Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat
Default Any NaNoWriMo Ideas Yet?

For those planning to enter NaNoWriMo this upcoming November, do you have any ideas? Have you started planning anything out yet, or is it still in your head? Can you even decide between all of your ideas yet? xD

For those who don't know what NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is, it's a challenge to write a 50,000 word (roughly 175 pages) novel, beginning from November 1st and ending on midnight on November 30th. Now, you don't have to limit your novel to 50,000 words, but the challenge is to write at least that much by midnight, November 30th. It's all about quantity, not quality, during NaNoWriMo. It's forcing you to just write without going back and editing and proofreading (that's for December xD).

Also, your "novel" can be ficiton or non-fiction.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/ <--- more information here.

I'll add my input in a while. :3

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Giratina Offline

Default Re: Any NaNoWriMo Ideas Yet?

I'm just going to pick one of my many, many fanfiction ideas and fly with it for thirty days (of PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN). Or take another try at last year's idea... though I don't think that's very likely, seeing as last year's was never completed.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 05-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

50,000 words in a month?

You know, I probably could do it, provided I had absolutely nothing else going on with my life at the same time. Hate to say it, but since most people have work and school, especially around November, it really spoils the idea.

To be honest, I never knew anything like this existed, but I might give it a shot. I have all kinds of crazy ideas always in my head, so coming up with material wouldn't be hard. Its just being able to make the deadline that would be a little tricky.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Giratina Offline

Psst: you are allowed to do less than 50,000, but if you're over eighteen and want to track your progress on the website you'll need to be masquerading as a younger person. :P

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 05-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Why November? Why not during the summer, when most of us aren't burdened with school? :/

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 05-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Giratina Offline

JulNoWriMo, that's why. =D November was just... the month they picked, I suppose. Besides - no pain, no gain, yeah?

(vpp da)
Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giratina View Post
JulNoWriMo, that's why. =D November was just... the month they picked, I suppose. Besides - no pain, no gain, yeah?
Oooh, nice. :3

I agree that November is a pretty random month to devote to writing. I might consider doing this July if I can get my idea worked out by then. The story that I want to use is an extension of this URPG story I wrote last, last summer. I want to take the story in a somewhat new direction, but I have problems deciding exactly what direction that is. I have a fallback plot, but that one isn't as thought out as this last one.

The only story plot that is worked down almost to the tee is a sequel. *facepalms* xD

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Oh yes.

I have tons of ideas. But I don't know which one I'm going to do. Dx

50,000 is definitely not a problem. I was able to write almost 60,000 words in two months in the midst of a lot of responsibilities and family issues. I shouldn't have any family issues this November, so I'll have more time to write. =]

Old 05-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

This sounds extraordinarily fun.

I'm going to do this to kickstart my novel idea. Thanks for posting about this, Kat! n_n

Old 05-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Shuricel Offline
Master Trainer

I know I'm going to be doing it this year. I failed last year, mainly due to a ton of personal crap ahahaha

For ideas, probably this one. It'd been developed a lot more and other characters have been added, but I don't feel like typing it all out right now, so here's a basic summary I wrote for a friend:

"THIS IS THE STORY OF A BOY NAMED EVAN.

When Evan was out of college he found out he was the heir to a demon throne through a cousin of the main king who happened to turn human by a loophole in a contract. Due to civil war and frequent uprisings, right now he's the closest heir. So one day a demon went up to him and went

"Hey Evan, HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE THE KING OF THE UNDERWORLD? lD"

And Evan replied.

"Kind of you to ask, but...No."

So the demon went away, back to the underworld. However, he accidentally left the gateway wide open. This is bad, as several demons dislike the current state of affairs, and decided to pack up and move on out. So they head on up to to Earth and decide to gather their legions under an Earthly leader, which would be the one who happens to have the most demonic energy.

Which happens to be Evan.

Yeah, he's kind of pissed. Especially since it turns out that the demons take no measures to hide themselves whatsoever, so there's been a panic in the NorthEast as more and more of these freakish creatures move in.

To make it even better, the government has started taking measures to eradicate these creatures after a few incidents in which people died. Evan also feels uncomfortable since they've started tracking and locating demons via demonic energy emission. Evan is lucky enough to have an extremely high amount of this yaaaaay!

He has got to be able to harness some of that energy into cool powers or the like, right? Right? pff SINCE WHEN HAVE I EVER BEEN THAT KIND TO MY CHARACTERS. Human bodies have severe trouble harnessing it, and if they do they tend to gain a fatal amount of damage. However, he may get to display symptoms that make him stand out even more lD

So when one night he's walking home and he's caught by a government sector under the assumption that he's an incredibly powerful demon who's smart enough to disguise themselves as a human. This does make a small amount of sense, since he's being stalked by a small army of demons 24/7 and he's radiating enough energy to power a small bomb.

I'm sure Evan will have a ton of fun explaining why that's happening."

This signature was made by the magnificent NEO PIKACHU.
Now go praise him, you.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

Quote:
Psst: you are allowed to do less than 50,000, but if you're over eighteen and want to track your progress on the website you'll need to be masquerading as a younger person. :P
Um, no you don't. In fact I'm actually certain the the majority of Nanoers are adults. Age has very little to do with it, it never has. It certainly isn't something to be ashamed of.
I did nano once in 2005 and I only got to 25,000. Even though I had nothing better to do Thanksgiving killed me :\

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 07-18-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Giratina Offline

There is a special website that allows you to change your goal; however, that website is not allowed to be used for users under eighteen. If you wanted to do a 30,000 word story and you're over eighteen, well, stinks to be you.

...Also, did you just bump the thread? :c

(vpp da)
Old 07-18-2010, 02:45 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

Quote:
There is a special website that allows you to change your goal; however, that website is not allowed to be used for users under eighteen. If you wanted to do a 30,000 word story and you're over eighteen, well, stinks to be you.

...Also, did you just bump the thread? :c
I think you mean under 18 then, not over. And Yes I did, but being as it is still on the first page and there are still matters about Nano to be talked about, rather than make a new topic on the same page about the same thing it seemed neater to comment here.
I know I haven't been here in a while but the rules for the writing sections of the forum are a bit looser for being simple's sake if I remember right....
Anyway, I am not sure if I will be trying again. My old nano is still not edited from all those years ago, but I still love the tone of it, as it was never written to add in extra words so much as just type out the story as it came to me. When words are like water it is an amazing feeling :D

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 07-18-2010, 04:24 AM
Draconic_Espeon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via MSN to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Yahoo to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Skype™ to Draconic_Espeon

For anyone with doubts, it's possible to finish, I promise you. =D

I joined NaNo about two years ago (or, at least, it'll be two years in November). My first time I only got about 10k, but last year I did finish. I still plan on doing it this year, provided I have time. I do actually have a plot in mind now, because I was going to try and use it as a WAR entry and realized a few pages in that there was no way I could get it done in time, or at a manageable length. Not and do the plot justice, anyway. So, unless I figure out something I like better, I'm going with it. It involves dragons and music.

-doesn't care that thread was bumped-

Old 11-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator

I'm just using my fanfiction as my "novel," since it's the only thing I have the muse for at the moment. Prolly'll post it up here, assuming it doesn't get abandoned like 90% of my stories do.

50,000? Bring it on, man.