Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Marth Offline

Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth
Default Re: The National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleon View Post

Sounds good to me. Go ahead and do that, then.
Once all 'em other mods agree on the reformed Park, of course. Do note I'm not using them in any way. Now I need to get a new bait for my promotion...
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
Old 05-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Galleon Offline
Chocolate Bear

Send a message via AIM to Galleon Send a message via Yahoo to Galleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth View Post
Once all 'em other mods agree on the reformed Park, of course. Do note I'm not using them in any way. Now I need to get a new bait for my promotion...
Might I suggest a story-capture of three P-Z's? I'd be more than happy to grade it for you.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Marth Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleon View Post

Might I suggest a story-capture of three P-Z's? I'd be more than happy to grade it for you.
Pf, why do so when I've got a Gengar to spare? =)
Old 05-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Bumblebee16 Offline

Send a message via AIM to Bumblebee16 Send a message via MSN to Bumblebee16 Send a message via Yahoo to Bumblebee16

Quote:
When I submitted my application, I was hoping to find one Porygon-Z, not three. I could not have possibly known I was getting three in that moment. Of course I used the repellant for getting a Porygon-Z - some settings allow a 50% chance you'll encounter the special Pokémon you want if you do the right investment. It was after I got the three of 'em that everyone made a big fuss about it. It was a struck of luck and nothing else, just as how Bumblebee went into the park once and had to pass through 15 pokémon to fail in encountering a Rotom - the Pokémon he wanted. It IS a matter of luck.

Yeah that is true. Going into the Park I wanted Rotom (which was back in October) and it took three park runs to actually get it. When I did get it, I don't remeber my posts being crap, not that anyone said they were, but just putting that out there because of the complaints that all of the Pokemon (that were stated earlier) were just given out.

Quote:
I'd like to propose the following rules in order to fair things up for all of us:
-Restrict Special Pokémon to one per park run. The encounter should be made harder by the ranger, if any.
-Rearrange Special Pokémon, Rare Pokémon and beyond.
-Do not allow rangers to trade Pokémon with trainers they have roleplayed with.

I agree with all of these except the last one. I think they should be able to trade it with anyone they want. The only time it should not be allowed, in my opinion, is if someone thinks that the Pokemon caught in the park was 'given' to without much effort. Then it should be denied, but not if they worked for it.

Also I was also thinking of some things we could do to improve the park and I came up with several things, so you all can decided on what you think could work and what won't. (Some of these ideas I saw here and just decided to throw them in, not claiming them, just listing them)

1. When the Ranger rolls for the Pokemon encountered, use the Underground system. Just like you have a rare chance to find a Spiritomb or Aerodactyl, you could have a similar chance to find a Rare Pokemon in the Park.

2. A character limit, since its been brought up. It doesn't have to be big, but surely should be improvised. A set of characters needed depending on the category of the Pokemon that is being captured.

3. A Post Quality Modifier for the Ranger. Just like we use these for the Trainers, the Rangers could very well have one. The Ranger/Official that is watching the Captrue Roll can determine the PQM depending on the way the Ranger posted which will also affect the capture roll. It may just be a hassle, but its just a suggestion.

4. Another thing I liked was rolling for a certain category depending on how well they posted. If the Ranger feels that the Trainer isn't trying, they can roll for an Uncommon/Common Pokemon to show up next.

5. Though I don't really like this one, it has run through my head several times. Perhaps cutting down the number of encounters to like 10 or something. If you're lucky, it still doesn't change anything, but just an idea.

Again, these are just ideas so don't go posting how stupid they are, and instead, try to give another idea. That is all I can think of now, I'll be back with more soon.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

If anything, at least put a grammar requirement or standard for both Trainers and Rangers, if that isn't implemented already (I only glanced at the Park boards). Creativity is null and void if a post cannot be understood.

Most RPs have standards. You often see "show an example of how you RP" or "posts that cosists of only two paragraphs or less are not allowed", and the RPers still have a wonderful time RPing despite these "restrictions". The implementation of grammar standards, length, description, and so on in the story boards is not to restrict an author's ideas but to make sure that the author puts as much effort as they can to acquire their Pokémon. The URPG has always been about "effort = rewards" with the exception of lotteries and give-aways (which only happen a handful of times during the year). Why shouldn't the Park also implement standards to make sure RPers RP to the best of their ability?

As to what those standards should be, that's up to decide. They don't have to be a carbon-copy of the story boards. However, take note that the story boards run smoothy because of these rules and standards. Drawing ideas from there might not be such a bad idea.

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 05-16-2010, 04:19 AM
AiedailEclipsed Offline

I figure HKim might want my input on this for some random reason... I agree with alot of this. Grammar should be a principle role of roleplaying. I mean, if you can't type out a sentence using capitalization, proper sentence formatting, and punctuation, you don't deserve to be called a roleplayer. Also, I'm going to point something out. I recently took the Ranger Test, and failed. Big whup right? Well, I pointed out a major flaw in the tests after failing and they are now presumably still "fixing" them. They should never have been flawed in the first place.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Leman Offline

Send a message via AIM to Leman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiedailEclipsed View Post
Also, I'm going to point something out. I recently took the Ranger Test, and failed. Big whup right? Well, I pointed out a major flaw in the tests after failing and they are now presumably still "fixing" them. They should never have been flawed in the first place.
Want to tell anyone what this "major flaw" is? I find it kind of weird that you would just happen to notice it after you failed, and then be vague about it, and post in places where its only slightly related to the topic, as if to say "MY OPINION STILL MATTERS, RAWR." That and you've assumed that they've ignored it, which is a cool cover up when if nobody remembers it. :) Of course, if there acctually is a flaw, people need to know about it.

EDIT: Marth, DG and T-tar trainer are both seeing it.

Done: 8680

I don't ref forum battles/1v1s. Don't PM me to ref, IM me instead.
I need to have basic battles.

I grade week old stories that are Hard rank or lower. :)

Last edited by Leman; 05-16-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:53 AM
Marth Offline

Quote:
I figure HKim might want my input on this for some random reason... I agree with alot of this. Grammar should be a principle role of roleplaying. I mean, if you can't type out a sentence using capitalization, proper sentence formatting, and punctuation, you don't deserve to be called a roleplayer. Also, I'm going to point something out. I recently took the Ranger Test, and failed. Big whup right? Well, I pointed out a major flaw in the tests after failing and they are now presumably still "fixing" them. They should never have been flawed in the first place.
You mean the whole "bunnying" flaw, right? Yeah , you didn't fail because of that "flaw". For everyone, the flaw is that the trainer in the scenario supposedly "bunnies" what happens. However, the trainer in question never said the Zap Cannon had failed, nor that his attacks had worked. The ranger in question - you - could have perfectly continued the RP to say Zap Cannon hit, or that bullet punch failed, or that protect didn't even work. That's up to the ranger to decide, and if the ranger rules it that way. AND EVEN THEN; if major bunnying was made, as a ranger taking the test, it was your duty to change what happened in the trainers post.
Quoting the Park Rules:
Trainers Can:
"-Control things that occur around them (to an extent)". The trainer in the test never said the zap cannon hit - or missed, or that his attacks worked.

But as I said, you didn't fail because of that flaw. You've been explained by Eraizaa about that. If he didn't, tell me and I shall elaborate.

Just one thing. Two, actually.
I'm supposed to be an elite ranger. And an official. Yet I believe there must be a lot of discussion going right now on the moderators forum on PE2K about the park (or so I hope). I can't see this conversation, and most probably, may be DG are participating on it. Jess is gone and Eraizaa, Sam and I can't view it. I'd like to know if there is such a conversation going on at this moment in the staff board @ pe2k.
The second one..where the hell is Jess?!

EDIT: Leman, I hope the thread can be moved to BMG so Sam and I can help.
EDIT2: Bolded on your post what I agree with.

Last edited by Marth; 05-16-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:38 AM
AiedailEclipsed Offline

Quote:
You mean the whole "bunnying" flaw, right? Yeah , you didn't fail because of that "flaw". For everyone, the flaw is that the trainer in the scenario supposedly "bunnies" what happens. However, the trainer in question never said the Zap Cannon had failed, nor that his attacks had worked. The ranger in question - you - could have perfectly continued the RP to say Zap Cannon hit, or that bullet punch failed, or that protect didn't even work. That's up to the ranger to decide, and if the ranger rules it that way. AND EVEN THEN; if major bunnying was made, as a ranger taking the test, it was your duty to change what happened in the trainers post.
Quoting the Park Rules:
Trainers Can:
"-Control things that occur around them (to an extent)". The trainer in the test never said the zap cannon hit - or missed, or that his attacks worked.

But as I said, you didn't fail because of that flaw. You've been explained by Eraizaa about that. If he didn't, tell me and I shall elaborate.
You don't quite realize what I'm getting at; I don't care why I failed. And lets drop the kiddie terms and call these things for what they are- godmodding. I would not have changed my decision had the the RP test not contained blatant godmodding. The creativity was p*ss poor. The grammar was sh*tty (albeit not quite so bad as like numerous spelling errors and punctuation errors, but along the lines of basic capitalization.) How can you expect to judge the creativity of something when you can't read it? I mean Jesus God almighty! I think that you could at least require basic capitalization and punctuation! Anyway, this isn't about me or my failed Ranger Test. Like I said, I don't care.

I'd recommend for you to shut the thing down, and seriously reevaluate alot of the park's mechanics.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:41 AM
sheepskinfuton Offline

Send a message via AIM to sheepskinfuton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee16 View Post

1. When the Ranger rolls for the Pokemon encountered, use the Underground system. Just like you have a rare chance to find a Spiritomb or Aerodactyl, you could have a similar chance to find a Rare Pokemon in the Park.

2. A character limit, since its been brought up. It doesn't have to be big, but surely should be improvised. A set of characters needed depending on the category of the Pokemon that is being captured.

3. A Post Quality Modifier for the Ranger. Just like we use these for the Trainers, the Rangers could very well have one. The Ranger/Official that is watching the Captrue Roll can determine the PQM depending on the way the Ranger posted which will also affect the capture roll. It may just be a hassle, but its just a suggestion.

4. Another thing I liked was rolling for a certain category depending on how well they posted. If the Ranger feels that the Trainer isn't trying, they can roll for an Uncommon/Common Pokemon to show up next.

5. Though I don't really like this one, it has run through my head several times. Perhaps cutting down the number of encounters to like 10 or something. If you're lucky, it still doesn't change anything, but just an idea.

Again, these are just ideas so don't go posting how stupid they are, and instead, try to give another idea. That is all I can think of now, I'll be back with more soon.

1) I like this idea, as I've rolled and witnessed the rollings of a lot of rare and special mons.

2) I try to keep my posts a good length, and I like my trainers to do the same, however, I agree with Marth that there should be a difference in char. limit between BP and NBP, including capture attempts and posts. I try to keep both at least a small, yet detailed paragraph, because there's no sense trying to write a novel.

3) Sheep is confused! She hurt herself in confusion!

4) I would do this anyway, like, if they're doing well, I'll choose a mon from their rolls I think they'll like, and if they're not doing well I'd want to give them a lower rank mon, however sometimes this just doesn't work with a set of rolls, so I like this idea.

5) Eh, I guess this is an okay idea. One time I rolled 5 of the same Legend, but this was before you could reroll multiples.

Okay, it's late and I'm really out of it so I'll give my real opinions on the park tomorrow or something when I'm capable of intelligent thought.

EDIT:
Quote:
I'd recommend for you to shut the thing down, and seriously reevaluate alot of the park's mechanics.
How would we go about this? Would everyone in the Park get a refund?

supermonkey07 (11:45:01 PM): lol
(11:45:03 PM): silly sheep
(11:45:10 PM): trying to act like people do
(11:45:14 PM): talk the people talk
(11:45:16 PM): eat the people food
(11:45:20 PM): but you're just a sheep
[URPG] [Links]

Last edited by sheepskinfuton; 05-16-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:01 AM
AiedailEclipsed Offline

Depends on what kind of actions would be taken during said down time.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
You don't quite realize what I'm getting at; I don't care why I failed. And lets drop the kiddie terms and call these things for what they are- godmodding. I would not have changed my decision had the the RP test not contained blatant godmodding. The creativity was p*ss poor. The grammar was sh*tty (albeit not quite so bad as like numerous spelling errors and punctuation errors, but along the lines of basic capitalization.) How can you expect to judge the creativity of something when you can't read it? I mean Jesus God almighty! I think that you could at least require basic capitalization and punctuation! Anyway, this isn't about me or my failed Ranger Test. Like I said, I don't care.

Not really sure about how tests are handled, but I'll give it my best.

There's no need to be a Grammar Nazi. I appreciate good grammar and spelling, yes, but sometimes you just slip up and typo and only realise it at the end of the post, and you can't edit PMs, so the typos stay. Anything more than one or two typos would be quite irritating though, but there is quite a distance between the errors being irritating to decipher and the errors making the post pure unreadable. Since we can't have the exact same test every single time (re-tests would be piss easy since PMs are auto-saved) I presume they make it up on the spot or something. Also, it's not that easy to come up with creative ideas in battles all the time; would you rather have a borderline post and finish your test in a week or so, or have creative posts and then end up waiting whole days for the tester's reply and having your test extended to a month or so?

Also, I don't understand where you see Godmodding in the test.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 05-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Eraizaa-kun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Eraizaa-kun

I would just like to point out that the Ranger Tests are being fixed. If you are an Elite Ranger and have a test that hasn't been fixed, please PM it to me ASAP. Thank you all for you time, support, ideas, and what not. = )
Old 05-16-2010, 04:59 PM
DarkGardevoir Offline

Send a message via AIM to DarkGardevoir Send a message via MSN to DarkGardevoir

My two cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee16 View Post
[Font=comicsans][size=1][color=darkslategrey]
Also I was also thinking of some things we could do to improve the park and I came up with several things, so you all can decided on what you think could work and what won't. (Some of these ideas I saw here and just decided to throw them in, not claiming them, just listing them)

I always followed such type of chart, but it really doesn't matter. Over the number of people entering the park, you'll always see one lucky enough to find, 2, even 3 rares and one who got none. It's the law of big numbers.

Quote:
As Eraizaa is telling me, 2 paragraphs just to say "hey, nice Pokemon, but I really don't like it. Moving on!" is exaggerate and won't look good on you. Of course, you can try to expand on said post by trying to interact with the wild Pokemon (isn't that supposedly what the park is about, a wilderness trip?) but there's only so much you can do without making it boring.

obviously, a minimum requirement is needed, but we just can't decide what yet.

Quote:
Excuse me? I seem to be missing your point. Why should a Trainer's chances to catch a pokemon be diminished because of the person in charge of him/her? Or did I read it wrong? Because sure it looks like this.

Quote:

since the beginning, I tried t advocate this to Jess, but she said it was too much work. I basically told her to have the rangers roll more Pokemon than encounters, and let them choose what to make appear based on the trainer's post quality. It however leads to bias, but honestly I thought this would be better than 15 encounters purely based on luck -.-

Quote:
Unlike most of the mods who only say "shut it down for a while and rework it", at least you give suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
If anything, at least put a grammar requirement or standard for both Trainers and Rangers, if that isn't implemented already (I only glanced at the Park boards). Creativity is null and void if a post cannot be understood.

Most RPs have standards. You often see "show an example of how you RP" or "posts that cosists of only two paragraphs or less are not allowed", and the RPers still have a wonderful time RPing despite these "restrictions". The implementation of grammar standards, length, description, and so on in the story boards is not to restrict an author's ideas but to make sure that the author puts as much effort as they can to acquire their Pokémon. The URPG has always been about "effort = rewards" with the exception of lotteries and give-aways (which only happen a handful of times during the year). Why shouldn't the Park also implement standards to make sure RPers RP to the best of their ability?

As to what those standards should be, that's up to decide. They don't have to be a carbon-copy of the story boards. However, take note that the story boards run smoothy because of these rules and standards. Drawing ideas from there might not be such a bad idea.

- Kat
Indeed, some standards have to be there. Not much else to say here, but I thought it was in the park rules that "basic grammar" was required. To me, basic grammar means a post more or less like this, but we probably have to be clearer. Many a trainer I've seen who really dunno how to work a paragraph.

Quote:
Just one thing. Two, actually.
I'm supposed to be an elite ranger. And an official. Yet I believe there must be a lot of discussion going right now on the moderators forum on PE2K about the park (or so I hope). I can't see this conversation, and most probably, may be DG are participating on it. Jess is gone and Eraizaa, Sam and I can't view it. I'd like to know if there is such a conversation going on at this moment in the staff board @ pe2k.
The second one..where the hell is Jess?!

EDIT: Leman, I hope the thread can be moved to BMG so Sam and I can help.
EDIT2: Bolded on your post what I agree with.
Not much going on. The same ol' stuff- blahblahblah shut it and whatnot. This thread here is more helpful, tbh. However, this is the BMG version -->http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthre...=1#post1638790

Quote:

woah woah, slow down. The test was indeed made to TEST you. If you can't understand as much, well I'm sorry. There was godmodding? Make the attacks fail, and point it out at the end of the post. The grammar was exceptionally bad? Make the attacks fail and point it out at the end of the post.

Seriously. Rangers are supposed to be a washed-up version of a grader, if you get what I mean. We're supposed to be helpful, and the test was designed in this light. We want to make people grow, but we aren't as formal as the story board dwellers (maybe we should be a little more formal, though) so we have to work with what we have.

Just a little example- I took a newbie trainer in the park. He met a Murkrow- he tried to attack it with both his Pokemon. I stopped him, and made both his attacks fail. He then used a move without description. I made Murkrow counter the move, and told him to describe things to have a good effect. Supposedly, were I not to have taken an untimely retirement due to school (which I should keep up, but I'll try to still be around) his efforts would've have matched a Murkrow's worth, if not more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraizaa-kun View Post

I would just like to point out that the Ranger Tests are being fixed. If you are an Elite Ranger and have a test that hasn't been fixed, please PM it to me ASAP. Thank you all for you time, support, ideas, and what not. = )
It's true- he asked me to change my Pachirisu Vs Armaldo (which in my opinion is fair, if the trainer going a bit overboard in bunnying to try and make a combo) and has been reworking the others to expand on the Scenario section so that the post can't be blamed for "godmodding"

Hope this helps some

Vocaboulary Game
Quote:
MeowthMistress1: the alimighty ranger station
MeowthMistress1: we serve to protect you, just don't require us to spell or use proper grammar.

Last edited by DarkGardevoir; 05-16-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Ataro Offline
RUSTYREFBOT

Send a message via AIM to Ataro

Not completely related, but whatever.

How about we make it so a wild Pokemon cannot be simply avoided? There should only be a low chance, 25% or so that it simply walks away. Otherwise, a battle will be initiated. From what I can see, the problem occurs partly because RPers can simply say "Wow this mon looks good but I'm not looking for it, kthx" and move on. That's a reason why catching rare Pokemon in the Park tend to be easier and without any hiccups.

Also, when a battle is initiated, battling skills should be observed. For example, a Ranger having a wild Pokemon do stupid moves throughout is just stupid.