names in the end.

And seriously, Unova doesn't really fit that name of a region I feel is somewhat spiritually based off China, but whatever, it's their idiocy, not mine.

Ah! Aya-chan! Aya-chan genki?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:58 AM
NES2 Offline

Snivy. Really? EVERYONE IN THE U.S. WAS CALLING IT SMUGLEAF, AND YOU CALL IT SNIVY? WHAT KIND OF NAME IS THAT?

*tries to calm self*

That's it. I'm done. Nintendo had one final chance of me buying this game by giving the grass pokemon the name people wanted it to have, the name TEH WHOLE INTERNET used, and they toss that and come up with Snivy.

That is fail. The worst part is I'll probably go back on my word, end up playing the game, and still LOVING IT... if only Black and White hadn't brought on so many problems, the moment might not have been as bittersweet. Nintendo, as much as I love their games, has to learn how to treat their fan base. I mean this isn't the only time this has happened. MOTHER 3 fans waited so long for an English translation of the game that they finally gave up and made their own. And for some unbelievable reason, they put the MAIN CHARACTER of this game in the U.S. version of Brawl, which is just IRONY, since the actual game for this character WAS NEVER RELEASED IN THE US.

*calms self again*

In conclusion, my relationship with Nintendo is a love/hate situation. I love their games and their innovative ideas, but the way they blow-off fans is appalling.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NES2 View Post
Snivy. Really? EVERYONE IN THE U.S. WAS CALLING IT SMUGLEAF, AND YOU CALL IT SNIVY? WHAT KIND OF NAME IS THAT?

*tries to calm self*

That's it. I'm done. Nintendo had one final chance of me buying this game by giving the grass pokemon the name people wanted it to have, the name TEH WHOLE INTERNET used, and they toss that and come up with Snivy.

That is fail. The worst part is I'll probably go back on my word, end up playing the game, and still LOVING IT... if only Black and White hadn't brought on so many problems, the moment might not have been as bittersweet. Nintendo, as much as I love their games, has to learn how to treat their fan base. I mean this isn't the only time this has happened. MOTHER 3 fans waited so long for an English translation of the game that they finally gave up and made their own. And for some unbelievable reason, they put the MAIN CHARACTER of this game in the U.S. version of Brawl, which is just IRONY, since the actual game for this character WAS NEVER RELEASED IN THE US.

*calms self again*

In conclusion, my relationship with Nintendo is a love/hate situation. I love their games and their innovative ideas, but the way they blow-off fans is appalling.
It's likely that they had the English name decided way before it was given that nickname. :/ Dude, it's a game. Who cares what they're called; the game is still the same.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:44 AM
NES2 Offline

I know, but I was kind of expecting that Nintendo would bow in to that name just for the fans. Sure, the game is still the same, and like I said I'll still probably love it, but Nintendo's translators chucking the awesome fan name for their own generically bland name is lame. We were all calling it Smugleaf anyways, but now they expect us to brain bleach the name out and replace it with Snivy.

Ugh, Snivy. Just the sound of it is lame. I wish we could go back to when the game was announced, to when their was no copyright arguments and Smugleaf was a meme. Ah, those were the days.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebop View Post
Gigglesnort.

Snivy? As in... you know....

Snively? *collapses into hysterics*

I... have too much free time...
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but since it's out... XD Actually, I posted that exact same picture in another thread. I was seriously giggling for about ten minutes when I saw that name yesterday and I couldn't help but facepalm. They even look alike. ^^'
Old 11-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_pop View Post
Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but since it's out... XD Actually, I posted that exact same picture in another thread. I was seriously giggling for about ten minutes when I saw that name yesterday and I couldn't help but facepalm. They even look alike. ^^'
Yeah. I was trying to figure out how to say it and I was saying that word as well. I wanted to mention it in the article but thought best not. haha

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Snivy actually FITS Tsutarja... like a glove. Ivy makes me think of grass, then the Sn makes me think of sneer. It works!

Tepig is just all-out stupid. Let's hope his evolutions have better names...

Oshawott, I really like. It just seems to really fit Mijumaru, dunno why.

And I would have loved to stay with Isshu, rather than Unova, but I'm fine with Unova. However, I'll always call Isshu Isshu.

Spoiler:
Old 11-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

... What the?

These names suck. I much prefer the Japanese versions.

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 11-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Disco Offline

At the risk of looking like spam, I will post this AGAIN- it's related LOL.

That pretty much sums up everything. o u o
NEVERTHELESS!
... Oshawott is the name I like the best.
Because Mijumaru/Oshawott is, well, the best thing ever. Clearly.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_pop View Post
Yeah, that's where I saw it. But it was too funny not to post. xD

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 PM
pokéfan123 Offline
Experienced Trainer

i kinda like snivy but im still calling it Smugleaf... Oshawott is a very good name... Tepig doesn't fit pokabu...
Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 PM
brandon_g Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to brandon_g Send a message via Skype™ to brandon_g

my freind told me there was a new black/white pokemon game I did not believe him all well.

SO PLEASE STAY AT WHATEVER FORUM YOU RELOCATED TO, BUT BE WITH PE2K AS WELL!
Old 11-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Celebi View Post
It's likely that they had the English name decided way before it was given that nickname. :/ Dude, it's a game. Who cares what they're called; the game is still the same.
best post around here.

Pokérus Empire
Old 11-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

I find the people BAWing over the names hilarious because they're going to end up eventually using them without a second thought, the fan nicknames lost to memory. How do I know this? Because it happened with Gen IV too.