Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: BP Oil Spill Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Admittedly other alternatives also run the same risk. Nuclear power? Chernobyl. Hydroelectric? The damming rapes the area, and if mismanaged you'd have an artificial flood on your hands. Safer types like wind and solar power don't generate nearly enough power, so you're screwed anyway.
We should be working on developing wind and solar so that they do generate enough power, that's the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
BP is stupid. The only thing I am worried about is the sea and its wildlife.

Heartbreaking.
Sixto, you made my heart cry.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Wind and solar are far too limited to solve the problem, they can only be part of a solution. There is NOTHING wrong with nuclear power; the stigma on it is completely unjustified. Chernobyl was a disaster waiting to happen from the very start; the Soviets skipped practically every safety measure that reactors of their time or now were supposed to have. Meanwhile, technology has only improved so that nuclear energy is probably as safe or safer than fossil fuels. Hell, France gets 80% of its power from nuclear. There's nothing wrong with it.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 06-13-2010, 03:28 AM
Linoone Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Linoone Send a message via Yahoo to Linoone

I live in LA, where the oil is right on the coast.. :[

My mom talked to someone about it and they said, "We should stop using gas anyway and convert to fossil fuel."

-_-

aim: Linoone1337
Old 06-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoone View Post
I live in LA, where the oil is right on the coast.. :[

My mom talked to someone about it and they said, "We should stop using gas anyway and convert to fossil fuel."

-_-
Lmao. Doesn't look good for America, does it?

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Lmao. Doesn't look good for America, does it?
No it doesn't.

Bleh the animals D:

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 06-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Lonsie Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Lonsie

To lighten the mood.

Seriously, though, something is very wrong with these people. If money is everything for them, things like this are bound to happen. Social responsibility needs to be taken, especially in an unstable industry such as this. If they're going to keep pumping the ocean, what will happen when it dries up? Oil dependency is crazy. We need to find a way off this finite resource before it's too late.

[ BFF ~ Draconic Espeon ]
URPG | Shizen no Senshi | VPP
Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Wind and solar are far too limited to solve the problem, they can only be part of a solution. There is NOTHING wrong with nuclear power; the stigma on it is completely unjustified. Chernobyl was a disaster waiting to happen from the very start; the Soviets skipped practically every safety measure that reactors of their time or now were supposed to have. Meanwhile, technology has only improved so that nuclear energy is probably as safe or safer than fossil fuels. Hell, France gets 80% of its power from nuclear. There's nothing wrong with it.
The problem with nuclear is that it isn't green. It's far more abundant to be sure, but there's still the very large problem of nuclear waste that needs to be disposed of. Right now the only way anyone has thought of to do it has either been dump it in a river or bury it reeeeally deep, which also has the problem of us eventually running out of space as well as the fact of nuclear radiation seeping into the earth, which is, you know, not good. Figure out how to properly deal with nuclear waste and I'll agree with you.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:08 AM
Haze Offline

Send a message via AIM to Haze

Perhaps BP is a terrorist organization funded by the British government and this oil spill was an attempt to sabotage the United States.

Or not
Old 06-15-2010, 03:41 AM
Puh-tree-cee-oh Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
Perhaps BP is a terrorist organization funded by the British government and this oil spill was an attempt to sabotage the United States.

Or not
I'm guessing probably not. But there's always the possibility :)

IGN: Patrick FC: 1849 4621 3425
Old 06-15-2010, 04:01 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post

Or not
... excuse me, I need to blog something real quick.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:10 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
The problem with nuclear is that it isn't green. It's far more abundant to be sure, but there's still the very large problem of nuclear waste that needs to be disposed of. Right now the only way anyone has thought of to do it has either been dump it in a river or bury it reeeeally deep, which also has the problem of us eventually running out of space as well as the fact of nuclear radiation seeping into the earth, which is, you know, not good. Figure out how to properly deal with nuclear waste and I'll agree with you.
Run out of space? Lol. The amount of nuclear waste that is produced from a reactor is TINY compared with the amount of pollution poured out from an equivalent amount (energy-production wise) of fossil fuels. Not to mention that spent nuclear fuel rods can actually be recycled (atm the process is more expensive than buying new rods though, so nobody in the US does it). Nuclear waste is not the kind of everything-around-it-dies thing pop culture has portrayed it to be. Properly disposed of in the ground, the amount of radiation that will actually affect anything living is minuscule, far less than the natural radiation you receive from the sun, space, or just natural radioactive materials surrounding you. Heck, living nearby a properly-managed nuclear waste disposal dump is probably safer than breathing in the air in New York City. Nuclear power plant workers receive less radiation than airplane pilots who fly the high-altitude New York-Tokyo route. The dangers of nuclear power have been grossly exaggerated.

Quote:

Or not
Well you know what that means.

Time to nuke London.

Art Gallery

Last edited by Lusankya; 06-15-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:10 AM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420

if you ask me I think BP will sell the consumer all the waterdown ocean water petro for higher price,(that they have been siphoning) to cover for the .. oopsy doopsy ...

Pokérus Empire
Old 06-15-2010, 04:19 AM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to spartan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Send it off into space. There problem solved. xD
My URPG Stats
MyBio

If you want a free http://www.lockerz.com/ please PM me with your email.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Dubstep Offline

Send a message via AIM to Dubstep

I'm more concerned that there are no visible ways (to me, anyway) for the public to help. It's understandable if they don't want civilians rushing in there and spraying pelicans with Febreeze, but I haven't seen much campaigning for aid--financial or otherwise--though I'm sure it's needed. Just blame-slinging.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep View Post
I'm more concerned that there are no visible ways (to me, anyway) for the public to help. It's understandable if they don't want civilians rushing in there and spraying pelicans with Febreeze, but I haven't seen much campaigning for aid--financial or otherwise--though I'm sure it's needed. Just blame-slinging.
You can always go down to Louisiana and offer to help clean up birds :/ And I highly doubt that it would be good press for BP to ask for financial aid.

Art Gallery