Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll
Default About Spammers

I have an idea. If it's possible, is there a way to make a user have x amount of posts before they make a new thread? I think that would help to stop the amount of spam that floats around PE2K. Or every time a member under a week or so posts a link to an external site, the post must be approved by an online Moderator.
Just thoughts; I'm not even sure if there is a way to do this, but I think it could work. Or at least help.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: About Spammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post
I have an idea. If it's possible, is there a way to make a user have x amount of posts before they make a new thread? I think that would help to stop the amount of spam that floats around PE2K. Or every time a member under a week or so posts a link to an external site, the post must be approved by an online Moderator.
Just thoughts; I'm not even sure if there is a way to do this, but I think it could work. Or at least help.
Not sure if those are possible, but if they are, Ryan would have to activate them, and unfortunately, he is no longer active.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Anastasia-R Offline
Time Gear Thief

Send a message via MSN to Anastasia-R Send a message via Skype™ to Anastasia-R

Quote:
Spammers would still spam in other threads that they didn't make. So, then, if they keep spamming in other threads, they might get to the limit to the point where they're able to post threads.

Eh. That's just how I see it, they'd spam even more. =o I'm not all that sure about Mods approving links, though.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
Having mods approve links would be tremendously annoying. Can you imagine the amount of links that would need approval? x.x

I don't know if that's even possible.

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 09-03-2010, 10:31 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumori Gem View Post
Having mods approve links would be tremendously annoying. Can you imagine the amount of links that would need approval? x.x

I don't know if that's even possible.
I'm saying if it was. And just until the Spammer was over a week old or something.

@Ana: Hopefully by then, the Spammer would be reported by enough members that they are banned before they get to that minimum post number.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

As Ana said, lots of spammers tend to post in threads anyway, so it probably wouldn't make much difference. :( I don't think the link thing is even possible.

I'm not sure if there are any captcha images or anything to deter spambots from signing up right now, or if there are any other things that could be implemented. Of course, without an admin, none of those things are possible. All we can really do is delete them as they post...
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

Actually, I think we should add sucurity to the sign up forms. Like, some odd word, or something like an Are you human? thing, like GTS+ has.

Are you human? I am Human.

Are you human?

The first is from an actual user, the second is from a SPAM bot.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:40 PM
The Jr Trainer Offline

Send a message via AIM to The Jr Trainer Send a message via MSN to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Yahoo to The Jr Trainer Send a message via Skype™ to The Jr Trainer

Having to enter a captcha for each post would slow down spamming, and stop spambots altogether (or for the most part), but it could be tedious for everyday members to enter, though it shouldn't be as the trade-off of not getting as much spam would be nice.

I think that's what Tokyokit was getting after.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jr Trainer View Post
Having to enter a captcha for each post would slow down spamming, and stop spambots altogether (or for the most part), but it could be tedious for everyday members to enter, though it shouldn't be as the trade-off of not getting as much spam would be nice.

I think that's what Tokyokit was getting after.
for each post seems a bit... much.

maybe we should add captcha images for people/bots signing up?

|thedynamicduo|
Old 09-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Dark Moonlight Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operative View Post

for each post seems a bit... much.

maybe we should add captcha images for people/bots signing up?
Yeah, a good "are-you-human" test.

Spoiler:
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM
scubasteveE Offline

Send a message via AIM to scubasteveE Send a message via MSN to scubasteveE

Well since Harry and Kenny have admin powers now, can they do the ten post thing?

The way I see it, mods right now do a pretty good job keeping it clear. A easier way to improve the spam control is that us members report them to the mods. You that by clicking the red triange with a ! in it, right beside the post number.

† I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and am proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
MoonKit Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubatheDiverman View Post
Well since Harry and Kenny have admin powers now, can they do the ten post thing?

The way I see it, mods right now do a pretty good job keeping it clear. A easier way to improve the spam control is that us members report them to the mods. You that by clicking the red triange with a ! in it, right beside the post number.
I don't think you get it. We are trying to prevent them from signing up in the first place, and we all know how to report somthing, unless we are so stupid that we know nothing.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Ttar Trainer Offline

The 10 post thing wouldn't really do anything. They would probably just spam in threads instead of making their own.

A good way to prevent spammer-bots is to make it so they have to type an image verification code. The "type the word Desk" thing at the beginning that I got when registering has already been cracked.

For actually people spamming, the best thing you can do is have good active staff there.
36 eggs hatched
Day 1

Currently Hunting
Tsutarja
600 eggs hatched
Day 8
Chobomaki
30 eggs hatched
Day 1
Old 09-12-2010, 11:49 PM
MoonKit Offline

No, you don't know what I mean at all.

I mean like
Type a Pokemon's name here if you are human;

We have rather moved on to that as a topic, rather then watching them post, no, no. We are trying to stop them before or durring the time they sign up. Not have tons of trash threads thrown everywhere.

But it might help if mone of the more active members were a mod...then threads could go bye bye easier and quicker.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Ttar Trainer Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyokit View Post
No, you don't know what I mean at all.

I mean like
Type a Pokemon's name here if you are human;

We have rather moved on to that as a topic, rather then watching them post, no, no. We are trying to stop them before or durring the time they sign up. Not have tons of trash threads thrown everywhere.

But it might help if mone of the more active members were a mod...then threads could go bye bye easier and quicker.
There is no way to stop actual people who spam from signing up. The way I suggested is the best way to stop bots.
36 eggs hatched
Day 1

Currently Hunting
Tsutarja
600 eggs hatched
Day 8
Chobomaki
30 eggs hatched
Day 1