Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » First & Second Generations

First & Second Generations Discuss the first and second generation games: Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:01 PM
puredragon222 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Default Need Visual Boy Advance Link Help! (Legal)

Now just before I say any of this, know that I own a Gameboy Advance Sp, a Gameboy Link Cable, Pokemon Silver Cartridge and all other hardware and software that you would need to do this in real life. So, don't harp on about 'OMG VBA iz not legal!1!!!1 I are reeportin you!!!' please. I'm not sure if talking about ROMs is legal on pe2k though, so feel free to smugly correct me on that if it isn't.

I have been playing a Silver ROM the past few days because my real one's internal battery ran out. So I have a Scyther on my team, and I just got the Metal Coat on S.S. Aqua. I wonder if I could get a Scizor without cheating. So, I find VBA Link, and follow the instructions. Two separate VBA windows open, both playing Pokemon Silver. I've renamed the save states to Pokemon Silver.sg1 and .sg2, and it didn't recognise them, like they didn't exist. They were in the same folder as VBA Link. I decide to try renaming them to .sa1 and .sa2. Still nothing. I have changed none of the original settings on VBA Link, except changing 'Pause while inactive' to off, which it reccomends I do. Is there some trick to getting it to recognise my savestates? Does VBA Link even work for Gameboy Games, or just GBA? And to get them to trade, do I just have both open and go into the trading place? The answers to this, and more, will be revealed in the next post! Hopefully.

TL;DR: Go read it *******.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: Need Visual Boy Advance Link Help! (Legal)

You just screwed your savestates by changing their extension. sg1 and 2 is right. There's no real need for savestates in G/S anyway, but if you must know I can go test it out. While I go test things out, make sure that the savestates are in the same folder as the ROM or you're 110% screwed.

For trading, yes, have them both open and start trading. Set the controls for Player 1 and 2 to different ones or you'll have problems controlling it.

Also, don't swear at the people who read your post or they might be put off. Humph.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 01-14-2010, 10:27 PM
gamelord Offline
Experienced Trainer

Wait one sec, I didn't even KNOW you could trade on Visualboy! I guess I'll try and see if I can do it, and I'll try to help.
Uno Friend Code: 0818-3771-4290
Old 01-14-2010, 10:35 PM
The pokemaster Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to The pokemaster Send a message via Skype™ to The pokemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelord View Post
Wait one sec, I didn't even KNOW you could trade on Visualboy! I guess I'll try and see if I can do it, and I'll try to help.
You cant with the regular vba. You need ad special one called vbalink and it can open numerous games at once to let you do multiplayer (trading etc)

^URPG Stats^
Banner/Avi by Blue Dragon of BMGf
Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 AM
puredragon222 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
You just screwed your savestates by changing their extension. sg1 and 2 is right. There's no real need for savestates in G/S anyway, but if you must know I can go test it out. While I go test things out, make sure that the savestates are in the same folder as the ROM or you're 110% screwed.

For trading, yes, have them both open and start trading. Set the controls for Player 1 and 2 to different ones or you'll have problems controlling it.

Also, don't swear at the people who read your post or they might be put off. Humph.
Hmm... It still doesn't work. After deleting the .sa1 and .sa2 files, considering them useless, I got my backup of the same file in it's original VBA-friendly format. Renaming them to .sg1 and .sg2 as reccomended, I was (again) revealed that to VBALink, they didn't exist. So, I felt stumped that I wouldn't get my Scizor, at least not on this file. I also felt humiliated by VBALink, like it was mocking me. I was probably a little too tired. Anyway, I decided that I may want to later replay the game and trade, so I tried to do it with two new files. Starting two new files, one with save-state 1 and the other with no. 2. I picked different starters, caught a Pokemon and am now at Cherrygrove City. No matter how many times I talk to the woman at the same time on both games, she says 'Your friend is not ready.' Is this due to my not-far-ness in the game, the fact they are both playing off the same .gbc file or my own incompetence.

Also, they appear to be using different .sanumber files, as pressing F1 on the Savestate-2 file did nothing, and vice-versa. Could this also be a problem?

PS. SOrry about the swearing, although the word I used was dumba**, not B******

Last edited by puredragon222; 01-16-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Because I wanted to.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

D'oh. Forgot all about this thread.

Try this emulator:

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php...y/tgbdual.html

Not sure if it works because my main machine is down for upgrades and my GBC ROM is there, but you could give it a shot.

Crash course on vba savestates:

Save states are named like this:

(game name)(save state number).sg(player number)

Game name would be the exact name of the ROM.
Save State Number indicates which save state it is and thus what button you press to load it. 1 would indicate you need to use F1 and 2 would be F2, so on and so forth up to 9.
Player Number indicates which "player" the save state belongs to. A .sg1 file belongs to Player 1, a .sg2 file belongs to Player 2, etcetera. This goes up to four players. This also applies to actual save files (i.e. with .sa(number) extension).

As for Player number, it refers to the number of the VBALink window which is not explicitly shown. As you know in VBALink, you need to open more than one VBA window to link up, and you do so by double-clicking the VBA icon the required number of times. Player 1 would be the first window opened and Player 2 the second and so on and so forth. When restarting your VBALink close all VBALink windows and open them again, or you'll end up using the Player 3 and 4 slots instead of Player 1 and 2. If you forget which window is which number, good luck to you... although you can easily check in-game in most games. Or by pressing the keys for each VBA.

I hope this helps you a bit more. Calm down, think about it rationally, and if it doesn't work do a Google search for GBC Linking. Something is bound to come up. Like that link I gave you.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 AM
Perish by Ice Offline
New Trainer

Would anyone mind if I asked a question here as well?
All of a sudden my save files of ROMs such as Shiny Gold and Pokemon Orange won't open in my visual boy advanced. They used to work without a problem but now they suddenly claim to be an unsupported file type.

Any reason this could be happening? Although I can not try anything or provide screenshots at the moment because my lappy has been with my mom's work friend all weekend because it's been acting up and he agreed to look at it. I get it back tomorrow evening and until then I am borrowing my mom's lappy.

But when I get my lappy back I can provide screenshots if desired.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 AM
The pokemaster Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to The pokemaster Send a message via Skype™ to The pokemaster

Screenshots would be nice. It is possible, that the change from you laptop to your mumshas stuffed it, of that you mums laptop doesnt like the file. Its also possible that u accidentally edited one of the settings, so that it doesnt recognise it

^URPG Stats^
Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Perish by Ice Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The pokemaster View Post
Screenshots would be nice. It is possible, that the change from you laptop to your mumshas stuffed it, of that you mums laptop doesnt like the file. Its also possible that u accidentally edited one of the settings, so that it doesnt recognise it
Oh no no no, I didn't put anything of mine on my mom's laptop she would never allow that. I am only borrowing hers for the internet access. It's all still on my own lappy.

I will provide a screen shot tomorrow when I should be getting my lappy back. I know I said today but I didn't realize then that it's MLK day and she doesn't go into work.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Did you change your VBA version from then? It might be a compatibility error between versions, especially save states. From what I know, save states from VBALink 1.7.2 don't work in VBALink 1.8.0 and vice versa.

And as someone said, you could have probably killed the settings. Try a fresh VBA download then. You can take VBA-M if that doesn't work.

Worst case scenario maybe you can send me your files over email and I'll see if I can recover it.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 AM
The pokemaster Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Did you change your VBA version from then? It might be a compatibility error between versions, especially save states. From what I know, save states from VBALink 1.7.2 don't work in VBALink 1.8.0 and vice versa.

And as someone said, you could have probably killed the settings. Try a fresh VBA download then. You can take VBA-M if that doesn't work.

Worst case scenario maybe you can send me your files over email and I'll see if I can recover it.
Oh, you dont even mention ma name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewtwos Purpose View Post
Oh no no no, I didn't put anything of mine on my mom's laptop she would never allow that. I am only borrowing hers for the internet access. It's all still on my own lappy.

I will provide a screen shot tomorrow when I should be getting my lappy back. I know I said today but I didn't realize then that it's MLK day and she doesn't go into work.
Lol, your mums like Mine :P

Well, like someone said (see it aint nice Starki :P), There are often incompatibilty between versions, so have you updated you vba system recently?

Also, another possibilty is that you have edited the bit on the end of the save file name. They are spose to end in '.sg(numberhere)' I think . The number is the save file number. So check the save itself and tell us whats is called.

^URPG Stats^
Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Perish by Ice Offline
New Trainer

Hmm I didn't realize it was possible to update it. How do I do that?
I have never tampered with the file names.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewtwos Purpose View Post
Hmm I didn't realize it was possible to update it. How do I do that?
I have never tampered with the file names.
I'm guessing you didn't change your version then.

Download VBALink 1.7.2 and VBALink 1.8.0 fresh off the net and try again for both. :X

How to update VBALink:
1. Download the ZIP file.
2. Unzip to preferred location.
3. Open the VBA in that folder.
4. ???
5. PROFIT

Check your filenames anyway, someone *else* might have tampered with it.

Apologies to the pokemaster, I was lazy to scroll up and check names. :X

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 01-22-2010, 05:16 AM
The pokemaster Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Just download new one like Starki said. If that doesnt work, then you might need to start your games again.

And lol Starki, I'm just messing with you XD

^URPG Stats^
Old 01-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Perish by Ice Offline
New Trainer

That's strange,I just tried to download VBAlink 1.8.0 and it turns out that is what I have.

EDIT: by the way the files are all .sgm
I didn't do that though nor did anyone else this is my personal laptop.

Last edited by Mewtwos Purpose; 01-22-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Closed Thread