Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Platinum Lucario Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Platinum Lucario Send a message via AIM to Platinum Lucario Send a message via MSN to Platinum Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Platinum Lucario Send a message via Skype™ to Platinum Lucario
Default Cyclone Yasi - The catergory 5 cyclone hits mid Queensland coast!

Tropical Cyclone Yasi has just hit the coast of mid Queensland coast in Australia. It is the worst cyclone that has hit since a hundread years ago. This cyclone is a catergory 5 cyclone that will cause major damage to the towns of Cairns, Innisfail, Townsville and any town in the cyclone's path, it's likely to also hit inland towns as well at catergory 3. This cyclone is worse than Cyclone Tracy and Cyclone Larry that hit Australia in the past. Dispite how Darwin was hit by Cyclone Tracy in 1974, it was only a catergory 3 but the houses were not built to withstand a cyclone. People have evacuated the towns and moved away, while some people have taken refuge in the evacuation centers in Cairns, Innisfail and Townsville. And I'd have to say... I feel very worried about the people who are still in their homes and haven't evacuated, I hope no one gets killed. Dx

This is the predicted path of Cyclone Yasi, which could hit Mt. Isa at catergory 1. But it sure is really bad.

This is the latest of Cyclone Yasi, and just look at it... it's massive!

I live down in Victoria anyways, a state which far from Queensland, so I'm safe. But still... I worry about those people still in their homes. There hasn't been a catergory 5 cyclone since 100 years ago.

I'm pretty sure this is going to make it's headlines across the globe.

More information on Cyclone Yasi can be found here: http://www.weatherchannel.com.au/mor...FZCCpAodBQvN5w

Last edited by Platinum Lucario; 02-02-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Cyclone Yasi - The catergory 5 cyclone hits mid Queensland coast!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this is going to make it's headlines across the globe.
It hasn't even been mentioned over here.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Platinum Lucario Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Platinum Lucario Send a message via AIM to Platinum Lucario Send a message via MSN to Platinum Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Platinum Lucario Send a message via Skype™ to Platinum Lucario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
It hasn't even been mentioned over here.
It's likely that it would probably be mentioned probably tomorrow or the day after, but yeah... this cyclone... it's just as bad as Hurricane Katrina. It's shocking. Dx
Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Blood Red Lucario Offline

Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Lucario Send a message via Yahoo to Blood Red Lucario

We're too busy dealing with a country wide blizzard. I've had my first snow day in ten years because of it.

Absol Hatches: 27 Level 100: 312

All credit goes to Knightblazer
URPG
Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Yawn... *mutters something about 2012*... Wait? What? Somebody said something about 2012? What the hell? That is not true, as the Mayans lived in South America, not eastern Australia!

Anyway, damn... I was just in Melbourne a few days before on a trip... Not THAT close AT ALL, but still.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 02-02-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Lucario View Post
It's likely that it would probably be mentioned probably tomorrow or the day after, but yeah... this cyclone... it's just as bad as Hurricane Katrina. It's shocking. Dx
Katrina was bad because of the environment in which it hit (aka a below-sea-level city in the poorest part of the US), it itself was no worse than any ordinary Category 5.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 02-06-2011, 03:06 AM
Ah Beng I the Pikabeng Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Yawn... *mutters something about 2012*... Wait? What? Somebody said something about 2012? What the hell? That is not true, as the Mayans lived in South America, not eastern Australia!
I think they mean the entire world. Hard to find them implying that only South America, or only the Americas even, would get struck by some catastrophe or something in 2012, right? So the best way to get impending signs of the end of the world is to strike at multiple places bit by bit and gradually intensify the strikes over time. :3

In any case, it seems that 2 people went missing, but... billions of dollars' worth of destruction aside, that's it.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

There have been a series of catastrophic disasters going on all around the world recently. I just said that, not because I believe it, but just because I wanted to make fun of Retro-Fitters who would take it as an omen.

And yes, as far as I know, nobody was harmed. And while the world is not getting or is going to get destroyed, the Australian economy will get pretty damn close.