Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Sick Across America/Sick Around the World

Click here for documentary

It is interesting how these documentaries keep popping up (such as Sicko, Critical Condition, etc.) This is definitely one of the most important issues in America today, and what the documentary at the end seems to be the key point: how can everybody play fair when nobody ever wants to?

Sick around the World, how other countries work

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 08-04-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso
Default Re: Sick Across America/Sick Around the World

USA has a lot of government despite what people say.
Go to the Anime section

Old 08-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
USA has a lot of government despite what people say.
... who ever said that the US doesn't have a lot of government?

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
... who ever said that the US doesn't have a lot of government?
Mostly people who are ignorant of medicare, medicaid, and veteran benefits.

The reform act has arguably added more government to the mix though, via medicare and medicaid expansion. Not necessarily a bad thing either, with the insurance mandate and all that.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:38 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

IMO, there's too much redundancy in the government. We ought to consolidate a lot of these agencies.

As for Medicare/Medicaid... well, I have a wait-and-see policy on the health care reform.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 08-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
IMO, there's too much redundancy in the government. We ought to consolidate a lot of these agencies.
Wide sweeping statements make perfect sense. >.>

Quote:
As for Medicare/Medicaid... well, I have a wait-and-see policy on the health care reform.
I think medicare and medicaid look good on paper, but the problem is that the pay is just too low for physicians to bite. There really isn't anything the government CAN do about this, since doctors are free to take whoever they want to see.

The real major issue is in primary care: too little primary care physicians, and too little primary care physicians actually can justify the 30% pay cut for taking someone with medicare because of malpractice insurance and all that. Even with the reform, it's still a 23% pay cut (pay increases by 10%, making it 77% of normal fee for the service) only if they are from an underserved area.

To be honest, I think the US needs to stare heavily at Switzerland and Germany for the way they should be running their health care system. In fact, the Swiss are culturally similar to the US (gun-totting, heavily conservative, health care in shambles 10 years ago before their reform, etc.). One good method that I can think of: non-profit insurance companies (like turn them all non-profit) and drop administrative oversight from 22% to something reasonable like 7% (Germany does it between 5 and 6%, so it's not just possible, but in practice so). The problem: politicians, lobbyists, etc. would really resist non-profit insurance because they make so much money off it. :)
Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Wide sweeping statements make perfect sense. >.>
Well, as an example off the top of my head, I believe we have 16 intelligence agencies. Some of those can probably be consolidated.

Art Gallery
Old 08-14-2010, 01:14 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Well, as an example off the top of my head, I believe we have 16 intelligence agencies. Some of those can probably be consolidated.
Yes, I understand that you have examples, but in general it's not a good idea to just make a broad suggestion. There may actually be times when a lot of separate agencies working is a good thing. For example, the States themselves are their own agencies. Nobody is actually for consolidating the states into a single "super federal" government, correct?
Old 08-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

Don't know if I am barely opening my eyes or if it is a more apparent issue, but the health coverage issue is important. The reform isn't too bad either.

Fortunately, my parents were covered through their employers. UNfortunately, they weren't able to take advantage of it. They've passed now. Thank goodness for Life Insurance.

My job offers great insurance, but it's ironic that I work for the energy industry which may be suffering (imo, a whole 'nother issue altogether) and may end up losing coverage if I lose my job. I think it's safe to say that the side of the company I work for almost guarantees my job; losing it is really on me.

The documentary is very interesting. Watched it all. Didn't know some of those things were happening. But I guess it's a good thing a lot of the '08 candidates focused on health care so heavily.

Obama Nation?