Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » First & Second Generations

First & Second Generations Discuss the first and second generation games: Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Default Do You Rememer The Feeling....

Red/Blue/Yellow were amazing games for a couple of reasons, but one that stands out was the surprise factor. In Red/Blue I had no idea what to expect. The game was packed with pokemon I had never seen. Each new area introduced me to a new pokemon I knew nothing about. I think I lost that feeling with the later gens because, the pdex was released before the game. For some of you it was Gold/Silver/Crystal, can you describe what stands out about your first time running through the game not knowing what was out there? What else stands out ?

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 09-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Default Re: Do You Rememer The Feeling....

I still remember the exact day that I finally convinced my parents to buy me a gameboy and Red version haha. I had been on them for months and they finally agreed once I had convinced my dad that I would get a lot of use out of it (Listen dad, there's even THREE difficulty levels because there's THREE different starters. And the easiest one is Bulbasaur and even when I finish the game I can go back and start a whole new game with Squirtle and then Charmander!). He probably had no idea what I was talking about. xD

Anyway, I remember getting the game out in the car on the way home, fumbling with the batteries and switching it on. I'd played a friend's game before (which was why I wanted it so badly), but never from the beginning. I loved exploring, finding all these random creatures and having no idea what I was doing.

I stilll remember reaching Cerulean City for the first time and seeing the bridge heading north and the other paths heading east and south and thinking I can't believe I have so much choice and there's so much to do! For some reason the excitement of that exact moment has always stayed with me. (Even thinking about it right now makes me so happy and inspired *runs off to work on W-Fi league* xD)

Last edited by Pokemon Trainer Sarah; 09-09-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:26 AM
mintjelly Offline
Father Cat

Send a message via AIM to mintjelly Send a message via Skype™ to mintjelly

I remember when I finally saved up my money and was able to afford a Gameboy and Blue version (my parents didn't buy me a GB, but they got one for my younger brother >.>).
By that time, the anime was in the Orange Islands, but it was still so amazing to see the differences between the game and the anime.

Shun the non-believer
Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 AM
Zetsu Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Zetsu

I remember that feeling of spending hours upon hours in the Safaari Zone trying to catch a Scyther and Khangaskhan. I swear i wasted about $20-$30 in batteries and stayed up till about 12am lookin for em both xD

Also, The Elite Four. First time playing pokemon and i ended up with all my pokemon at lvl 37 lol.

Except for Charizard (I was obsessed with him!) He was lvl 87. smashed most of the Elite Four with just him alone lol.

WFL Dream Team.

Last edited by Zetsu; 10-28-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:47 PM
goldwynaut Offline

i had pokemon red, but i was too young to understand what was going on, for me, being able to explore new areas was entertaining enough, i didnt actually care about the pokemon. but it was cool then a thought looking pokemon appeared and i was all like OMG I MUST CATCH IT!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Cobalt Shadow Offline

Send a message via MSN to Cobalt Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Cobalt Shadow

I was a deprived child. I got my first pokemon game when I was 8. Pokemon Ruby. All I have to do is picture certain images in my head and I get a wave of nostalgia :D things like the big sign they had for pokemon Sapphire out the front of my local game shop, the holiday I went on where I brought my gameboy and didn't stop playing, walking to the town north of Mauville with the contest hall, running into my house and sitting on the couch, not even taking my shoes off because I had just beat the elite four after playing in the car, the box for pokemon ruby, back when they were cardboard, not actual cases like the DS games. The nostalgia is overloading. Back then I didn't get what was happening. I would play by trial and error. I remember one save, I had a level 99 rayquaza, and was almost at level 100, then my little turd of a brother deleted the save file. I wanted to kill him and my parents did not understand why...

Dragotech, Eternal Moonlight and I are the PE2k Wolf Pack! Fear Fredward the Sparklepire, Bidoof the Soulless and Slenderfairy!
Banner Made by Me
Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Zetsu Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Zetsu

Another nostalgia moment was that first step into Celadon City. Being me, i'd run around into every single house, look in every nook and cranny.

Run around the back entrance of the Celadon Mansion and what happens? Dude wanted to give me an Eevee! Of course I'd already hacked Bills PC and seen all the evolutions.

First thing I did was evolve it into Vaporeon and taught it Surf and Ice beam lol.

So many fond memories of Red version I loved that game to bits <3

WFL Dream Team.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Ant2011 Offline
-=Create=-

Send a message via AIM to Ant2011

I remember my parents commenting that if I wasn't careful I'd wind up in the world of Pokemon due to the fact that I was obsessed with the show. Little did I know, they were making a joke and referencing my birthday gift. That year, I was in a state of blissful joy when I unwrapped the special gameboy color and Yellow version bundle. I was so happy, I was finally going to the Pokemon world. Sadly, I didn't know how to get a Pokemon. So I got my hands Blue thinking that Yellow was broken, and I finally figured out what to do. But I was too involved with Blue to go back and play Yellow.

I remember capturing a Nidoran and thinking it was a legendary. I remember getting lost in Seafoam Caves. I remember thinking the cable club was for you and and NPC that had a cable TV service, so I kept on walking into Brock and shouting at my gameboy that he should follow me. I remember being really sad when Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise fainted from battle or poison damage, I wasn't too concerned with burn because he was water type.

Then, there's the dark time... I remember a bunch of guys abusing the Missingno. glitch to get master balls and rare candies. They taught me how to do it and I was hooked. I wish I'd never learned about the Missingno. glitch...
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Bombazzzo Offline

I remember back in the day when my friend from down the street would always come over to my house and bring his gameboy color with Pokemon Red in it, and I'd watch him play it for hours. I had a Gameboy Color as well, but the only game I had was the GBC remake of the original Super Mario Bros. I would just watch in amazement on how awesome the game looked and craved it so bad. But he was a stickler when it came to the game and wouldn't let me borrow it. (Who could blame him at that time?.) I remember when the local Blockbuster actually rented GBC games and man was I excited when i saw Pokemon Blue on their shelves. I finally had the game in my hands, I could finally play it on my own. I deleted the previous save and started my adventure into awesome. I picked Squirtle as my starter because I thought since he looked like the Blastoise on the cover that he must be the best. I know I got stuck for an hour trying to figure out how to move past the old man who needed his coffee, definitely thought I needed to get him some coffee somewhere haha. But I didn't care, I was enjoying the thrill of battling wild pidgeys and rattatas with my little squirtle. I had my parents re-rent that game every single week until my birthday came around, when to my surprise, my parents bought me Red version. Since I now knew how to progress in the game I ended up playing it every day til I beat it and felt so accomplished. Then I deleted my file and started again. ^^

credit to EmBreon for the banner ^^
Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Sheepat Offline

Getting Gold version as a wee little boy, when everyone was well into the third generation. Getting a Corsola from a friend, raising it to level 100 before Clair. The sudden fear of facing Giovanni and therefore, Mewtwo, when I didn't know Team Rocket was looking for him. Goldenrod city, the most beautiful city in the world. Going to Kanto. Battling Red multiple times and losing. The feeling of realizing I could have used that Master Ball on one of the legendary dogs, battling the Elite Four using a team of Meganium, Corsola, Pidgeot, a Tauros, and a few others. The last three because I couldn't win and tried to emulate Ash. The feeling when I accidentally released my Pidgeotto into the wild, crying myself to sleep, then getting a new one. Trying to charge my gameboy 'cause I thought that the poisoned Pokemon was me running out of batteries. Getting a Scyther. Finding my Machoke had gone to level 50 between my adventures of getting back to Johto 'cause I didn't know how to get back. Happy with my team of Meganium, Corsola, Pidgeot, Scyther, Machoke, and Snorlax...

Above all, the feeling, years later, switching on the game, and finding out the battery had run dry, and my save file, with so many memories, was gone :(

Pokemon Gold was amazing, and I loved when Heartgold came out. I should remake that team of Meganium, Corsola, Pidgeot, Scyther, Machoke, and Snorlax.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

I think I'll write my own little story!

I received Gold Version at 3 years old. It was most likely a few months after the game had come out. My dad handed my brother and I a game cartridge. He knew we both loved Pokemon, and had seen the G/S commercials, so he knew which game to give us. I got Gold, and my brother got Silver, like we both wanted. I was obsessed with the flying rainbow Pokemon ever since I saw it in the first episode of the anime. When I saw the G/S commercial, I immediately recognized Ho-Oh. I ran up to my parents and begged them to come look at the rainbow bird, but by the time I returned, the commercial was well over.

I plugged Gold Version in my crystal Gameboy Color and began playing on Gold. The magic I felt when I received my first Pokemon, Cyndaquil, has never died! Typhlosion has yet to leave my heart as my most treasured Pokemon. Playing with my team, Typhlosion, Ampharos, Jolteon, Eevee, Togetic, and Dragonite was the best. They would later become my main HG team and my favorite six Pokemon: Typhlosion, Ampharos, Jolteon, Leafeon, Togekiss, and Dragonite.

I still have the very Gold Version I received in 2000, however, it no longer works. Though, it still holds great memories and cherished Pokemon.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 AM
Dragotech Offline

I remember the day that I recieved my first Pokemon game. Before that both video games and Pokemon were fairly alien to me. So I plugged my used Crystal version into my GBA and started a new adventure. I don't remember how long ago that was, but you probably wouldn't be reading this post if I never recieved that game.

It was probably my favorite pokemon game.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Disco Offline

My first game was Pokémon Yellow. A family friend was the owner of a video game store, where you could not only buy games, but play games at an hourly rate. For my 8th birthday, he gave me the choice for a free GBC game, and a complimentary GBC to match, which was quite exciting.

By then I had watched the anime and was pretty much obsessed with Pikachu, so between Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Yellow, the choice was clear. I got my Yellow game (written in English, which at the time I didn't understand, lol), my yellow GBC, and stuffed them in my Pikachu backpack safely so that I could play as soon as I got home.

The rest, as they say, is history.

I have to say, though, I was very bad at playing- partly because I didn't speak a lick of English. ;3;