Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default What is your inspiration?

Hay! How do you come up with ideas? Do they just roll? Do you watch a show? Do you listen to music? Do you play a game? How do you think of a story?

I personally listen to music for my inspiration! But what do you do?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Altrius Offline

Default Re: What is your inspiration?

My fan-fic I'm currently writing came along just by chance. I was reading up on the 5th gen pokemon, and suddenly an idea just popped into my head. So I rushed to my laptop to write it all down and before I knew it ideas were popping out left right and centre. I got it all down on MS word and after about a week of brainstorming, idea hunting I had a pretty solid storyline.

Just came like tha *click* at random :)
Old 05-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

My ideas from everywhere. Books, TV shows, video games, other fan fiction stories, music, anime, movies, and heck, even my history class has lent in some pretty good ideas.

My current fan fiction was inspired by the play Julius Caesar and then fueled by other ideas. Another fan fic I want to work on came from playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red.

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 05-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Scytherwolf Offline

I get ideas from all sorts of things-nature, music, movies, dreams, pictures-so many things make me think of stories.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
I get ideas from all sorts of things-nature, music, movies, dreams, pictures-so many things make me think of stories.
Ditto! 8D

I get my inspiration from so many places. Sometimes I'll be reading another person's stories and ideas will stem from them (I don't copy ideas, but it'll help me get inspired and I'll want to do something as good or related...or whatever), and other times it'll be things we might discuss in school, things from TV shows or movies, music, books, everyday life, etc. Sometimes when I try to think pretty deeply about the plot of one of my stories, I'll think of new things that trigger other ideas, and suddenly something new happens in the story! xD

But really, you can get ideas and inspiration from just about anywhere. Probably even by watching paint dry or dropping a spoon into a sink!

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:20 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

Well, Pokemon of course. xD

Well, for my Lunar Destinies fic, I gained most of my inspiration from the concept in PMD2 with Cresselia chasing Darkrai constantly. The idea involving the Knights of the Aura came from the movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.

Outside of the Pokemon realm, it's about the same as some of the others, mostly nature, dreams and even religious concepts. ^^ Sometimes looking at art helps as well.

Music is a wonderful muse as well, especially soundtracks from movies and games, or other programmatic music. (William Joseph rocks!) Even some pieces I played in my high school band helped out. ^^

Old 07-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Megiddo Flame Offline

My Eric Damon series has some aspects taken from various Disney movies, only much darker and Pokemon-related, and with more angst and weapons, blood, and swearing.

These aspects are taken mostly from the 90s Disney toons.

For my Digimon fic, I got the idea since they made Transformers into a live-action movie series, so I thought
"Why not Digimon?"
Old 07-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

They tend to just "roll out." Just like this one idea I had for a original horror book. =]

Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Giratina Offline

Well... a lot of places. I won't skimp out on my answers and say "Pokémon!", but for a lot of my fanfiction it just comes from unexplored concepts in the Pokémon canon thay could be expanded upon awesomely, such as the Holon region and what exactly went wrong in the Spear Pillar Incident. For original fiction, though, it's just an extension of what I'm interested in that isn't a fandom; one of the stories evolved from those 'gifted' roleplays on Neopets, whereas the other came from a couple of lines on on Wikipedia: "Lucid dreaming is the conscious perception of one's state while dreaming. In this state a person usually has control over characters and the environment of the dream as well as the dreamer's own actions within the dream."

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 07-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Megiddo Flame Offline

I am considering making "The Luxray King", LOL, and it will take place in Sinnoh.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Marshmallow Pope Offline
Banned

Well I get my ideas mostly from watching other anime, reading manga (rarely), and playing video games. It gives you ideas on how you could warp their plot and make it something original that you made. I actually have a fic I'm wanting to get up soon, but I'm still working on it.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Enkaku_Kumori Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Enkaku_Kumori

Practically everything. Whether it be music, movies, books, other people's work of fiction, my ideas come from everywhere. But usually my inspriation starts off with a "What if-?" Like, "What if this happened to one of my characters?" or "What would happen if this went differently?" And then all my other ideas just grow and branch from that one.

█████░░░
█████░░░
▁▁▁▁▁▁░
C/ ▪ |▪|░✧░
██ ◡’ノ░░░
███v█░░░
███ █░░░ This comment reminds me of a puzzle...
----
Dear Edward Cullen,
You sneak into little girls' rooms and you live forever.
How original.
-Peter Pan
----
Old 07-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Mawile-Danmaku Offline

For my original stories, I guess a whole lot of things. The idea of there being seven central elements, each with a good and bad virtue, probably comes from Magic: The Gathering. Everything else is pretty much random, except for my character Johannes, the god of Darkness. When I read JtHM for the first time:

Johnny=Johannes
I mean, black hair, black clothes, they both had a physical feature taken from them (Hair and eyes, respectivally), both very tall and skinny, killing, Johnny eats little, Johannes never eats at all, they both have little creatures that talk to them (Johnny has Nailbunny, Johannes has Velra - and to think, both are rabbits), knives are their primary weapons, both have boots with silver snaps, and both can be normal at one time, and killing someone in the most gruesome way another. The creepy part: Johannes forerunner, Nin, came before I even heard of Jhonen Vasquez!

And Brynze - the giant-robot-cat-skeleton - is inspired by the cat beast from 9.
I don't think this quite counts, but this concept:

Spoiler:
The seven gods of the elements have no spark, or life force. This is because all of them were in very great danger of their lives at one point, and the emotions that never surfaced normally broke out all at once, causing the spark to leave, and the suppresed emotions to take control. This has been called splitting. Ragnacan, the Phoenix god of Fire, had such severe Hydrophobia (fear of water) that he would not eat wood (a Phoenix's normal diet), and almost died of starvation before he split.
Mjolnir, the Griffin goddess of Thunder, was so proud of her power that she thought she was invincible, and nearly killed herself by crashing into a mountain before splitting.
Glaciesartix, the dragon god of Ice, was so vain he spent days looking at his reflection in a mirror. He would have died of starvation had he not pressed his left eye against the glass, causing it to shatter and nearly impale his brain before he split. He has been blind in that ever since.
Aerorok, the snowy owl goddess of Air, thought she could single handedly settle the very anciet rivalry between unicorns and Griffins (Griffin are part lion, and lions are the enemy of unicorns, and Griffin have an intense hatred toward horses)... with only her voice. She was almost ripped to shreds by both creatures, who were tired of her blathering, before she split.
Gramenwood, the bull goddess of Nature, had such OCD that nearly commited suicide when a tornado destroyed her precious home, and split from severe grief.
Malicsun, the cobra god of Darkness, had such a severe fear of mongooses that he hid down a dark hole and nearly froze to death before splitting.
Brynze was obsessed with killing cobras, and was almost completely smashed (killed) by the reletives of those cobras.
Johannes almost commited suicide when his eyes were plucked out by a crazed squirrel. At this time, Malicsun was stuck down a dark tunnel (he eventually got out after Johannes became Darkness god), and they needed a new Darkness god. Ragnacan, seeing that Johannes was about to split, quickly told him about the gods of the elements, which is the second requirement to become one; the first is splitting. Brynze gave Johannes bronze and amber goggles to give him his sight back.
Now, the gods only survive without their sparks because the people of Devaria (the setting in which this all takes place) believe in them, because the first ever god, the dragon Veridias, told them about a dream he had had that was destined to be true. The dream foretold about the seven gods, but not Johannes (who makes eight). Therefore, Johannes has to kill a being of his species (human) every week and steal his or her life force, or risk permanent death and tip the balance of "good" and "evil" itself, making the universe warp.

...was to explain Flippy from Happy Tree Friends, and why he does what he does.

*Faints*
Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Rawr Offline
Master Trainer

It really depends what genre I am writing. For example if I was planning to write a romance fic, usually, music inspires me a lot.

For action-type fics, I look to the big movies. Where there is so much going in, usually in a 5 minute time period, and its trying to describe everything while keeping the action high and fast-paced.