Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Interactive Boards Art Boards Sprite Art

Sprite Art For both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related sprite art.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #436  
Old 07-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Gaygar rocks's Avatar
Gaygar rocks Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 422
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveelutions View Post

Uh...uhm...ok I don't really like this one LOL I can tell there's a lot wrong with it :I
i think is great tough only the blue thibgys on her paws look a bit of blurry to me

also nobody crit on me so i will post them again

Pharaoh Horus IV:::
The Electric Brothers:::
Evil Vampire Zubat:::

and two shadeless :::

i have made my firsts infernoes a blue marill and a red/yellow wobbufett


and i have made new glowz 3 ghastlys wich one is best???

and one edit :::


C&CC ON ALL PLEASE

Last edited by Gaygar rocks; 07-26-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: new thinglyzz
Reply With Quote
  #437  
Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 AM
-Amorphous Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

MY CRITICISM ;D
Along with some other shiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
I thought I might as well ask for some criticism from people.



Don't mind the blue dot.
This is really good, actually. I love the concept, and since you scratched it that gets you respect from a person like me, who absolutely hates complete scratches and has only made 1 or 2 things as good as this. The colors are nice, and it's overall really cute.

Looking at it, the 3 orbs on the left side of the sprite look a bit octagonal. Even though it's rather hard (maybe impossible? i dunno) to make a perfect circle, for some reason it really stood out to me. The glow around those 2 orbs accentuates the straight lines of it too, imo.

I don't know if this is meant to be Pokemon-style or not, so kill me if this is an invalid comment- there's no black in the sprite outline. However, seeing as you were able to scratch something like this with it looking quite professional means that this was probably a decision of yours.

FigaraShark's comment on the horns is rather true, actually. On top of what he said, I can't help but think of Cleffa when i see the horns, which isn't necessarily bad, but to me it seems a bit unoriginal. Looking at the head without the horns, it looks a bit bland, but i would suggest removing them.

However, I quite like the 2 string things actually. But that's just my opinion. xD

On the right sprite coloration, the body outline on the left side looks a bit too... bright or thick. Or both, actually.

The body looks... well, square, lawl. Blatantly said.

Um, what else? I guess that's it, actually. It's sprited really well, not much to pick at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
First scratch sprite in quite a while.


Ritanica
Ghost/Fire

For all intents and purposes, I suppose it's "finished", but I'll probably be making some edits to it. The shading on the cloak bugs me, and I'm not sure I like the angle of the fire. All in all, though, I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out.

So, comment, crit. Whatever you like. :]
Another scratch spriter, wow. Again, a great sprite. It actually looked pretty bad to me in the beginning, then when I zoomed into it it suddenly became much clearer to me. Anyways, firstly the lineart seems to be fine, but the small open space between the two sides of the cape at the bottom looks kinda flat and unrealistic to me.

The shading on the cape is hard to see, though it IS supposed to be a dark, spooky color. In fact, I couldn't tell the difference at first.

The fire on the top right looks a bit wierd also when zoomed out. Maybe increase the orange color by a bit.

I agree with you on the angle of the fire, too. Well, not really actually. I'd change the angle of the MASK rather than the angle of the fire. The twisted head would portray the ghost type nicely.

What else. Uh, I guess that the way the cloak falls reminds me of Cherrim, which isn't good or bad really. Just felt like telling you that. xD

Uh.... wellcrap. Thanks a lot, you've given me nothing else to say. Nice sprite and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaygar rocks View Post
i think is great tough only the blue thibgys on her paws look a bit of blurry to me

also nobody crit on me so i will post them again


The Electric Brothers:::
The Electric brothers are complete copy-paste jobs, so I can't say much again. It's just an Electrode with a few small edits pasted onto a Machop(?) body with geodude arms on it. I guess that that's fine and all, it looks kinda funny and cool. The concept can definitely go further, too. So all in all i liked it quite a bit.

I guess that the main problem is the copy-pasty ness of the head onto the body. Just make the parts blend a bit instead of making them look like they were pasted on top of eachother in some grotesque fashion.

That's all i have to say, really. Hopefully my first post didn't make me look like a complete idiot.
Reply With Quote
  #438  
Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Woodchuck's Avatar
Woodchuck Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,120
Send a message via MSN to Woodchuck Send a message via Skype™ to Woodchuck
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
Not just that (for, the cloak looks rather bland even for the DS style...maybe.), but I think just the overall design is a bit bland and whatnot. To be honest, at first I thought it was Aron's head (the design of its head) attached to a cloak. XD

I mean, it's pretty nice for a "refresher" and all, but try something just a little more complicated next. Or, better yet, try making something simple look complicated--in the case that you're not trying to imitate the official DS style's simpleness.
Thanks for the crit, Speed. I always appreciate the input of a good spriter such as yourself.

Just wanted to point out, however, that not all designs need to be complex (Voltorb, Electrode, Ditto, etc.). Regardless, I do plan to rework the design so Ritanica isn't quite so plain. Anyway, thanks again. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveelutions View Post
...imo, I think it looks great 8D
It really does look like it'd fit in in D/P :3 But the cloak looks like it lacks shading a bit. Other than that, I don't see much wrong with it o:
Thank you. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Amorphous View Post
Another scratch spriter, wow. Again, a great sprite. It actually looked pretty bad to me in the beginning, then when I zoomed into it it suddenly became much clearer to me. Anyways, firstly the lineart seems to be fine, but the small open space between the two sides of the cape at the bottom looks kinda flat and unrealistic to me.

The shading on the cape is hard to see, though it IS supposed to be a dark, spooky color. In fact, I couldn't tell the difference at first.

The fire on the top right looks a bit wierd also when zoomed out. Maybe increase the orange color by a bit.

I agree with you on the angle of the fire, too. Well, not really actually. I'd change the angle of the MASK rather than the angle of the fire. The twisted head would portray the ghost type nicely.

What else. Uh, I guess that the way the cloak falls reminds me of Cherrim, which isn't good or bad really. Just felt like telling you that. xD

Uh.... wellcrap. Thanks a lot, you've given me nothing else to say. Nice sprite and all that.
Thanks for the crit and the compliments! You seem to be one of an unfortunately small number of people around here who really know what they're talking about. I'll gladly take all your points into consideration while redoing the sprite.

And Cherrim? Huh, that's odd. I hadn't really noticed. xD
__________________

"Because without Twitter... You're f*cking nothing. Your life is just a burnt-out shell. You're like a husk."
Reply With Quote
  #439  
Old 07-26-2010, 02:10 PM
-Amorphous Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase



Peh. It's a whale baby. THis is just the outline and basic colors. I hate colors and shading SO MUCH.

So, yeah. CnC on this stuff please and then i'm gonna have to work on the facking shading. D:
Reply With Quote
  #440  
Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Speed-X's Avatar
Speed-X Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,588
Send a message via AIM to Speed-X
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Amorphous View Post
MY CRITICISM ;D
Along with some other shiat
Oh, gawd. Please stay at these forums to help out with critiquing. We need people like you, because it seems that a lot of people...just, y'know, don't necessarily "get it." ^^;
But, you, my friend, seem to be another person who understands that pixel art is just another art, and critiques/treats it that way.
And besides, I could use a critiquing buddy, hahah. =P

Quote:
Thanks for the crit, Speed. I always appreciate the input of a good spriter such as yourself.

Just wanted to point out, however, that not all designs need to be complex (Voltorb, Electrode, Ditto, etc.). Regardless, I do plan to rework the design so Ritanica isn't quite so plain. Anyway, thanks again. :D
Not a problem; and thanks! Oh, and about the "complexity" deal--yes, I am aware of that. But like I mentioned, try to do something a bit more complex next time just so we can see j00r ski11z. =P

Quote:
Peh. It's a whale baby. THis is just the outline and basic colors. I hate colors and shading SO MUCH.

So, yeah. CnC on this stuff please and then i'm gonna have to work on the facking shading. D:
A cute concept, actually.
However, the main problem I see, here, is that your lineart tends to look a bit jagged in some areas. Generally, you want to go for the "3, 2, 1, 2, 3" type of pattern. On the narwhal's head, for instance, the amount of pixels forms a rather uneven "5, 1, 5" type of pattern, which can really affect the overall appearance.
Like mentioned, the main problem regarding that would be the very top of the head, but also exists slightly in some areas such as the "chin" area.

My suggestion would to just see if you can find the places where the uneven "3, 1, 3, 2" kind of pixel-pattern exists, and see if you can change it to be an even "3, 2, 1, 2, 3."

Geez. To be honest, I don't know why I haven't been using the number pattern to describe how pixels should and shouldn't be placed when making a curve. Silly me.


Okay, so recently I decided to make these blob adoptables. Why? I dunno. They turned out kinda cute, though.

I'm actually using MyAdopts.com for this site. It's actually pretty awesome, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to use something besides Squiby for adoptables.

Anyways, the bl0bs:

And why are the backgrounds blue, you ask? These are the pre-transparent images, so, yeah.
And yes, I'm aware that the final "evolution" looks like a Kirby and Ditto's baby or something, hahahah. Aw well. I don't really care, to be honest.

The site is here, but there's a lotta crapola I need to remove and change. So I guess you could say that it's "not ready" right now....

Last edited by Speed-X; 07-26-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #441  
Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM
FiragaShark's Avatar
FiragaShark Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somewhere on the West Coast
Posts: 618
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
Oh, gawd. Please stay at these forums to help out with critiquing. We need people like you, because it seems that a lot of people...just, y'know, don't necessarily "get it." ^^;
But, you, my friend, seem to be another person who understands that pixel art is just another art, and critiques/treats it that way.
And besides, I could use a critiquing buddy, hahah. =P


Not a problem; and thanks! Oh, and about the "complexity" deal--yes, I am aware of that. But like I mentioned, try to do something a bit more complex next time just so we can see j00r ski11z. =P


A cute concept, actually.
However, the main problem I see, here, is that your lineart tends to look a bit jagged in some areas. Generally, you want to go for the "3, 2, 1, 2, 3" type of pattern. On the narwhal's head, for instance, the amount of pixels forms a rather uneven "5, 1, 5" type of pattern, which can really affect the overall appearance.
Like mentioned, the main problem regarding that would be the very top of the head, but also exists slightly in some areas such as the "chin" area.

My suggestion would to just see if you can find the places where the uneven "3, 1, 3, 2" kind of pixel-pattern exists, and see if you can change it to be an even "3, 2, 1, 2, 3."

Geez. To be honest, I don't know why I haven't been using the number pattern to describe how pixels should and shouldn't be placed when making a curve. Silly me.


Okay, so recently I decided to make these blob adoptables. Why? I dunno. They turned out kinda cute, though.

I'm actually using MyAdopts.com for this site. It's actually pretty awesome, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to use something besides Squiby for adoptables.

Anyways, the bl0bs:

And why are the backgrounds blue, you ask? These are the pre-transparent images, so, yeah.
And yes, I'm aware that the final "evolution" looks like a Kirby and Ditto's baby or something, hahahah. Aw well. I don't really care, to be honest.

The site is here, but there's a lotta crapola I need to remove and change. So I guess you could say that it's "not ready" right now....
These are really great, albeit simple, sprites. The outlines are smooth and the shading is topnotch (liquid shading is something I myself have always had a problem with). However, I have one small problem with the last one. Is that supposed to be a foot on the left side. Having it there really messes with the flow of the outline and color. You could try smoothing it out or eliminating it all together. I think it would make for a better sprite.

Are you going to keep it gray though? Blob type things always tended to be brightly colored and such. I think a bright vibrant color would better show off the skillful shading.
__________________
Welcome Mr. Sunshine!


~My Claims~


Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Gaygar rocks's Avatar
Gaygar rocks Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 422
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Amorphous View Post

The Electric brothers are complete copy-paste jobs, so I can't say much again. It's just an Electrode with a few small edits pasted onto a Machop(?) body with geodude arms on it. I guess that that's fine and all, it looks kinda funny and cool. The concept can definitely go further, too. So all in all i liked it quite a bit.

I guess that the main problem is the copy-pasty ness of the head onto the body. Just make the parts blend a bit instead of making them look like they were pasted on top of eachother in some grotesque fashion.

That's all i have to say, really. Hopefully my first post didn't make me look like a complete idiot.
hey i have bettered my electric brothers i hope you like it now i have also give the eyes more shadow so the antenna light i have blended the head with the body i hope you like it this way
this is how it was before editing

and this is it now after the editing


and i have also made an jigglypuff rainbow glow
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 07-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Speed-X's Avatar
Speed-X Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,588
Send a message via AIM to Speed-X
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

Firaga Shark: Thanks for your feedback.
Ohh...that silly little area at the bottom-left, I see what you mean. I actually never bothered to see how it looked when zoomed out. But, yeah, I definitely see your point, and i fixed it.
It was actually just supposed to be a little area that sticks out a little bit--like as if part of the "goo"-like substance is sitting on a flat surface and is reaching out due to the fact that it's a little mooshed down.
But, it looks better without it, so thanks for bringing that to my attention. ^^

Actually, there's a bit of a story to the color. See, lately I made these custom type icons based on the ones from the Pokemon games (you can see them in my gallery--however, now I've changed the text to be the lightest color instead of the darkest so they can be seen better, and they look much, much better now, despite the fact that I haven't really posted them up yet. xD; ); and, for some reason, they inspired me to make the basic set of blobs to be based on the types from Pokemon. At first it was just two "evolutions" and both were just recolored according to the type. However, I later realized that would be rather boring and quite silly, so I sketched up designs for a third level for the blobs, and what they would look like according to their type.

The one I've posted up is the regular, default blob, based on the normal type. So, actually, yes, that one will stay as is--though, I'll be adding more types and whatnot in the near future.

Thanks for your feedback, once again. ^_^ The third blob looks a bit better now without that little quirk on the bottom corner.

Last edited by Speed-X; 07-26-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 07-27-2010, 09:52 PM
-Amorphous Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

@Speed-X- Looking back at previous posts, the Spriting forum here is pretty noobish in a way, actually. Not to be offensive, but.

In fact, i dug up your Deviantart account. JirachiTheChao, right? I lol'd a bit at your rant on PE2K.

I'm not a very good scratch spriter myself, actually. D: It takes me forever to do scratchwork, period, and forget about GOOD scratchwork.

Might post a fusion soon.

Anyways, I... have NO IDEA how to critique your "blobs", Speed. xD They look great, but they're SO TINY that I can't imagine finding error in them. To me, with stuff like that, you've either made something pretty terrible looking or perfect looking.


However, if the whole series of blobs are meant to be "Evolutions", then there's a small gripe I have. With evolutions, the evolved form should NEVER be a bigger version of the first form.


Well, looking at the first and second forms, they're too similar. It's like-

"Oh, a blob. Oh, a slightly larger blob."

One more thing. The first form almost looks like a rock to me since the eyes and mouth are so small. I know that the blob is small in the first place, but really.

Sorry, I wish that I could say more. Firstly, it's sprited very well, secondly, it's tiny.

Well, all I can say is- reasons aside, please color it. It looks so boring and weird without color. All in all though, it's nice.
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Groudon_fan's Avatar
Groudon_fan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a small room. I'm clastrophobic!
Posts: 1,230
Send a message via AIM to Groudon_fan Send a message via Yahoo to Groudon_fan
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase



Beware of the blob...

BEWARE OF THE BLOB...
__________________
Code:
Free Pie! [URPG]Numel:: [VPP] Numel from 1146 Hatches at 1161 Evolves at 1245 Finished 1446 qoou ıɥ Mmm! click this! qoou ıɥ
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 07-28-2010, 02:14 AM
Speed-X's Avatar
Speed-X Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,588
Send a message via AIM to Speed-X
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

It just takes practice. It's a bit like drawing, only that it needs to be more precise, and careful attention to detail might be needed more than with some other art types. =3

And about the size--hahah, yeah, I wanted to make something small so I wouldn't have to worry about taking such a long time to edit them for the other versions. XD

Well, it's not exactly a series of "evolutions," like in Pokemon or something, but just a series of growth. Like, the first is the baby version, the second the adolescent, and the third the adult. More like that.

As goes for the first one, I guess it does look a little rock-like, but then again, I guess you could say it's meant to be based on the shape of a single drop of ooze or water. Like, how when you add enough drops of water onto a penny or something, it forms a perfectly defined dome shape. ^^

Hahah, alrighty then. I already have a bit of progress done, but I'll post them up once I have a few more.
((Olol. Once I think about it, the normal version reminds me of...flavorless jello or something. *smack'd* xD; )
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 07-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Gaygar rocks's Avatar
Gaygar rocks Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 422
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

can't anyone critisize me im asking it loud and clear i need it

here are my work so please crit me
electric brothers
before edit

after edit

my first Inferno

dark reddish charizard

vampire zubat

dodrio edit
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Speed-X's Avatar
Speed-X Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,588
Send a message via AIM to Speed-X
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

The Machop x Electrode fusions look even more strange without the obvious seperation between the body and head. Not only do their heads look unnaturally large, but now it looks as if there's a light RIGHT up against the neck or something. In other words, it looks even more unnatural. The least you could do about this is to show that the head is casting down a shadow on the body, thus the lightest tone of red would not be existant on the neck.

There isn't much to say about Wobbuffet. It's simply a pillow shade, which doesn't take much effort and follows a semi-strict guideline. In other words, you're probably wasting your time with pillow shades. That is, if you were to do them excessively.

As for the Charizard, it's merely a recolor. However, the general flow of the colors looks nice. I personally like the red on that dark purple-like color...but I guess that's just personal preference, lolz. ^^

And the Zubat...are those copy and pasted on (the wings), or actually edited on? Just asking. It'd be nice to know this info before giving my opinion on that. However, it looks as if it's been just pasted on from...something. But, hey, that's just what I'm seeing.

Dodrio edit: Okay. all you really did was take the other Dodrio heads out of the picture, so there really isn't much to say.

My advice would be to spend your time on fully custom pixel art and such. If that's not your forte yet, work on actual edits rather than erasing and copying + pasting and whatnot. You could, for instance, think of adjectives to edit a Pokemon so it matches the adjective. For instance...a killer Wurmple, or a hobo-Jynx, or something. Hell, you could even make a retype, since that classifies as an edit--just don't paste parts from other Pokemon onto the base, because that takes little effort, and one shouldn't waste their time doing such...if they want to improve in pixel art, that is.

Hope this helped. ^^

Last edited by Speed-X; 07-29-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 07-29-2010, 06:13 AM
FiragaShark's Avatar
FiragaShark Offline
Elite Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somewhere on the West Coast
Posts: 618
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

Not to be rude but Speed-X is right. There really is no pointin making small edits and posting them here to crit. They require almost no skill to execute and there really is nothing to comment on. If you REALLY want to get good, I suggest you do ALOT of fusions. As I have personallylearned, doing fusions work on many skills at once, working abilities like editing, recoloring and reshading, and some scratching. Plus you would have something interesting to show. Doing a lot and alot of fusions would be an extremely useful effort that would really develop you in your spriting efforts.
__________________
Welcome Mr. Sunshine!


~My Claims~


Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 07-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Gaygar rocks's Avatar
Gaygar rocks Offline
Master Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 422
Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiragaShark View Post
Not to be rude but Speed-X is right. There really is no pointin making small edits and posting them here to crit. They require almost no skill to execute and there really is nothing to comment on. If you REALLY want to get good, I suggest you do ALOT of fusions. As I have personallylearned, doing fusions work on many skills at once, working abilities like editing, recoloring and reshading, and some scratching. Plus you would have something interesting to show. Doing a lot and alot of fusions would be an extremely useful effort that would really develop you in your spriting efforts.
ok but i am doing that and i want to improve my skills by trying new things and iam really improved what takes fusions if you look at my first ever fusion this is it:::
and my second :::
and these two are my latest except the electric brothers i have to fix them:::



and i do recolours to practice with recolouring and reshading i make my own colours for my recolours now.

i do glows, holograms i have learned know how to do them proper, and shadeless.
i have made only one retype and edits what are edits then edits are just pokemon that miss something right you erase stuff from it and scratch the body back right so i have learned to do edits.

and now im asking anything what is a inferno because you had it about a pillow shade and no an inferno what is a inferno then let me see a inferno wobbufet then i know what a inferno is

and i have scratched the wings for the zubat i dont pasted it

i dont to be rude but if you are having such good critique i want to have questions about my spriting and because i post everything here for crit is because i want secureness or how say it
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com