Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:10 AM
gpFish Offline

Send a message via MSN to gpFish
Default Animal Experimentation

Your thoughts on it? Do you support it? Why or why not?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:51 AM
Skylands Offline

Default Re: Animal Experimentation

I think it should be on humans rather than animals. Animals cannot make the decision for themselves, whereas humans have a choice/offer for an experimental opportunity or not.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 AM
Peace Buyer Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Peace Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylands View Post
I think it should be on humans rather than animals. Animals cannot make the decision for themselves, whereas humans have a choice/offer for an experimental opportunity or not.
Thats like saying they should test fle repelant on homo-sapiens

Im on the border, medication should be done on humens, things like growth hormones should be done on animals. Im not saying its good to test on aminals but its not bad either.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:10 AM
Retro-Smasher Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Animal experimentation is really dumb, but what could we do without it? It has saved countless lives. I mean, sure, it causes the animal discomfort, but its not like they torture the things. They just shave the fur and apply the product to see if irritation occurs.

Thanks Mw!
Smashing Stats
Old 08-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

100% for it. We've gotten to the point in science where there simply is no turning back. The advent of genetically identical mice has allowed us to systematically control basically everything down to the gene when it comes to experimentation. The fact of the matter is that we can do a plathora of things with it, such as testing of cancer therapies, understanding the actions of probiotics, etc. are just simply impossible to do with humans.

Secondarily, it's a lot cheaper to test say drugs on animals first before moving to clinical trials. You know, so we don't randomly kill people for the heck of it. Instead, we can only start testing drugs on humans under the circumstance that it's reasonably safe enough in an animal model before pushing it out to clinical trials, and test that for many drugs at a time. In that sense, animal experimentation is good. We're not sacrificing people just because we're "protecting" some mice. To put it this way, human lives are worth more than genetically engineered mice, we are obligated to at least try to not intentionally cause harm to humans just because we have no idea what a chemical does.

Thirdly, pretty much each university/industry plant has its own ethical commity anyways to deal with the fair treatment of animals to ensure that there is nothing "unacceptable" going on. Sure it's not perfect (nothing is), but at least it helps set a precidence on what to do. People tend to think that animal experimentation is by definition "wrong" because they obviously "torture animals", but in general the vast majority of lab animals have better lives during the times they were living than most human beings in the world.

In general, people think of cosmetics when it comes to animal experimentation (and I have no idea why, considering that it's in the minority of actual animal experimentation). They're actually moving away from the animal models and are adapting some pretty fancy methods to grow human skin for testing for irritation and stuff.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

I find anyone against it to be silly... drugging a few mice in exchange for improving society is not a bad tradeoff. :/

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 08-20-2010, 03:18 AM
gpFish Offline

Send a message via MSN to gpFish

I would rather have a few mice die then humans. There has been much progress made with animal experimentation. I support it.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 AM
xXSlaveXx Offline

Send a message via AIM to xXSlaveXx Send a message via MSN to xXSlaveXx

Yeah, I'll agree with the above. I'd rather not hurt any animals in the process though...

Up For Story Deals.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso

The day an animal species can think for itself...
Go to the Anime section

Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Eagle Offline
Master Trainer

I say go for it. But then again animals do have right. but instead of killing humans kill the rats. *Pikachu runs for his life*

Galactic Guardian Academy coming soon in Mid-September
A big thanks to Neo for the Banner.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:02 AM
MustangGT Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to MustangGT Send a message via AIM to MustangGT Send a message via Yahoo to MustangGT

Kill a mouse that's been bred and raised in a lab, or kill a human that's been living in the real world. The former will always win.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Male Snorunt Offline

I hate how people say "At least they're not humans they're killing" I think
it's terrible how little humans care for the lives of creatures other than themselves, especially insects. People make products just to commit genocide on them daily, and some people torture them for fun.

That's why I don't like to associate myself with humans.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

I'm against it.

I know there's absolutely nothing I can do about it, but I don't support it. I know it's good for man kind, but I still don't support it. :p
Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male Snorunt View Post
I hate how people say "At least they're not humans they're killing" I think
it's terrible how little humans care for the lives of creatures other than themselves, especially insects. People make products just to commit genocide on them daily, and some people torture them for fun.

That's why I don't like to associate myself with humans.
Well yeah, because we need to kill to survive. Whether it's plants, animals, pests, etc., we're killing to eat. We should be killing mice to further knowledge if the mice are handled in a humane manner. There is no reason not to, or do you prefer the times when we just simply leave millions of people to die because of a sickness they have, and we don't have the technology to do anything about it? Would you prefer us still leeching blood from people as a valid form of medicine? There's a lot of things that go down in research that don't deal with stupid stuff like cosmetics, and I think that legitimate use of animals with proper treatment is fine. As I have said, either we test on humans, we test on mice, or we watch people die. We can't have a perfect world where we have perfect medicine and not test on animals.

In fact, you are dead wrong on the part about humans not caring about animals other than humans. For a developed country, those humans care about their own middle-class and up citizens, and sometimes only the elite class. Don't think of us humans as highly as we actually are. However, for the few that actually care about mankind and do animal research, they stand at at least at a higher moral ground than the average politician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
I'm against it.

I know there's absolutely nothing I can do about it, but I don't support it. I know it's good for man kind, but I still don't support it. :p
Why? I can, if given enough reason, respect a position of being against "animal experimentation", but the why is missing.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:33 AM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Why? I can, if given enough reason, respect a position of being against "animal experimentation", but the why is missing.
You know what, I was actually going to post my reason, but decided to leave it out as I thought it would be a little stupid to be called a valid reason.

I just don't like animal abuse. I dislike it very much. This is why I'm vegetarian. I don't know why, but I love animals. Probably the only animal I have no problem killing is a roach, but sometimes I feel regret afterward. XD

There is no way for me to control the abuse on animals and I know animal experimentation is actually good for our future, but I still don't support it. This is why I don't support the radiation experiments on monkeys NASA is planning.

I thought about becoming an Animal Cruelty Investigator, but then it dawned on me (with help of Animal Cops: Houston) that I would face much more peril than aid. I've actually seen the Animal Cops a couple of times being filmed around here. I thought of becoming a Veterinarian as well, but that it's pretty much the same situation as with becoming an Animal Cop.

But maybe it's that I don't want to see pain happen to an animal. The very thought of harm on an animal saddens me. This is why I can't support it. But I know it will still happen. I'd rather avoid discussion on animal experimentation because I know I'll be going into a battle I can't win. So, yeah. =\