Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default BP Oil Spill Crisis

In an attempt to get away from the religion vs science threads, I thought I'd bring up something that probably should have been highlighted a while ago.

Unfortunately, after over a month, the situation in the Gulf of Mexico only continues to grow worse after BP's oil spill has even grown worse than the Valdez disaster in Alaska. Meanwhile, their recent "Top Kill" attempt only had minimal success at slowing down the leak. Right now, there are over 21 million gallons that have leaked, and that number on continues to rise.

BP Oil Spill Live Feed

In my opinion, considering what BP is doing and how poorly they're handling the situation, I for one would not miss them if they go completely under because of this. This isn't the first time BP has spilled oil (they spilled over a million gallons up in Alaska), and I think this is a clear example of a company that completely lacks ethics and social responsibility.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Altrius Offline

Default Re: BP Oil Spill Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
In an attempt to get away from the religion vs science threads, I thought I'd bring up something that probably should have been highlighted a while ago.

Unfortunately, after over a month, the situation in the Gulf of Mexico only continues to grow worse after BP's oil spill has even grown worse than the Valdez disaster in Alaska. Meanwhile, their recent "Top Kill" attempt only had minimal success at slowing down the leak. Right now, there are over 21 million gallons that have leaked, and that number on continues to rise.

BP Oil Spill Live Feed

In my opinion, considering what BP is doing and how poorly they're handling the situation, I for one would not miss them if they go completely under because of this. This isn't the first time BP has spilled oil (they spilled over a million gallons up in Alaska), and I think this is a clear example of a company that completely lacks ethics and social responsibility.

Agree wholeheartedly. Not only that, but the fact that 21 million gallons of oil is an incredible amount of oil to lose in a world where we are fast losing oil. I'm going to take a wild guess that thats a good year or two's worth thats just been lost because of incompetence. Granted, it might not be my place to say, but the ideas they have come up with to stop the flow are rubbish.

Not only that, but the enviromental damage that has been caused will be catastrophic too. All because of a stupid human blunder. Meh.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Dr Robotnik Offline

My only thought is why these idiots weren't prepared for something like this. I mean, really, aren't there safety requirements you have to pass before you start drilling for oil? From what I hear, there are, but still, in all honesty, they should have been prepared for something like this to happen. I agree, I really hope BP goes under for this.

EDIT: Also, I'm hoping they can get that thing plugged up before we end up seeing oil floating in the waters around South Carolina.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrius View Post

Agree wholeheartedly. Not only that, but the fact that 21 million gallons of oil is an incredible amount of oil to lose in a world where we are fast losing oil. I'm going to take a wild guess that thats a good year or two's worth thats just been lost because of incompetence. Granted, it might not be my place to say, but the ideas they have come up with to stop the flow are rubbish.

Not only that, but the enviromental damage that has been caused will be catastrophic too. All because of a stupid human blunder. Meh.
The sad irony is the fact BP claims to be "beyond petroleum" when this shows that they can't even do petroleum right. Meanwhile, it seems like they're far more concerned with saving themselves than trying to address the problem and help compensate for the massive amount of damage both to the environment and the livelihood of people that have been affected in Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida. And the fact they're throwing a measly $5,000 at anyone affected by spill BUT with the restriction that they can't sue is simply deplorable.

Seriously, may BP go the way of Enron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal sonic View Post
My only thought is why these idiots weren't prepared for something like this. I mean, really, aren't there safety requirements you have to pass before you start drilling for oil? From what I hear, there are, but still, in all honesty, they should have been prepared for something like this to happen. I agree, I really hope BP goes under for this.

EDIT: Also, I'm hoping they can get that thing plugged up before we end up seeing oil floating in the waters around South Carolina.
They weren't prepared for anything, that's the problem. They weren't prepared in Alaska and they weren't prepared here when they should have been. Instead, they screwed up and miles and miles of US coastline is becoming an environmental disaster.

And I hate to say it, but they're predicting its going to go all the way up the eastern coastline if they don't stop it soon.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Dr Robotnik Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
And I hate to say it, but they're predicting its going to go all the way up the eastern coastline if they don't stop it soon.
Which is another reason why I'm enraged at these colossal (I have a feeling I misspelled that...) idiots! From what I've heard, all BP has done is point fingers and say 'It's their fault' about the two other companies that built the platform/did the drilling (if I remember right). Like you said, they should have been prepared for something like this.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Ayotui

ok so first time i guess it could have been an honest mistake, or just a slip up whatever. people make mistakes but i would have guessed bp would have done their best to avoid another spill.

i just hope they can clean it up in alteast a 3 months, which is the time it should take to clean up that mess.

URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
lord khajmer (20:38:29): Bubble KO gg
Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Fierce Deity Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to Fierce Deity Send a message via MSN to Fierce Deity Send a message via Skype™ to Fierce Deity

I heard if it sinks down deep enough it could get caught up in the sea currents and get carried around the world. Also, will this affect drinking water, too? :9 If it will then BP just trolled us.

WAR XI Team: .
Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrius View Post

Nah, the amount is insignificant. BP refined an average of 100 million gallons of oil per day in 2009 (taken from their website). 21 million gallons of oil is enough to run the US for about half an hour. The environmental damage is what's going to cost them.

Quote:
Also, will this affect drinking water, too? :9 If it will then BP just trolled us.
Not unless you get your drinking water from the Gulf of Mexico.

(nobody does)

Quote:
I mean, really, aren't there safety requirements you have to pass before you start drilling for oil?
There is evidence that suggests that BP had forgoed some safety measures in an attempt to rush the derrick to the next well, as it was already behind schedule.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 06-03-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:47 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Anyone who says that it was an honest mistake or an accident, listen closely. One of the survivors from the initial explosion, a head engineer on the rig, issued a report to the federal government of a discussion that took place between executives from BP and from the rig's owner company (don't remember the name atm). The discussion became an argument, specifically about problems with the rig and the kind of fluid to use in the pumping process. BP insisted that the problems were to be ignored, demanded that seawater was to be used instead of heavier stuff that would have kept the methane bubble that caused the explosion down, and pumping went on. When did this take place? Less than twelve hours before the explosion.

Ladies and gentlemen, please begin revving your pitchforks. I feel that a good angry mob is in order.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Anyone who says that it was an honest mistake or an accident, listen closely. One of the survivors from the initial explosion, a head engineer on the rig, issued a report to the federal government of a discussion that took place between executives from BP and from the rig's owner company (don't remember the name atm). The discussion became an argument, specifically about problems with the rig and the kind of fluid to use in the pumping process. BP insisted that the problems were to be ignored, demanded that seawater was to be used instead of heavier stuff that would have kept the methane bubble that caused the explosion down, and pumping went on. When did this take place? Less than twelve hours before the explosion.

Ladies and gentlemen, please begin revving your pitchforks. I feel that a good angry mob is in order.
I also read in my local paper a couple of days back that the employees could have shut down the pump while they were evacuating and avoided the whole mess, but in order to shut down the pump you needed to get approval from the higher-ups, so he sent a emergency message to the higher-ups. They never sent an order back down even after half an hour, and when someone finally decided to screw the orders the fire already destroyed the electronic system to shut it down.

Had my chainsaw rigged for a couple of days already. :P

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 06-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post

Well duh, accidents like this don't happen without a major screwup somewhere.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 06-05-2010, 03:41 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Well duh, accidents like this don't happen without a major screwup somewhere.
Screw up isn't quite the phrase I'd use. I'd lean more towards "gross neglect and indifference."
Old 06-05-2010, 03:55 AM
AmericanTreeFrog Offline

Send a message via AIM to AmericanTreeFrog

This is why we should attempt to move away from oil with more vigor than we are.

The consequences of the spill will be felt in the marshlands for a long time, money cannot fix that.

In my opinion there were mistakes on many levels, both in government in the extent of their negligent oversight and in terms of BP in its negligence.

Other URPG site (more active): http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net
Old 06-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Admittedly other alternatives also run the same risk. Nuclear power? Chernobyl. Hydroelectric? The damming rapes the area, and if mismanaged you'd have an artificial flood on your hands. Safer types like wind and solar power don't generate nearly enough power, so you're screwed anyway.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 06-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

BP is stupid. The only thing I am worried about is the sea and its wildlife.

Heartbreaking.