Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Shuricel Offline
Master Trainer

Default Re: What makes a good (bad) villain?

For me, the villian has to be threatening. This may seem obvious, but there are many stories where they just...aren't.

The villian has to pose a visible threat, and be able to take the actions to be threatening. He can't just sit around in his evil castle all day and cackle evilly while the heroes are out saving the world. Show him killing someone (not just a random stock character, either), taking away the hero's hope, completely crushing the hero.

This is a reason why the Joker was so effective. He was psychotic and you had no clue what he was going to do next.

This signature was made by the magnificent NEO PIKACHU.
Now go praise him, you.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Another way to make the villain terrifying is to make someone that is harmless and innocent, menacing and evil. Seems to work out lol.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Hmm, now here's a tough question.

It's hard to define what 'makes a good villain'. There are many different types- the raging psychopath (think the Joker), the cruel, calculating, scaaaary villain (think Voldemort), the charismatic, sly villain (can't think of an example... xD), or the silly, humorous, spoof-ish villain (Bowler Hat Guy, he's from Meet the Robinsons). As a general rule, 'For the Evulz' type of villains tend not to work, unless it's meant to be kind of a spoof or caricature. It honestly depends on the story or situation.

It's difficult to put villains into categories, however. There are many different types of villains.

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 09-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Rival Silver Offline
Elite Trainer

A good/bad villian is that who has a good back story and decent motivation with years of schemeing of something truely cruel and terrifying. They take the upmost procaution to try and make their plan to succeed and make sure theres not something stupid and simple like the "Self-Destruct Button" or something like that.

<--- Credit to Doodlebop|Credit to Temporal Snake
Old 10-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Megiddo Flame Offline

I am putting Lucemon as the villain of my Digimon fic, and the Twelve Devas will be his commanders when they attack the Real World.

Here are some spoilers for future parts
Prior to the beginning of the fic, Lucemon deleted the Four Sovereigns (Azulongmon, Ebonwumon, Baihumon, and Zhuqiaomon), and used their data to make twelve generals to conquer earth.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
.... can you give an example?
Spoilers for Bioshock:
In an almost ironic way, Andrew Ryan was one. We perceive him as a villain only under the circumstance that we were directed to believe he was a villain by Atlas. In the end, we learn of Ryan's vision, his life, and his world spiraling out of control from the offense of Fontaine. He died by his own accord (commanding Jack to kill him, specifically turning off his own Vita-chamber so he dies for real), and did so even though all of the acts up until Ryan's death was considered evil when in actuality, it was simply war.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:55 AM
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Spoilers for Bioshock:
In an almost ironic way, Andrew Ryan was one. We perceive him as a villain only under the circumstance that we were directed to believe he was a villain by Atlas. In the end, we learn of Ryan's vision, his life, and his world spiraling out of control from the offense of Fontaine. He died by his own accord (commanding Jack to kill him, specifically turning off his own Vita-chamber so he dies for real), and did so even though all of the acts up until Ryan's death was considered evil when in actuality, it was simply war.
I think, generally speaking, any story about war makes the villain this way if done right; they're the bad guy because the heroes are fighting against him, but if you were from the villain's point-of-view, the heroes would seem to be the bad ones. Think WWI if you're into history, as the painted "villain" in that war, Germany, was doing the same thing everybody else was doing (killing and battling for, when it really comes down to it, no freaking reason), and yet they wound up being tarred as villains and saddled with war debts because the people fighting them won and got to decide that.

Stupid tangents aside, I think there are seriously an infinite amount of villains that work; it just depends on how well they're written and what tone you're going for. I get a real kick out of the flamboyantly evil ones, the ones who damn well know they're evil and flaunt it like a status symbol, but that really only works in comedies.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:27 AM
Cobalt Scream Offline

Anybody here read Skulduggery Pleasant? Yes? No?

I think the villain (fourth book and onwards) is actually really fascinating because the villain is also the hero - in a sense. The hero has a darker side and people that read the future sense that she'll destroy the universe on her own decision - and not by someone controlling her.

I think that kind of connection between the hero and villain makes it so much more exciting.

Of course, those insane lunatics that think nothing of slaughtering people are also exciting... especially (in, say a fantasy book) they have powers that are unimaginable, like destroying cities with a click of a finger. Something that poses a threat... it's great.

Just a personal link.

Interested in URPG
Old 11-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Actually, I think I've figured it out.
  • The villain has to be diabolically clever. Typically, they're smarter and they're more charismatic than those around them. Some may find the villain so charismatic that they may even betray their allies to join forces with them. Also, the villain needs to be clever with their operations, and make plans that no one is going to see coming.
  • The villain needs to have ridiculous luck. Which means as a result, their plans almost always reach completion, people by the truckload suffer for what the villain does, and it seems like barely anyone can stand in their way. In addition, they rarely, if ever, see any trace of karma for what they've done. Yes, this is where Team Rocket flounders.
  • The villain needs to be enjoying the evil that they do. In addition to that, taunts, sneers, insults, and other demeaning actions against the good guys are a good plus, they make them get under their skin and the reader will really begin to grow to hate them. Whether the villain is madly insane or is an apathetic overlord, they need to be comfortable where they are and be willing to do just about anything to remain that way.
  • The good guys need to be helpless against the villain for a good long while. Whether you're talking about Captain Aizen from Bleach, the Joker from the Dark Knight, or Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, the main characters almost never even get the chance to lay a scratch on the villain, and even if they do, their attempt gets laughed off, pushed aside, and once again, the good guys become the victims as everyone else suffers around them. Very often, the good guys are scrambling to try and do something about the villain, and most of their attempts are met with utter, humiliating failure. It works even better if the good guys find themselves fighting amongst themselves due to disagreements of how to handle the situation, or belief that one among them is acting as a double agent for the villain.
  • The villain needs to keep gaining power. Whether its in the form of actual raw physical or magical power, influence and/or territory, or forms/abilities beyond what most people can be able to obtain, a good villain knows they can't use old tricks all the time, even if they have a certain kind of "signature" pattern they enjoy implementing. With this in mind, they need to be dynamic and evolve further and further to become stronger and more menacing. If they start slowing down, you're leaving open the potential of the reader discovering their downfall.
  • They need to be unpredictable. Which means as they change, don't have them using the same form of attack or offensive measure over and over again. It can follow some kind of pattern that's personalized to that villain, but it can't be the exact same thing over and over again. One, it gets boring, and two, the good guys would be able to pick up on it and be ready for it. In addition, a villain that "ups the ante" and makes the stakes higher and higher are even better.

In truth, I can't help but deny that after writing this list, I think I can come up with some pretty good ones.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Cobalt Scream Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Actually, I think I've figured it out.
  • The villain has to be diabolically clever. Typically, they're smarter and they're more charismatic than those around them. Some may find the villain so charismatic that they may even betray their allies to join forces with them. Also, the villain needs to be clever with their operations, and make plans that no one is going to see coming.
  • The villain needs to have ridiculous luck. Which means as a result, their plans almost always reach completion, people by the truckload suffer for what the villain does, and it seems like barely anyone can stand in their way. In addition, they rarely, if ever, see any trace of karma for what they've done. Yes, this is where Team Rocket flounders.
  • The villain needs to be enjoying the evil that they do. In addition to that, taunts, sneers, insults, and other demeaning actions against the good guys are a good plus, they make them get under their skin and the reader will really begin to grow to hate them. Whether the villain is madly insane or is an apathetic overlord, they need to be comfortable where they are and be willing to do just about anything to remain that way.
  • The good guys need to be helpless against the villain for a good long while. Whether you're talking about Captain Aizen from Bleach, the Joker from the Dark Knight, or Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, the main characters almost never even get the chance to lay a scratch on the villain, and even if they do, their attempt gets laughed off, pushed aside, and once again, the good guys become the victims as everyone else suffers around them. Very often, the good guys are scrambling to try and do something about the villain, and most of their attempts are met with utter, humiliating failure. It works even better if the good guys find themselves fighting amongst themselves due to disagreements of how to handle the situation, or belief that one among them is acting as a double agent for the villain.
  • The villain needs to keep gaining power. Whether its in the form of actual raw physical or magical power, influence and/or territory, or forms/abilities beyond what most people can be able to obtain, a good villain knows they can't use old tricks all the time, even if they have a certain kind of "signature" pattern they enjoy implementing. With this in mind, they need to be dynamic and evolve further and further to become stronger and more menacing. If they start slowing down, you're leaving open the potential of the reader discovering their downfall.
  • They need to be unpredictable. Which means as they change, don't have them using the same form of attack or offensive measure over and over again. It can follow some kind of pattern that's personalized to that villain, but it can't be the exact same thing over and over again. One, it gets boring, and two, the good guys would be able to pick up on it and be ready for it. In addition, a villain that "ups the ante" and makes the stakes higher and higher are even better.

In truth, I can't help but deny that after writing this list, I think I can come up with some pretty good ones.
That is one great answer... lol this'd be a really good guide to making enemies :)

Just a personal link.

Interested in URPG
Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Damn, Neo, I think that pretty much says it all. xD

For me, I love villians with a little class. If you have them be charismatic, all the better, teehee!

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links