Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Other Boards Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Powerhouse of World War II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masami View Post
I'll just leave this thread, you're all wrong, simple...

And I'm getting my infromation from documentires, reports, etc.etc.

We developed the atomic bombs, sent everything over to America and you made them, congratulations.
You do know that all you needed to do is to present where you're getting your information from and you'd be off the hook, right? The only reason as to why you're not is either that there are actually no sources, or that you know your soruces are dubious at best.

Louise: Incorrect on the theory of the atomic bomb. The atomic bomb is theorized not because of E=mc^2: nuclear fission deals with the generation of massive amounts of head energy not by converting a mass into energy, but rather by changing the molecular properties from a single element to another. The actual breakdown of the bonds between protons/neutrons is what causes the energy to be released within a nuclear chain reaction. No mass is consumed in an atomic bomb.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:19 PM
miyoun Offline

Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
You do know that all you needed to do is to present where you're getting your information from and you'd be off the hook, right? The only reason as to why you're not is either that there are actually no sources, or that you know your soruces are dubious at best.

Louise: Incorrect on the theory of the atomic bomb. The atomic bomb is theorized not because of E=mc^2: nuclear fission deals with the generation of massive amounts of head energy not by converting a mass into energy, but rather by changing the molecular properties from a single element to another. The actual breakdown of the bonds between protons/neutrons is what causes the energy to be released within a nuclear chain reaction. No mass is consumed in an atomic bomb.
My big giant post? Forgot to link to the page I copy pasted it from. Two secs. (I didn't do history in school, nor care. I just saw some stupid posts and decided to post)
wikianswers. lol.

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm
Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
I'll just leave this thread, you're all wrong, simple...

And I'm getting my infromation from documentires, reports, etc.etc.

We developed the atomic bombs, sent everything over to America and you made them, congratulations.
I am in a college level course studying American History. I'm pretty sure I'm right, and until you provide proof to prove otherwise, then you're just looking like an ignorant fool.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 PM
miyoun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
I am in a college level course studying American History. I'm pretty sure I'm right, and until you provide proof to prove otherwise, then you're just looking like an ignorant fool.
His reply to me was "documentaries" and "reports" but refused to say where from.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

@Kenny: Actually, that's wrong. Mass is lost in an atomic bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Einstein used the CGS system of units (centimeters, grams, seconds, dynes, and ergs), but the formula is independent of the system of units. In natural units, the speed of light is defined to equal 1, and the formula expresses an identity: E = m. In the SI system (expressing the ratio E / m in joules per kilogram using the value of c in meters per second):

E / m = c2 = (299,792,458 m/s)2 = 89,875,517,873,681,764 J/kg (≈9.0 1016 joules per kilogram)

So one gram of mass is equivalent to the following amounts of energy:

89.9 terajoules
25.0 million kilowatt-hours (≈25 GWh)
21.5 billion kilocalories (≈21 Tcal) [4]
21.5 kilotons of TNT-equivalent energy (≈21 kt) [4]
85.2 billion BTUs[4]

Any time energy is generated, the process can be evaluated from an E = mc^2 perspective. For instance, the "Gadget"-style bomb used in the Trinity test and the bombing of Nagasaki had an explosive yield equivalent to 21 kt of TNT. About 1 kg of the approximately 6.15 kg of plutonium in each of these bombs fissioned into lighter elements totaling almost exactly one gram less, after cooling [The heat, light, and electromagnetic radiation released in this explosion carried the missing one gram of mass.]This occurs because nuclear binding energy is released whenever elements with more than 62 nucleons fission.
I believe this is due to the fact that while atomic particles are not destroyed in a fission reaction, the mass of an atomic particle (neutron, proton, electron, although the latter is irrelevant in this case) is not constant; it actually changes depending on the properties of the particle, such as speed or bonds.

The claim that the British built the atomic bomb is ridiculous. Initially, the British had their own atomic weapons program called Tube Alloys. However, it was later assimilated into the Manhattan Project because they were making almost no progress due to the fact that British resources paled in comparison to American ones. The Quebec Agreement in August 1943 was eventually made so that British and Canadian scientists could join the Manhattan Project. The REASON Britain handed over its meager advances into making the atomic bomb to the US in the first place was because the US was so much further ahead and Churchill knew the British didn't have a chance in hell of completing an atom bomb before war's end.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 04-19-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

In regards to the atom bomb, it was developed by a multitude of scientists from all different countries and regions. The British did contribute a great deal, but they were not solely responsible for the development.

In regards to the powerhouses of WWII, I'm going to say the US in the Pacific theater (everyone always ignores that part), Germany in the first half of the European Theater, and the Soviets in the second half.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

European contributions to the development of the atom bomb were almost purely theoretical, made by scientists. Designing, making, and testing the bomb were all primarily American efforts.

I don't consider Germany a powerhouse. During the first half of the war it was successful it, its opponents were jokes. Poland was using calvary against tanks. France... well, we all know that the French didn't even put up a fight. Britain's army was ragged for most of the war, having done nothing but lose until the Americans joined, even against an inferior Japanese army in 1941 and against a second-rate German army in Libya. There are cases in the second half of the war were American commanders were astonished to see British commanders stopping a pursuit literally just to brew tea. A lot of British WWI veterans distrusted all offensive action, further hampering the British army. German panzers, despite their reputation, actually sucked. In the Russian offensive, German tanks couldn't penetrate the Russian T-34's armor from 100 yards; the only reason the German offensive was initially successful was because the Russians were just really, really, really bad at tactics. The Luftwaffe was inferior to the British and American air forces, and the Kriegsmarine was practically nonexistent even as early as the Battle of Britain. Germany's army was never even fully mechanized; they were still using horses by the time the war ended.

If you're looking for a powerhouse of WWII, you got two options: The USSR or the US.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Masami Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Masami Send a message via MSN to Masami

The Luftwaffe had 4:1 on the RAF.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
The Luftwaffe had 4:1 on the RAF.
Uh, no. In 1940 the Luftwaffe was slightly over twice as large as the RAF, not large enough to nullify Britain's defensive advantage and superior radar. Germany also couldn't invest ALL of its air forces into the Battle of Britain, unlike Britain. More importantly, the Luftwaffe was useless as an independent arm of the military. German planes were designed almost exclusively to support their armor battalions. Germany had no strategic bombers capable of actually hurting Britain bad enough to put it out of commission.

Art Gallery
Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 AM
miyoun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
In regards to the atom bomb, it was developed by a multitude of scientists from all different countries and regions. The British did contribute a great deal, but they were not solely responsible for the development.
I mentioned the collaberation(sp?) in an earlier post.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Masami Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Uh, no. In 1940 the Luftwaffe was slightly over twice as large as the RAF, not large enough to nullify Britain's defensive advantage and superior radar. Germany also couldn't invest ALL of its air forces into the Battle of Britain, unlike Britain. More importantly, the Luftwaffe was useless as an independent arm of the military. German planes were designed almost exclusively to support their armor battalions. Germany had no strategic bombers capable of actually hurting Britain bad enough to put it out of commission.
As much as I hate to say it, they had 2000 planes, we had 500.

And yes, they had bombers, do you forget, thats how the blitz worked?

You bomb the hell out of everything THEN send your army in, so yes, they did have a capable air force, the best in the world at one point.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:10 AM
miyoun Offline

Quote:

You bomb the hell out of everything THEN send your army in, so yes, they did have a capable air force, the best in the world at one point.
THOUGHT AMERICA ONLY BOMBED JAPAN.

oh james.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:

Quote:
At the start of the battle, the Luftwaffe had 2,500 planes that were serviceable and in any normal day, the Luftwaffe could put up over 1,600 planes. The RAF had 1,200 planes on the eve of the battle which included 800 Spitfires and Hurricanes.
www.historylearningsite.co.uk

A British site, btw.

Also, the Germans had tactical bombers. A Stuka can't put a dent in a city. According to Wikipedia, they had an almighty 7 four-engine bombers in 1940.

And yes, they had the best air force at one point. Not by the Battle of Britain though.

Art Gallery

Last edited by Lusankya; 04-20-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Masami Offline
Banned

I apologise folks, I got the casualties confused with the actual force. you can flame me now.

Spoiler:

Allied:
544 aircrew killed
422 aircrew wounded
1,547 aircraft destroyed
Axis:
2,698 aircrew killed
1,887 aircraft destroyed

EDIT: I know thats untrue, their Messurspit (sp?) which I think where the bombers, they had many, many, many of.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

All Messerschmitts were fighters. The Germans had bombers, but they were virtually all small tactical bombers rather than 4-engined strategic bombers like the Flying Fortress. German bombers were designed to support ground forces by attacking small, concentrated targets. They were not designed to pulverize city blocks.

Art Gallery