Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: Any NaNoWriMo Ideas Yet?

Well, trying to get 50,000 words in a single month is really tricky business. Its definitely possible, but it pretty much demands that you either write quite a bit every day, or you play a massive amount of catch-up the following day if you happen to miss one. Usually I don't write at this kind of rate, so pumping up the speed like this is pretty challenging, and doesn't give you any time to blow it off at all. Hitting Writer's Block on this is extremely deadly, I imagine.

Right now, I feel like I've written a ton, yet I'm still considered a few thousand words behind schedule, and I really don't like that feeling. Apparently, by the end of Sunday, you should have at least 11,669 words to be considered "caught up." I've only got 8,400 at the moment, so I really need to keep plugging away at this.

But in truth, its fun, and definitely thrusts you into full speed literary action. I wonder how everyone else is doing here with it.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:49 AM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

I'm not doing the exact NaNoWriMo challenge, but I do plan on finishing my own novel of 145,000 words by American Thanksgiving.

Just two more chapters... so close...

Hork-Bajir . . . . Taxxon
Old 11-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

Hmm, looks like a bunch of people are trying this. May as well join you all. Should be fun to see how far everyone gets.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 11-09-2010, 10:11 PM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

Just wrote 5,000 words today :D

Well, 4,771, actually...

I'm really, really close to finishing my novel-- just one more chapter. If all goes well, I'll be done by tomorrow!

Edit: I FINISHED MY NOVEL!!!

I'm in a state of shock... it's been a year and a half of hard work and I'm DONE... all 140,070 words

...I should shorten it by 70 words.

Last edited by WatchMeBeQuieter; 11-10-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:08 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMeBeQuieter View Post
Just wrote 5,000 words today :D

Well, 4,771, actually...

I'm really, really close to finishing my novel-- just one more chapter. If all goes well, I'll be done by tomorrow!

Edit: I FINISHED MY NOVEL!!!

I'm in a state of shock... it's been a year and a half of hard work and I'm DONE... all 140,070 words

...I should shorten it by 70 words.
Wow, that's a heck of a lot. Nice job, hopefully you can get it published.

As for my NaNoWriMo, its 17,185 words right now, just about on track. I don't think I'll try to publish it, its mainly just a driver to challenge myself and see how far I can go with it.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 AM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Wow, that's a heck of a lot. Nice job, hopefully you can get it published.

As for my NaNoWriMo, its 17,185 words right now, just about on track. I don't think I'll try to publish it, its mainly just a driver to challenge myself and see how far I can go with it.
What's your novel about? And thanks! I've already looked into copyrighting the title. :P

Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

I'm stuck at roughly 13,000 words. I'm hoping to get up to 25,000 over the weekend or something, maybe do a huge chunk tomorrow. I just didn't know what to do at this part of the story, and I'm going to have to ad lib for now.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:27 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
What's your novel about? And thanks! I've already looked into copyrighting the title. :P
Its about a mercenary named Rykan, contracted by Heaven to stop a league of technologically advanced demons from destroying living words. They've already destroyed 31 worlds, nine of which Rykan has tried to fight them on only to end up dying. As the story goes on, he arrives in a tenth world, having been "reborn" upon it as a newborn child. This world, however, mostly consists of civilized bipedal animals, unlike the other ones that had humans involved. As before, he's kept his identity a secret. Before, his powers were locked away to hide him from the demons, but now, he's holding nothing back.

I've been writing it in third person perspective, which is typically something I don't usually do. Only problem is, I find it hard to get into the character's mindset with a third person standpoint. With first person, discoveries are much more interesting, personal reflections are much more easily captured, and you don't have this annoying flip-flopping between characters going on.

But ah, I've giving it a shot anyway, just to see how well I do with it. But I can honestly say, I have way more fun when its in first person viewpoint.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:40 AM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

Wow, that sounds really interesting. What kind of powers does Rykan have?

It's interesting that you find third-person difficult: I actually find first-person to be much more difficult because I can never reveal things in the ways that I want to... I tried writing a short story in first-person once, but I gave up pretty quickly because it was too frustrating.

My writing tends to be very dialogue-heavy, so characters develop fairly well even in the third-person limited narrative that I use. I also write the thoughts of the main character in italics on occasion, which is almost first-person...?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Wow, that sounds really interesting. What kind of powers does Rykan have?

It's interesting that you find third-person difficult: I actually find first-person to be much more difficult because I can never reveal things in the ways that I want to... I tried writing a short story in first-person once, but I gave up pretty quickly because it was too frustrating.

My writing tends to be very dialogue-heavy, so characters develop fairly well even in the third-person limited narrative that I use. I also write the thoughts of the main character in italics on occasion, which is almost first-person...?
He's got mostly summoning and psychic-like powers. For one thing, I've been imagining some pretty epic battles where only him and this white dragon he rides are fighting alone against ridiculous hordes of overwhelming enemies. Its just building to that point has been pretty hard.

I can see where third person is appreciated when you have a lot of central characters all with important roles, but here, it just seems like the main character I have is really the only central one I want to focus on. Besides his white dragon, all the other characters really don't have major roles. I don't want to focus on the enemies he's about to fight either because I'd rather keep them enigmatic. When I wrote Trial of Juno, no one had a clue about what Juno was about to face next, and it kept the story exciting. All they had to go by was Juno's intuition, and when the final challenge came around, the element of surprise and discovery had much more value to it. If I had done it all in third person and everyone knew exactly what was coming at the end, these elements would have been lost, and the ending probably wouldn't have been as interesting and probably might have been much more predictable as well.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. The other thing is that first person allows you to really draw out one character in particular, and it allows you to set yourself in their position. With third person, it just feels like no one character is really all that important.

So in the end, I think they both have their advantages and their disadvantages.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 PM
WatchMeBeQuieter Offline
Elite Trainer

I agree with you there. There are good reasons to write in either narrative, but both have their flaws as well. However, I find that the plot isn't always obvious with third person, even if first person allows for more suspense: my novel is full of plot twists because I don't reveal anything that the main character doesn't know. If the main character doesn't know the name of a person, I will refer to him as "the man" or "the figure" until the character's name is revealed.

So I guess I write in third-person limited in that sense, which is almost like a nix between first and third person. It's true that third-person omniscient, which tells the reader everything that happens to everyone, tends to make for a very predictable story without any twists, so I think that's the particular branch of third person that you're referring to. But I could be wrong.

Okay that post was completely all over the place. Sorry about that

Old 11-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Hate to say it, but I'm officially dropping this.

For one thing, I've never written like this for a story. I fell behind by two days and now I've probably got to cram out 6,000 words to make up for it, and I have a feeling there's no way I can do that without cramming out total, uninspired garbage.

To me, I'm reading back at what I've written so far and the whole story I've created seems horribly rushed. I know that's kind of the point of NaNoWriMo, but to me, you just can't rush perfection (or even decent quality for that matter), and if you're just pounding in words simply to meet some deadline, there's really nothing much you're gaining from this, nor are you creating your best work, nor are you creating something of quality that someone will want to read. Or at least that's the impression I'm getting from what I've been writing. Also, some of these challenges they have are ridiculous. Switch genres every chapter? What book out there actually does that effectively? How can you go from horror to action to comedy to romance to so on without ending up with something that's totally ridiculous?

Simply put, it went from being an interesting challenge just toward becoming some annoying drudgery that honestly, I just don't have the time and patience for. And I'll admit, I have homework assignments that aren't even half as bad as trying to do this.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Aww, I'm sorry you didn't have any fun, Neo. D: Maybe next year?

Anyway, I should probably be writing right now...

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Trent Reznor Offline

Send a message via AIM to Trent Reznor Send a message via MSN to Trent Reznor Send a message via Skype™ to Trent Reznor

Nothing this year, but I've started something regardless.

The story is about a New Yorker named Frank who wakes up in the morning and watches on the TV that the world will soon end. Confusion and corruption ensues. I don't want to reveal anything else, and I know that sounds like a horrible story that has been attempted many times. Trust me, it'll be good.