Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  
 

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 PM
HKim's Avatar
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,075
Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Lightbulb Expansion: Branch Interaction

There has been a lot of discussion between the URPG leaders about how a new URPG branch at Bulbagarden would interact with the current setup at PE2K.

One of the main concerns is that when the BMG branch opens, the new members won't be able to compete with PE2Kers who have had months (if not years) of experience with the system. Quite simply, our pokemon will outmatch theirs in all respects. We know the system better.

This is an issue for the Initial Release Committee to address, but since it's such an important issue, I decided to get this thread started for them. Some topics may related to aspects the Interforum Logistics Committee may need to deal with.

The question is, what should we do?

Here are a few solutions already suggested:
  • Have PE2K members restart their stats on BMG
  • For the first few months, restrict PE2Kers in some fashion whenever they battle new BMG URPGers
  • Apply no restrictions and rely on the honor system

If you have any other suggestions, we would love to hear them.
__________________
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

I say we don't limit it. I mean, we don't place limits on battles between old and new members now.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Stinky's Avatar
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,794
Send a message via AIM to Stinky
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

Why are new members joining URPG at BMG and battling URPGers at PE2K any different than new members at PE2K battling URPGers at PE2K? :|
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Ayotui's Avatar
Ayotui Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: im guessing you know by now
Posts: 1,832
Send a message via AIM to Ayotui
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

i agree with what khajmer said, i mean it would be like limiting the more experienced urpg members when theire battling the never members in pe2k.
__________________


URPG VPP
Quote:
BlueJelloJelly (21:16:43): Alex walked into the woods with his trusty Magikarp. Suddenly, OMFG a Porygon-Z appeared! Magikarp used Splash! The Porygon-Z fainted! Alex threw a Pogeyballz and it wobbled like two Diglett at a night club.
Quote:
lord khajmer (20:38:29): Bubble KO gg
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 PM
iReign's Avatar
iReign Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: hmm
Posts: 2,193
Send a message via AIM to iReign Send a message via MSN to iReign Send a message via Skype™ to iReign
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

If we're going to do this we might as well make a URPG site, and then just let the pecking order automatically form.
__________________

life is a btch, but i appreciate her
AIM: ireignorshine
urpg
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Near's Avatar
Near Offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brawl, FC: 2492-4014-3553
Posts: 1,366
Send a message via AIM to Near Send a message via MSN to Near
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

Can't we wait till I finally pass a ref test before we get new members trying to get them left and right. 0_o
__________________
Blue X Near



Click "Near" for my Stats, and "Blue" for BJ's Stats.

I WILL NOT BE ACTIVE FROM JUNE 24TH TILL JULY 2ND.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Fierce Deity's Avatar
Fierce Deity Offline
Ultra RPG Official
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,700
Send a message via AIM to Fierce Deity Send a message via MSN to Fierce Deity Send a message via Skype™ to Fierce Deity
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
I say we don't limit it. I mean, we don't place limits on battles between old and new members now.
^This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Why are new members joining URPG at BMG and battling URPGers at PE2K any different than new members at PE2K battling URPGers at PE2K? :|
^This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayotui View Post
I agree with what Khajmer said. I mean it would be like limiting the more experienced URPG members when they're battling the newer members in PE2k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReign View Post
If we're going to do this we might as well make a URPG site, and then just let the pecking order automatically form.
Most new sites take a long time to set up and operate properly, not to mention taking years to become active. Besides, most PE2k members wouldn't find the motivation to move over there for URPG..lol. But I guess a separate site for URPG wouldn't be bad, it could work out in the end depending on the dedication and work put on it, along with a good committee.
__________________
URPG
POL Stats

WAR XI Team: .
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Marth's Avatar
Marth Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingdom of Altaria
Posts: 4,206
Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

A list of potential issues to adress – Interforum Logistics

1. Banned members.

Would members banned due to PE2K-rule breaking be able to participate in the pURPG in the bURPG? (And viceversa)
If the answer is yes, the following issues ensure:
-The banned member not able to participate in events held in the other forum, such as auctions or tournaments since it’s not able to post there.
Solutions:
-To make a “mirror link” on the other forum so that those who wish to participate may sign up in this mirror link. The person in charge of the even will read this mirror link and add the registered banned members to the original thread.
-To not allow those banned to participate at all.
If the answer is no, the following issues ensure:
-The banned member can make an account in the other forum as well, being able to participate in the URPG nonetheless due to the lack of an inter-forum IP detection mechanism.
Solution:
There is no way to detect a banned member’s account on the other forum. If there is an IP ban, if no proxy is used, we would notice when the specific member avoids posting on the banned forum. But in reality there is little we can do about it. The best option would therefore be to simply allow banned members to participate.

2.- Trainer stats

Would stats be required to be posted on both forums?
-The answer is no, but you may do so if you want to. However, keeping both stats updated is quite a hassle.
-Another solution is to list a member’s name but link to the original stats in the original forum. This would require a constant update on both forums for each new member though.
-The easiest thing is to state that you must NOT post your stats in both forums – only in one, and link to those stats when required.

3.- Trading Pokémon.

-Trading Pokémon inter-forums should be allowed, for it offers a bigger selection than just one forum. The easiest solution would be to promote two different accounts, but in the case of banned members, an AIM chat should be begun, in which both members state their trade in the presence of an official, who would then approve the trade in any forum.

4.-Fake accounts.

What if someone posts as someone in PE2K and does something wrong? One would eventually find out the truth about the fake account, but it would be better to avoid taking risks. I suggest that in the main stats of a trainer’s stats a link is posted to the other forum’s personal profile. If there is no other forum account, simply state so.

5.- Starter requests

Do we want a forum-exclusive Pokémon offer? Probably not, there is no point in limiting either forum. However a trainer should post the stats in the same forum in which he requested a starting Pokémon.

6.- Rules (I mean every rule-like thread such as the encyclopedia) should be posted on both forums, with a special section for inter-forum interaction rules.


7.- Pokémon leagues.
Do we want two different leagues with one elite four and one champion? Two leagues, two elite four and two champions? Or perhaps, the addition of “Gym trainees”, an idea suggested in the past, in which a specific trainer must be defeated before challenging the gym leader. There is no answer for this. The easiest would be to create two leagues and one single elite four, and thus only one champion. This would allow for a biggest selection of leagues to challenge, not to mention, more challenges to complete. However, it would be unfair for those who started @ PE2K to gain the gym position of a Bulba garden due to having more time playing the URPG. Perhaps to limit each gym section to those who began in each forum would be adequate.

8.- Pokémart, daycare center and similar threads.

Unless there is the suspicion of cheating, a member should be free to post in either forum.

9.- Auctions.

Perhaps the hardest issue insofar. Members on PE2K have more money, therefore, it would be easier for them to win a Pokémon over a bulbapedia garden.
-Proposed solution: Twin auctions, in which a Pokémon is auctioned in both forums at the same time. You may only bid on your original forum.

10.- Tournaments

No tournament should be exclusive to one forum, thus, a mirror link should be posted in the other forum. Of course, a beginning tournament for Bulbapedia trainers would be an excellent idea to promote participation.

11. Reffing logs

One reffing log, one forum.Wages should be posted for the members on each forum to avoid confusion.

12. The Park
In this point I'd like that whoever ends up running this committee has a lot of communication with T-tar. Most probably, individual Roleplays can be done on any forum, and perhaps a second Main RPG should be posted. Each trainer can only go to the park on their OWN forum, but rangers are free to work on any forum, giving priority to the newest rangers in bURPG.
__________________
By Khajmer
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD

Last edited by Marth; 03-10-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Stinky's Avatar
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,794
Send a message via AIM to Stinky
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth View Post
7.- Pokémon leagues.
Do we want two different leagues with one elite four and one champion? Two leagues, two elite four and two champions? Or perhaps, the addition of “Gym trainees”, an idea suggested in the past, in which a specific trainer must be defeated before challenging the gym leader. There is no answer for this. The easiest would be to create two leagues and one single elite four, and thus only one champion. This would allow for a biggest selection of leagues to challenge, not to mention, more challenges to complete. However, it would be unfair for those who started @ PE2K to gain the gym position of a Bulba garden due to having more time playing the URPG. Perhaps to limit each gym section to those who began in each forum would be adequate.
I really disagree with the two gym leagues. Part of the fun of having a gym is that only you can give out the badge, so people have to come to you- which reflects itself in your record. If there were two leagues, for example, which gym leader would you challenge in order to get a badge- someone who doesn't know what they are doing, or an experienced veteran like Haze? Gym trainees or a single league would be the best answer imo.

Plus, in-game there aren't two Pewter Cities.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Marth's Avatar
Marth Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingdom of Altaria
Posts: 4,206
Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
I really disagree with the two gym leagues. Part of the fun of having a gym is that only you can give out the badge, so people have to come to you- which reflects itself in your record. If there were two leagues, for example, which gym leader would you challenge in order to get a badge- someone who doesn't know what they are doing, or an experienced veteran like Haze? Gym trainees or a single league would be the best answer imo.

Plus, in-game there aren't two Pewter Cities.
Whoever said about two pewter gyms?
The fun of this would be that the alternative gym series would be four different whole leagues. So you need to defeat all of the other gym leaders to get through.
In a sense, your gym would still be the only of its kind ^^
__________________
By Khajmer
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Lord Fedora's Avatar
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Y'all stay off my property!
Posts: 8,471
Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth View Post
A list of potential issues to adress – Interforum Logistics

1. Banned members.

Would members banned due to PE2K-rule breaking be able to participate in the pURPG in the bURPG? (And viceversa)
If the answer is yes, the following issues ensure:
-The banned member not able to participate in events held in the other forum, such as auctions or tournaments since it’s not able to post there.
Solutions:
-To make a “mirror link” on the other forum so that those who wish to participate may sign up in this mirror link. The person in charge of the even will read this mirror link and add the registered banned members to the original thread.
-To not allow those banned to participate at all.
If the answer is no, the following issues ensure:
-The banned member can make an account in the other forum as well, being able to participate in the URPG nonetheless due to the lack of an inter-forum IP detection mechanism.
Solution:
There is no way to detect a banned member’s account on the other forum. If there is an IP ban, if no proxy is used, we would notice when the specific member avoids posting on the banned forum. But in reality there is little we can do about it. The best option would therefore be to simply allow banned members to participate.
Interesting conundrum presented there. I agree, I think the most logical idea is to allow banned members to play. If they haven't learned their lesson they're just going to get banned again.

Quote:
2.- Trainer stats
Would stats be required to be posted on both forums?
-The answer is no, but you may do so if you want to. However, keeping both stats updated is quite a hassle.
-Another solution is to list a member’s name but link to the original stats in the original forum. This would require a constant update on both forums for each new member though.
-The easiest thing is to state that you must NOT post your stats in both forums – only in one, and link to those stats when required.
This is of course irrelevant if you use a personal board for stats.

Quote:
3.- Trading Pokémon.
-Trading Pokémon inter-forums should be allowed, for it offers a bigger selection than just one forum. The easiest solution would be to promote two different accounts, but in the case of banned members, an AIM chat should be begun, in which both members state their trade in the presence of an official, who would then approve the trade in any forum.
Also agreed.

Quote:
4.-Fake accounts.
What if someone posts as someone in PE2K and does something wrong? One would eventually find out the truth about the fake account, but it would be better to avoid taking risks. I suggest that in the main stats of a trainer’s stats a link is posted to the other forum’s personal profile. If there is no other forum account, simply state so.
I also think that we should make it a rule to confirm with a person on BMG if they choose to open a brand new account on PE2K or vice versa via VM or IM, to ensure that no one tries to get away with using another person's stats on another forum.


Quote:
5.- Starter requests
Do we want a forum-exclusive Pokémon offer? Probably not, there is no point in limiting either forum. However a trainer should post the stats in the same forum in which he requested a starting Pokémon.
Hm... might be worth considering after Gen V comes out, since we'll have so freaking many mons, but for the moment I don't think forum exclusive mons will be logical, particularly since it'd be easy as pie to get one from the other side.


Quote:
6.- Rules (I mean every rule-like thread such as the encyclopedia) should be posted on both forums, with a special section for inter-forum interaction rules.
That goes without saying. Additionally, we should ensure that each thread is in line with any rules the other forum might have. Dunno where we would be in conflict but just in case it should be reviewed for every new forum just so we're certain things don't get screwed up inbetween.

Quote:
7.- Pokémon leagues.
Do we want two different leagues with one elite four and one champion? Two leagues, two elite four and two champions? Or perhaps, the addition of “Gym trainees”, an idea suggested in the past, in which a specific trainer must be defeated before challenging the gym leader. There is no answer for this. The easiest would be to create two leagues and one single elite four, and thus only one champion. This would allow for a biggest selection of leagues to challenge, not to mention, more challenges to complete. However, it would be unfair for those who started @ PE2K to gain the gym position of a Bulba garden due to having more time playing the URPG. Perhaps to limit each gym section to those who began in each forum would be adequate.
M'kay, here's my take. Obviously, given that every Gym except Pumello currently has a leader, no member of BMG or any other forum we might stretch our tendrils to is going to have a decent shot at a gym any time soon, particularly since all of the LOs are PE2K members. Therefore, I think rather than that, we should have as follows:

The five (soon to be six) core leagues, will have a group of League Organizers, one from each forum that we're rooted in.
Each forum should have it's own independent league which they will create on their own. In order to challenge another forum's league you must first defeat your own, but you can't be in another forum's league.
Each forum will have its own E4. Defeat your forum's E4, you get a shot at...
The Champion. Only one champion. Only one. In all of the branches of URPG, there shall only ever be one champion.

NOTE: Reference to "your own forum" or "another forum" references your home forum, where you signed up, and any other URPG branch.

Quote:
8.- Pokémart, daycare center and similar threads.
Unless there is the suspicion of cheating, a member should be free to post in either forum.
I don't see a reason for that, if every Mart has the same items up for grabs. It would just confuse things imo. Then again I just proposed a fairly elaborate new League system so I'm hardly one to talk.

Quote:
9.- Auctions.
Perhaps the hardest issue insofar. Members on PE2K have more money, therefore, it would be easier for them to win a Pokémon over a bulbapedia garden.
-Proposed solution: Twin auctions, in which a Pokémon is auctioned in both forums at the same time. You may only bid on your original forum.
Rather than that for every auction (although occasionally it seems smart), we're probably going to have officials in other forums so let's let them have the power to host their own independent auctions, and PE2K's officials will also retain that power.

Quote:
10.- Tournaments
No tournament should be exclusive to one forum, thus, a mirror link should be posted in the other forum. Of course, a beginning tournament for Bulbapedia trainers would be an excellent idea to promote participation.
Agreed on all points. Plus there's going to be the obvious and inevitable forum vs. forum tournaments that I know we're all looking forward to once the BMG branch gets on its feet.

Quote:
11. Reffing logs
One reffing log, one forum.Wages should be posted for the members on each forum to avoid confusion.
Makes the most sense, I think.

I'll muse over other issues and post them as well and my potential solutions later.
__________________
URPG/ASB Stats
98% of teens won't stand up for God. Repost this if you think that statistic is the most laughable thing ever.
My new AIM username is GrayFedora12. Do not respond or click on links from any IMs from LordKhajmer.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 PM
HKim's Avatar
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,075
Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

Another league idea is to split the leagus evenly between the two boards.

Have Kanto, Johto, and the Orange Islands (the older leagues) on PE2K while Hoenn, Sinnoh, and the new region will be on BMG.

Members can challenge whatever gym they want.
__________________
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Marth's Avatar
Marth Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingdom of Altaria
Posts: 4,206
Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKim View Post
Another league idea is to split the leagus evenly between the two boards.

Have Kanto, Johto, and the Orange Islands (the older leagues) on PE2K while Hoenn, Sinnoh, and the new region will be on BMG.

Members can challenge whatever gym they want.
However, that would mean that the current Hoenn and Sinnoh gym leaders would have to give up their position. Which would be a bit... unfair and extreme.
Any thoughts on the gym trainee idea?
__________________
By Khajmer
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Xalapeno's Avatar
Xalapeno Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Not Soviet Russia
Posts: 4,016
Send a message via ICQ to Xalapeno Send a message via AIM to Xalapeno Send a message via Yahoo to Xalapeno
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth View Post
However, that would mean that the current Hoenn and Sinnoh gym leaders would have to give up their position. Which would be a bit... unfair and extreme.
Any thoughts on the gym trainee idea?
For now I think we could have trainees in the already established gyms.

This allows for the BMG people to get experience from the leaders (or in some cases teach the leader something).

Alternatively we could also have 2 seperate leagues with 4 other Elites and another champion.

If we do this, then we'd have to label them as League A and League B.

If you get the badges from one league, you can NOT use them in the other one. So basically you'd have 2 badge cases.

Thats just an idea.
__________________
VPP GYM URPG RAWR

I made Soviet Bidoof, Jokester Jesse made this kick@$$ banner.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Stinky's Avatar
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,794
Send a message via AIM to Stinky
Default Re: Expansion: Branch Interaction

Ehh. I'm really kind of iffy about the two gyms (like Olivine A and Olivine B), I just don't really think that it would be quite like in the games, which URPG bases itself off of. I'm more on board with the gym trainees idea, especially in the early stages: it would allow for successful gym leaders from PE2K to help out new BMG members. If we did have to add another league though, I think it would be added later- as we don't want to implement a new gym league along with opening up a whole new branch at BMG.

So, I say, in the early stages of BMG expansion we have gym trainees, and if there's a massive amount of support for a new gym league at BMG, we can implement it then. :o
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: AlienSector.com