Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology
Default Craig Venter creates the first man-made life-form

Most of you have probably seen this on the news somewhere.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...etic-life-form
  • Positives:
  • Lots of solutions to our worlds problems, such as:
  • Global Warming
  • Pollution
  • Disease (Cancer and HIV especially)
  • Food
  • Negatives:
  • Those religious critics
  • We can create whatever we want now. Terrorists can get bioweapons of mass destruction if they got hold of this technology.

Opinions?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Ayotui
Default Re: Craig Venter creates the first man-made life-form

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJello View Post
Most of you have probably seen this on the news somewhere.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...etic-life-form
  • Positives:
  • Lots of solutions to our worlds problems, such as:
  • Global Warming
  • Pollution
  • Disease (Cancer and HIV especially)
  • Food
  • Negatives:
  • Those religious critics
  • We can create whatever we want now. Terrorists can get bioweapons of mass destruction if they got hold of this technology.

Opinions?
i doubt this is gonna mean anything. cause as we all know nature has avolved through millions of year of evolution and trial and error.

and that cell is most likely not gonna stand a chance if let out into the real world. lets face it people; we will never be able to create artificial life that can stand a chance outside a completely steril box.

which means no cure for cancer and no terrorist bioweapons

edit: it could be an innovation in genetics, but as far as biology is concerned, its not really important.

URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
lord khajmer (20:38:29): Bubble KO gg

Last edited by Ayotui; 05-20-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Haze Offline

Send a message via AIM to Haze

The Reapers are coming the Reapers are coming
Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
sheepskinfuton Offline

Send a message via AIM to sheepskinfuton

Okay, as cool and innovative as this is, the thought that someone managed to do this terrifies me a little.

supermonkey07 (11:45:01 PM): lol
(11:45:03 PM): silly sheep
(11:45:10 PM): trying to act like people do
(11:45:14 PM): talk the people talk
(11:45:16 PM): eat the people food
(11:45:20 PM): but you're just a sheep
[URPG] [Links]
Old 05-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotui View Post
i doubt this is gonna mean anything. cause as we all know nature has avolved through millions of year of evolution and trial and error.

and that cell is most likely not gonna stand a chance if let out into the real world. lets face it people; we will never be able to create artificial life that can stand a chance outside a completely steril box.

which means no cure for cancer and no terrorist bioweapons

edit: it could be an innovation in genetics, but as far as biology is concerned, its not really important.
Uh, what are you on? Scientists could easily create a supervirus/bacterium that would wipe out all humankind. Such a feat is entirely within the capabilities of modern biology. I hope you get some common sense and stop making baseless statements off the top of your head.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 05-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Dubstep Offline

Send a message via AIM to Dubstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepskinfuton View Post
Okay, as cool and innovative as this is, the thought that someone managed to do this terrifies me a little.
My thoughts, pretty much. As useful as these kind of developments can be, they could also bring a lot of trouble. Then again, it's not like we can just sit and refuse to progress and grow.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Uh, what are you on? Scientists could easily create a supervirus/bacterium that would wipe out all humankind. Such a feat is entirely within the capabilities of modern biology. I hope you get some common sense and stop making baseless statements off the top of your head.
im not saying thats impossible, im just saying artificial life ATM cannot survive in the outside world, which means that although its amazing, greg's bacteria(?) is practically useless.

its might be usefull in the future but right now its just a novelty without great importance.

URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
Old 05-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Ayotui - artificial life can survive outside the lab. One of the complaints highlighted in the article was actually that it would get out into the environment and have negative effects.

I know scientists have done similar things before using artificial DNA. They made viruses though, so I guess they're not technically living. It is pretty scary considering what people can do with the information. There is a huge potential for biological warfare. Personally I find it exciting considering that's the type of field I'm hoping to end up in.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
im not saying thats impossible, im just saying artificial life ATM cannot survive in the outside world, which means that although its amazing, greg's bacteria(?) is practically useless.

its might be usefull in the future but right now its just a novelty without great importance.
That's like saying to the person who invented the steam engine, "it's just a novelty without great importance."

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
That's like saying to the person who invented the steam engine, "it's just a novelty without great importance."
ok, fine lets go with your case here. when the steam enginge was invented, it was pretty useless, but eventually it got better and better until it became very useful.

its the same with this, atm its useless. one day it might be very useful.

URPG VPP
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
ok, fine lets go with your case here. when the steam enginge was invented, it was pretty useless, but eventually it got better and better until it became very useful.

its the same with this, atm its useless. one day it might be very useful.
But it was of monumental importance. You're completely missing the point.

Art Gallery
Old 05-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

Peronally, I want all the developments of this to be stopped. The risks are far too great.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJello View Post
Peronally, I want all the developments of this to be stopped. The risks are far too great.
Like what?

As for the terrorists, they can get bioweapons far more easily using lower-tech methods that would be just as lethal.

Art Gallery
Old 05-22-2010, 05:22 AM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso

so artificial life doesn't necessarily have to mean robots or machines. Interesting. So this would be classified as biological artificial life?
Go to the Anime section

Old 05-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Artificial life is exactly what it sounds like >.> Artificial life has never really meant machines or robots, since few people consider those things to be "alive". Though, we can get into the whole "Can robots be sapient" thing once we create an eerily-human robot.

Art Gallery