Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Dubstep Offline

Send a message via AIM to Dubstep
Default Re: BP Oil Spill Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
You can always go down to Louisiana and offer to help clean up birds :/ And I highly doubt that it would be good press for BP to ask for financial aid.
Not even BP, but American citizens who are down there working and probably need resources and such. Volunteers? Or even other aid, I don't know since pretty much all I'm seeing of the spill and what's going on is bawwwwoil and attempts to get it cleaned up/stopped.

Currently most of the country is just bickering over blame like a pack of wild dogs, which is pretty counter-productive and damaging to us.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 AM
pman Offline

I juyst found a BP ad from 1999

Metagross @282
Mastered @447
Old 07-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Retro-Smasher Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I juyst found a BP ad from 1999

Lol xD. But really, BP is at a fault here. They'll be paying bigtime when this hurricane comes in. They've essentially killed off all the wildlife on the shorelines the hurricane will hit, and they should clean it all up.

Thanks Mw!
Smashing Stats
Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 AM
pman Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Smasher View Post
Lol xD. But really, BP is at a fault here. They'll be paying bigtime when this hurricane comes in. They've essentially killed off all the wildlife on the shorelines the hurricane will hit, and they should clean it all up.
I don't think they should, if we weren't demanding so much oil, thye wouldn't have been drilling there.
Metagross @282
Mastered @447
Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Master Zorua Offline

Bill Clinton made a good point. When stuff like this happens, first you need to deal with the problem directly and employ all available means. Next, you give aid to those affected to try an minimize collateral damage. After all that's done, then you start pointing the fingers and let those responsible face justice. With douche-bag Obama, he's been pointing fingers and not giving any orders to the National Guard which is his responsibility as Commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces, and this leak has gone on for HOW long now? To sum things up, I leave with this picture:
Old 07-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

What can he tell the National Guard to do? "Clean up the oil using your hands"? The US government just doesn't have the capacity to handle an oil spill of this size... probably no government in the world does. Obama may have some fault in his actions, but blaming the oil spill on him seems to me to be just the reflexive response of people who don't like the President.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

The comedic populous took this one very seriously:

Quote:
What can he tell the National Guard to do? "Clean up the oil using your hands"? The US government just doesn't have the capacity to handle an oil spill of this size... probably no government in the world does. Obama may have some fault in his actions, but blaming the oil spill on him seems to me to be just the reflexive response of people who don't like the President.
REALLY? Than what does the Government have the capacity for? What are they there for? Apparently the people who elected Obama as our president wanted the Government to take care of things. Well, so far, it seems that the Government doesn't give a damn about the environment, the BP oil spill, or the families out on the shores who live by fishing, the families of the workers of the oil rig. It seems the Government has the "capacity" as you call it, to handle a WHOLE WAR but they can't handle an oil spill? That is what you are essentially saying.

I fault BP, but I also fault the Government for not helping as much as they should, ahem... assuming that they actually care.

Merged. Don't do it next time.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 07-08-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
REALLY? Than what does the Government have the capacity for? What are they there for? Apparently the people who elected Obama as our president wanted the Government to take care of things. Well, so far, it seems that the Government doesn't give a damn about the environment, the BP oil spill, or the families out on the shores who live by fishing, the families of the workers of the oil rig. It seems the Government has the "capacity" as you call it, to handle a WHOLE WAR but they can't handle an oil spill? That is what you are essentially saying.

I fault BP, but I also fault the Government for not helping as much as they should, ahem... assuming that they actually care.
1. Don't double post, especially when one of your posts is nothing but a picture that has already been posted in the thread.

2. Obama isn't God. He can't wave his hands and make the spill go away. Just because he should, just because he wants to, doesn't mean he can. Equating a war with an oil spill just shows how woefully ignorant you are. This isn't something you can blame a President for; prior to the spill, Obama probably knew as little about deep ocean drilling as a Virginia redneck. No President could do any better in his stead.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."

Last edited by Lusankya; 07-07-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Obama isn't God. He can't wave his hands and make the spill go away. Just because he should, just because he wants to, doesn't mean he can. Equating a war with an oil spill just shows how woefully ignorant you are. This isn't something you can blame a President for; prior to the spill, Obama probably knew as little about deep ocean drilling as a Virginia redneck. No President could do any better in his stead.
Sure, we can't blame Obama for the spill directly, but in my opinion, his lack of remedial action to the situation isn't helping the situation get better. Many people blame Bush for 9/11 also, but I think its a matter of being dissatisfied with the amount and/or the nature of remedial action that was taken. I honestly think more could have been done on Obama's part directly after the spill had happened and more could be done right now as the situation only continues to get worse.

The other issue is BP's efforts to dodge around directly plugging up the site where the oil is coming out. Instead, it appears they're trying more toward collecting what they can for the money's sake instead of taking decisive action to stop an already devastating natural disaster from getting worse.

And the question is what should be happening right now?

The site where the oil is coming up should be immediately plugged (with something a lot more intelligent, practical, and dependable than golf balls), and BP should be solely responsible to pay for all damages done. If it is unable to do so, then all of BP's assets should be liquidized for cash, and that should be used to pay for the damages. And it should continue down the line through BP's assets and shareholders until all of the damages (both present and future) are covered, or BP simply doesn't have another penny left to pay.

The Great BP Coffee Spill
^ A funny parody that really shows how inane the whole situation has become.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Skylands Offline

I think BP should squeeze the pipe using hydraulics and robots (to position). That will stop the flow to where the end can be welded then re-drill another well.

http://www.regentools.com/feature.htm

It is a very easily duplicated, reliable, surface controlled application it would simply need to be cycled as it was submerged to prevent a blowout in the seals from the pressure change as well as the fluid being heated.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:47 PM
SoulSilver Offline

Who lived in a pineapple under the sea? SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS
Who died the the oil spill because of BP? SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS-

Okay sorry, but thats all I can think about whenever I see 'OIL SPILL' Or 'BP' now. xD.

Eevee - Nickname: Kemnebi
He's a very curious Male. :)

Hatches @50
Umbreon @155
Mastered @335

(Jess)
- Not paired with anyone. PM if you'd like to be paired with me. (I'm not too bothered.) -
Old 07-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylands View Post
I think BP should squeeze the pipe using hydraulics and robots (to position). That will stop the flow to where the end can be welded then re-drill another well.

http://www.regentools.com/feature.htm

It is a very easily duplicated, reliable, surface controlled application it would simply need to be cycled as it was submerged to prevent a blowout in the seals from the pressure change as well as the fluid being heated.
Nothing is easy a mile under the ocean :/ And really, I think it's rather silly for us to be suggesting solutions. Unless you're an oil rig engineer and have been studying this scenario for the past month, I don't think you have much qualification to suggest a solution...

Art Gallery
Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

With any luck that new ship (I think from Japan) will be able to help speed up cleaning the ocean. That being said, it will do little until they actually stop the well from dumping more into it...Or would that be, up to it? As it is, BP is really slacking in terms of sealing the problem I realize it's difficult, but they seem to not be taking the situation seriously.

Heck, if I was them I'd connect a bunch of pipes to the well and once on the surface, stick a big ol' cork in it. Practical? Maybe not, but heck, at this point any solution is welcome.

Also...

This is a rather humorous take on the Oil Ocean Zone from Sonic 2. Hope this brightens up your day! <3

P.S. If this was posted before, I don't know. I didn't read the rest of the article XD
Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 AM
Mystogan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

I know I'm a young adult but it pains me to see this poster >_<. This oil spill is a true disaster and I hope things get better.

Last edited by Mystogan; 07-12-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:20 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Sure, we can't blame Obama for the spill directly, but in my opinion, his lack of remedial action to the situation isn't helping the situation get better. Many people blame Bush for 9/11 also, but I think its a matter of being dissatisfied with the amount and/or the nature of remedial action that was taken. I honestly think more could have been done on Obama's part directly after the spill had happened and more could be done right now as the situation only continues to get worse.
I'd just like to point out that no one blames Bush for 9/11 because of remedial action, they blame Bush because we had intelligence that Al Qaeda was going to attack soon and it happened anyway. On the other hand, no one except BP, Transocean and the workers on the Deepwater Horizon could have seen this coming, and BP executives, despite having been warned that there were problems with the rig and despite having been told that the pumping fluid wasn't heavy enough proceeded as usual, hence the blame for the spill itself is completely and totally their fault.

A more apt comparison would be the response to Hurricane Katrina, in which case I would not only agree that Obama dropped the ball, from a certain perspective he dropped it even harder. In his position, I (an 18 year old who's only just about to start college and has literally only his video gaming club for leadership experience-once, when the actual president was sick) would have immediately put out a call for every skimmer within my grasp and several within the grasps of other countries to get to the Gulf and start collecting as much of the oil as possible and immediately gotten together a team of experts who know far more about it than I do. He got the latter done, albeit not as quickly as he should have, but I'm still waiting to see a unified effort to take care of the oil out on the water as opposed to just when it's hitting the land.

Quote:
The site where the oil is coming up should be immediately plugged (with something a lot more intelligent, practical, and dependable than golf balls), and BP should be solely responsible to pay for all damages done.
Care to elaborate on how they're going to do that? Because they've tried like ten different ways and none of them have worked.

Quote:
If it is unable to do so, then all of BP's assets should be liquidized for cash, and that should be used to pay for the damages. And it should continue down the line through BP's assets and shareholders until all of the damages (both present and future) are covered, or BP simply doesn't have another penny left to pay.
Hah hah hah hah hah... oh, you're serious? Yeah, I'd like to see BP go ahead and agree to that. I'd also like to see the US government try to make them... or better yet, the British government, since that's who they're under the jurisdiction of.