Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-11-2010, 10:20 AM
earth_type_rule's Avatar
earth_type_rule Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: *random lie*
Posts: 2,309
Default Calling out a security discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Clovers View Post
This is a Reporting thread. If you want discussion, create a new topic for that.

Thank you for the continued reports.

~Jack~
Jack made a point in the report thread, so I'm now just creating the topic where we can discuss how the Moderators/Security can be improved. Some issues may include Ryan, the inactive (And unable, in my opinion) Admin.

The way the Moderators are now approaching this fudge invasion is flat out idiotic.

Not replying to the topic (Which is the only logical thing)

Let other topics pass the spam thread so it would be removed from the main board: Hiding the spam, plus it doesn't matter, the spammer would just put it back in front.

Reporting the spammer: Really? Do you Moderators really need a report when you can clearly see the main page has been flooded with fudge? That's like, for example, someone's arm is bleeding, and you tell him that his arm is bleeding. Is that really nessercary? That is certainly not nessercary, and you're just trying to be smart and a good person to explain the obvious.

The way the Moderators act now, which is sluggish, gives more joy to the spammer and he will return more frequently. Moderators should be around 24/7 to keep a watch (Therefore I am a Pro when it comes to spreading the Moderators over a world wide base) and immediately ban the fudge spammer in sight. Do not give him his fun by flooding the main page.
  #2  
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Neo Emolga's Avatar
Neo Emolga Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Reading your mind
Posts: 21,704
Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

Eh, don't take it out on the current mods. You can't expect them to be on 24/7 the way you're saying. Its not their fault Ryan isn't active. Not to mention you can't expect them to make moderating PE2K a full time job. Honestly, back when I was a mod, I treated the position too literally and really went overboard trying to address and manage virtually almost every problem PE2K ran into. Still, looking back, I think I only would have only changed a few decisions I made, but I would have at least made it less personal.

The recent spam attacks will eventually come to an end. The people that are doing it will get bored in time, as the "thrill" of polluting a forum with junk will become less and less appealing. How do I know? PE2K has been spammed like this before, even in worse quantities. To be honest, the "fudge invasion" is actually pretty mild in comparison to some of the other attacks we've had throughout the years. I've seen it, I've had to delete it, and ban the countless plethora of accounts that were doing it. The "fudge invasion" is just another chapter in it, and this too shall pass.

Reports send out an email to all moderators, hence, the whole purpose behind it is alert mods through another medium that there's a problem on PE2K (in the scenario where they may not be on PE2K, but they are checking their email, which can be a much more common occurance). The issue here though is that I remember getting HORDES of emails back when I was a mod, and considering I needed my email relatively clean for school and work-related issues, it was a bit of a problem. Trust me, very often when one person reported a problem, two or three others reported it as well. I can't even begin to imagine how many emails have been sent to every mod because of this whole thing.

I agree with you that having mods spread worldwide would help, but many of the current mods do a pretty decent job. Cut them a break, I knew I was usually able to come on every day to check up on PE2K, but I understand if they can't make the same commitment. As long as a mod comes on at least once a week and does more than just lurk around for a few minutes, there's no problem. Its the ones that haven't been on for months that honestly should consider retiring (or be demodded if it seems they're likely to never come back) so someone else can take the position and continue keeping a watch on the forum.

To be honest, I retired from being a Gmod mainly because I didn't think I would be here much longer after retiring (yes, this is the real reason), and there were times when I had to make some pretty tough calls. On top of that, I had been a mod for years, though not even half as long as some of the other mods here (namely Kenny and HKim). Since I didn't think I was going to be here much longer, I thought I would at least notify Ryan so he could put another mod in my place, rather than me going inactive, holding onto a mod spot for a very long time, and make it look like I was covering for PE2K when really I was no longer there. I didn't want to be another one of those mods that never informed Ryan that they weren't going to be here anymore. To me, that's just disrespectful to the entire forum if you don't even have the courtesy to inform the people that entrusted you with a mod position in the first place.
__________________

  #3  
Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM
earth_type_rule's Avatar
earth_type_rule Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: *random lie*
Posts: 2,309
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

Neo, this is a Moderator thing (Next to being Ryan's fault too). Spammers are everywhere, so it is a Moderator's duty to be online as often as possible (If you have a RL job, you shouldn't have become a Moderator in the first place, you need more available time).

If there would be a 24/7 watch by Moderators spread over the world, the security and cleaning of the site will be solid. It would save them a lot of mails due to so obvious reports.

And one last part, I asked for a discussion, not the story of your life. Your life has no relevance to this.
  #4  
Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Neo Emolga's Avatar
Neo Emolga Offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Reading your mind
Posts: 21,704
Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth_type_rule View Post
Neo, this is a Moderator thing (Next to being Ryan's fault too). Spammers are everywhere, so it is a Moderator's duty to be online as often as possible (If you have a RL job, you shouldn't have become a Moderator in the first place, you need more available time).

If there would be a 24/7 watch by Moderators spread over the world, the security and cleaning of the site will be solid. It would save them a lot of mails due to so obvious reports.

And one last part, I asked for a discussion, not the story of your life. Your life has no relevance to this.
I'm bringing that up as an example. I've been a mod, I know what its like and I know there are times when you can't always be around to watch things. You, on the other hand, haven't been a mod here, so how much do you really know about what goes on behind the scenes? If you were to try it for a few months, I'm sure you would understand what other mods are dealing with.

The kind of mod you're asking for, one that has no job, no life, and has an OCD complex when it comes to PE2K, doesn't exist. Every mod has school, a job, both, and/or other real life issues to handle. Considering mods don't make a dime from the work they do here, how much can you really expect out of them? If they do a good job when they're on every so often within reasonable time spans, that's all that can really be asked of them.

I think you're being too demanding. If you were a mod, how often would you be willing to come on to do the kind of things you're expecting?
__________________

  #5  
Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
earth_type_rule's Avatar
earth_type_rule Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: *random lie*
Posts: 2,309
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
I'm bringing that up as an example. I've been a mod, I know what its like and I know there are times when you can't always be around to watch things. You, on the other hand, haven't been a mod here, so how much do you really know about what goes on behind the scenes? If you were to try it for a few months, I'm sure you would understand what other mods are dealing with.

The kind of mod you're asking for, one that has no job, no life, and has an OCD complex when it comes to PE2K, doesn't exist. Every mod has school, a job, both, and/or other real life issues to handle. Considering mods don't make a dime from the work they do here, how much can you really expect out of them? If they do a good job when they're on every so often within reasonable time spans, that's all that can really be asked of them.

I think you're being too demanding. If you were a mod, how often would you be willing to come on to do the kind of things you're expecting?
You are right for your claim that I haven't been a Mod here. But I have been a Moderator on other forums, and from my experiences on those sites, these Moderators lack the correct timing to be online. This is the reason why you must make Moderators spread over the world, so that there will be a Moderator online anytime (Preferably Gmods).

And no, I do not ask for a Moderator without a life. You are assuming that. I have stated they would be best if they had no Job, but other than that, I haven't stated anything. Of course people go to school, of course they hang out with friends every now and then, but that's where the worldly spread Moderators are for! They take over when others can't be around. It is best to make a Moderator out of serious teenaged kids. They will learn how to handle responsibility and they can take that experience into real life.
  #6  
Old 08-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Tombi's Avatar
Tombi Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Blighty.
Posts: 10,337
Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth_type_rule View Post
You are right for your claim that I haven't been a Mod here. But I have been a Moderator on other forums, and from my experiences on those sites, these Moderators lack the correct timing to be online. This is the reason why you must make Moderators spread over the world, so that there will be a Moderator online anytime (Preferably Gmods).

And no, I do not ask for a Moderator without a life. You are assuming that. I have stated they would be best if they had no Job, but other than that, I haven't stated anything. Of course people go to school, of course they hang out with friends every now and then, but that's where the worldly spread Moderators are for! They take over when others can't be around. It is best to make a Moderator out of serious teenaged kids. They will learn how to handle responsibility and they can take that experience into real life.
There are moderators in different world areas, as far as I can tell, which is why the fudge people get temp'd rather briskly. I mean there's obviously guys in America, there's an Aussie, a Brit, um... stuff...

...

I don't know what I'm talking about, so carry on. o-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth_type_rule View Post
these Moderators lack the correct timing to be online.
I don't think a schedule would work. Just chucking that in there.
Imho the only way to make sure that nobody like, sees the fudge (which I assume you want, as there really isn't much else the mods can currently do except temp/perm whenever they can) is to add about fifty more staff members that constantly refresh the homepage 24/7, so as soon as a suspicious member joins, they ban them immediately so no normal member with delicate constitutions will see the naughty candy.

EDIT

There's no mod online now, for example, but there's no fudge.
__________________


Last edited by Tombi; 08-11-2010 at 02:51 PM.
  #7  
Old 08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
miyoun's Avatar
miyoun Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ♡
Posts: 3,723
Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

BECAUSE EVERY FORUM NEEDS A MOD ON 24/7 BECAUSE WELL ITS A FORUM NOBODY HAS A LIFE ON A FORUM.

If you're unhappy, then leave PE2k now. Because nothings changing soon.
__________________

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm
  #8  
Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
earth_type_rule's Avatar
earth_type_rule Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: *random lie*
Posts: 2,309
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

This schedule is only a natural schedule. They will be online after school untill they go to sleep. The next batch of active Moderators who then come out of school, will take over as the former batch will rest for their daily things for the next day. A schedule is required, it keeps the world active, it keeps us informed about nature, it keeps our Economy going. Why not use a schedule to keep the security tight?

Also, the guy behind fudge announced his security drill is over, so no fudge will come (unless a guy/girl who think he/she is funny tries again).

Tobiume: You seem to be ignorant about the whole system, but what can I say, you thought this fudge was funny and all. But, unless Ryan decides to come on and willing to change the system, nothing much can change.

Last edited by earth_type_rule; 08-11-2010 at 03:34 PM.
  #9  
Old 08-11-2010, 03:40 PM
miyoun's Avatar
miyoun Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ♡
Posts: 3,723
Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth_type_rule View Post
Tobiume: You seem to be ignorant about the whole system, but what can I say, you thought this fudge was funny and all. But, unless Ryan decides to come on and willing to change the system, nothing much can change.
You don't seem to understand that Ryan WONT come to add more mods or anything.

We have mods who do their job. They don't HAVE to remove stuff SECONDS AFTER IT APPEARS, because well, they all have lives.

And Fudge was funny because PE2k has been boring since Pidge was banned. Let the forum spice up a little instead of being all "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW NO MODS TO DELETE FUDGE 2 SECONDS AFTER ITS POSTED"
__________________

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm
  #10  
Old 08-11-2010, 03:48 PM
-Pichu Boy-'s Avatar
-Pichu Boy- Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The land of tea and fish 'n' chips
Posts: 3,959
Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

You're actually getting annoyed by the fudge? o.o

Tbh, even with a 24/7 patrol, that doesn't change the fact that there will be fudge. So what if it gets deleted in 2 minutes, or 2 hours? I don't really see how a thread titled 'FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE' in each forum is a huge distraction.

Besides, everytime I've seen fudge posted and there hasn't been a mod on, one (if not more) usually comes on within a few minutes.
__________________
URPG | ASB
MK + Trainer17 = Evil twins | MK + Leo = BFFs
  #11  
Old 08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
earth_type_rule's Avatar
earth_type_rule Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: *random lie*
Posts: 2,309
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiume View Post
You don't seem to understand that Ryan WONT come to add more mods or anything.

We have mods who do their job. They don't HAVE to remove stuff SECONDS AFTER IT APPEARS, because well, they all have lives.

And Fudge was funny because PE2k has been boring since Pidge was banned. Let the forum spice up a little instead of being all "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW NO MODS TO DELETE FUDGE 2 SECONDS AFTER ITS POSTED"
Woman, go read my post and clear that first sentance out of your peanut brain. Since I did say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
But, unless Ryan decides to come on and willing to change the system, nothing much can change.
The little sentance in between the commas would be an exceptional condition, something you don't seem to take into consideration.

And spammers like that do need to be banned and removed immediately after they made their first thread. It takes away their fun and they will be more likely to just forget about spamming.

You are now simply overreacting. You can go back to your kitchen now.

@Pichu: I am simply implying that the security of this site could be improved in many ways. The fact that Ryan is a *** and never gets online is the only issue.

Last edited by earth_type_rule; 08-11-2010 at 03:51 PM.
  #12  
Old 08-11-2010, 03:51 PM
miyoun's Avatar
miyoun Offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ♡
Posts: 3,723
Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth_type_rule View Post
Woman, go read my post and clear that first sentance out of your peanut brain.
Peanut brain? That's rather insulting.

edit: btw I don't own a kitchen or live in my own house, so quiet.

btw you spelled sentence wrong


edit: Okay. You say Ryan should get on?
He has no interest in the forum. Not only does he lack interest, but he's in college and works.
He PAYS for this forum, so if you don't like it, leave.
__________________

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm

Last edited by miyoun; 08-11-2010 at 03:55 PM.
  #13  
Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
-Pichu Boy-'s Avatar
-Pichu Boy- Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The land of tea and fish 'n' chips
Posts: 3,959
Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth_type_rule View Post
@Pichu: I am simply implying that the security of this site could be improved in many ways. The fact that Ryan is a *** and never gets online is the only issue.
So, you're bringing up what the majority of Pe2k users have known for ages? There's no doubt that if Ryan came online, then stuff would be improved.
__________________
URPG | ASB
MK + Trainer17 = Evil twins | MK + Leo = BFFs
  #14  
Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
earth_type_rule's Avatar
earth_type_rule Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: *random lie*
Posts: 2,309
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiume View Post
Peanut brain? That's rather insulting.

edit: btw I don't own a kitchen or live in my own house, so quiet.
What else can I say? Now if you don't have anything to discuss about the security, and only wish to act like an overreacting woman, then leave this thread, for you serve no purpose to the discussion.

Pichu: If Ryan came online and took this schedule into consideration and appoint someone else as Admin for maintainance reasons, then all will go better.
  #15  
Old 08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Tombi's Avatar
Tombi Offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Blighty.
Posts: 10,337
Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi
Default Re: Calling out a security discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiume View Post
And Fudge was funny because PE2k has been boring since Pidge was banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiume View Post
If you're unhappy, then leave PE2k now
@etr: So you're saying that the mods need to be... upgraded to a newer generation? I didn't think that staff worked that way, really... I mean, I didn't think they had their job for a set period of time and then were replaced, like a cycle. I thought there was a natural thing going- for example, mods slowly become a little less active, newer mods were added, older mods eventually retire (like Neo) and the newer mods become older mods, they become less active...

Basically, your reaction to Tobiume- 'you serve no purpose to this discussion'- isn't a good one, because this discussion has already reached a conclusion- nothing can be done unless Ryan is online, therefore threads like this are pointless anyway.

What did you want to achieve with this? Like Pichu said, you're pointing out what PE2K has known for years.
__________________

Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com