Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Giratina Offline

Default Titles.

Because I am frantically searching for something to spark my interest in writing WHW/Abecedarian again, and this place is kinda boring anyway, time for some good old TITLE DISCUSSION. Feel free to comment on other people's, otherwise there will be no actual talking and the thread will die. :c I didn't include WIPs here unless mentioned in another entry, so you all haven't seen the extent of my titling wit, but...

DOUBLE-TIME: Never posted here, thank the heavens, but this title basically comes from the fact that the main protagonist was split into two separate entities. This title will likely be used again for a different and much better story.

THE GALAXY KEY/METAL COAT: The Galaxy Key was an important (or supposed to be important, it didn't get much airtime >>) object in the story. Metal Coat was a reference to one of the main characters, who upon being transformed into a Magnemite did indeed spawn a metal coat... in addition, some other people grew 'metal coats' of their own, hard exteriors that tried to protect them from what was going on. Those wavered pretty fast.

ROCK MEGAPHONE: Like The Galaxy Key, the Rock Megaphone (as well as the other treasures) featured prominently in this story.

INDEBTED: The story of how Zero came to be Giratina's assistant - after she saved him from the wrath of Arceus, he was indebted to her for the rest of eternity. Normally one would think that going before Arceus would be better, but trust me, in the Archiverse it isn't.

BEASTS LIKE US: Focuses on the Legendary Beasts, Suicune in particular. Just picked it because it sounded catchy and fitted "BLU"; YLW (Yield: Live Wires) and RED may come later on, focusing of course on Raikou and Entei.

ABECEDARIAN: An archaic word which means 'of or pertaining to the alphabet'. Take a wild guess which Pokémon feature prominently in the fic.

THE CAT AND THE CRADLE: From "Cat's in the Cradle", of course. This was a minor songfic, in that the general gist of it was the same but the details were different. Regardless, I still used the lyrics as scene switchers. XD

WINGS HAVE WE: Wings have we, and as far as we can go, / We may find pleasure: wilderness and wood, / Blank ocean and mere sky, support that mood / Which with the lofty sanctifies the low. -William Wordsworth

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 10-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Titles.

The last four are much better than the others. Double-Time and Indebted are rather generic names. Galaxy Key is again, generic. Rock Megaphone less so, but the words give a general sense of "wtf", which I don't think is desirable in the title XD

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 10-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Giratina Offline

For the most part, they were very much in chronological order, so that's a relief. XD The Galaxy Key is bland beyond expression, but I must admit it holds an immense amount of nostalgia - plus, TGK is a pretty epic acronym. xP Indebted and Double-Time (thought up sometime around 2007, shudder) I won't defend, because you're quite right... and Rock Megaphone is an item, so I can't say anything about that. XD

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 10-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Megiddo Flame Offline

I'm calling my sequel to my Digimon fic "Digimon: The Great Frontier", as it will involve Spirit Hybrids.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Doodlebop Offline

I'll be honest. I stink on ice at coming up with titles for things. I have issues naming just about anything.

In a fanfic I'm writing (keep an eye out for it, folks... maybe I'll actually finish it), the title is Fall of Legends. It's totally cheesy, but I can't think of anything else. x.x

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 10-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

The best name I came up with is the name Eternity of Time, the co-written fic between me and Michelle.

Basically, since time is freezing, and if you get frozen with it, you'll spend eternity trapped, neither living nor dying. It also points out that with time frozen, it'll be an eternity of frozen time. It kinda references that fact and distorts it a little :)
Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 AM
Dr Robotnik Offline

I have trouble coming up with names unless I know exactly what I want to happen, which ends up being fairly difficult since I'm prone to pull plot twists that catch myself off guard XD

I try to keep my titles simple, though. Mostly because I don't want to feel like I'm making it too over-the-top or somehow unrelated to the events of the book in some way.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

I'm not too bad at titles depending on what the story's about.

Team StormRiders was easy - that's the name of their team! xP

Redeemer; Sanguine Sky was a little different. Those of you that have read the first chapter - which is like the entire story lol - will know why sanguine sky is in there.

I want to write a Bleach fanfic now, but I'm not far enough along yet - or understand it nearly enough - to write it. I have no idea what to call it. XD

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 10-23-2010, 04:56 AM
Winter Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Winter

Eh, I'm horrible at coming up with titles, actually my friend is pressing me to come up with one for a fic I'm currently enterianing her with about a vampire that honestly has a plot similar to a screwed up version of Vampire Knight, only minus all the massively confusing plot twists.

Banner by me! | My dA | My FF.Net
Old 10-23-2010, 05:16 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumori Gem View Post
I'm not too bad at titles depending on what the story's about.

Team StormRiders was easy - that's the name of their team! xP

Redeemer; Sanguine Sky was a little different. Those of you that have read the first chapter - which is like the entire story lol - will know why sanguine sky is in there.

I want to write a Bleach fanfic now, but I'm not far enough along yet - or understand it nearly enough - to write it. I have no idea what to call it. XD
Yeah Gem - thanks to you, that's how I got the name for Sonic Shift [3]: Sanguine Snow XD Although, the name fits...An abnormal winter (snowing in summer, yo 0o'), lots of fighting (ironically enough, most of the blood spilled will be Skye's. This "chapter" is the one where he gets his arse kicked a lot).

Hurray! XD All the names of my stories have to do something with the plot - Dark Storm (evil is on the horizon), New Moon (Sonic's transformations occur nightly, as in not requiring the moon), Doomsday (reference to the villain and the fact it will be a pretty big fight...As well as one character dying and not coming back) XD

Oh, and Sonic Shift is basically meaning that we "shifted" from one universe to another. Infection is...Well, I can't tell you ;)
Old 10-23-2010, 05:50 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

I'm beginning to think that maybe I should have named Lunar Legends (because of all the Trio Legends involved) instead of Lunar Destinies (because of an obvious destiny tied to the Moon pokemon Cresselia--and also the bitter sweet ending I have planned), but oh well. ^^'

[This is a Spoiler, Scy or other peoples who haven't played Colosseum, in case you ever read this ^^']Purified was named thus because, One, the main characters go about trying to purify Shadow Pokemon; two, Wes is trying to redeem himself for the crimes he committed.

I guess I have an okay time--usually--with finding titles, but the last little Short Story I posted, "Vatonage", I had the hardest time thinking of a title. I'm not entirely sure I'm happy with that title, but still. ^^ There are two other short stories I plan on posting, too, called "THe Victory", "Artic Treasure", and "All in a Day's Work". The last one there is the closest to completion ^^

And sorry for going on, but this is kinda fun. :D There's three other stories that haven't really come to fruit yet, but have titles already xD One was a MD story called "Silver Skies", then the other is a Journy fic called "Footsteps of a Leader" (meh, something like that), then "Chronicals of the Sentinels". I don't know if you're interested in those, so I'll stop there. ^^'

*pokes Grassy* Is it called Infection cuz... it has something to do with a disease? ^^'

Old 10-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmander009 View Post
*pokes Grassy* Is it called Infection cuz... it has something to do with a disease? ^^'

*Sly grin* Yes...AND no.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Dr Robotnik Offline

If you think about it, Doomsday also references the final stage of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the Doomsday Zone. Of course, I'm probably the only one who would notice it XD
Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

I can be creative. But sometimes I really just epically fail.
  • Bonds of friendship... or even more. - REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad. I'm not even starting. I made this back when I didn't know much about fanfiction at all.
  • PokeWars I Redux/Remix - Same as above.
  • Fyre Spin - This is when I really started writing fanfictions. Modeled after the attack Fire Spin. I thought it was someone creative, considering the plot.
  • Auras of the Galaxy 2: Pirates of Sevii - Ugh... no.
  • Hearthome High - Interesting. I think Halloweentown High inspired this, but I'm not sure.
  • Sacred Fyre - The fact that Fyre Spin was modeled after Fire Spin inspired this.
  • Dragonwings - Decently creative. Dragonbreathwings.
  • The Cosmos of Soldimar - An actually rather creative title.
  • Birth By Sleep - ... no, not creative at all.
  • Delphi's Tale - Meh. Not really creative. But it's to tell the story of Delphi post Fyre Spin.
  • Hearthome High II: Miss Sinnoh - Never really happened. But no, this title wasn't exactly creative. But the plot kind of was, considering the ending to Hearthome High I.
  • The Cozmos of Dyrk - Not creative after looking at The Cosmos of Soldimar, right?
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon I: Rescuers of Land and Sea - Generic change-up.
  • Tears of the Forgotten - When you think about it (and Google it), it really isn't creative at all.
  • The Story of Master ??? and the Deities - No, not creative.
  • A Nobody's Mai - Yes, rather creative. It just sounded catchy.
  • The PokéBible - No, not creative.
  • Memoirs of an Alakazam - Kind of inspired by Memoirs of a Geisha.
  • The Aleph Archipelago - I mean, it's a place in the story...
  • House, P.C. - Definitely creative, comparing MD to PC.
  • The Cyber Codex - It's a thing in the story.
  • Equilibrium - Considering the plot and what was required, yes, it was creative.
  • Song of Victory - Not really creative.
  • The Horror of the Ilex Forest - Maybe creative...?
  • The Space-Time Axis - Named after something in the 12th Pokémon movie.
  • Knights of Honshu - Named after Knights of Cydonia, the Muse song.
  • The Aura Guardian's Apprentice: Broken Prophecies - The first part is taken from the Sorcerer's Apprentice. But the subtitle might catch your eye; how can a prophecy be broken?
  • Forever Dawn - Taken from the original sequel to Twilight, originally named Forks.
  • Pokémon Chronicles: Chains of Friendship - Sounds like something straight out of Barney.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Cobalt Scream Offline

I tend to make titles about a character or important item in the book, almost like the Harry Potter series...

I don't do fanfics though. I make things from scratch.

Just a personal link.

Interested in URPG