Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards

Art Boards Art boards for both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related art.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default PE2K Forum Skin Workshop

INTRODUCTION

If you’re interested in being a part of the team that will plan, design, and create different skins for the PE2K Forum, this is the place to be. Even if you’re not an expert in drawn, graphic, or sprite art, that’s okay, you can still help us come up with ideas and give feedback on what other people create.

Truthfully, its my goal to have so many awesome skins that we can do away with the boring default ones and replace them with ones made entirely by PE2Kers.

Also, just know, I’m NOT a VB Skin-creating expert, I only just started this myself. But most of this is what I’ve learned from doing the first one.

IDEAS IN PROGRESS

Currently, this is a list of current skin themes that we’re in the process of creating:

Pokémon Post-Apocalyptic
A Post-Apocalyptic theme that features graphics with a kind of burnt-out "after the bombs" appearance, similar to the Fallout games.

COMPLETE!

Eon Twins A.D. 2300
A Latios and Latias theme with a futuristic/neon kind of look with dark metal backgrounds and neon-like highlights.

COMPLETE!

Power to the Dragons
A Palkia, Dialga, Giratina vs. Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem themed skin featuring the draconic legendaries of Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum in an epic clash against the legendaries of Black and White.
Currently being worked on by: <OPEN!>

The Hero
A skin with a Keldeo featuring yellows and blues.
Currently being worked on by: <OPEN!>

Wish Upon a Star
A yellow and gray colored skin featuring Jirachi.
Currently being worked on by: SLCalamity

Night and Day
A night and day skin featuring Espeon and Umbreon, half bright colors, half dark.
Currently being worked on by: Tombi

THE TEAM

Here’s a list of our current members:

Neo Pikachu – Drawn Art, Graphic Art, Ideas
Arcemegus – Ideas
Gemma – Graphics, Sprites, Artwork, Ideas
Darkmoonlight – Graphic Art, Ideas
Charmander009 - Graphic Art, Ideas
Gaia - Graphic Art, Ideas
Tokyokit - Graphic Art, Sprites, Ideas
DeadSmite - Graphic Art
SLCalamity - Graphic Art, Icon Creator
Anastasia - Ideas, Graphic Art, Drawn Art, Sprite Art
Jesse - Ideas, Graphic Art, Icon Art/Editor
Elecii - Ideas, Graphic Art, Sprites
Pokemon Trainer Sarah - Ideas, Graphic Art, Sprites
Tombi - Ideas, Graphic Art, Sprites
Neko-chan - Ideas, Graphic Art, Codes
Temporal Snake = Ideas, Graphic Art, Coding

JOINING UP

Again, even if you have NO art experience at all and you can’t even do anything in MS Paint, THAT’S OKAY! I’m sure you can still come up with excellent and unique ideas for future skins and we could definitely use that for building ideas. But, if you have experience in these fields, that’s awesome, we can definitely use that.

Use this for signing up:

Name:
Contribution areas: (Ideas, drawn art, graphic art, sprites)
Showcase: (about two or three images of what you consider to be your best work)

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 12-11-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:17 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Default Re: PE2K Forum Skin Workshop

GAMEPLAN INTRODUCTION

This next section deals with the mechanics of creating each skin. I don’t know all the ins and outs of skin creation just yet, so all of this is subject to be changed later on as we discover more things about the process and experiment a little.

BRAINSTORMING IDEAS

This is where anyone, regardless of art skill, can lend a hand. In truth, since this is a Pokémon forum, the only real requirement is to make the skins more Pokémon-related. Don’t be shy when it comes to suggesting ideas, even if most people don’t seem to like it, it could be built upon and turned into something better. No idea is too crazy or too far out there, if you’ve got it in mind, let the team know and we’ll see what we can do with it.

CREATING GRAPHICS

If you already have an idea you’d like to see employed but you’re not sure how the whole skin creation process works, here’s the process I used to create the Pokémon Post-Apocalyptic skin, which was PE2K’s first user-created skin.

Download a template: For the Pokémon Post-Apocalyptic skin, I used the Modernklasik skin from Vbskins.com. When you do this, you’re pretty much working with a premade skin with a lot of graphics, such as the head banner, buttons, and so on. Truthfully, its up to you to decide exactly how much you want to change. When I made the Pokémon Post-Apocalyptic skin, I practically changed just about everything. And even then, making that skin wasn’t too hard either.

Just so you know, I will be using Vbskins.com’s template as an example. If you’re getting your templates from another site, you may be presented with different file names.

Once you’ve downloaded the skin, check it out and see what its default colors are like. Changing these colors is a bit of a tricky business, I tried doing this myself with the Pokémon Post-Apocalyptic skin, and there were a few hitches, but it generally came out alright. Downloading a template that has a color theme that already fits what you had in mind may be arguably much easier and may save a lot more time.

Up to you to decide – The default graphics are usually nothing really exciting. Its really up to you to decide exactly how much you want to change, but I really recommend changing at least these items:

Changing the Main Banner – There are two steps to change the main banner of the skin. The first is to locate the main banner in the main “Upload” folder. Usually, this will typically be the largest banner, and will probably have the skin’s name or logo on it.

Changing the dimensions: – I haven’t done this too much, so this may be a bit of risky business. But hey, there’s no harm in giving it a try and seeing where it takes us. But from what I gather, if you’re going to change the main banner and make it larger or taller, you are going to have to locate the name of the image file in the XML coding. Typically, I’ve seen stuff like this buried in the XML:

.headerwrap {
background-image: url(images/darkfutura/darkfutura_headerbg.gif);
background-repeat: repeat-x;
height: 92px;
}
.headerR {
background-image: url(images/darkfutura/darkfutura_headerR.gif);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
height: 92px;
width: 21px;

Say you think the background image “darkfutura_headerbg.gif” is too small and you’d like to increase the height, if you’re going to change the height in Photoshop (or whatever you’re using), make sure you change it here too. So if I’m going to make the banner have a height of 150px instead of 92px, it would be a good idea to change that 92px to 150px in the XML as well, or I’m pretty sure its going to be cut off or scaled down, and that might make it look a little ugly.

Again, looking at the image you’re changing is a good idea. In this same example, looking at the “darkfutura_header.gif,” it’s a graphic that actually connects to the end of the first image, so keep that in mind that they’re going to be put together. Again, if you’re changing the height on the header, it would be a good idea to change the height to match on similar graphics like these.

Also, if you’re changing file names, it would be a good idea to change them in the XML as well.

Changing Buttons – Generally, what I did for the buttons was to keep the dimensions exactly the same as the button graphics that were there previously. If you make them bigger, the skin may not be able to compensate as well for that, and you may have graphics that stretch or go beyond some of the boundaries. If you keep the dimensions and the file names the same, you don’t run a risk of that.

Changing Icons – Icons such as ones that go before each forum board’s name probably should be changed just to keep it unique. Beyond that, its really up to you to decide if you want to change all the tiny little icons. There are a lot of them, I did actually change all of them for the first skin, and it’s a lot of tedious work, but the end result will be pretty rewarding.

Changing the Forum Background – Remember the metallic grating effect on the Pokémon Post-Apocalyptic skin? That was accomplished by changing the background image. If you’re going to do this, make sure the image works as a seamless repeating tile, which means there should be a transition from the top, sides, and bottom so its impossible to tell where the tile begins and where it ends.

Here’s a good example of this:

As you can tell from this image, you see what the individual tile looks like, and you see the kind of effect that is created when this tile is repeated. Yes, I forgot to do this the first time. Generally, it looks nicer and makes the background look like its one big image texture when really its not and does a good job of hiding that.

THAT’S ABOUT IT

It sounds complicated, but really, its not. The first time I made a skin, I was working in the blind for the most part, and generally, most of what I did actually worked fine the first time. And even if it doesn’t work out perfectly, there are ways to change it and fix it later on. Again, I’ll openly admit I only just started doing this myself, so you’re not alone.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:35 AM
Disco Offline

Sorry Disco, but I need your post. :P

HOW TO UNDERSTAND AND MODIFY A SKIN TEMPLATE

This explains how you take an already existing skin template you’ve downloaded, how you understand how each of its images is used, and how to go about changing or modifying them to fit the skin theme you have in mind.

For the Latios/Latias skin, I'm using this skin as the template:

http://vbskins.com/theme/merahitam.html

I'm going to explain the ins and outs of how I'm using this skin, so please download this and follow closely if this is all confusing you, I'm going to explain how each piece of the skin works and what you need to keep in mind when you're making skins of your own.

If you download it, look at the merahitam.psd document in the PSD folder. That's what the layout looks like. It looks like this if you don’t have Photoshop to view it:

Merahitam Skin Preview

To be honest, this skin actually looks awesome right from the bat, and it even fits the theme I had in mind, so I figured I'd give this one a go. Now, the main header banner looks like this:

merahitam_logo.gif

This can be found in the main merahitam folder along with a bunch of other images, which I’ll go into later. Its called merahitam_logo.gif and its a 319 x 135 image. Rather than goofing around with the height, I'm going with a 1000 x 135 image, which is the size of the actual Latios/Latias header. So far everything's good, and the Latios/Latias header is going to replace the merahitam_logo.gif image. But then there's another little piece of the puzzle, and that's this:

merahitam_headerbg

And this image's name is merahitam_headerbg. So, if you do the math, where merahitam_logo.gif ends, merahitam_headerbg begins and repeats again and again until it hits the end. So now I've got to come up with something that replaces that and fits the theme of the Latios/Latias header I created, and will likely go to the right of the Latios/Latias header. Now, because the Latios/Latias banner is much wider, that just means the merahitam_headerbg won't repeat as many times.

And then there's the other images in this folder:

merahitam_bg - This is a 1 x 600 image that is exactly what its named. Its the background of the merahitam skin, and like its friend merahitam_headerbg, its set to repeat again and again. If you take this image and increase ONLY the width, you'll see its actually a black/red gradient.

Now, if I want to change this to something else, it only needs to be an image or gradient that can repeat again and again seamlessly.

merahitam_borderL & merahitam_borderR - These two border images are both 9 x 2 images, and like the others, they repeat. As you can probably guess, merahitam_borderL runs along the left side and merahitam_borderR runs along the right side. And you have to look really closely at the merahitam.psd, but when you do, you'll see these run alongside the merahitam_bg image. So yeah, if I'm changing these things too, I need to keep this in mind to also keep these seamless and able to repeat again and again.

merahitam_catbg - This is another 1 x 40 image that repeats. And judging by the file name, its for the background of a category, which means if I play around with this, it will probably change the background of the forum headers, such as Intro Boards, Pokemon Main Boards, and so on.

merahitam_headbg - Same as above, but with a forum header.

merahitam_navbg - Same as above (1 x 39 though), but for a navigation background.

spacer - Don't ask, I have no idea where or how this is used. Its a 1 x 1 image, and I'm not brave enough to goof around with it to see what happens. Not to mention I don't think its necessary either.

So in the end, what you have is this as the layout:

Yes, its very, very much like a puzzle you need to put together, but before you can do that, you need to identify the pieces and where they go. Once you know that, you can get a better idea of how it all fits together, and you can go into it knowing what you want to change and how you'd like to change it to influence the final piece.

Now, keep in mind that every skin is going to have a different layout and different sized images, but the key to understanding them is to look at the separate images in the folder, see where they go in the template, and fit it all together. Once you've done that, you can decide what you'd like to change and how you want to change it.

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 10-28-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:58 AM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

Name: Arcemegus
Contribution: Ideas
Showcase: Never actually did any Art

Ideas: Power to the Dragons

Power to the Dragons
Main theme: Palkia, Dialga, Giratina vs. Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem

PE2K Banner details:
On the left hand side of the banner, the image should include Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina (Origin Forme preferable) staring at the centered "Pokémon Elite 2000 Forum" Text. Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem should stare at the text from the opposite side and direction. Background should be similar to the darkness that appears in the unown dimension shown wher Palkia and Dialga fight in "the Rise of Darkrai"

Main Forum background:
The following should be placed on a black background

Left side of main background should include images of Dialga releasing Roar of Time, Palkia releasing Spacial Rend, and Giratina-O using/about to use Shadow Force.

Right side should have Zekrom using Lightning Strike, Reshiram using Blue Fire, and Kyurem using Frozen World.

As nice as that would've been, other options are open

Online/Offline detail:

Online status should be Arceus awakened and angered
Offline should be a peacefully sleeping Arceus

Again other suggestions are open

Buttons can remain like the ones on V-Bulletin

This is my idea in theory. I haven't actually tested this. In a future edit I can provide some templates (maybe) but as I am currently using an iPod Touch as my main computer, finding templates and importing them may take quite a bit of time.

EDIT A: I have images for the dimension dragon trio
Spoiler:

Last edited by Judgmental Arceus; 10-30-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Name: Gemma
Contribution areas: I can contribute ideas AND make the skins. That means graphics, drawings, sprites, you name it!
Showcase: I'm pretty sure you've seen my work. *toolazytohuntforbanners*

In a long term project, I'm thinking of making a skin for each type of Pokemon, though that is a lot. To start off with, Neo, I'd like your advice about how the XML works with the graphics, because I'm unsure of all that. xD So if we change dimensions or colours in the graphics, we need to change that in the XML, too?

Once I get that down, I'm free to start experimenting on my own skin.

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 10-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Name: Dark Moonlight (DM)
Contribution areas: Ideas and Graphic Art
Showcase: For graphic art, this is my definate best. I also love this one;

And for ideas, here is an idea I have for a skin;

The Hero
With Keldeo as the mascot, this skin is full of bright blues and yellows, making it look quite bold and heroic. The background a good mix of yellow and blue with Keldeo in the middle.

Spoiler:
Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcemegus View Post
Ideas: Power to the Dragons

Power to the Dragons
Main theme: Palkia, Dialga, Giratina vs. Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem
Interesting idea, but have you seen images of what you'd like to see on this skin, or would someone have to draw these? If you have anime images or something similar, then this probably shouldn't be too much trouble. But if someone would need to draw these, that would be a lot more work.

As for the text colors, eh, red/orange on dark blue might not work so great. I tried looking at it on Photoshop, and the colors don't really complement each other that well. I honestly feel that having something that fits the colors of some of the Pokemon you've suggested would look a lot better and would fit the theme.

But, if someone wants to try their hand at it, I don't see why not. I'll put it up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumori Gem View Post
In a long term project, I'm thinking of making a skin for each type of Pokemon, though that is a lot. To start off with, Neo, I'd like your advice about how the XML works with the graphics, because I'm unsure of all that. xD So if we change dimensions or colours in the graphics, we need to change that in the XML, too?

Once I get that down, I'm free to start experimenting on my own skin.
Well, I know that Serebii and GTS+ forums already have a skin for each Pokemon type. To me, it just seems... eh, unoriginal to do that, but if you really want to do it, I don't see why not.

As for the XML, my knowledge of its is pretty limited, but I'm assuming that in the XML, the image size is being defined, so if you change the dimensions, you'd probably need to change that in the XML, or there might be a cutoff. As for colors, that shouldn't be a problem. But yeah, I'm just going off of what I know about programming in general and from my HTML knowledge. XML is a whole different beast, but generally, I would assume this is the case.

By the way, I think a Team Stormriders forum skin would be epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Moonlight View Post
Name: Dark Moonlight (DM)
Contribution areas: Ideas and Graphic Art
Showcase: For graphic art, this is my definate best. I also love this one;

And for ideas, here is an idea I have for a skin;

The Hero
With Keldeo as the mascot, this skin is full of bright blues and yellows, making it look quite bold and heroic. The background a good mix of yellow and blue with Keldeo in the middle.
I tried searching for Keldeo images and I didn't get very much. Which Pokemon is that?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Interesting idea, but have you seen images of what you'd like to see on this skin, or would someone have to draw these? If you have anime images or something similar, then this probably shouldn't be too much trouble. But if someone would need to draw these, that would be a lot more work.

As for the text colors, eh, red/orange on dark blue might not work so great. I tried looking at it on Photoshop, and the colors don't really complement each other that well. I honestly feel that having something that fits the colors of some of the Pokemon you've suggested would look a lot better and would fit the theme.

But, if someone wants to try their hand at it, I don't see why not. I'll put it up there.

Well, I know that Serebii and GTS+ forums already have a skin for each Pokemon type. To me, it just seems... eh, unoriginal to do that, but if you really want to do it, I don't see why not.

As for the XML, my knowledge of its is pretty limited, but I'm assuming that in the XML, the image size is being defined, so if you change the dimensions, you'd probably need to change that in the XML, or there might be a cutoff. As for colors, that shouldn't be a problem. But yeah, I'm just going off of what I know about programming in general and from my HTML knowledge. XML is a whole different beast, but generally, I would assume this is the case.

I tried searching for Keldeo images and I didn't get very much. Which Pokemon is that?
I can probably hunt down some anime images, though finding images for Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem is going to be difficult for the time being. Images for Arceus, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina shouldn't be painful to find once I gain access to a computer.

Red/Orange on Blue was just something that came out of the blue (pun intended) as I was trying to consider a color combination fit for Dragon pokémon. When I can get a few good images of what I need then I can take consideration of colors.

Keldeo is the new Isshu Water/Fighting legendary. It's number 647 in the national pokédex.
EDIT: It's better known as Kerudio and it looks like a blue pony wearing a hat.

Last edited by Judgmental Arceus; 10-21-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 PM
DeadSmite Offline

Name: Deadsmite
Contribution areas: graphic art
Showcase: <http://myspace.com/mrtonesmusic> || <http://skyfang.deviantart.com> || <http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...d.php?t=100032>

Last edited by DeadSmite; 10-21-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post

Oh, they do? I didn't know, because I don't go on their site/forum too often. xD Okay, scratch that idea. But I CAN do StormRiders for you. I think a few people might like that idea. Maybe a Light vs. Dark kind of thing, you think? That'll do for now, maybe I can make some more later.

Yeah, see, I know some HTML, but really not a lot about XML. xD So looks like I'm gonna have to learn. Which would help me somewhat anyway, because we're designing websites next year at Uni.

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Disco Offline

You know what we need?
We need a skin with our mascot in it.

I always thought it was strange how like, our default skin is of kyogre, when our mascot is Psyduck.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative

Not really contributing much, but if any of you are looking for complementary colours and such...

hi.

|thedynamicduo|
Old 10-22-2010, 02:54 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

Oh, I didn't notice this before :O *whips up a sign-up*

Name: Char

Contribution areas: Graphic Art, Ideas

Showcase: *coughIdon'tKnowWhat'sMyBestcough*

Spoiler:

So, can I put in and claim this idea: I think we should have a HeartGold/SoulSilver themed skin. The obvious thing to do would be to have one with Ho-oh and one with Lugia, but it'd be cool to do one with the Beast trio and the Starters, don't you think? Which should I go with? :D *once I get the art stuff down, that is*

Old 10-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Dark Moonlight Offline

For the blue in The Hero skin, it's sort of about the colours I've chosen here; http://colorschemedesigner.com/#3i11Tw0w0w0w0

Spoiler:
Old 10-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Gaia Offline

Send a message via MSN to Gaia

Name: Gaia
Contribution areas: I'm all about Graphic Arts! :D
Showcase:-

---

Will definitely experiment on what ideas I can implement into the skin. I'm already tingling with skin design ideas. :D