Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards » Sprite Art

Sprite Art For both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related sprite art.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 PM
SinisterSages Offline
Master Trainer

Default Re: General Spriter's Showcase

I haven't been on here for a while.
So here a robot inspired from cubism and minimalism techniques.

and here is an overworld Tobi sprite sheet for a tower defense game I'm going to make as soon as I figure out how to make one with Flash Pro CS5.5

All the asymmetry was killing me inside... It took so long to make and I'm very pleased with the results.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:55 PM
maxxa Offline
Master Trainer

The dex as it stands for a fan-hack of fire red i design for, any comments?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:41 AM
Cheerful Cherubi Offline
Photosynthesis with Viciousness

Hey spriters!! Go check out my contest! Nobody's entered yet!

Signature made by Foxamivalth!
Old 06-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterSages View Post
I haven't been on here for a while.
So here a robot inspired from cubism and minimalism techniques.

and here is an overworld Tobi sprite sheet for a tower defense game I'm going to make as soon as I figure out how to make one with Flash Pro CS5.5

All the asymmetry was killing me inside... It took so long to make and I'm very pleased with the results.
Interesting. I like the robot, but since it's not pokemon sprite-y, it's not really what I'm used to. xD But it's still good, of course. Just...shade-less due to the minimalism. Also, if that's a spring, then I'll critique it by saying I think it should compress rather than disappear inside the robot, even though that's difficult... But yeah.

Tobi needs more head shading, since his hair is completely black apart from the white, and yeah...I don't know what his face is supposed to look like, but he looks pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxa View Post
Wow, those are pretty awesome. I really like the idea of the sword in the stone pokemon. ^^ Although the way the evolution is holding the sword is really awkward, and the blade looks bent compared to the hilt. And I would make it smaller if I were you. Pupleaf's face is a bit oddly shaped, and its legs too, especially the front ones, since the shoulder looks connected to the chest (as in, it's the same line). I love canifer though! I think the idea of the shadows behind the two pokemon is pretty awesome too, and yeah--overall, really nice designs. The style of the sprites is very Black and White, but that's okay. Some of them lack a bit of shading, such as the three-chain grass ones, but that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibb2 View Post
Hey spriters!! Go check out my contest! Nobody's entered yet!
Please don't advertise here. This is a thread for posting sprites for critique, not for trying to get people to come to your contest.

Reposting:

Like I said, I don't like the second and third ones. In case you can't tell, they're the starters from their respective generations merged.

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:35 AM
pamplemousse Offline

im working on making a new color palette and i wanted to know what you think.
its supposed to be a sky palette but i dont know if i should go with a darker color or a lighter one (the white spots are supposed to be clouds)
Darker: Lighter:Please tell me what you think!
Old 06-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Cheerful Cherubi Offline
Photosynthesis with Viciousness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamplemousse View Post
its supposed to be a sky palette but i dont know if i should go with a darker color or a lighter one (the white spots are supposed to be clouds)
I really like this idea! I've also tried making custom palattes! Some critique: I like the dark sky one, but maybe instead of clouds you could try stars for a night effect? I'm not too fond of the light one, it just doesn't seem blue enough. Good idea! I'm really looking forward to the final palatte!

Signature made by Foxamivalth!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Jessu Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jessu Send a message via MSN to Jessu Send a message via Skype™ to Jessu

Quote:
The lighter color actually looks more like it's ice than it does a sky. Maybe a few hues darker and you may get closer to the actual color. :) But as far as the darker color, it looks more like a night sky with stars dotted on the Pokemon.
I would say to make the sky theme a little more evident, try to find the in-between color of those two and make the white spots more like white blotches.

kbye

Remember you're loved, and you always will be;
This melody will bring you right back home.

| Factfile | Quotes | Art | Sprites | POL |
Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Quote:
[sprites here]
Ooh I like your designs a lot, especially your Grass starter. it's really cool how it starts as a seed. And Dizzipod is really creative and cute as well. Inkog is really creepy, but I like the idea ^^ Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful_Suicune View Post

Reposting:

Like I said, I don't like the second and third ones. In case you can't tell, they're the starters from their respective generations merged.

~GS.
I think the third one's actually really good xD On the second one, I think the red doesn't really go nicely with the green. Dark green would look nice, or maybe even Totodile-blue. Otherwise I think you did a really good job. The Kanto starter one is really cute!

Quote:
I agree with the others that the dark ones look like night skies with stars. I think it's a nice colour palette though. Maybe you could make day and night time ones.

P.S. Everyone in here should go submit sprites to the Creative Dex.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:36 PM
maxxa Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:

Wow, those are pretty awesome. I really like the idea of the sword in the stone pokemon. ^^ Although the way the evolution is holding the sword is really awkward, and the blade looks bent compared to the hilt. And I would make it smaller if I were you. Pupleaf's face is a bit oddly shaped, and its legs too, especially the front ones, since the shoulder looks connected to the chest (as in, it's the same line). I love canifer though! I think the idea of the shadows behind the two pokemon is pretty awesome too, and yeah--overall, really nice designs. The style of the sprites is very Black and White, but that's okay. Some of them lack a bit of shading, such as the three-chain grass ones, but that's all.

~GS.
Thanks! Yeah I need to work on the sword and it's pose, the third evolution for that is in a state of postponement, I've had a busy few days, but it's coming along very nicely! I didn't actually create pupleaf, I edited the shading of it, but I too am not the biggest fan, I'm just happy it evolves into canifer (also not mine).

My style is a mix of DPPT, HGGS and BW styles, mixed with things I've picked up over my years of spriting, various other styles I've dabbled with (digimon spriting for a month, custom 8-bit spriting etc etc) and I think it suits the current pokemon style nicely, what do you mean by 'but that's okay'? Does the black and White style not have many fans over at this site?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:37 PM
SinisterSages Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:

Interesting. I like the robot, but since it's not pokemon sprite-y, it's not really what I'm used to. xD But it's still good, of course. Just...shade-less due to the minimalism. Also, if that's a spring, then I'll critique it by saying I think it should compress rather than disappear inside the robot, even though that's difficult... But yeah.

Tobi needs more head shading, since his hair is completely black apart from the white, and yeah...I don't know what his face is supposed to look like, but he looks pretty good.

~GS.
Actually the robot is using a rocket engine but I can see the confusion.

Well I guess I need to fix his hair shading because it's not actually all black, theres black and blue with shading, zoomed in when I was making it you could tell but in 100% it looks completely black so I'll change it. I'll go back and try to add some more dramatic difference in the shading. The face is a mask, hes based off off Tobi from Naruto. Reference: http://www.leafninja.net/images/info...n/TobiBody.jpg
I've never been great at shades and colors so any help in that are would be nice.

Last edited by SinisterSages; 06-04-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 AM
pamplemousse Offline

thanks for the feedback! im not sure if i want to go for a night sky or a day sky. I already have a night/space palette that ive been working on for a while

so im not sure if i should go for clouds or stars on the sky palette
I can post the sky palette after i finish it if you want.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 AM
dwediliarce Offline
New Trainer

Default Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Film Part

Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son Movie Summary length of Dead Space: Aftermath movie download 2012 film dvd Trolljegeren (The Troll Hunter) Full Lenght Film In Pda Format Where Can I Download The Elephant White Film Where Watch The Sunset Limited Film Aziz Ansari: Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening The Film High Quality the Saw 3D full dvd movies download point N-Secure Rare Exports movie theatres Toy Story 3 Movie Download Sites The Sunset Limited Downloading Watch Full Travellers Film In Hd Quotes From The Movie Unknown Download The How Do You Know Film 2010 MTV Movie Awards Film Good Quality The Jensen Project film part websites to watch Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules the movie Movie Trailer Ramona and Beezus online i want to watch Fast Five film Download The Company Men Film Tumblr
Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Confuzzled Offline
New Trainer

Frosslass + Ampharos

Simple fusion :)
Can I get some feedback :)
Old 06-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
I think the third one's actually really good xD On the second one, I think the red doesn't really go nicely with the green. Dark green would look nice, or maybe even Totodile-blue. Otherwise I think you did a really good job. The Kanto starter one is really cute!
Yeah, I didn't think it worked all that well either, but I wanted to have it separate colours to any blue since that would be the obvious choice. Guess I should have stuck with it anyway. xD Thanks!

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah I need to work on the sword and it's pose, the third evolution for that is in a state of postponement, I've had a busy few days, but it's coming along very nicely! I didn't actually create pupleaf, I edited the shading of it, but I too am not the biggest fan, I'm just happy it evolves into canifer (also not mine).

My style is a mix of DPPT, HGGS and BW styles, mixed with things I've picked up over my years of spriting, various other styles I've dabbled with (digimon spriting for a month, custom 8-bit spriting etc etc) and I think it suits the current pokemon style nicely, what do you mean by 'but that's okay'? Does the black and White style not have many fans over at this site?
No worries. ^^ Yeah. :3 Ahh, okay, cool. I see. I didn't think you did for some reason, since it seemed more of an amateur style and sprite. Ahh, I see! Well yes, I'd be happy too. ^^ Which ones are yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterSages View Post
Actually the robot is using a rocket engine but I can see the confusion.

Well I guess I need to fix his hair shading because it's not actually all black, theres black and blue with shading, zoomed in when I was making it you could tell but in 100% it looks completely black so I'll change it. I'll go back and try to add some more dramatic difference in the shading. The face is a mask, hes based off off Tobi from Naruto. Reference: http://www.leafninja.net/images/info...n/TobiBody.jpg
I've never been great at shades and colors so any help in that are would be nice.
Okay, that makes more sense.

Yeah. Okay. I see. o: That's alright. Well if you take a look at other overworld sprites, you'll see that their hair isn't composed of many shades, but the way the hair is shaded is interesting--there's often a ring of light shading around the top. If you look at other overworlds for reference, I'm sure you'll figure out better shading. :)

Quote:
thanks for the feedback! im not sure if i want to go for a night sky or a day sky. I already have a night/space palette that ive been working on for a while

so im not sure if i should go for clouds or stars on the sky palette
I can post the sky palette after i finish it if you want.
I think that one works much better. Although you should shade the stars--where you place stars in the dark parts of the sprites, have them darker. That way it looks more like a print. I would suggest making the shades a tiny bit blue, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Frosslass + Ampharos

The shading looks a bit confused, especially on the...well...whole body section. It doesn't make sense that just the belly's darker blue is shaded when the rest of its lower self isn't. The red thing looks strangely places and also shding confused, and the main white looks too grey, on account of how it's grey in every part of the body except the white on the head and one arm. You also need to add black outlines and shade the outlines appropriately. Most of the outlines (at least, from the neck down) are too light for the shade that accompanies it, so you need to work on that a lot. The sprite also needs a smoother outline (because it's wobbly and not shaped well enough) and it is oddly assembled. The only part I would say can stay untouched is the head down to the neck.

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.

Last edited by Graceful_Suicune; 06-06-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Arch Enemy Offline
Force the Reason

Send a message via AIM to Arch Enemy Send a message via MSN to Arch Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Frosslass + Ampharos

Oh, wow. It doesn't look that bad, IMO. I wish I had something to say to help, but I'd probably end up repeating Graceful_Suicune, because I pretty much agree with her~ Sorry! xD

Okay, so, I'd like some opinions on this, guys:

......Previously known as Mizuki Emi
deviantART . Last.fm . Creative School