Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards

Art Boards Art boards for both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related art.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:14 PM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit
Default Re: PE2K Forum Skin Workshop

Nice job on that new skin, Neo. It's sereously made of win, as some would say.

Name:
Contribution areas: Ideas, Sprites, and some graphics. Never said I was doing no layout/skin making.
Showcase:

And I was thinking of something to replace Little girls dream, but I forgot...
Old 10-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander009 View Post
So, can I put in and claim this idea: I think we should have a HeartGold/SoulSilver themed skin. The obvious thing to do would be to have one with Ho-oh and one with Lugia, but it'd be cool to do one with the Beast trio and the Starters, don't you think? Which should I go with? :D *once I get the art stuff down, that is*
I like the idea with Ho-oh and Lugia. Maybe try going for that.

Anyway, I added everyone.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:09 PM
DeadSmite Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSmite View Post
you forgot me neo.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:53 PM
SLC Offline

Send a message via AIM to SLC

Name: SLCalamity
Contribution areas: Graphic Art Designer, Icon Maker/Editor
Showcase:

Aware that the text on middle one is extremely bad.

---

Working on a skin at the moment, just on my own. It's going to be called something along the lines of WishUponAStar, and feature Jirachi. The main colours will be Yellow and Grey.

AIM: Politoed Prince

Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSmite View Post
you forgot me neo.
Ah, my bad, that was not intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCalamity View Post
Name: SLCalamity
Contribution areas: Graphic Art Designer, Icon Maker/Editor
Showcase:

Aware that the text on middle one is extremely bad.

---

Working on a skin at the moment, just on my own. It's going to be called something along the lines of WishUponAStar, and feature Jirachi. The main colours will be Yellow and Grey.
Looks good, and I like your skin idea. Welcome to the crew.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Anastasia-R Offline
Time Gear Thief

Send a message via MSN to Anastasia-R Send a message via Skype™ to Anastasia-R

Name: Anastasia
Contribution areas: (Ideas, drawn art, graphic art, sprites)I can give all of those. I'm good with drawn art, sprite, and graphics. If you need anymore fields, uh, I'm learning photography, and how to make large art pieces (ex; Wallpaper). I can also make animations with sprites, or with text. If you STILL want more info, talk to me. =P
Showcase: (about two or three images of what you consider to be your best work)

Old 10-27-2010, 12:49 AM
JokesterJesse Offline
I l l u m i n a t i  P r i n c e

Send a message via AIM to JokesterJesse Send a message via MSN to JokesterJesse Send a message via Skype™ to JokesterJesse

Name: Jesse
Contribution areas: Ideas, Graphic Art Designer, Icon Maker/Editor
Showcase:

------
Thinking about making a very simple but appealing skin, any suggestions on pokemon and whatnot, Also I need a template FOR GIMP :/

Last edited by JokesterJesse; 10-27-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 AM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

Got one!

Eeveelutions everywhere
A theme with all of the eveelutions in some spot.

I think either the Johto's or the Sinnoh's should be on top with Eevee in the middle, and the other duo on the bottom. Kanto's:
Flareon: recently posted in topics
Jolteon: Not recently posted in topics
Vaporeon: Closed topics, members(Online and offline), or both.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:40 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

You guys have been added.

Also, I'd like to add that it would be a really, really good idea for each skin to have a theme to go along with it (not just a color scheme), not just a Pokemon. Truthfully, the theme is more important than the Pokemon selected, but both of them should go hand in hand in a nice way that make it look like they were made for each other.

For example, with the Jirachi skin, why not go for a kind of space and celestial kind of theme and design to go along with it? And the Keldeo really needs more than just yellow and blue color schemes, it just feels really incomplete in terms of the kind of blueprint that skin is expected to follow. The post-apocalyptic one is good because its got a theme, its got Pokemon that blend in and go along with the theme, and it looks like they were authentically made for each other. Truthfully, a skin would be better with a theme to go along with it rather than "let's have a skin for Pokemon XYZ" without having a graphical theme to match it.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Double post, I know. :P

I've got an update for the Latios/Latias skin, this is what the main header will probably look like:

Eon Twins A.D. 2300 Main Header

I swear, at this rate, the default skins will look like a steaming pile of feces when we're done.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post

I've got an update for the Latios/Latias skin, this is what the main header will probably look like:

I swear, at this rate, the default skins will look like a steaming pile of feces when we're done.
They've always looked like a steaming pile of feces. <.<

I have a second skin idea that I would like to lay on the table, even though my first idea has yet to become less theory and more product. Thus this can be a background project to do after/during the creation of PowerToTheDragons.

This new theme is called MusicAndDance, which is Meloetta-based. I havent really considered much of the details as PowerToTheDragons is my main focus, but I do think that the banner should detail Meloetta in her Step and Voice formes, in addition to Voice Forme Meloetta Sprite representing the online status and the new posts status on he board icons. Step forme therefore represents the offline status and no new posts.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:50 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post

Wow, that's a really pretty header, Neo ^^

I am REALLY confused by this whole thing, still, but I think I got something working... maybe... I don't get how to do the headers, though

BTW, how do we upload this to you guys? I can't get a sample PNG-snap-shot of it to work on Photobucket for whatever reason.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander009 View Post
Wow, that's a really pretty header, Neo ^^

I am REALLY confused by this whole thing, still, but I think I got something working... maybe... I don't get how to do the headers, though

BTW, how do we upload this to you guys? I can't get a sample PNG-snap-shot of it to work on Photobucket for whatever reason.
To be honest, the headers are probably the most difficult part. Mostly for the fact that its hard to tell what you're dealing with. For the time being, I figure its probably best to use already made skins as templates, and simply replace the images to make an all new-skin.

For the Latios/Latias skin, I'm using this skin as the template:

http://vbskins.com/theme/merahitam.html

I'm going to explain the ins and outs of how I'm using this skin, so please download this and follow closely if this is all confusing you, I'm going to explain how each piece of the skin works and what you need to keep in mind when you're making skins of your own.

If you download it, look at the merahitam.psd document in the PSD folder. That's what the layout looks like. It looks like this:

Merahitam Skin Preview

To be honest, this skin actually looks awesome right from the bat, and it even fits the theme I had in mind, so I figured I'd give this one a go. Now, the main header banner looks like this:

merahitam_logo.gif

This can be found in the main merahitam folder along with a bunch of other images. Its called merahitam_logo.gif and its a 319 x 135 image. Rather than goofing around with the height, I'm going with a 1000 x 135 image, which is the size of the actual Latios/Latias header. So far everything's good, and the Latios/Latias header is going to replace the merahitam_logo.gif image. But then there's another little piece of the puzzle, and that's this:

merahitam_headerbg

And this image's name is merahitam_headerbg. So, if you do the math, where merahitam_logo.gif ends, merahitam_headerbg begins and repeats again and again until it hits the end. So now I've got to come up with something that replaces that and fits the theme of the Latios/Latias header I created, and will likely go to the right of the Latios/Latias header. Now, because the Latios/Latias banner is much wider, that just means the merahitam_headerbg won't repeat as many times.

And then there's the other images in this folder:

merahitam_bg - This is a 1 x 600 image that is exactly what its named. Its the background of the merahitam skin, and like its friend merahitam_headerbg, its set to repeat again and again. If you take this image and increase ONLY the width, you'll see its actually a black/red gradient.

Now, if I want to change this to something else, it only needs to be an image or gradient that can repeat again and again seamlessly.

merahitam_borderL & merahitam_borderR - These two border images are both 9 x 2 images, and like the others, they repeat. As you can probably guess, merahitam_borderL runs along the left side and merahitam_borderR runs along the right side. And you have to look really closely at the merahitam.psd, but when you do, you'll see these run alongside the merahitam_bg image. So yeah, if I'm changing these things too, I need to keep this in mind to also keep these seamless and able to repeat again and again.

merahitam_catbg - This is another 1 x 40 image that repeats. And judging by the file name, its for the background of a category, which means if I play around with this, it will probably change the background of the forum headers, such as Intro Boards, Pokemon Main Boards, and so on.

merahitam_headbg - Same as above, but with a forum header.

merahitam_navbg - Same as above (1 x 39 though), but for a navigation background.

spacer - Don't ask, I have no idea where or how this is used. Its a 1 x 1 image, and I'm not brave enough to goof around with it to see what happens. Not to mention I don't think its necessary either.

So in the end, what you have is this as the layout:

Yes, its very, very much like a puzzle you need to put together, but before you can do that, you need to identify the pieces and where they go. Once you know that, you can get a better idea of how it all fits together, and you can go into it knowing what you want to change and how you'd like to change it to influence the final piece.

Now, keep in mind that every skin is going to have a different layout and different sized images, but the key to understanding them is to look at the separate images in the folder, see where they go in the template, and fit it all together. Once you've done that, you can decide what you'd like to change and how you want to change it.

And yes, I'll put this little guide up on the second post, since this would make good reference.

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 10-28-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

Hmm, I think that's helpful. I'll have to do a lot more messing to do, then. xD

Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Okay guys, this might sound really crazy, but I really need people working on stuff, not just signing up and performing a disappearing act. If you signed up, I'm taking it as a sign that you wanted to help with this, so now's your chance. These skins aren't going to create themselves, and even though I know can actually create a lot of them on my own, I heard people were interested, I decided to put this up and the guides you need to get started, and I've seen people sign up, but then they totally stopped posting. Well, I can't help but ask, what's stopping you from creating skins now? If something's confusing you, please ask, but don't leave me hanging on what you plan on doing. If you need another guide, please go ahead and ask. I'm not an expert on this either and I only started like a few weeks ago, but I'll research crap if I have to.

I'm going to suggest that artists either try working on a skin of their own, pair up with someone else to create a skin together, or try to create one of the skin ideas that have been suggested. If you want me to assign you, I can do that too, but really, I'd rather give people a chance to decide what they want to do before I have to assign them something. With that in mind, post what you're working on, and yes, please show updates as well, at least something each week that proves you're doing stuff. If you don't say anything in the next few days, I will be assigning people to skins, and you will get a PM about it. And if you don't do anything after that, sorry, but I may be dropping you as a member. You've been warned.

Here are my current feelings on the current skins:

Eon Twins A.D. 2300 - I'll handle this alone, but again, I appreciate feedback. I'm currently working on those border graphics at the moment.

Power to the Dragons - Arcemegus, your idea is good, but you might need to settle for a skin that may feature the six Pokemon you mentioned, but not necessarily making the same kinds of attacks that you mentioned. Also, I don't know how to adjust the background sides to capture those exact images, so asking for a background texture that can repeat might be a better idea.

The Hero - This definitely needs a lot more added to it. Featuring Keldeo is a start, but it really needs a theme and some kind of idea as to how the design will look and feel.

Wish Upon a Star - Again, its a start, but it needs a theme. I'd probably recommend a starry/space kind of theme, or something more on the level of dream-like with a surreal kind of feel to it.

And yes, we need more than this.

I also need idea creators to really work out and describe their skin idea and the theme to go along with it, but not to make it too overly complicated so its a bit flexible to the person creating it (or be open to change if need be).

I'll say it now, there's a difference between signing up and saying you're interested, and PROVING you're actually interested by doing stuff and showing stuff for it. So please, let's get the ball rolling with this. If you really want to help with this and you're willing to get to work on skin graphics and/or ideas and coming up with suggestions, then its all good and I'm glad to have you along. But if you're just going to be a social loafer and see what happens, please don't. I'd rather have those kinds of people drop out completely and not be a part of the group.

So yes, I must ask, who's actually in and who's out? And don't just say yes, tell me exactly what you plan on doing.