Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott
Default War Season 9 Discussion

Post your opinions, but be constructive please. I'm making some major changes to the structure to keep it interesting, and hopefully more fair and fun.

Draft: War 9 will more than likely have a draft. There aren't enough people to try a ceiling, and this way teams are more fair. If people take this the right way and enjoy the team they are on, it's possible to make new friends you wouldn't otherwise get to plot with. Should make things very interesting, and very fun. This is mostly on how you, the players, choose to look at it. Even if you're not on a team with your friends you can still enjoy opposing / beating them.

For those who were in the War with the draft, this would not have points assigned to people.

Sections: Condensed, unless we get a major activity boom. This way, instead of entering eight different writing contests, you'll only have to enter one.

Structure: Either one week or two week. In other words, either the usual one week to get things done or two weeks, to allow you more time to get one entry done.

Teams: This is the only thing I'm really worried about. See, what I'd LIKE to do is allow 3-4 chosen members to make teams as opposed to picking teams. Why? So that people don't get focused on a single team and hate being drafted to another. This way people would, I hope, be more likely to like where they go. Unlike what happened in the last War draft with Rocket.

While I agree it's a negative not to allow everyone to make a team, I don't want someone to make a team only to have no one want to be drafted into it. And let's face it, great ideas are great, but the people in the teams are more important.

Example of what I'm hoping and why I like this: Tim and Fred make teams and are well known. The draft is held, and though Cassandra would LIKE to be with Tim (her and Tim have a thing), she's fine when she's drafted to Fred's team because Fred is also a respected member of the forum.

Hopefully this will help create interesting, even teams.

BUT if no one likes it I'll re-hash it no problem.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."

Last edited by Dr Scott; 06-14-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Flammenwerfer Offline

Send a message via AIM to Flammenwerfer Send a message via MSN to Flammenwerfer Send a message via Skype™ to Flammenwerfer
Default Re: War Season 9 Discussion

Okay, I've been here to see about 3 Wars, but I've never been in any of them.

So, what I'm asking is, what do you do in a War?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:44 AM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammenwerfer View Post
Okay, I've been here to see about 3 Wars, but I've never been in any of them.

So, what I'm asking is, what do you do in a War?
I'll shorten it to the basics.

TAKE A GUN AND FIGHT EACH OTHER.

Ahem. Actually.

Join a team (or, in this case, get drafted into one), and then you enter sections that are judged.

For instance, in past Wars there has been a creative writing section. Judges give guidelines (ie 'this story must include ponies') and then you can make an entry for it. The best entries will be given points.

Er, I hope this helps. Feel free to check out past Wars, most everything you need to check out is in Groups/Clubs ^_^

Old 06-14-2010, 04:06 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

I can make that War Info thread. Shouldn't be a problem, but it will probably need to be edited and updated a lot depending on what we decide to do.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:44 AM
GreenRampage Offline

Send a message via AIM to GreenRampage

For the team thing I think you're being too nice ^^;

In my opinion you should pull a IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU CAN'T PLAY!

Also in the other tread there was a thing about dropping the humor section, which makes me sad. If the WAR is to be as high quality as everyone wants it to be, then maybe this section has a chance of surviving too D:?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Tiana_M Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Tiana_M Send a message via MSN to Tiana_M

I for one think it makes sense to have all new teams and choose three or four people who you would trust to make a good team and have them do it and kill the voting.
For one thing, it's just such a long process... and if the War's only gonna be 1-2 weeks this time I don't think it'd make sense to have such a long wait to start. For another, it creates that favoritism that made the draft such a pain last time 'cause everyone had such high hopes to be on one team or another.

It might even be a good idea to not post the teams until the draft is done so that it's a blind draft and the names can be posted with the teams so that people just look to see what team they're on and that's it, like when a teacher assigns random groups...

I think that would make things very interesting indeed.

Edit: A variation on my idea that I just thought of would be to have only the team captains and the team members chosen, post those and then have the team itself work out what kind of team it will be... I dunno if that would really work, but it's another option.

Thank you Neo!

Last edited by Tiana_M; 06-14-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Draconic_Espeon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via MSN to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Yahoo to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Skype™ to Draconic_Espeon

I really like the blind team idea. Especially Tiana's, to wait to create the team until you have all the members. That way, we don't, for example, in the RP, have a good aligned team full of people who really wanted to be evil. Plus, it would also give teams more of a chance to get to know each other, find out their strengths, and start working together. WAR takes a lot of team work, and although we are going to be throwing different people together, it's still a good idea to give everyone a chance to get used to one another.

And GreenRampage, we won't be having enough people joining to just say, "Oh, don't like it? Gtfo." It's already going to be a smaller WAR than we had in the past. And complaining people can be a lot more irritating than you would think. >>

Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

War Info thread? I'm missing something. It's early.

My thoughts on the teams that I didn't want to post until I heard more was: Team leaders make their threads maybe a week or less before the draft, but all sign-ups are closed (of course).

I do, however, like the 'team will be created after the members are chosen.' The only problem I can think of is that everyone will want to try something different, so it will be hard to get something set in stone.

So, how about the basic ideas / theme are created by the Leader a few days beforehand, but then the team itself can choose how to flesh out said team (ie alignment)?

YAY FOR POSITIVE THOUGHTS SO FAR.

And Green, I was all worried that people would be all 'I WON'T JOIN NOW!' and then War would die again.

As for the humor section ... I'd be fine with making it an event (ie a one-time thing), or at the very least make some spinoff of humor an event.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

As for the War Info thread, I was figuring that would cover the real basics of the War, how it works, what the objective is, and all that other really basic stuff that most people around here know already, but some of the new people may not.

I also like the idea of creating teams after the draft (Tiana, you’re a genius!). Team Leaders could work with their members and try to make up a team that everyone will at least be somewhat comfortable with. That way, it feels more like a combination of the best ideas everyone can come up with as opposed to just what one person wants to do. I still say keep the theme blank and let the Team Leader and their members work it out, at least the first batch of people to get drafted. This way, I think people will be happier and will be less likely to complain about which team they end up on if the team's theme hasn't even been created yet.

As far as the humor section goes, I’m still on the side of dropping it, since it is pretty cheesy and the amount of effort that goes into those entries doesn’t compare to the amount of effort that goes into the writing and art entries and so on. But, if people still want to do it, I think that in order to make it good, we need people to do wild stuff with it, rather than just trying to come up with a theme. For example, picking a theme such as “politics” is just going to result in a dozen corny Obama jokes and cruddy Photoshops. Or people will steal the images from somewhere else. However, something like “MS Paint yourself as a Pokémon” or “Photoshop this provided picture of a dog jumping off a diving board” would be a lot more interesting and probably create a lot more laughs.

Just some thoughts of mine.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Lonsie Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Lonsie

I'm really liking the idea of the team members creating the team afterward, but maybe with a general idea to start with, as otherwise things could get out of hand and too much could be left to an indecisive group.

I participated in the Humor section last year, and although it was fun, it really didn't deserve the points that it got in comparison to Writing and Art. I think some variation of it would be good, however. Perhaps it could become part of the Writing or Art? Something like a comic stories theme? That way more effort would need to be put forward.

[ BFF ~ Draconic Espeon ]
URPG | Shizen no Senshi | VPP
Old 06-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Honestly, at this point I say let the Team Leader choose. If he/she wants to wait until he/she has his/her team to make his/her team, then he/she can do that. If he/she has a great basic idea, then they can go ahead and lay the foundation down and let the team itself work out the rest.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Tiana_M Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Scott View Post
My thoughts on the teams that I didn't want to post until I heard more was: Team leaders make their threads maybe a week or less before the draft, but all sign-ups are closed (of course).

I do, however, like the 'team will be created after the members are chosen.' The only problem I can think of is that everyone will want to try something different, so it will be hard to get something set in stone.

So, how about the basic ideas / theme are created by the Leader a few days beforehand, but then the team itself can choose how to flesh out said team (ie alignment)?
Yeah, it was the bit about people on the teams wanting different things that I was afraid would make it difficult...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu
I also like the idea of creating teams after the draft (Tiana, you’re a genius!). Team Leaders could work with their members and try to make up a team that everyone will at least be somewhat comfortable with. That way, it feels more like a combination of the best ideas everyone can come up with as opposed to just what one person wants to do. I still say keep the theme blank and let the Team Leader and their members work it out, at least the first batch of people to get drafted. This way, I think people will be happier and will be less likely to complain about which team they end up on if the team's theme hasn't even been created yet.
Thanks for the compliment Neo. ^^ Though, to be honest I am not sure that most team leaders would be able to really direct their teams very well if they come to the table with nothing in mind... so perhaps it would be best to at least have two or three theme ideas the team leader likes ready ahead of time and then having the team choose one to modify and spin as much as they want would be a good idea, and this way it's a little more organized... Or else they could chose to combine one or two of them... I dunno it'd really be up to the leader and the team.

EDIT: heh just saw Scott's last post... yeah it makes a lot of sense to let each team leader choose how they want to run it.

Thank you Neo!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Tiana_M Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Meh, apologies for the double post, I just wanted to make it obvious I had said something new... I think I like this way of initiating War... the double-blind draft makes for great anticipation without all the stress... esp not even knowing who the team leaders are. I assume they've been chosen?

Thank you Neo!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 AM
pman Offline

out of curiosity, what rules will be used for shoddy, i need to design an appropriate team?
Metagross @282
Mastered @447

Last edited by pman; 06-16-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

I was wondering if there could be a music category this year. Being as there's people here who do a lot of musically inclined stuff, perhaps having this as a section will draw in more people.