Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 PM
3m0d0ll's Avatar
3m0d0ll Offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: t(//_^ t)
Posts: 3,884
Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll
Default About Spammers

I have an idea. If it's possible, is there a way to make a user have x amount of posts before they make a new thread? I think that would help to stop the amount of spam that floats around PE2K. Or every time a member under a week or so posts a link to an external site, the post must be approved by an online Moderator.
Just thoughts; I'm not even sure if there is a way to do this, but I think it could work. Or at least help.
__________________
I need a new sig, uhg.
██ ->>> Links. Twin: Justin. Pair: Corey. ||・
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Neo Emolga's Avatar
Neo Emolga Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Reading your mind
Posts: 21,704
Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: About Spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post
I have an idea. If it's possible, is there a way to make a user have x amount of posts before they make a new thread? I think that would help to stop the amount of spam that floats around PE2K. Or every time a member under a week or so posts a link to an external site, the post must be approved by an online Moderator.
Just thoughts; I'm not even sure if there is a way to do this, but I think it could work. Or at least help.
Not sure if those are possible, but if they are, Ryan would have to activate them, and unfortunately, he is no longer active.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Anastasia-R Offline
Time Gear Thief
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 4,382
Send a message via MSN to Anastasia-R Send a message via Skype™ to Anastasia-R
Default Re: About Spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post
I have an idea. If it's possible, is there a way to make a user have x amount of posts before they make a new thread? I think that would help to stop the amount of spam that floats around PE2K. Or every time a member under a week or so posts a link to an external site, the post must be approved by an online Moderator.
Just thoughts; I'm not even sure if there is a way to do this, but I think it could work. Or at least help.
Spammers would still spam in other threads that they didn't make. So, then, if they keep spamming in other threads, they might get to the limit to the point where they're able to post threads.

Eh. That's just how I see it, they'd spam even more. =o I'm not all that sure about Mods approving links, though.
__________________
Thanks, PE2K - See here for contact info, please!
deviantART - on everyday to post art and if you want to contact me as well! || Art Trio: Gemma & Xanthe|| Pair: Griff
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Gem N Ems's Avatar
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In my own world.
Posts: 6,807
Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems
Default Re: About Spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post
I have an idea. If it's possible, is there a way to make a user have x amount of posts before they make a new thread? I think that would help to stop the amount of spam that floats around PE2K. Or every time a member under a week or so posts a link to an external site, the post must be approved by an online Moderator.
Just thoughts; I'm not even sure if there is a way to do this, but I think it could work. Or at least help.
Having mods approve links would be tremendously annoying. Can you imagine the amount of links that would need approval? x.x

I don't know if that's even possible.
__________________

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-03-2010, 10:31 PM
3m0d0ll's Avatar
3m0d0ll Offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: t(//_^ t)
Posts: 3,884
Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll
Default Re: About Spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumori Gem View Post
Having mods approve links would be tremendously annoying. Can you imagine the amount of links that would need approval? x.x

I don't know if that's even possible.
I'm saying if it was. And just until the Spammer was over a week old or something.

@Ana: Hopefully by then, the Spammer would be reported by enough members that they are banned before they get to that minimum post number.
__________________
I need a new sig, uhg.
██ ->>> Links. Twin: Justin. Pair: Corey. ||・
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Route 1
Posts: 8,137
Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Default Re: About Spammers

As Ana said, lots of spammers tend to post in threads anyway, so it probably wouldn't make much difference. :( I don't think the link thing is even possible.

I'm not sure if there are any captcha images or anything to deter spambots from signing up right now, or if there are any other things that could be implemented. Of course, without an admin, none of those things are possible. All we can really do is delete them as they post...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM
MoonKit's Avatar
MoonKit Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington.
Posts: 2,593
Send a message via MSN to MoonKit
Default Re: About Spammers

Actually, I think we should add sucurity to the sign up forms. Like, some odd word, or something like an Are you human? thing, like GTS+ has.

Are you human? I am Human.

Are you human?

The first is from an actual user, the second is from a SPAM bot.
__________________
I'm alive! -coughnotcough-
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-11-2010, 09:40 PM
The Jr Trainer's Avatar
The Jr Trainer Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 8,426
Send a message via AIM to The Jr Trainer Send a message via MSN to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Yahoo to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Skype™ to The Jr Trainer
Default Re: About Spammers

Having to enter a captcha for each post would slow down spamming, and stop spambots altogether (or for the most part), but it could be tedious for everyday members to enter, though it shouldn't be as the trade-off of not getting as much spam would be nice.

I think that's what Tokyokit was getting after.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Operative's Avatar
Operative Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 5,862
Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative
Default Re: About Spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jr Trainer View Post
Having to enter a captcha for each post would slow down spamming, and stop spambots altogether (or for the most part), but it could be tedious for everyday members to enter, though it shouldn't be as the trade-off of not getting as much spam would be nice.

I think that's what Tokyokit was getting after.
for each post seems a bit... much.

maybe we should add captcha images for people/bots signing up?
__________________

|thedynamicduo|
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Dark Moonlight's Avatar
Dark Moonlight Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ivalice
Posts: 1,952
Default Re: About Spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operative View Post


for each post seems a bit... much.

maybe we should add captcha images for people/bots signing up?
Yeah, a good "are-you-human" test.
__________________

Spoiler:
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM
scubasteveE's Avatar
scubasteveE Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,558
Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE
Default Re: About Spammers

Well since Harry and Kenny have admin powers now, can they do the ten post thing?

The way I see it, mods right now do a pretty good job keeping it clear. A easier way to improve the spam control is that us members report them to the mods. You that by clicking the red triange with a ! in it, right beside the post number.
__________________
Everybody loves a comback! I'm still kicking and still diving.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
MoonKit's Avatar
MoonKit Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington.
Posts: 2,593
Send a message via MSN to MoonKit
Default Re: About Spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubatheDiverman View Post
Well since Harry and Kenny have admin powers now, can they do the ten post thing?

The way I see it, mods right now do a pretty good job keeping it clear. A easier way to improve the spam control is that us members report them to the mods. You that by clicking the red triange with a ! in it, right beside the post number.
I don't think you get it. We are trying to prevent them from signing up in the first place, and we all know how to report somthing, unless we are so stupid that we know nothing.
__________________
I'm alive! -coughnotcough-
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Ttar Trainer's Avatar
Ttar Trainer Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 34
Default Re: About Spammers

The 10 post thing wouldn't really do anything. They would probably just spam in threads instead of making their own.

A good way to prevent spammer-bots is to make it so they have to type an image verification code. The "type the word Desk" thing at the beginning that I got when registering has already been cracked.

For actually people spamming, the best thing you can do is have good active staff there.
__________________
My Shiny Pokemon
Recent Shiny
Munna
36 eggs hatched
Day 1

Currently Hunting
Tsutarja
600 eggs hatched
Day 8
Chobomaki
30 eggs hatched
Day 1
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-2010, 11:49 PM
MoonKit's Avatar
MoonKit Offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington.
Posts: 2,593
Send a message via MSN to MoonKit
Default Re: About Spammers

No, you don't know what I mean at all.

I mean like
Type a Pokemon's name here if you are human;

We have rather moved on to that as a topic, rather then watching them post, no, no. We are trying to stop them before or durring the time they sign up. Not have tons of trash threads thrown everywhere.

But it might help if mone of the more active members were a mod...then threads could go bye bye easier and quicker.
__________________
I'm alive! -coughnotcough-
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Ttar Trainer's Avatar
Ttar Trainer Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 34
Default Re: About Spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyokit View Post
No, you don't know what I mean at all.

I mean like
Type a Pokemon's name here if you are human;

We have rather moved on to that as a topic, rather then watching them post, no, no. We are trying to stop them before or durring the time they sign up. Not have tons of trash threads thrown everywhere.

But it might help if mone of the more active members were a mod...then threads could go bye bye easier and quicker.
There is no way to stop actual people who spam from signing up. The way I suggested is the best way to stop bots.
__________________
My Shiny Pokemon
Recent Shiny
Munna
36 eggs hatched
Day 1

Currently Hunting
Tsutarja
600 eggs hatched
Day 8
Chobomaki
30 eggs hatched
Day 1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com